Midnight Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I don't remember feeling my legs move, nor do I recall seeing him walk towards me, but somehow we were face to face only inches apart. Hesitantly I reached up and placed my hand on his chest. I felt his hand cover mine and hold it in place. The heat from his fingers almost burned me. My breathing became ragged and I closed my eyes briefly as sensations of pleasure radiated from my hand and up my arm. I almost moaned with the sheer joy of tenderly touching him.

I licked my lips to try and moisten them, I was suddenly dry throated and thought my voice would crack as I tried to speak.

"Really?" I asked.

"Really," he murmured softly in response.

Our faces drew even closer until our lips were inches apart. I was stuck between laughter and tears, both because of my discovery but also because I knew this was it. This was where I found out if Nathan had the same feelings for me that I had for him.

It was painful. The love I had for this wonderful man was like nothing I had ever felt before and I was so scared that it wasn't returned. But if I kissed him... Then I would know.

My lips parted slightly and then I felt a hand clap me on the back and I staggered slightly in surprise. Nathan moved as well and the face of one of Diana's students was thrust close to ours.

He shouted, "We gotta have a party tonight!"

Both of us snapped our heads round to face the interloper who was beaming broadly and the spell was broken. Nathan pulled away from me, I could see he was slightly flushed and he too flickered into a smile, aimed at everyone... Except me.

"Yes," he called out, "The first beers are on me tonight!"

Once again, the small crowd cheered.

Both disappointed and relieved, I looked around at all the smiling, happy faces. But my attention was drawn to Diana who was stood slightly off to one side. I could see that she was scowling at the student who had interrupted us. I saw her take a nip from her hipflask she kept in her coat pocket and then mutter, "Fuck sake!"

She saw me looking at her and then a smile gradually replaced the scowl, but I got the impression that it wasn't altogether genuine, at least to begin with. She walked towards me and gave me a big hug. When she released me, the smile she wore was both beaming and real.

Gradually the noise died down and Diana said, "We'll get Alice dug out and sent to the lab­"

"In Hull!" interjected Nathan amidst laughter.

Diana joined in the laughter and then continued, "And if it turns out Alice is the first of a new species, then you'll get the honour of naming her."

Puzzled I replied, "She's got a name. Alice. Duh!"

"No. I mean a name for the subspecies. It won't just be Hylaeosaurus. You'll need to add to it for taxonomic purposes... Duh!"

"What?"

"She'll need a Latin name."

"Oh. No problem, I'll just pull an English­Latin dictionary out of my magic arsehole, shall I?"

More laughter ensued until Nathan said, "If you don't mind, Midnight. Would you do me the honour of allowing me to give her a name?"

I smiled at him, "Of course you can. You know about this shit."

"In that case, I suggest Hylaeosaurus Mediam."

Diana rolled her eyes, "You soppy git! The committee probably won't allow that."

He bristled, "I'll bloody well make them!"

I looked from one to the other, "What does Highly Wotsit Medium, mean?"

Nathan once again fixed me in place with a look and said, "Not important. It's just a technical term to differentiate Alice from her cousins down south."

I could see his eyes were twinkling and Diana too had a cheeky glint in her eye, but for the moment I was willing to let it pass. I was simply too happy about finding Alice to worry. Although at the edge of my merriment was a tinge of regret. Our moment had been interrupted and I felt a little stab in my heart. Did Nathan feel the same way about me as I felt about him? I still didn't know, but now I was too scared to pursue it, just in case he didn't... That would kill me.

That evening found everybody back at the pub. Nathan had stopped off to talk to the Landlord about opening the function room for our impromptu party. I think he may have allowed his credit card to do the talking. After all, it wouldn't be cheap and extra bar staff would need to be drafted in. He even managed to organise some basic party food as well, so nobody bothered going down for dinner.

As I hadn't planned for a social event, my choice of outfit was limited. I eventually settled on a plain white blouse that had a rather plunging neckline and a thick, dark skirt that came to just above my knees. As it happened, I had packed a pair of black, court shoes as I didn't relish wearing boots in the evening if I could avoid it. I grabbed a quick shower, dressed and applied some makeup to beautify myself a bit. I also went to work with the straighteners and then my curling tongs to put a slight wave in my hair. I didn't want to have the usual ponytail tonight.

I made my way to the function room and found that I was the first one there. The bar was still being set up and one of the staff was fiddling around in the far corner with a basic DJ station, connecting cables, checking the disco lights and opening case after case of CDs. Two large tables were sat against the wall running under the windows and each had been covered with white sheet. Stacks of plates and a cutlery tray were already in place at the end nearest the bar, but as yet, no food had been set out. Several square tables were dotted around the room with four wooden chairs to each one on the carpeted area. And there was a polished wooden dance floor in front of the DJ booth.

I managed to sweet talk a glass of pineapple juice out of one of the barmen, even though he wasn't quite ready for service yet, and sat at one of the tables to wait for the others to get there.

After a few minutes, the sound of Come On Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners came out of the speakers that were dotted around the walls and one or two of the students drifted in.

A short while later, Nathan, Diana, Luke and Allison came in. They waved at me, grabbed drinks and joined me at my table. Luke snaffled a chair from elsewhere and shuffled it into place between Nathan and Allison.

We chatted amiably for a while, watching as the function room gradually filled, until everybody from the dig was there. By this time, Duran Duran were wailing on about Girls On Film.

"Christ!" shrieked Allison, "Does that bugger only have 80's Party Mix albums?"

Luke grinned, "Could be worse. He could be playing wartime hits from the 40's. You remember those don't you Dr Smethwick?"

Nathan was taking a pull of his beer and nearly choked. He laughed and said, "Looks like Mr Iverson doesn't want to pass this course."

Allison elbowed Luke in the ribs and snapped, "Pack it in! Get him angry and he might flunk me too!"

Then the two students shared a giggle with their heads together. We watched them indulgently for a moment and then Diana said, "We've got a Geophys team coming the day after tomorrow to scan the top field. When they're done, you want them to have a look at your area?"

My brow crinkled, "Geophys?"

Nathan said, "Geophysics. They use GPR... Ground Penetrating Radar to go over the terrain and help us identify buried structures and shapes, so we have a better idea of where to dig and what we might find."

I flicked my hair back and said airily, "Ah yes, you see. Some of us don't need such new fangled devices. We rely on our natural talents of blind luck and ignorance to find the booty."

Everyone laughed and then Nathan said, "Actually, might not be a bad idea. Saves me getting a team over from Hull. How's the settlement looking by the way?"

Diana sighed, "Not much so far. We've got a partial skeleton, some trinkets and some broken pottery. We thought we might have a stone structure, but it looks like there's only a small portion of it left. I think it must have been placed where the explosive blew rather than going north.

Hopefully the settlement, if there is one, is under the north field on top of the spur. If it went south from where we are..." she shrugged.

"What?" I asked.

Allison said, "If it went south, then it'll have been destroyed when they blew the up the site when they were digging."

"Oh." I said, "Well, here's hoping."

The conversation meandered, the wine flowed and the music played on. Eventually the DJ ran out of his goddamned eighties tunes and some better music started playing. Everything from Elvis and Bill Haley to Beyonce and Jessie J. He did attempt some Kajagoogoo later on, but he was told to fuck off and play something decent. Also the food appeared. A few hastily thrown together sandwiches and pork pies and large trays of roast chicken and chips. Basic stuff, but it was tasty, filling and it helped to soak up the alcohol.

The students were getting hammered... Of course they were, they're students. But I must admit that I stuck to pineapple juice and both Nathan and Diana were drinking in moderation. All three of us wanted to be fresh for the morning.

Or at least I think so. Once or twice I saw Diana eyeing up one of the barmen speculatively, she saw me watching her and winked.

As the evening wore on, a few people took to the dance floor. I watched as Allison dragged Luke up for a boogie and then DAve, one of Diana's students, grabbed my hand and pulled me over to the dance floor. I must admit I enjoy dancing and I'm quite good even if I say so myself. I know what you're thinking... I'm black, of course I can dance. But that's an urban myth I can assure you. I've seen several black blokes throwing shapes who looked more like they were having an Epileptic fit than dancing. Dave was white, but boy could he move!

Anyway, I was having really good time dancing with partner after partner. I don't know if I was a popular dance partner because of Alice or because my tits were bouncing about like rabid space hoppers. Either way I was enjoying myself. However, several times I got that familiar itch between my shoulder blades and I would glance across to see Nathan gazing at me. I would smile and wave him over, but he simply shook his head, give me that half smile and then return his attention to whoever was sat with him at the time.

Diana had planted herself at the bar and was deep in conversation with the handsome, young target of her affections. I also saw Allison and Luke enjoying a boogie together and taking it in turns to shout a conversation into each other's ears.

Time was marching on and it was getting quite late when the obligatory slow dances started.

Thankfully with a reduction in tempo came a reduction in volume, making conversation on the dance floor much easier. I smiled to myself when I saw Allison and Luke moulding their bodies together as they swayed slowly in time with the music. And it didn't escape my notice that Allison had her arms draped around his neck whilst he had a firm grip of her rounded buttocks.

My current partner started to pull me close when I felt the familiar itch between my shoulder blades and then a hand rested possessively on the small of my back. I tingled. Nathan smiled at the student and said, "Sorry, I've got rank and I'm pulling it," then he asked me, "Would you care to dance?"

I melted into his arms, "I thought you'd never ask."

His hands rested lightly on my hips and I placed mine on his shoulders. We moved together in slow circles and I was gratified to find him surprisingly light on his feet.

"You move well," I said, "I'm surprised you didn't join me earlier.

He grinned, "I'm not keen on the fast ones. This is more my style... As well as the waltz. I do like a good waltz."

"Maybe you can teach me, one day."

"Maybe."

We danced in silence for the next couple of tracks. I must admit it felt wonderful to be in his arms like that, simply moving slowly to the music. With our bodies pressed close together, I could feel the heat rising and my nipples became so hard, I thought they might be drilling into his chest. I felt his hands slide slowly around my body onto the small of my back and he pulled me even closer against him. I rested my head on his shoulder and closed my eyes. My panties were damp with the sheer excitement of holding this man so close and I swear, I could feel something hard pressing against my tummy.

Thoughts and images flashed through my head. I saw with my mind's eye that we weren't dancing, we were naked and entwined in the act of love. Giving, receiving and sharing pleasure. I felt my pussy begin to pulse and a heat was building in my womb.

Fuck! I wanted this man so much! Not just for sex... I loved him. I loved him like I had never loved anyone. Ever!

Soon, the DJ announced the last track and the bell rang for last orders. As the music faded, we stopped dancing, still holding each other close. We looked around at the students, knocking back the last of their drinks and filing out of the room. I noticed that Diana was heading out of the door with a half bottle of Laphroaig in one hand and her hottie barman in the other. That woman is such a fucking outlaw!

I looked back into Nathan's eyes and whispered, "Well. That's it then."

We shared another long moment before he answered, "Yes. The party's over."

Neither of us made any move to separate.

I said, "I suppose we should head up to bed."

"Indeed. Busy day tomorrow."

"Yes."

"I enjoyed the dancing, Midnight."

"Me too."

Slowly, regretfully, we disengaged and then made our way upstairs to our rooms.

I paused at my door, turned to look at Nathan with my hand on the door handle and said softly, "Well... Night then."

Nathan's eyes burned into me as though he was looking deep inside my mind and reading my innermost thoughts, his expression unreadable. He replied, "Sleep well, Midnight."

He leaned down, pecked me on the cheek, then turned and started along the corridor to his own room.

That was the first time he had ever kissed me. My skin where his lips had brushed against me tingled and I carefully held my fingertips to my cheek, his brief touch had sent shivers through my body. I had the awful feeling that I was about to make a big mistake but I just couldn't help myself. I had to tell him, regardless of the consequences, I couldn't go another day without knowing if my feelings were reciprocated.

I had to know.

"Nathan, I need to say something," I called, unable to keep a quaver out of my voice.

He turned and came back, "What is it?"

Scared, I was unable to meet his gaze. I had never been so frightened in my life, even at the worst of times. I knew this could be a terrible mistake that would cause me more pain than I could endure.

I rubbed my right fist in my left hand and stared doggedly at them. On the verge of tears I couldn't help shivering as I blurted out, "I want you."

Nathan placed his finger and thumb on my chin and very gently tilted my head up so I had to look him in the eye, "What did you say?"

I was mesmerised by those eyes. Those fucking eyes. My expression was a mask of nervous fear as I murmured, "Need you."

Christ! I was so fucking terrified, I was shaking!

His face was an enigma, I had no idea what was going on behind those icy blue eyes, until he slowly moved his face to mine and lightly brushed his lips against my own. In hushed tones, he answered, "I need you too, Midnight," and gently kissed me again.

I thought my legs might give way beneath me. It had never felt like this! I was getting more of a thrill from a simple kiss than than I had ever experienced before. Still uncertain, I moved my hands up to cup his face and held him still so that the kiss could deepen. Our mouths opened slightly and I slipped my tongue between his lips, and let the tip stroke his teeth before sliding it across his tongue.

His arms moved to enfold me in a tender embrace as my hands snaked around to hold the back of his neck.

I didn't want it to end... Ever!

The single­mindedness that Nathan applied to his studies, his professional life, his mentoring of students, was also unconsciously applied to his kisses. And I could feel it transferring to me through the contact of our lips, tongues and hands. There was no rational thought, no cares over who might see us, no worry about how our heads moved to make sure we didn't bump noses, no thoughts about what to do with our hands, and whether we should allow our fingers to start searching out more intimate contact.

There was only... The kiss.

After what felt like a thousand years, it ended and we placed our foreheads together even as our embrace tightened.

Nathan sighed deeply and murmured, "I... I love you, Midnight."

My heart lurched when I heard those words. I pulled my head back so I could once again gaze deeply into his eyes. I could feel a single tear make it's way down my cheek as I replied, "Oh God! I've dreamed of hearing you say those words to me. I love you Nathan. I need you. I need you like I need oxygen... Please... Let me show you how much I love you."

I disengaged from his arms, took his hand in my own, opened the door to my room, and gently drew him inside.

END OF CHAPTER SIX

12