Melting the Ice Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
MugsyB
MugsyB
2,730 Followers

They fell into relaxed conversation during the cab ride and Natalie felt a little thrill chase up her spine as Hayden took her hand when they walked across to the bar. There wasn't a huge crowd inside, since it was a week day and already fairly late. There was a cute woman behind the bar who waved with a smile as Hayden walked in.

"Hey, Lindy. What can I get for you?"

Hayden glanced down at Natalie. Natalie ordered a beer and Hayden said he'd have the same.

The bartender gave Natalie a scrutinizing look and smiled. "I'm afraid I'm going to have to see your ID."

Hayden laughed as Natalie pulled her purse off her shoulder to dig out her wallet. "Come on, Tabby. You think I'd bring someone in here whose underage?"

Tabby shrugged and grinned at Hayden. "You've got a point, Lindy, but I'm just doing my job."

"It's no problem," Natalie assured her, more than used to showing her ID. She'd been legal for less than a year, after all.

Tabby checked her age and nodded. She grabbed their beers from the cooler and passed them across the bar. "I'm Tabitha. If you need anything, just give me a wave." She moved away.

Natalie slid onto a stool and lifted her eyebrows at Hayden. "You must come here a lot if the staff know you by name."

Hayden grinned as he pulled his coat off and sat beside her. "Tabby owns the place. She's great."

Natalie nodded as she sipped her beer. She should have known that beautiful women all over the place would know Hayden. Although she wasn't bothered by being carded, Natalie was a little curious over the exchange between Tabitha and Hayden.

Why would Tabby say that about Hayden bringing in someone underage? Was it because he's always dated women his own age?

"So you had a good time at the game?" Hayden broke into her thoughts.

"Of course! You were great." Natalie narrowed her eyes playfully at him. "You're not just fishing for compliments, are you?"

Hayden laughed and shook his head. "No, but I still think you were good luck for me tonight."

Natalie opened her mouth to reply but they were interrupted. A couple of young men stopped on Hayden's other side, asking for an autograph.

"Sure." Hayden took the felt pen from the first guy. They were both wearing Rangers jerseys and Natalie smiled at the look of amazement on their faces as Hayden signed each of them.

"Thanks, man."

"No problem."

The two men moved away and Hayden turned back to Natalie.

"That was very nice," Natalie commented.

Hayden shrugged nonchalantly but Natalie saw some color rise in his cheeks. "It only takes a minute to sign an autograph."

"Still, I think you made those guys' weeks."

Hayden changed the subject, clearly flustered with her praise. "Do you have plans this Friday night?"

"Friday? No, why?"

"Every year, the Rangers host this charity event. It's a casino night."

"That sounds like fun."

"It usually is," Hayden agreed and smiled shyly at her. "Would you go with me?"

"Me?"

"Yeah, you. Who else would I take?"

Natalie shrugged even though her mind was whirling. Hayden wanted to take her to an event where she would meet many of his teammates. They were likely to be photographed together as well, since Hayden was such a popular and recognizable member of the Rangers.

"It's a formal event," Hayden went on when Natalie didn't respond. "So I understand if you can't get something to wear, or even if you wouldn't be comfortable going."

Natalie looked up at him with a smile. He was speaking quickly, as if he was afraid she'd say 'no' outright. On the contrary, she wanted desperately to go with him. "I would love to go."

"Really?"

"Of course. Don't worry about me finding something to wear. There was a formal at school last spring and I think the dress I wore will still fit me."

"Will you be comfortable with all those people? Last year there were over seven hundred guests."

Natalie shuddered at the prospect but it didn't change her mind. "I think I'll be all right. As long as you don't leave me alone."

"I won't." His blue eyes twinkled at her and Natalie was transfixed. "I won't be able to leave your side."

Natalie laughed nervously. "I don't know about that."

"I do."

Well, Natalie had nothing to say to that. She lifted her bottle of beer to her lips and took a long pull. Hayden's mouth widened on a grin and Natalie felt a tug deep inside her belly. Oh, how she wanted him.

But you said you wanted to go slow, she reminded herself with a mental ass kicking. Don't embarrass yourself by jumping on him.

As if he sensed her inner turmoil, Hayden sat back. Natalie was disappointed all of a sudden. From what she'd seen in his eyes, she thought he'd been about to kiss her. She licked her lips and downed the rest of her beer. Hayden watched her, that crooked smile of his distracting her. Eventually she managed to speak, to ease the tension roaring through her body. They fell into easy conversation after that.

Natalie talked about her youth in Buffalo and laughed over stories Hayden told her about his childhood in Sweden. She learned that he had a sister and a twin brother. She asked him all kinds of questions about his twin. It was fascinating to her, having never met identical twins.

Before she realized it, an hour had passed.

"I should get you home," Hayden commented.

"You're probably right." She covered her mouth as a yawn surprised her.

Hayden chuckled and helped her with her jacket before pulling his own on. He said good night to Tabitha and the bartender waved in response. They walked back out to the cool night and Natalie stood awkwardly beside Hayden as he hailed a cab for her.

"I had a great time, Natalie," he said as the cab slowed at the curb.

Natalie turned her face up to smile at him. He moved closer and she tipped her head back further. He was so tall and Natalie loved how delicate he made her feel. He lifted his arms and put them around her waist, pulling her closer.

"Can I kiss you good night?"

She nodded wordlessly. Even if she'd had enough brain strength to speak, her mouth was suddenly dry. All she could do was stare into Hayden's sky blue eyes as his face came closer. Then he was kissing her and she sighed, putting her hands on his arms to hold on.

At first his kiss was soft, he didn't do anything more than brush his lips back and forth across hers. He drew back and they blinked dazedly into each other's eyes. Then his arms tightened and she squeaked in surprise as his mouth came down hard on hers. She parted her lips and his tongue slid inside. What remained of her mind dissolved at the first stroke of his tongue on hers.

Her arms slid up to his neck and she pressed her body into his. He felt so hard against her chest and stomach and she strained on her toes to lift up towards him. He squeezed his arms and lifted her right off her feet. Still, Natalie clung to him, sliding her fingers through his hair as he ruthlessly claimed her over and over with his kiss.

The driver of the cab honked his horn and Hayden released Natalie abruptly. She stumbled back to her feet and Hayden caught her, an apologetic look on his face. Flushed from his kiss, Natalie brushed the hair off her face.

"Uh, so..." she tried to speak only to find her voice too hoarse. She cleared her throat and smiled weakly up at Hayden. "I'll talk to you tomorrow?"

Hayden chuckled and because they were still pressed together, Natalie felt it all through her body. He bent his head and kissed her once more, softly, and then stepped away. He opened the door of the cab for her and held her hand as she climbed in. "Why don't you call me when your classes are done tomorrow."

She agreed and waved as the cab pulled away. With a sigh, Natalie rested her head on the seat and directed the driver towards NYU.

What was I thinking? No way am I going to be able to resist him this weekend. A silly smile spread across her face at the thought.

***

Friday rolled around before she knew it and Natalie was scrambling after her last class that afternoon to get ready. Madison tried to help but flipped her friend off when Natalie snapped at her. Natalie paused when she saw Madison's hurt expression and apologized.

"I'm so sorry, Madison." Natalie walked over to her bed and sat beside her. "I didn't mean to snap."

Madison rolled her eyes and smirked. "I was just trying to help."

"I know." Natalie glanced at her side of the room. She'd been in a panic looking for the accessories she knew would go with her formal dress.

The dress was a rich sapphire color with some gold detailing around the bodice area and along the bottom. The bodice fit snugly over her torso and flared gracefully just below her waist. It was floor length and had a wide neckline, with straps that just sat on the outside curves of her shoulders. It had been an incredibly extravagant purchase the year before but she figured it was elegant and simple enough that she could get more than one use out of it. The accessories she had matched perfectly and when she hadn't been able to locate the clutch purse and shoes in her closet, she'd started freaking out.

"Maybe you put the stuff into your bed drawer," Madison suggested.

Natalie looked at the three drawers built into the bed frame. "Maybe." She knelt down and pulled the drawers out, rifling through the interior before stifling a frustrated shriek.

"Is it such a big deal to have those shoes and that purse?"

Natalie looked over her shoulder at Madison. "No. I guess not. I just know those shoes give me the right height so I'm not stepping all over the dress."

"You have other shoes." Madison moved to Natalie's closet and started pulling out her black pumps. "Here, wear these ones. As for a purse, are you going to need one?"

Natalie considered that and realized Madison had a point. Hayden had said he'd arranged for a limo to pick her up and take her home and since she was merely going to the event as his guest, she didn't think she'd need to take wads of cash.

"All right. I don't need the purse. Now I just need to find a wrap or something."

Madison rolled her eyes and wandered over to her own closet. "Here. My grandmother sent this for my birthday but I've got nothing to wear it with." She pulled out a lovely black coat and tossed it at Natalie.

"Madison! This is gorgeous! Why haven't you worn it before?"

Madison shrugged as she moved back to her bed. "It's too fancy for every day use and I don't have hot hockey players lining up to take me to black-tie events."

Natalie laughed to cover up her embarrassment. She felt light-years better than she had when she'd left her last class. As usual, Madison had come through for her. "You're the best friend ever."

Madison ignored her, picking up her magazine.

"I'm going to go shave my legs," Natalie said as she gathered up her toiletries. "If Hayden calls, tell him I'm almost ready."

"Whoa! Shave your legs? What happened to taking things slow?"

Natalie blushed and hurried to the door before Madison could see it. "Come on, who wears a fancy dress without shaving her legs?"

"Hmm..." Madison didn't sound convinced so Natalie ducked out of the room before her friend could quiz her.

Natalie hadn't told Madison about her urges that week. She'd explained about taking things slow with Hayden, dating first before taking that next step again. Madison had been supportive, even as she assured Natalie that Hayden didn't seem like the kind of guy to take advantage of Louisa's gossip.

Since going out with Hayden on Tuesday, Natalie had been unable to shake her desire. Every time she heard his voice over the phone or watched him play, she felt the tug deep in her gut. All of that, she'd kept from Madison, knowing her friend wouldn't approve.

With a sigh, she hurried to the showers and tried to push it out of her mind. An hour later, she was sitting at her desk as Madison shoved a few more pins into her upswept hair. Leaning forward, Natalie smacked her lips together and made sure her lipstick was even. Then she sat back and waited until Madison announced she was done.

"There." Madison stepped back a minute later and scrutinized her work. "Not bad. I hate working with your hair, Nat, but I think I did all right."

Natalie grinned at her friend's words. Madison had indeed mentioned on several occasions that Natalie's thick hair was hell to work with. Somehow, she managed to wow Natalie every time. Natalie got up and went to the full length mirror on the back of their door to check her final appearance. Madison had pulled her hair up into an elegant twist, leaving a few tendrils hanging at her neck and just over her ears.

Natalie turned her head one way and the other. "Oh wow, thanks so much, Madison."

"No problem. When I manage to snag a hockey player of my own, you can return the favor."

Natalie spun around to grin at her friend. "I thought hockey wasn't your thing? You freaked out anytime something happened at the game."

Madison shrugged, looking nonchalant. "That doesn't make the players we saw any less cute."

With a laugh, Natalie walked back across the room to pull her shoes on. The phone rang just as she was doing the coat up. "Hello?"

"Hi, Natalie. I'm outside." It was Hayden and as always, his accented voice sent a zing right through her body.

"All right. I'll be right down." She hung up the phone and sucked in a deep breath before turning to go.

"Have fun, Nat," Madison called after her. "Remember, call me if you need anything."

"Yeah." Natalie looked back as she put her hand on the doorknob. "Don't stay in all night, Madison."

Madison snorted and waved her off.

Several people stared as Natalie made her way through the building. Some of her friends and classmates tried to stop her and ask what she was doing all dressed up. Natalie was tempted to tell them to check the paper in the morning but she wasn't quite ready to announce to the world.

I guess, in a way, going to this thing tonight might be doing just that, she thought as she waved in passing at someone else.

Outside, standing beside a glossy black limousine, Hayden was facing the other way when Natalie approached. She bit her lip, taking in the broad shoulders filling out the dark jacket to perfection. Her shoes clicked on the sidewalk and Hayden turned. For a moment, Natalie's steps faltered.

He looked amazing in a black tuxedo with glossy lapels. He had a crisp white shirt on underneath and an expertly knotted bow tie. Natalie approached at a slower pace, drinking in the sight of him so perfectly epitomizing tall, dark and handsome. Her heart pattered and her stomach flipped.

This is going to be a long night.

He held a hand out towards her when she got close enough and she laid her fingers in his. He pulled her close and reached for the buttons of her borrowed coat.

"What are you doing?" She laughed and tried to bat his fingers away.

Hayden grinned at her and continued to undo her coat until it hung open. Then he dropped her hand to pull either side of the jacket apart. His eyes dropped from her face to take in her entire appearance. His expression was so intent that Natalie felt heat creep up her neck in seconds.

At last, he brought his gaze back to her face. His smile was still there, lopsided with sexy dimples, but the look in his eyes was different, darker, almost... predatory. Natalie shivered.

"You look beautiful," he whispered.

He pulled on her coat until she took another step towards him. Bending low, he kissed her. It was just a brief touch of lips but it stole Natalie's breath. She was seconds away from suggesting they skip this event and go back to his place.

"You look pretty good yourself," she replied, her voice husky.

She froze as Hayden's hands moved and started to button her coat up. He paused several times, he gaze dropping over her body again, and it took all of Natalie's concentration to remain upright.

When she was all covered again, Hayden held the limo door open for her. She climbed in as gracefully as she could and smiled nervously when he got in beside her.

"Where is this event taking place?" Natalie was desperate to make conversation.

Hayden hadn't taken his eyes off of her since the limo started moving. His scrutiny was making her incredibly nervous. She wanted to believe that he was entranced by her but was almost afraid that he was disappointed, which she tried to tell herself was just ridiculous.

"Gotham Hall." He didn't elaborate and Natalie didn't know what else to say.

Reaching out, Hayden took hold of her hand and starting rubbing circles on her wrist with his thumb. Suppressing her shiver, Natalie looked out the window. The ride seemed to take forever and she hardly noticed the scenery passing by outside.

"Here we are," Hayden said and Natalie swung her head around to his side. He offered her a smile that Natalie thought looked strained.

Swallowing, Natalie nodded and climbed out after him. There were massive crowds in front of the building and photographers lining the stairs leading inside. Natalie was blinded by one flash and gasped in surprise. A moment later, she felt Hayden's strong arm circle her waist and he guided her towards the entrance. She let him lead her and was grateful when they escaped to the interior.

"I'm sorry about that," Hayden murmured as they joined the people milling around in front of the coat check area. "I should have warned you about the press."

Natalie laughed and shrugged, hiding her nervousness. "It's all right. I could have guessed on my own what it would be like. All you Rangers coming together, and the other movers and shakers who must be here tonight."

Hayden's eyebrows went up and he grinned. "Movers and shakers?"

Natalie nodded, caught in his blue gaze. Hayden chuckled as he reached for her coat, slowly unbuttoning her again. Natalie froze, unsure of what to do, which she knew was stupid. She could take her own coat off but found that she liked Hayden doing it for her, even though it felt terribly close to him undressing her in a room full of strangers.

He worked the buttons free and lifted his hands to her shoulders to pull the coat off. He stepped close as he removed it and Natalie caught a whiff of his sexy cologne. Underneath the manufactured scent was his own distinctive, masculine musk. She wanted nothing more than to bury her nose in his shirtfront and swallow him up.

She stiffened as the primal urge swept over her. Good lord. We're in a public place.

"Don't go anywhere," Hayden whispered, his mouth very close to her ear. He moved away with her coat before she could say anything.

She looked around, feeling self-conscious. She almost wished she'd brought a purse of some kind so she could at least make herself look busy. She was about to walk a few steps in one direction - just enough so that she didn't feel like such a bump on a log - when someone spoke from her left side.

"I didn't know they invited angels to these events."

Natalie turned and looked up into a vaguely familiar face. He was good-looking and from the half-grin, half-smirk on his face, he knew it too. He was wearing a black tuxedo with a skinny black tie and had one hand lifted towards her.

"I'm Sidney Abbott," he introduced himself.

Natalie could have burst out laughing. Here was the man who'd picked up Louisa at the bar a week ago and apparently passed on gossip about Natalie to Hayden. Obviously he didn't recognize her and Natalie didn't know whether to be insulted or pleased.

"Natalie Johnson," she replied, shaking his hand. Hey, I can be polite.

"I don't think I've ever seen you at one of these events before," he said, holding onto her hand just a little too long.

She extracted her fingers as well as she could without yanking her hand away. "That's because I've never been to one."

MugsyB
MugsyB
2,730 Followers