McKinley Manor Pt. 01

Story Info
Jake finds a home and more.
12.3k words
4.69
57.7k
104

Part 1 of the 3 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 02/20/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'm sorry!" He yelped as he jerked back his hand with a furious blush spreading over his cheeks. Jake was still rather unaccustomed to the feel of her soft skin and the things it did to him and was embarrassed to know she could feel his reaction. She would never forgive him for this.

Hang on, Let's start at the beginning. It's no fun jumping straight in. You must understand...this was never meant to happen.

Jacob McKinley was a shy young man. Having been schooled at home by his mother, he had little interaction with those his own age until he had gotten his motorcycle licence at 16. It had been his first taste of freedom.

For once he could go where he pleased, when he pleased, as long as his schooling and chores were completed he had nothing to hold him back. These days were blissful and carefree...little did he know that trouble was just around the corner.

As Jake began to venture into the wide world, he made a few friends. He found it fascinating to study the behavior of two friends specifically, Mark and Matthew, twin brothers who were only a few months older than him. They were so outgoing and confident, especially around girls. They found Jake to be a smart and hilariously funny third musketeer and did everything they could to help him fit in with the crowd.

As Jacob's 18th birthday came and went, he watched his good friends starting to build their lives. They were growing up and away from their small town but Jake was happy here. He had made a decision to stay and look after his mother, even if it meant never going to college or...He didn't want to think what that meant for his chance of finding a girl.

"Jake!" Came the voice from down stairs, "Can you take these to the post office for me?"

"Sure, I'll be right down." He called to his mother. He had learned to be very obedient towards his mother over the years. He loved the woman dearly but she could be cruel when she was angry. She often tormented him for her own amusement and when he stood up to her she would hit him. She always compared him to his lousy, no good father who he didn't really remember when she thought he might defy her and had bullied him mercilessly the one time he had brought a friend over who happened to be a girl.

But for all her faults, Jacob loved his mother. He chalked her anger and mistreatment of him up to the fact that she was lonely and that she had terrible mood swings with her blood sugar. He knew she would never live to be old as she refused to acknowledge or treat her diabetes and heart problems but vowed to do what he could for the only parent he had ever known.

"Hurry up, they close in an hour! While you're in town, pick up some cookies and get me a soda, and not that diet crap."

"Yes ma'am." Said Jake with a gentle kindness she didn't truly deserve. "Do you mind if I stop by the shop? It's Matt's last work day before he heads to Alabama."

"Fine, just don't be past dark. I'm going to try to cook again if you're not back by 6. I'll starve to death if I don't."

"Please don't momma. Last time you set the kitchen curtains on fire. I'll be home soon enough." And with that he was out the door.

The warm wind kissed his face as he rocketed down the county road that ran into town. The feeling of the sun on his leather shrouded shoulders felt like the embrace of some exotic beauty from one of his mother's novels she liked to read. He smiled to himself as he adjusted the throttle and listened to the smooth performance of his bike.

This beautiful machine was Jacob's only possession of real value. It had been the only thing his father had ever sent him since he could remember. He imagined his father had felt bad about the radio silence over the years and was trying to make amends somehow. It had been his one escape over the past couple of years when his mother was angry beyond reason, for that, he was exceedingly grateful.

As Jake hit the first light in town he rumbled to a stop, flipped up the wind screen on his helmet and dabbed his face with a bandana from his back pocket. He looked over to see two pretty middle aged women with strange looks on their faces staring at him from the front seat of a minivan. He flipped his face shield back down, winked at them and revved his engine, jumping to 30 as he passed under the freshly green light. He was ahead of them and away but not so fast that he didn't catch their blushes of admiration.

Jake was good looking, even if he didn't admit to it. He had unruly brown hair with natural highlights from all his time in the sun that perfectly complemented his warm brown eyes. He was big but not imposing at nearly 6 foot and 240 pounds. Most of him was lean muscle from working on various local farms during the harvest and taming and shoeing horses in his spare time. Jacob was strong but gentle as he knew just how strong he was.

He pulled into the post office parking area and killed the engine. The sounds of a late summer day rose up to fill the silence left behind and Jacob took a moment to savor it. Winter was deceptively close, just around the corner.

Jake slid the packages from his saddle bags and refastened the straps. Carrying the parcels gingerly, he entered the post office. As he set his mother's shipments on the counter, the girl on the other side grinned at this rugged biker that had just sauntered into her dull life.

"What can I do for you?" She asked.

"I need to mail these, the addresses and postage are on them, I just hate to drop them in the box."

"Oh, sure. Hey, aren't you Mark's friend?"

"Probably the only one he has left after that party at Dean's. He made a total ass of himself. He should have known better than to try to pick a fight with Ben."

"Yeah, well I was just wondering...could I get your phone number?" She blurted out, immediately turning the color of a cherry.

He gave her a roguish grin and took the proffered pen and paper.

Matt swore loudly as his head throbbed and stars burst across his vision. He ducked out from under the lift rubbing the goose egg now rising on the right side of his head.

"Just one more miserable hour here and one more miserable night in this God forsaken town." He thought. He was angry his brother wanted to stay but understood he liked the simple life of the shop and the locals but as for Matt, he wanted out.

"Watch your head, bro. There's a wheel there!" Mark chuckled warmly once he saw his brother hasn't sustained any critical injury.

"Thanks for the heads up." Matthew growled through clinched teeth, still rubbing his head. The brothers perked up and fell silent suddenly as a low rumble became audible.

Jacob rolled to a smooth stop and tugged his helmet off in the open doorway of the garage, grin plastered on his face as he swept his fingers through his thick hair. He looked undeniably cool and Matt couldn't help but be a little jealous of his old friend and his good looks. Jake could have any girl he wanted but never realized his potential.

"A little birdy told me you were leaving me." Jake teased, a mock pout ruining his otherwise tough appearance.

"Little bro, you know this place is killing me. Besides, Ann's going to bama to study at Auburn, I love her. Guys, I'm going to ask her tonight and leave with her tomorrow."

"Go for it Romeo. I already know she's gonna say yes so congrats in advance." Jake said with a genuine smile and a pat on the back. He was going to miss Matt. When people left this town, they rarely came back.

Jacob pulled both of his friends in and hugged their necks. This was the last time he knew that he would see them together, possibly for many years. No matter what, he knew they would never forget their friendship.

As Jake made his way back up the winding county road, with groceries stowed neatly in his saddle bags, he caught a strange scent in the air.

The sky had an odd hazy glow to it in the twilight ahead and a wave of uneasiness washed over him. He picked up a little speed as he topped the ridge and almost lost control of the bike as he saw the plume of smoke rising from the cluster of trees he recognized, even from this distance, as his mother's property.

"Mom." He raced ahead, reckless speed be damned, only slowing enough to turn into the drive before racing up to the house which was engulfed in flame. Jacob watched in horror as black smoke billowed out of his home. He was shaking with adrenaline and fear.

"Mom!" He had to find her. Covering his face with his leather sleeve he ran into the inferno. The world was a swirl of grey and black with surreal glimpses of objects he had seen every day that now seemed menacing in the confusion of smoke. He pushed his way past a fallen shelving unit that had been filled with his mother's crafting supplies and climbed over the sofa trying to make his way to the kitchen.

That was when he saw her, his mother's unconscious form lying on the tile floor of the kitchen. He reached her and scooped her up, his strong arms and back straining under her considerable weight, magnified by the fact that she couldn't help him lift her. He cradled her to shield her as best he could from the debris and smoke as he clamored over the various obstacles and extracted them from the house. Gasping for air he cleared the door of the house, head spinning from lack of oxygen, and he collapsed with his mother's limp body still in his arms.

Jacob awoke as he was being loaded into an ambulance. The oxygen mask over his face felt strange but he felt too drained to do anything about it. His head was throbbing and the faces and equipment in the ambulance swam before his eyes. He winced a little at the barrage of sounds that assaulted his ears and felt his stomach lurch as the ambulance started it's journey into town.

Jake awoke to a friendly looking nurse jotting notes on his chart. As he stirred, she looked up and gave him a sad smile.

"You're a brave one. How are you feeling?"

"Like I was run over by a log truck, but other than that I'm great." He said, feeling the stiffness all over. A deep ache in his right leg told him he had suffered some kind of injury but it still moved and wasn't in a cast so it couldn't be that bad.

"Is my mom doing okay?"

"Oh dear, let me go fetch the officer for you. He wanted a word anyhow." She squeaked as she scurried out.

He stiffened in his bed. She wouldn't answer his question, something was wrong. A gentle knock on the door jolted him out of his thoughts.

In stepped a young officer, no more than five years older than Jake himself, with sandy blonde hair and thin lips. He was shorter than Jacob and lean built but his steel grey eyes had an intimidating light to them.

"Good morning Mr. McKinley, my name is Jonathan Watts. Your nurse says you're on track to be released this afternoon, how do you feel?"

"Well enough, where's my mom?"

"I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but your mother, Miss Jones, didn't make it. She died of smoke inhalation, coroner confirmed it about an hour ago."

Jake's mouth was moving but no sound escaped as his world screeched to a halt. No tear fell. He felt numb, his mom, the only family he really had, the one who cared...was gone.

"Mr. McKinley, I understand that this is a lot to process but your house is gone and your mother is gone. Do you have any other family you can contact?"

"Yes." said Jake, finally getting his mouth to move, "My father. I haven't seen or spoken to the man since I was a child. I don't know if he'd take me in or not."

"Do you have any contact information for him?" The officer asked gently, seeing the boy struggle. He couldn't imagine what he was going through.

"His phone number hasn't changed that I know of. Mom never let me call him for fear he'd be hurtful but I memorized it in grade school."

"If you can give me his number I'll gladly talk to him for you and see if he'll do anything to help you. I understand if you're a little hesitant to talk with him after so long."

Jake just nodded and gave the officer the number, the officer stepped out into the hall and dialed the number.

"Hello, Mr. McKinley, this is officer Jonathan Watts with the Jefferson County police department. I'm afraid I have some rather difficult news..."

Jake's eyes finally began to well up as the scope of his situation was setting in. No mom, no home, his bike probably got it too, no food, no money, no insurance to cover anything because his mother didn't believe in that nonsense. He didn't think his dad would offer him a place and he didn't have a way to get anywhere. What on earth was he going to do?

"...Yes sir, thank you sir. I certainly will and again, I'm sorry for your loss...You too, goodbye."

Officer Watts stepped back into the room smiling gently.

"Your father said he'd love to have you and that he would wire you some travel funds to the post office here in town. He also gave another number, I'm assuming his house phone, for you to call when you got close for directions to the house."

"I don't have a vehicle, my motorcycle had to have been destroyed, I parked it real close to the house."

"Your bike is fine, when the structure collapsed it fell the other way, your mother's pickup is toast though. Sorry." He winced at his own bad play on words. It was inappropriate, he felt sorry for the kid. "If you want, when my shift is over, I can give you a lift to the post office and back to your bike." He offered weakly.

"Thanks." Jake said glumly.

Nine hours later Jacob was running down the interstate letting his mind go blank. All he possessed was two wheels, a helmet and five hundred bucks his dad had wired him. He intended to hang on to as much of that money as he could in case things went sour at his dad's and he needed out. Exhausted but momentarily free of his crushing emotions, Jake let the road and the warm evening sweep him away into the darkening sky.

Dawn found the young man at a rest area, sleeping on a bed of springy clover, using his arm for a pillow. He was chilled as the dew had fallen and his riding jacket had been cut off of him by the emt workers that had rescued him.

He sat up and stretched as the aches from the day before flared and brought reality crashing down on him. He checked his bike over and found the groceries his mother had asked him to get, a lump formed in his throat at the thought. He shook his head, strapped his helmet on and hit the road once more.

As the sun began to sink in the West once more, Jake eased the bike up the offramp and pulled into a service station. He dismounted and walked inside to borrow a phone. Catching the attention of a petite brunette behind the counter, he explained that he didn't have a cell and wondered if they had a phone he could use. She turned a corded phone around on the counter with a gentle smile, he nodded politely in return. Pulling the slip of paper officer Watts had given him out of his pocket, he dialed with shaking fingers.

It was ringing.

"Hello, McKinley Manor. Who, may I ask, is calling?" A bright female voice with an unusual accent said in a crisp, almost professional manner.

"Uh, Yeah," Jake said a bit shocked and unsure, "I'm Jacob McKinley, Rick's son. He said I was to call and get directions to the house."

"Oooh!" The voice squealed in excitement. "We are expecting you, sir. Where are you precisely?"

Jake relayed his location and the excessively friendly voice gave him directions. From his current position the trip would still take him nearly an hour. He thanked the girl behind the counter and was gone.

The grandfather clock in the hall struck seven as she heard the rumble of a motorcycle coming up the long drive to the house. The manor was her familial home which she was more than happy to share with her husband and now his son as well. Gretschen had been lonely growing up in this big house with nobody but Ellie to keep her occupied. Now that she was grown and her parents had signed the house over to her she couldn't imagine leaving these safe and comforting walls behind. She liked her husband's name for the house, McKinley Manor, it made it sound stately and old fashioned. It was a big old house but not massive, four small bedrooms, three bathrooms, a kitchen, dining room, parlour, entrance hall and drawing room.

There was an old carriage suite in the lower floor large enough for a two horse team and buggy that was now a carport. The decorative gardens were still maintained as the house had been deemed a historical site and a small fountain splashed in the front courtyard.

It was a splendid home, filled with love and memories, she hoped it would be a welcome environment for Jacob. Poor thing had just lost everything in this world but his father and he had never really had much contact. She wondered what the young man would be like.

The doorbell chimed and she heard Ellie open the door and squeak in delight. Gretsch rose gracefully from her chair and went to meet her stepson.

Jacob could hardly believe his eyes as he approached the huge house. He and his mother had lived in a hovel compared to this. His dad must be a drug dealer or something, the mansion looked like the home of a bond villain or a romance author.

He parked his bike at the side of the house and made his way to the front door. He fiddled with the hem of his dirty grey shirt as he rang the bell and waited. The door sprang open and a warm light spilled out into the deepening night. A short, round little woman positively squealed with gladness at the sight of him. The woman ushered him through the door with much chatter in what he assumed was German.

He stepped over the threshold to find a warmly furnished but old-fashioned room with a coat rack and umbrella stand by the door and a sweeping staircase leading to the upper floor. Descending the stairs was one of the most elegant women he had ever seen.

She was in her late twenties at the oldest and an unusual beauty. She wore no makeup but had flawless skin and long lashes framing dusky blue eyes beneath naturally well shaped brows. Her lips were full but not too big for her heart shaped face and she had a small, slender nose with a rounded end. Her genuine smile reached her eyes and they twinkled as she studied him.

She wasn't the most slender woman, her full figure was well proportioned and her jeans and soft cotton shirt gave her a young soccer mom feel but somehow she seemed knowledgeable beyond her years. This woman held herself like an empress. Even though she seemed warm and kind, she radiated authority and poise.

There he was, a spitting image of his grandfather. She had seen the old man's military pictures and the boy could have been a carbon copy. Jacob McKinley, what a nice name, also after his grandfather. The young man looked like a deer in the headlights, he must be so overwhelmed. She sighed inwardly and smiled at the boy, trying to give him every comfort and be as welcoming as possible.

"Jacob, I'm so pleased that you made it safely. I'm Gretschen." She offered him her hand to shake.

He took her delicate hand in his large, rough one and did the only thing fitting he could think of. Dipping his head and raising her knuckles to his lips, he kissed her hand and blushed.

"It's very nice to meet you, ma'am."

Now it was her turn to flush slightly at his gesture and nice manners. She had not expected that...that...woman, for lack of words...to raise such a gentleman.

"Please, come in. If you need anything I will be happy to help, and of course Ellie is around about once a week to check on us, she's about to head home for the night. Dinner will be on the table in about half an hour, would you like to see your room?"

"I have a room?"

"You always have had." Gretsch said with another glittering smile as she turned and made her way back up the stairs, Jacob trailing behind.