Megan Ch. 03

Story Info
Finally finished. Hope it was worth the wait.
5k words
4.26
92.2k
61

Part 3 of the 3 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 01/07/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Slirpuff
Slirpuff
4,277 Followers

That night I went back to my place and for once didn't drink a drop. I'd shown her, she in turn had shown me, and now I'd taken it to the next level. The only question I needed an answer to was what I wanted going forward.

I thought I'd been happy down here or was I kidding myself? People don't live in Key West, they exist because everything costs three times as much down here. I really didn't have much of a life but I also didn't have to answer to anyone except the guy who owned the bar. I slept on it and woke up the next morning still wondering what I wanted. It took two more days to finally make up my mind. I looked out my window that morning and saw the rain coming down and knew the streets would be flooded and the place would smell rancid until everything dried up. I wanted my kids and maybe Megan, that is if we could go back to what we'd once had.

Answer the fucking phone! I screamed into my new cell as the phone rang at my parent's house. On the tenth call my mom finally picked up.

"Morning Rick," she said with an exasperated tone in her voice.

"Where is she?"

"Packing up as we speak. She gave you a second or was it a third chance and you fucked it up!"

"Wrong, she fucked it up! She was the one that started it and she was the one that ended it when she had me served. I'm not saying I didn't do some stupid ass things, but our marriage had been going downhill for months before it imploded."

"Rick honey, what do you want?"

"First, I want you to stop running interference for Megan and I want to see my boys."

"Can't help you there. Like I said, you booked and Megan will have full custody when she files again before she leaves to God knows where."

"Ask her not to do anything until I can get back up there. Then, if she still wants to fight it out in court we can go at it and throw what's left of our marriage on the bonfire and watch it burn."

"Rick, I can't promise you anything but I'll talk to her." She went quiet. "But, this is the last time, you hear me?"

"Yeah, I hear you, but if it all goes sour you won't have to worry about me any longer." I left that statement open ended.

I thought about flying but what I had left with me down here I wanted to keep. So, I loaded all my earthly possessions, filled up my tank with gas and got ready for my return trip.

On my way out of town I hit the bank, cashed the twelve grand check, and emptied my savings account. Probable wasn't a good idea to be traveling with twenty grand in cash, but what the hell, I'd done stupider things.

I drove almost straight through which I wouldn't suggest to anyone. I had to stop once and sleep for a couple of hours when I found myself drifting from lane to lane. The only good thing was it gave me one hell of a lot of time to think.

Kids. That's what we'd been acting like. Tit for tat was the norm rather than the exception over the last couple of years. Mature couples talk, immature adults get mad and do stupid things. Looks like we both fell into number two.

It took a day and a half but I made it back to Minneapolis in one piece. I got no warm welcome from either my mom or dad.

"She packed up her car this morning and headed out. Said she was tired of trying to talk to an asshole. Her words not mine," my mother told me.

"Did she say where she was going?"

"Nope, and didn't ask. She did say that when she got to where she was going she'd let me know but not to tell you." She had a wide grin on her face.

"Bitch," was the only world that covered this situation.

If Megan thought she knew me, she was definitely wrong. With twenty grand burning a hole in my pocket I made a call to Dave, an old friend of mine who just happened to be a lawyer.

"She took off with my kids and said she was going to make sure I was never going to see them again. She can't do that can she?" I said to my new lawyer. "You're not divorced right?"

"She threatened me last year and even got a restraining order against me, but eventually stopped everything. I think she's trying to take them out of state."

I was lying through my teeth and never mentioned the fact that I hadn't been home in the last year and a half.

"I know a judge that hates to see husbands get screwed over in the courts. And hates it even more when the wife takes off with the kids. Let me give him a call and see what I can do."

Two hours later Judge Reynolds signed an order for Megan to return my boys to me and backed it up with a warrant for her arrest. I'd heard about Amber Alerts but didn't know much about them... I didn't have to... her red Toyota was being looked for by everyone on every highway in Minnesota. My mom and her parents weren't happy with me when they saw the Amber Alert on TV.

"Steve, what the hell have you done? Her mom shouted at me as her father held her back."

"I want my son's back and since we're still married that's my right by law."

"You left her!"

"She filed papers on me. Hell, I had to get a court order to even get my clothes out of my own house! I guess I can thank you for that piece of work," I said looking at her father.

"I was only trying to protect my daughter and grandsons."

"If everyone would have stayed out of our business two years ago, maybe none of this would have happened."

"If you would have acted like a responsible husband and father instead of an immature teenager I wouldn't have had to do what I did." Okay, he had me there.

"Well, she's not going to get too far," I told both sets of parents. "Maybe this time she'll be forced to talk to me."

It took almost six hours before they caught her. She had stopped for gas and the attendant recognized the car. Ten minutes later she and my boys were in a squad car headed back to Minneapolis. I was told in advance she wasn't happy.

Our first meeting was in a conference room at the jail.

"You had me arrested? Really? The police even pulled their guns on me before I was handcuffed and thrown in the back seat. You really are a piece of shit, you know that?" She was letting me have it with both barrels.

"You want to talk?" I asked.

"Tried that for over a week in Key West, got no where."

"You never told me that we were still married. Remember, the last I heard, was that you wanted the house, my 401k and my ball cut off and bronzed. You'd already cleaned out our savings and checking accounts, what was I supposed to think?"

"Dad did most of that."

"No, he didn't. You let him do those things."

"Whatever! Just drop the charges so I can move on."

"Sorry, no can do. Not until you and I come to some kind of understanding."

"You know the charges aren't going to stick. My dad is already talking to a lawyer and by the end of today I'm going to be out of here anyway."

"Yeah, but I'm going to have custody the boys, at least for the time being." She glared at me. "And to answer the question you asked me in Key West, no, I haven't taken anyone to bed since I left and frankly I don't believe you haven't."

"I unlike you never fucked anyone and got an STD."

"Now we're splitting hairs. You were the one that wanted a free pass to expand your knowledge remember?"

"Like I said, unlike you, I never went all the way." She was smirking at me now.

"Well, if you hadn't ratcheted it up, we'd still be married."

"You idiot, we're still married."

"On paper only. We haven't been married in the true sense of the word in almost two years. Ever since you started your Friday girl's nights out." She was quiet this time. "And, how you managed to lose everything is beyond me. I sent you money every week. There was more than enough to make the house payments. All you had to do was swallow your fucking pride and take the money. But no, you had to be stubborn lose everything" She didn't look so high and mighty now.

"It was just a fucking house, no more no less after you left."

"I didn't leave, you drove me away! Remember?"

"And you slept with that slut... and don't give me that shit that it didn't count because you were drunk. There are thousands of men spouting the same excuse divorced every day. And I didn't serve you papers until you walked out."

We weren't getting anywhere, but at least we were talking even if it was just to hash over our past mistakes.

"When are you leaving?"

"Not. At least for a while. Gave up my job down there and I'm not sure what

I'm going to do just yet."

"Well in that case it why don't you take care of the boys until I get this matter straightened out. Take them out to dinner; they like Chuck Cheese if you can remember back that far."

"Enough with the cheap shots. Where are their clothes?"

"In the trunk of my car that's been impounded thanks to you."

"Then, I'll take them to the store to get a change of clothing. And don't worry, I won't tell them their mother is going to be an ex-con."

"Funny, very funny, you're a real joker."

"Well, at least I'm not the one having to go back to jail." See didn't look so smug when a lady guard escorted her back to her cell.

Her parents were taking care of the boys and weren't happy when I arrived to pick them up.

"You got my daughter thrown in jail. How can you be such a lowlife?" her mother said as her dad stayed behind her. I think if he'd said anything I would have decked him. He'd been the one to empty my bank accounts and get me served.

"I'm just here to pick up my boys," I said. It wasn't a request.

"My daughter will be out in a couple of hours. Why don't you wait until then and we can all sit around and talk."

"Carol, not going to happen. I'm here to pick them up now. You can either send them out or I'm going in and get them. Your choice." The look she gave me wasn't special.

"Okay, it'll be just a minute."

"Now Carol!"

They came running out and flew into my arms.

"Dad, you should have seen it. They had the sirens going and even had a roadblock. They cuffed mom when she started yelling at them. Can we go get her now?"

"Maybe after we have dinner. You guys hungry?" Stupid question. When aren't growing boys?

We didn't go out for pizza. I'd had too much of that over the last couple of days and wanted a good meal for a change. We ended up at Long Horn Steak House.

They talked nonstop telling me that mom and them were going to live in Chicago with a friend of hers. And, that they were going to get a puppy as soon as they found a place to live.

"Dad, you could come too. I know mom would like that." Out of the mouths of babes.

"I don't think mom's too happy with me right now and besides, I'd rather live where it's warm."

"Are we all going back with you to Key West? It's really nice down there. Maybe we could go on a plane again. That was really fun." To them, everything was...really.

After dinner we hit Target and got them a change of clothes. It had been a long time since I'd taken them shopping and now I remembered why. They were all over the place, running around and grabbing for everything they even thought they might like. An hour later we walked out with two outfits each; they couldn't decide on which one they liked the best.

Mom wanted us to spend the night with her, but as soon as I entered the house I felt the tension, especially from my dad. When he started in on me with, "a good father doesn't run away from his responsibilities," I told my mother I'd maybe see them tomorrow.

The boys loved the indoor pool at the Holiday Inn. They wore shorts and I had a pair of cutoffs that worked. We ordered ice cream from room service and by 8:30 they were in bed half asleep while I watched something on the tube.

Let me rephrase that, the TV was on, but I wasn't watching it. My mind was on what was going to happen tomorrow. I knew I'd been found out and David wasn't happy about being played.

The judge though was fine with what I'd done. "If more husbands took an active role in their sons upbringing, my job wouldn't be so damn hard."

My cell vibrated in my pocket. The caller came up unknown. I answered it but said nothing.

"I know your there," Megan said. "If you're wondering, your mom gave me your number." I said nothing. "Are you going to say anything or do you just want to hear why I called?"

"What do you want Megan?" I said in a frustrated tone of voice not wanting to get into it tonight.

"Thanks for dropping all the fake charges but you still owe me for two days storage at the impound lot. They said they need $250.00 in cash before they'll release my car. Since you are responsible, you can pay it."

Still I said nothing, not out of spite, I just didn't know what to say to her. "I'll pick you up after breakfast and drive you there."

"You can talk. Will wonders never cease."

"Enough of the sarcasm Megan. I'm tired and it's been a long day."

"Can I say goodnight to my boys?"

"They're already asleep and I'm not going to wake them because if I do, it'll take me forever to get them back to sleep."

"Well, at least you remember some of what you learned being a parent."

"It wasn't the kids that were the problem between us. It was us that was the problem. I wish to God I'd never said anything about our sex life all those years ago. If I hadn't maybe we'd still be together instead of getting ready to be divorced," I said softly, being careful not to wake the boys.

Now she was the one that was quiet.

"If it's any consolation, I'm sorry I fucked up. I guess it was just me being an uncaring ass and wanting to pay you back for what I thought was you stepping out on me," I finished with.

"Rick..."

"Megan you don't have to say it, I already know you don't love me anymore. Don't worry, I won't put you on the spot and force you to lie about it anymore. There's been too much of that these past years. Tomorrow we'll split up what's left and go our separate ways. I do have one request though; I want to be in the boy's lives. I hear you're going to Chicago so just let me know where you end up and I'll do the same."

"You leaving Minneapolis again?"

"Yup and for the last time. Too many memories here, both good and bad. I'll pick you up at your mom's after I feed the boys. See you tomorrow," I said disconnecting the call. Life sucks sometimes.

We ate breakfast at Perkins. I told the boys they could order whatever they wanted, and they did. There was enough food for two more adults. I wonder if they had doggie bags?

The boys rushed to Megan and were talking a mile a minute when I pulled up to her parents' house. I could see the evil eye her mother gave me from the street and her dad was thankfully making himself scarce.

Megan looked good. She looked much better in shorts and a tank top than the orange jumpsuit she'd wore yesterday.

"You ready to go?" I asked.

"Just a second," she said as she told bot boys to be good for their grandmother and that she'd see them later in the afternoon. Then she jumped into my truck.

"Ready?" she asked.

"Yup... just where is the impound lot anyway?"

"Over on third Ave. You got the cash?" I tapped my pocket. "Good, I'll be glad to get my car out of that hell hole."

It was a quiet fifteen-minute drive to Ace Towing's impound lot. The office was nothing more than a damn trailer and an old one at that. After paying the storage fee and an additional handling charge, a young kid took us to her car. The trunk lock was broken.

"Son of a bitch!" Megan said, lifting the lid. All the electronics were gone.

I grabbed the grease ball who'd walked us to her car.

"Okay mother fucker," I said with my hands around his throat. "You've got ten seconds to make everything reappear or your going to see what Hell looks like in fifteen." I squeezed and he started to turn blue. He motioned for me to stop."

"It wasn't me, it was Carl. He strips most of the cars we tow in."

"Show me where her stuff is and if anything is missing, it'll be your ass not his."

"Rick, maybe we should just go," Megan said.

"Get in your car and get the hell out of here. Call the police and explain to them what we've found and tell them to come a running." She nodded and got in her car and started it up.

"Just be careful!" I planned to.

The room was filled with everything you could imagine, electrons, guns, tons of clothing and even paintings.

I released the young kid and he raced out the door. Less than three minutes later Carl walked through the door.

"Looks like we've got a little problem," he said with a way too cocky smile. Then he pulled Megan into the room.

Fuck was the only word I could think of. He was holding what looked like a snub nose 38. I had to be no more than twenty-five feet in front of him. Even the worst shot in the world couldn't miss.

Megan was about five feet in front of him and I knew I had only one chance because if I failed we most likely wouldn't see tomorrow. I think Carl read my mind.

"Move away from the table friend and no one will get hurt," he said motioning with his gun.

I looked at the table next to me that was piled high with handguns, rifles and shotguns. Which one could be loaded? I only had one shot at this. That's when I laughed outloud at what I'd just said to myself. In five seconds I was either going to shoot Carl or he me; 50/50 wasn't great odds when you were gambling with your life.

The 9mm Glock looked like my best shot... enough already with the play on words, just do it... I thought as I leaped for the gun and at the same time yelling for Megan to hit the floor.

The gun was loaded. The sounds of gunfire echoed in my ears as I kept pulling the trigger until it stopped firing. Carl stood there for a brief moment and then just kind of tumbled face first onto the floor.

"Thank God," I mumbled before joining him on the floor. Son of a bitch, this just wasn't my day, I thought as I saw the two red blotches on my chest that were getting bigger by the second.

Megan knelt by my side, phone in hand. For the first time in almost two years I looked at her. Even with tears streaming down her cheeks she looked beautiful. You are one stupid bastard, I thought just before I died.

Dead people aren't supposed to feel this much pain. Hell, dead people aren't supposed to feel any pain. I opened one eye then the other and saw my mother staring back at me.

"Why is it that you can't go anywhere without getting yourself in trouble?" she sounded angry but was smiling. "Welcome back to the living."

My mouth felt like it was filled with cotton. "How long?" I finally got out.

"Three days. You lost a lot of blood and it took the paramedics a while to get to you because of all the junk cars around the building. You should be out of here by tomorrow afternoon."

"Megan?" I choked out.

"She wasn't shot and saved your sorry ass. You owe her big time even though she's pissed at you. Grabbing for a gun you had no idea was even loaded doesn't sound too smart. Oh well, your safe, she's safe and that bastard Carl is dead. Looks like a win win all around." I rolled my eyes.

"If you're wondering, Megan was here most of today but went home to check on the boys. They took it the worst, especially when they thought you were going to die. Why don't you go back to sleep, you're going to need your all strength this afternoon when your boys get here." I took her suggestion.

They were wild and wanted to hear from me what happened and, "was I scared?" When they jumped on the bed I thought I was going to come unglued... it was nice to hold them but the pain made my eyes water.

"Boys, let's let your dad rest a minute." I mouthed the words thank you!

Her mom walked in ten minutes later and said something about ice cream and they followed her out without another word.

"I guess thanks are in order," I said trying to sit up a little straighter. "What happened? Last I saw you were in your car going for help."

"Carl shut the front gate and when I stopped, he dragged me out of my car. Next thing I knew, I was in that room with you. What were you thinking?"

Slirpuff
Slirpuff
4,277 Followers
12