Milly Houston Pt. 02a

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'll need quiet when I'm writing."

"No problem. Sleep with me in the main bedroom and we'll set the guest room up as your office."

"All right. I'll come on two conditions: One that you shower each day and two you allow me to pay $900 a month towards accommodation and running expenses."

"No you be cheery and good company and the accommodation is free."

"You heard my conditions."

"Um, don't you want to inspect the accommodation first?"

"No, I wouldn't expect you to land me in a hovel."

Carlson laughed and said it was actually very good and had been mothballed the last six months while he had been living at the ranch.

"How is everyone?"

"Fine including Gran. They are all looking forward to going to New York next month for the book launch."

Milly asked Carlson to give them her love and she thanked him for thinking of her as a roommate. He said he would give her a call when he fixed a moving date. "I have to finish some commissions here but am working long hours. I'm hoping to return next weekend."

Susan and Debrecini had been in the room and had followed the conversation.

"So you are leaving us but will be living close by?"

"Yes Susan. I had a small affair with the guy who's a recognized painter at the ranch where I wrote Gloria Isobel Cameron's biography. It seems a good set-up for me as I'll need to be left uninterrupted during writing stints."

"This disappoints me Milly," said Debrecini. "I was...um...hoping something might fired between you and Garrison."

To Milly's relief Susan jumped in. "Mom, Milly is an organized, gentle person. Garrison lives on a different planet to her."

"Oh really? I hadn't thought about that."

Milly said she hoped the disappointment wouldn't last. "Garrison will find a flamboyant woman -- just you wait. I must say Debrecini I have enjoyed every moment living here and you are such a delightful family -- all of you."

"Thank you darling. What is the name of this painter?"

"Carlson Conway-Booth."

"Ohmigod."

"What?"

"He painted my friend Claire's portrait. It cost her $20,000 and she and husband Mark are hopelessly in love with it."

"Yes, I've seen it," Susan said. "It's marvelous -- excellent likeness and it has life. Conway-Booth...of course. He painted the artwork for the cover of Miss Cameron's biography."

"Yes and I'll have to get him to paint you for the cover of your biography. In the nude."

"Of course," Susan said dryly, winking at Milly.

Debrecini snorted, "Over my dead body."

* * *

The christening and early luncheon that followed was very pleasant and the new godmother holding Lily on the short walk from the church to the nearby restaurant made sure she engaged the baby's three and four-year old siblings in conversation and when giving Lily a christening gift gave gifts to Jack and Nancy, earning a big smile from their mother Elaine.

Next morning, heads a little thick from the afternoon party that concluded with dinner, Milly began a long session interviewing Susan to establish the steps in Susan's life around which it was intended to frame chapters. Susan's mind was everywhere, a much more difficult subject to deal with than Gran who was and presumably always had been sharply focused. On the other hand it did allow Milly to glimpse that although Susan was by nature very determined, she carried a heavily romantic overlay that would give extra spice to her story. Readers tended to like spice and the unexpected, according to what lecturers had emphasized at journalism school.

Subsequently Milly had heard that same opinion delivered by all crusty chief reporters and chief sub-editors to inexperienced recruits wondering why their work was not being published. The analogy was: dog bites man is not a story unless the attack was horrific but man bites dog and is arrested IS a story.

So, why had Susan become a champion youth skier and went on to become a celebrated mountaineer? None of her immediate family appeared to be sporty types. Why had she pursued those two dangerous activities and what did she think about where she was in her life now? Would she marry before Milly finished the biography --the unexpected pregnancy had made that a possibility? Milly was satisfied there would be more questions like that to be answered.

Susan taking three phone calls interrupted this first session. Not good. Milly decided phones would have to be switched off. That last call was Susan's hairdresser saying she was late for her appointment. Susan's apology to Milly appeared genuine and delivered with concern. Milly sent her off and said she'd use the time to go in to Elaine to sign the contract that Susan had already signed.

Just before Susan dashed off she said she did have diaries.

Milly said severely, "But you told me twice when I asked and you replied there were no diaries?"

Susan hung her heard. "They are not just day to day records...they contain my innermost thoughts such as what I think about members of my family and why should I be masturbating when surrounded by male alpine porters and my uncouth guide?"

"Priceless resource for a biographer."

Susan whispered she was sorry and was told to go to get her hair done. Milly shouted angrily, "Think about handing over those diaries to me while you are having your hair mutilated."

Susan was away longer than Milly and handed across a sheath of flowers, obviously expensively unseasonable. "I'm sorry for holding out on you: I'll try to improve my relationship with you. It needs to be the very best; I know that. I'm also taking you to the visiting ballet troupe on Saturday night. No jeans and sweater as you'll need to dress up; we have premier seats.

The two women hugged and it appeared they were as one.

CHAPTER 7

Carlson Conway-Booth had called his mother Joanna to have a cleaning team prepared his apartment for re-occupation.

"Darling, you're coming home?"

"Yes, I indicated the McKenzie Foundation wants a portrait of its long-serving president, the Early Childhood Development Institute wants its deceased founder painted from photographs and I had other negotiations in the pipeline."

"Yes, but so often negotiations come to naught."

"Well it appears my reputation continues to grow, Now don't go all gooey on me over that."

"Darling, Charles and I stood by your during those difficult years when you were establishing yourself as a professional artist."

"Yes mother and I would have starved without that assistance because no way would I have taken up regular employment. You know I remain grateful and have said I would paint you providing it was a nude."

"Carlson, you know I am not humored by that idiotic suggestion."

"Well here's an update mother. I will paint you while I'm back in New York wearing whatever you desire to wear."

"You mean that?"

"Yes, I want it finished to give you for your fifty-fifth birthday. I'll reserve weekends to work on you but you can still go on a few outings because I'll need some time off. My secondary purpose in returning to New York is to pursue a certain person."

"Ohmigod, a woman."

"Mother please, don not besmirch my good reputation. Never have I had a sexual relationship with a man."

"Of course not. But why this particular woman?"

"Because I can't stop thinking of her. That's why I've sought commissions back in New York because she's in New York to write the biography of Susan Veitch who is about to announce her retirement."

"What, the mountaineer?"

"Yes.

"I know Debrecini, Susan's mother.

"That's a queer name for a first name."

"Some think Carlson is a queer name for a first name."

"Well, please don't discuss my intentions with the biographer. I really mean that mom; Milly doesn't know."

"Milly -- that's an old-fashion name?"

"Leave it mommy -- you'll meet her very soon. So is agreed to be my roommate -- she requires a quieter working environment than she has now."

"Omigod, you have her where you want her in order to pounce."

"Mother, please step back a bit. I'm unsure whether she likes me."

"She's been to bed with you hasn't she?"

"Yes, but many women have been there, done that."

"I haven't."

"Well I do draw the line mother."

Joanne laughed and called him 'a rude and filthy-minded pup.' He was placed under orders to stay with her for his first night back in New York and next day to accompany her shopping. "You'll need a complete new wardrobe and I want your hair done and to have a manicure."

"What's this thing woman have about a guy's nails?"

"Never you mind. I want those fingernails done and to be dressed like a somebody rather than like a homeless person."

"Well since you want to splash your wealth about what about doing up the guest room in my apartment as an office for her. Dump the bed and install a daybed if you wish."

"So she has agreed to sleep with you?"

"Yes but there is no agreement about sex."

"Right, I'm having that room redecorated to be more feminine. That will improve your chances."

"Mother she's moving in on Sunday. You will have no show of getting decorators to come inside six weeks. This is New York."

"The consultant will be there this afternoon young man and the decorators will be there tomorrow -- Tuesday at the latest. This is New York and money talks in New York."

Carlson snapped his phone shut and grinned. He hadn't a clue how to appeal to Milly. He had trouble relating to women because they were so scatty, so unpredictable in their thinking. He'd called his mom to drip-feed her with information knowing she'd seize the opportunity to do something far more worthy than serving on women's committees and the other stuff she did to prevent her having a crisis in boredom. She would think like a woman -- of course -- and this would increase her interest in Milly and she would introduce Milly to the daughters of her friends, providing Milly with a real social toehold in her new environment. He trusted his mom to give Milly no indication that he was keen on Milly. He would drip-feed those deeper thoughts gradually to Milly.

Carlson called a publishing house in New York and asked to speak to Elaine Edmunds. He introduced himself and Elaine giggled and said Milly had mentioned him. She agreed to courier three invitations to Carlson and his parents addressed to his mother's at East 89th Street. He then rode his ranch bike to the house to tell Jennifer and Gran he's be returning to New York in a few days to live but that he'd see them at the book launch in a fortnight. He smiled knowing how his mom would react: Elaine had said the invitations would be sent along with pre-release copies of the book. That would give his mom her first glimpse of Milly whose photo was on the inside fold of the dustcover.

Joanne called Carlson late afternoon, over the moon. "Our darling she's lovely almost a real beauty. She'll be so suited for you."

Carlson didn't even attempt to fathom how his mom could make such a far-reaching assessment from a small photo on the dustcover. He just accepted that's how women thought.

"Yeah, she's okay."

"Okay, just okay? My god you are an oaf."

That rather summed up the conversation except Joanne thanked him for securing the invitations and said something he knew was totally correct.

"You can tell a good book by its cover and this one will be a wonderful read. Love your painting darling, although I've never heard of the Gloria Cameron. She is bound to go through a revival in the media."

Joanne was correct, as she tended to be. On Saturday the book review sections of the two newspapers Carlson purchased were full of stories about Gloria Isobel Cameron and the pre-publication book reviews stopped only a little short of being rave reviews.

His mother hugged Carlson, wiping her eyes. "This is so magnificent for Miss Cameron and Milly. She arrives at your apartment tomorrow. Please darling, bring her for dinner night. I'll invite friends..."

"No mom. Let's do this in stages. I have booked a table for four in the little Italian restaurant not far from our apartment block for Sunday night. I'd like you and dad to join us. You can invite us to one of your famous dinner parties the next Saturday that will tie in nicely for you, as there will be interviews with Gran in next Saturday morning's newspaper and photos of the book launch. How does that sound? You and dad are invited to arrive at the apartment for drinks at 7:00. We are due at the restaurant at 7:45. That will give you a good introduction to Milly and allow her a sample of you and dad. Just don't blow it for me mom."

"Oh I won't. I promise to be laid-back and not to boast about you at all."

Carlson sighed, knowing that would be an untruth. But he'd been his mother's son for thirty-three years so knew what to expect.

Arriving in New York on Friday Carlson had immediately called Milly and she sounded excited he'd arrived in New York. She told him Susan the woman she was working with was providing difficult and attempting to interfere all the time. Milly hoped by not living in the same house as Susan would ease the pressure a bit.

"Sounds as if she needs a good slap."

"That's typical male thinking."

Realizing he'd goofed, Carlson attempted to apologize but that was dismissed when Milly said quite unexpectedly, "Perhaps that's not such a bad idea. Will you do it for me? If I do that it could blow our relationship that needs to remain intimate and friendly."

"Sure, I'll think..."

"I was joking Carlson," Milly said coldly. "I'll effectively slap her by setting her up to feel despondent when we get the first five chapters back from the publisher. That should occur at the end of this month."

"You feel you can manipulate her like that?"

"Yes of course. I can manipulate people. Why do you think you are back in New York?"

"I...I...er work I guess."

"Oh yeah? Did you not have work in New York when you left for Colorado?"

Carlson hesitated. Why the fuck had he left New York?

"Er, I was jaded and nothing much was happening. Everyone seemed to want things from me whereas at the ranch...er...even you. You had me but you gave me Katherine without knowing I'd dart between her and you."

"What, you expect me not to know how the minds of men work? Any way, Katherine was in greater need of someone like you than me."

"But you never went looking for another guy?"

"Yes and I wonder why? I went back to you occasionally before my need became too rampant."

"Okay but how did this thing about you encouraging me to return to New York occur?"

"Oh I attempted to sow seeds. In my family email to Gran, Jennifer and Katherine I talked about my loneliness in New York for male company, that my only contact was a male oaf. I knew you'd be given the printouts to read."

"You don't say. There's a hell of a lot other very attractive women in New York Milly and I know some of them."

Milly had cut the call after saying, "Then go and find them. I'm not even sure I like you."

Not sure she liked him? Carlson though who the fuck did she think she was? He was bending over backwards to accommodate her and offer her a helping hand without expecting anything in return. He nodded in agreement but turned scarlet knowing he'd just thought a huge porky He wanted her beside him to fuck at the drop of a hat, to talk to him, to be challenged by her to share in here triumphs, to be in despair when she wasn't around him.

Jesus.

Carlson, shaking slightly, eyeing the blank wall in his old bedroom containing the hanging of his most primitive piece of art he'd painted and only kept it because his mom hated it: it was just of a female's groin, with her fingers spreading the entrance to her vagina. "I'm in love with you Milly." He looked around embarrassed despite knowing no one else was home in his parent's apartment.

Milly arrived at 8:15 just after Carlson had arrived from the 24/7 store with a somewhat pathetic bunch of flowers. She rang the bell; he grabbed the flowers and opened the door, kissed her and thrust the flowers at her.

"Oh me, these are for me?" she said sounding in awe.

"I rushed out to the convenience store. Knowing they were for you I should have gone to the Sunday markets."

"But then you might not have been here when I arrived."

"Exactly."

She giggled and said she was hungry. Carlson carried two of her three bags to the main bedroom and showed her around.

"Sorry about the chill air but it's the paint and glue smells and the smell of new carpet so I've had the windows open for three days. Mom had the decorators in -- I foolishly told her you were coming to stay with me and she'd d remembered who you were and of course had received her invitation to the book launch. I called Elaine and ordered invitations for mom, dad and me."

"Good heavens, what an over-reaction. Exactly what did you tell her about me? Ohmigod, I forgot to order you an invitation. You clever boy. I really believe you mother deserves an invitation. This apartment has been upgraded beautifully."

"You think so? Then come through here to the old guest room that is now designated as your office."

Milly went 'Wow!" just as Carlson had done when seeing it finished and furnished.

The teak floor had been sanded and re-polished, the walls repainted lilac, the ceiling re-plastered and left white, down lighting installed and three multi-adjustable modern lamp stands added. The oak furnishings comprised an L-shaped desk with big screen to attach to a laptop and a scanner-fax-printer, a separate oak worktable with three chairs and the office chair and day bed were matching oak-framed and finished in black stitched padded leather.

"It's beautiful and must have cost a fortune."

"The furniture is rented because mom was unsure how long you'd stay. She's picking up the bill for that."

"You mother...what does she work at?"

"She's never worked but completed a fine arts degree, then an English lit degree and then a masters in history. When her parents died mom whose name is Joanne was left very, very wealthy. Her husband and my father Charles is a professor of journalism and heads a department here on Manhattan and is recognized as a national authority on media law and libel."

"You are a very talented family."

"Yes. My sister Marion is married and lives in LA is making a name for herself as a neonatal surgeon although she is only thirty-five and she and Tim have two youngsters. Come, let's get some food into you."

"I'd like sex first."

Carlson swallowed, a little confused. Since when did a conventional woman like Milly call the play?

She caught his uncertainty and said well some other time.

"No here, on the couch."

"Oooh. Is that what that's for?"

Carlson caught her and swung her into him and pulled her hand down. "Milly, feel this boner. I've had it ever since I opened the door and saw you."

"So I noticed."

He colored and kissed her and she kissed him back passionately. That got his motor running. She broke away, pulled down her panties, stepped out of them and went back against him, taking his hand and leading it under her skirt. She then uncoupled her hand as if confident his hand would find its way. It did.

Soon Carlson had one of her legs over his shoulder, one of his knees on the sofa on the other side of her and was plowing her."

"God, I've been thinking of this since you called me that day to say you were coming to New York."

"Oh really?" Carlson said, aware that revelation was making him thicken inside her.

"Oh yes, "I've so much wanted you inside me, pumping and making me..."

"Fuck...coming already." Carlson panted.

"Wait, wait," she cried, pushing him away and pulling off her top and tossing it away. She just had time to pull her bra below her tits when he began coating her neck and upper chest.

"I love you Milly," he panted foolishly and was astonished when she murmured, "If you keep on being this attentive and so demonstratively potent then I'm sure to love you. Come on, get it back in and off we go again."