Mercy Date

Story Info
Mom decides Kylie's prom date.
8.1k words
4.59
95.7k
179
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
fgmntfmgnshn
fgmntfmgnshn
2,050 Followers

As always, thanks to MaryGirard and Boheminxen for the editing work. Without their efforts in correcting my awful grammar, this would be mindless drivel.

*

"What the fuck, Mom?" I yelled with an iniquitous look strewn across my face.

Mom shot me a disgruntled glare, "What did you just say to me?"

I cringed at my slip of the tongue -- not that I don't curse, I just don't usually go around doing it in front of her. "Sorry Mom, but geez, it's my senior prom, and you're telling me who to go with."

"You just broke up with your latest boyfriend, Roger something or other, who was the most recent failure in a long line of horrible decisions. I'm just happy I put you on the pill when I did; I don't think I would be able to handle one of those idiots being a father." Mom paused to shiver at the thought. "Since prom is only in a couple days and neither of you had a date, I figured it was time for you to go out with a good kid for once."

"But it's Barrett Stevens," I stated firmly, because in my eyes, that is all I needed to say to make my point.

"And what's wrong with the Stevens boy?" Mom put her hands on her hips. "He helps with our garbage, shovels our sidewalk in the winter, and mows our lawn in the summer. He's mature for eighteen with a bright future ahead of him."

"Hey, I'm eighteen too. Are you saying I'm not mature?"

Mom's eyebrows lifted as if to say 'Do you really want me to answer that'. "What I'm saying is that you could use someone stable in your life."

"Mom," I shook my head, "look at me." I swung my arms to bring attention to myself and paused so she could take in my curvaceous body, toned from years of soccer, my natural auburn curls, my beautiful brown eyes piercing right into hers to make my point. "And now think of Barrett," I trembled at just the thought of walking arm in arm into my prom with the wiry dork next door neighbor with the unkempt black hair who only tends to dress in dirty t-shirts and ripped jeans. "Now tell me -- why would I go with him?"

"Because if you don't, you can forget about me paying for that trip to Cancun you desperately want to go on for spring break."

"That's so unfair!" I shouted, but my voice betrayed me, breaking as it reached two octaves higher. "You can't do this to me!" I stormed off to my bedroom and slammed the door when I got there. I dove head first onto the bed and pressed my face into my pillow as it soaked up my tears while my fist pumped repeatedly into the mattress, absorbing my anger.

After some time, I calmed down. Sort of. I had to call my best friend and deliver my unfortunate news. Maybe Denise could help me figure a way out.

"Your Mom said what?" Denise gasped into the receiver.

"I know, right? I can't believe she's making me go to prom with that loser."

"Do you think she was serious about not letting you go to spring break?" Denise yawned since it was getting late. "I mean, you can't miss Cancun; it's going to be a week long party!"

"I don't think she was joking, and I don't want to tempt her by calling her bluff. Remember the ski trip I wasn't allowed to go on?" I sighed. "I can't believe she's fucking with my life like this."

"Well, what if you take him and leave him when you get there? Kind of get lost in the crowd type of thing?"

"Yeah, I thought of that, but she'll just end up asking him the next time he takes out our garbage about how things went, and then I'll be in deep shit."

"He still does that?" Denise said with a chuckle.

"I know, ain't that creepy?" I laughed as well. "He's probably in love with me or something. Bribed my mom to make me go to prom with him."

"What if we tried to spin it?" Denise got all serious. "You can say you're going with him as a mercy date, and maybe people will vote for you to be prom queen?"

"You think that would work?" I asked, my tone full of hope.

"It's worth a shot -- who knows? Listen, I'm getting tired, but if you need anything, just ask. I'm sure it will work out. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Of course you can say that, you're not the one being forced to go out with Barrett Stevens," I snickered. "Later, Dee."

I thought all night about what Denise said. 'I have three days to turn this into me winning prom queen. Winnie Hearst is the main competition, but she's a stuck up bitch. I can do this. I have to do this or I'll end up being the laughing stock of the entire school.'

At first, Denise and I started to let a few key people know that I was going to prom with Barrett Stevens, and that I was doing it as charity. It was slow going at first until Lucy Wells, our student council president and Matt Harding, captain of the debate team, overheard me telling someone my plan. They loved the idea of the popular girl looking past social status. Those two spread the word like wild fire. Soon, all of Hilldale High knew what I was doing and thought of me as the "girl with the heart of gold". I almost didn't mind the inconvenience of going with Barrett. Almost.

The day of prom, I did everything a girl could do. I got my hair styled, my nails manicured, and my makeup professionally done. When I put on my aquamarine sequined strapless gown, I was the picture of perfection. Damn, I wish I wasn't going with the dork next door, prom queen or not.

Barrett arrived ten minutes early, which was a first in my dating life. I thought I had a half hour or more to get ready. I saw him for the first time since the arrangement as I glided down the steps. He actually cleaned up nicely. He wore a black tuxedo with an aquamarine cummerbund (Mom must have told him), and his hair was actually combed. He held a corsage in his hand, and he gave me a small, friendly smile when he saw me.

"You look enchanting, Kylie."

He gave me a look I'm not used to seeing. Most of the guys look at me as if I'm a piece of meat, not that I mind, but he seemed to gaze at me with reverence. I didn't acknowledge him.

"Don't go yet. I want pictures!" Mom shouted from down the hall before appearing. "I had to get my camera."

I rolled my eyes as Barrett stepped in close, his hands at his side.

"Come on Barrett, put your arm around her," Mom instructed.

Barrett turned his head to look at me and then tentatively put his arm on my shoulder. "C'mon Mom, hurry up," I commanded. I did not want a keepsake of my failed ability to get a proper date to prom. It was bad enough this would be etched into my very soul for eternity. After a couple of clicks and flashes, I was done whether Mom wanted us to be or not. "Let's go Barrett; we don't want to be late." I pulled him out the door, and he started walking to his driveway. "Where are you going?"

Barrett pointed to his dirty F-150 pickup. "I thought I was taking you to prom."

I shook my head. "Uh - uh. I am not showing up to my prom in that shitty excuse for a rust bucket you call a truck. Get in, I'll drive." Barrett then did something unexpected; he opened the door for me.

I started driving along toward Regency Gardens, the banquet hall where prom was being held. Barrett's head lay against the window as he stared out into the darkness. "Let's lay down some ground rules for tonight, shall we?" His eyes shifted toward me without his head moving. "First, you are lucky to be going with me, so you need to do as I say. We dance when I say we dance. You eat when I say you eat. If I ask you to leave, you leave. And lastly, don't speak, ever. I'll handle everything. All we have to do is get..."

Barrett interrupted me by mumbling something about a gnat.

Was he comparing me to an insect? "What did I say about speaking?" I tilted my head defiantly to reiterate my point. "But since we aren't there yet, I'll let this slide. So what did you say?"

"It was nothing." Barrett audibly exhaled as he rolled his eyes. "It's obvious you don't want to go with me so why don't you pull over and let me out here."

"What, and listen to my Mom bitch and moan about how I left you for dead and then have her take away my trip to Cancun?" I stared him down. "Fuck that. Besides, you should be grateful you get to walk into prom on my arm."

Barrett shook his head, "Make a right onto Washington Boulevard, the next light."

"Why? Prom is straight ahead." I glanced at him curiously. He just looked at me. "Oh, fine." I threw my blinker on and made the right. We stayed on Washington for twelve miles before he spoke again. We were really going out of our way as we headed downtown.

"Make a left onto Springwell Avenue, the second light up ahead and then turn into the first drive on the right."

"This had better be good." I was getting irritated at his instructions but followed them. I made the left, and then I saw the sign to where we were going. "Moreau's? You're taking me to Moreau's?" I tried to hide the excitement in my voice as I put my turn signal on for the five-star French restaurant.

When I pulled in, a man was waving us over. "What is this guy's problem?" I thought about slamming on the accelerator and running his ass over, but I refrained, thinking I didn't want a police investigation on my prom night. Instead, I eased on the gas pedal to try to get him to move out of the way. The man began slapping his hand on the hood of my car.

"What are you doing?" Barrett screamed, "That's the valet, stop the car." I did, and Barrett jumped out and rushed to the guy. I felt immediately stupid. It's not my fault I've never had valet service before. All my dates have only taken me to fast food and the local diner. How was I supposed to know the man wasn't trying to steal my car? "Sorry Thomas. It's her first time here; she didn't know." Barrett then shook the man's hand, and I could see he gave the valet some money. Thomas made a step toward the car but Barrett stopped him. "I got it." He opened my door and extended his hand. "Mademoiselle?" I was lost in the moment. That is the excuse I'll give to anyone who may have seen me not only accept his hand, but hold onto it as we walked up the stone walkway to the entrance. Lost in the moment.

Barrett held open the door once again, and we were greeted by the most energetic hostess. "Welcome to Moreau's... Oh Barrett, haven't seen you here in a while. How have you been?"

"Great Sally -- how are you and the twins doing?"

"We're all doing really good, thanks again for..." Sally glanced at me, "everything."

"Well, that was more my uncle than anyone. I just helped, but I'll let him know."

"So, a table for two?"

"Yeah, I have a reservation, but we're about ten minutes early."

"That's okay. The last table finished early, so I can seat you now."

After we sat, our server, Liz, came by, and it was more of the same conversation. Except with Liz, Barrett inquired about her husband. She then took our drink order and left us alone.

"Okay, what's the deal?" I folded my hands together and stared at him intently. "You barely talk to anyone at school but you know everyone and their families at a five-star French restaurant that has a six month waiting list just to get a table." Then it hit me. "Wait, how did you get a table when we weren't even going out together until three days ago?"

"Yeah," Barrett drew out the word. "Don't tell anyone, all right?"

"Don't tell anyone?" I was flabbergasted. "You haven't even told me." I felt my voice rise an octave.

"Calm down, Kylie." Barrett put his hand over mine. "You don't want to start shouting in a five- star restaurant. They tend to frown on that," he said with a chuckle. "Just sit back and enjoy the food."

At that moment, our drinks and food arrived. "What's this? I don't remember ordering anything. Hell, I don't remember seeing a menu."

"Oh, I apologize. I didn't think you could read French?"

I looked at him sheepishly, "Um, I can't." I quickly found my voice, however. "But I would still like to know what I'm about ready to eat."

"It's a French delicacy. And it's the best. A food critic from Bon Appetit called it 'a top five dish from any French restaurant in the country.' You'll like it."

I picked at the food and gave a cautionary glance at Barrett, who just sat there smiling at me. Waiting. I had to admit, I actually started feeling guilty at nervously running my fork over my food. It was a work of art on a plate. I took a bite. It was delicious; it was euphoria on my taste buds. I took a bite of the side item. "Holy shit, this is fantastic!" Barrett laughed at my exclamation and began eating his dinner as well. The incredible food must have dulled my senses as I started to have a conversation with the man before me. He was so different from anyone else I've dated. Not one fart joke uttered. He was cultured. He was a gentleman. I loved it.

After dessert, we were making our way to prom. "So, are you going to tell me what I inhaled in there or will I have to tell your Mom what a shitty date you were?"

"Are you sure you want to know? Wouldn't you prefer the mystery of it?" Barrett smirked.

I lightly slapped him on the arm, "Of course I want to know Barrett -- how else will I order it again? Fuck, that was good."

Barrett playfully threw up his hands, "All right, all right. Well, the main course was escargot and Le Foie Gras, and dessert was a truffle."

"In English, tell me what was so good that I looked like a pig at a trough?"

"You liked it, right."

"Best. Meal. Ever. Now tell me."

"You ate snails, duck liver, and an underground fungus."

"You're joking, right?"

Barrett had an ear-to-ear grin, "Best meal ever."

"Eww, gross!" I shivered. "How could you let me eat that?"

"If I told you beforehand, you never would have eaten it. You just admitted it was great," Barrett laughed. "And you're about to miss our turn."

I don't remember actually making the turn I almost missed, but I must've. My mouth was still agape as Barrett opened my door and held out his hand. I snapped back to reality and got out on my own accord, brushing his hand to the side. I had a good time at the restaurant, but no way was I touching him in front of my friends. As we walked, I kept a three foot distance from him. As he held open the entrance door for me, I stared him down and pointed for emphasis. "Remember the rules." Barrett appeared shocked, but I didn't care.

We danced a song and then sat for three. And no slow songs. That was my personal rule to get through this evening. Denise and I handled all the talking. Everybody told me I was a saint. Barrett was the silent gentleman. He pulled out my chair whenever we sat, got me punch without me asking, and when we were alone, he would give his opinion to what I said in prior conversations. He actually listened to me. And was I ever impressed that he could dance. He was nimble and light on his feet as he spun, dipped, and twirled me. Compared to him, I probably looked as if I had a spastic colon.

When we were alone, sitting at a table once again, the DJ started to play an older song that I didn't know. But Barrett did. He leaned in and started singing in my ear. His voice was captivating. "And I said yes, you look wonderful tonight. We go to a party, and everyone turns to see, this beautiful lady, that's walking around with me."

I started to tear up, and I pulled him to the dance floor. What could it hurt to dance half of one slow song with him? He continued singing in my ear as I laid my head on his shoulder. His arms wrapped tightly around me, and I swear I never felt safer than at that moment.

When the song ended, I didn't even need to look around; I could feel everyone staring at us. I pulled away and headed to an empty table. That was so stupid of me. How could I slow dance with Barrett? He beat me to my destination and pulled out a chair for me. God, if he wasn't such a...such a... I don't even know what to call him now, but I would seriously consider him boyfriend material, and he would definitely be getting fucked senseless tonight. Looks like I'll be settling for my fingers.

"Ladies and gentleman," Lucy Wells announced as she came onto the small stage, "It's time to crown our new king and queen."

This is what I've been waiting for. Being forced to prom with Barrett Stevens is going to pay off, now.

"The prom king is," Lucy opened the envelope, "Andy Sullivan."

A round of applause erupted as Andy walked up to the stage.

"And the queen of this year's prom is..." I held my breath. "Winnie Hearst."

I was pissed. "It's all your fault. You just had to make my Mom force me to go with you to prom. I know you're in love with me, but do you have to ruin my life, too?" I tried to keep my voice down as I berated Barrett. As I stood in a huff, I slapped him, hard. He sat there stunned for a moment and then ran a hand through his hair as he mumbled something about Natalie. Maybe that's what he said in the car when I thought he called me an insect. I didn't know a Natalie, but I didn't care either as I stormed to the woman's bathroom.

After calming down, I realized I might have been a little hard on Barrett. I made sure my hair and makeup were flawless before I made my grand reentrance. Barrett wasn't at the table where I left him. I scanned the room and couldn't find him through the sea of people. Damn it.

"Hey Kylie," a voice to the right of me called. I turned and saw my ex, Roger Mitchell waving me over to his table and his circle of jocks.

Barrett wouldn't just wave me over. He'd be a gentleman and escort me there. "Hey, guys."

"So what was that about with that loser? You do something nice, and he took advantage of you or something?" Roger's hand was already on my ass. "I could teach him a lesson for you."

I removed his hand from my backside. Barrett wouldn't grope me like that. "No thanks. Where's that slut you dumped me for? I'm sure she wouldn't like to see you grabbing me."

"Oh, I told her to go get me some punch; she'll be back." Roger put his arm around my waist and pulled me onto his lap. "Why don't you come with us back to my hotel room? The three of us could have a great night together." His hand cupped my breast.

"Fuck you, Roger," I hissed, as I had to really pry myself away from his vice-like grip.

"If not him, how about me and you get it on, Kylie?" Stu Jones, a muscle bound idiot exclaimed as he now reached for my ass.

"Can you assholes be any more immature?" I spat as I walked away.

Through that entire encounter, I just ended up comparing all those guys to Barrett. And I'm on a date with him right now. I could be with him and be treated with class. I found myself now wanting Barrett's company. Where was he? I looked all over, but he was nowhere to be seen. People began filtering out and still no Barrett. I slumped in my chair as Denise walked up.

"John and I are heading out. We'll see you at Carrie's after prom bash."

"Have you seen Barrett?" I barely looked up at my friend.

"Not since you slapped him," Denise laughed. "That was a great way to get rid of him. If your Mom says anything, you can say he did something, and you had to slap him. So grab a guy and come to the party."

"I don't want some guy."

Denise looked around. "I see your point. Come to the party and pick one up later." She leaned in and hugged me. "I'll see you there."

I didn't know how to tell Denise I wasn't going to the party. Why would I? The guy I want wouldn't be there. The banquet hall was nearly empty, and Barrett obviously wasn't here anymore. I got in my car and drove off, unsure of where he might be. I drove by all the nearby local hang outs, but there was no sign of him. Dejected, I headed home. When I pulled onto my street, I saw a car that didn't belong in the neighbor's driveway. Barrett's driveway. I hurriedly pulled in and when I got out of my car, I saw Barrett and another girl sitting on his porch swing. I didn't know what to do. Should I go over there? Should I just go inside? Fuck these decisions.

fgmntfmgnshn
fgmntfmgnshn
2,050 Followers