Mirror Bound Pt. 02

Story Info
Randy satyr discovers Victorian culture.
103.8k words
4.86
11.6k
7

Part 2 of the 2 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 04/04/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter 35

After an hour, Lukas indeed returned, and he brought George along with him. George looked very intently at Paul and kneeled beside the bed, I could see he was incredibly relieved to see him awake and alert, but dared not hug him for fear of hurting his dear friend.

Paul stiffly held out his hands and excused himself: 'I cannot do better than this, dear George, I hurt a lot.' George took the hands carefully and kissed them and said: 'I'm just very happy to see you awake, I've been worrying, though I've been busy too.'

This hit a nerve with Paul, who anxiously asked: 'Are we in big trouble, is Lukas in trouble?' George laughed and said: 'Actually, you're heroes, but your little raid is keeping me busy. I'll tell you all in the right order, as soon as Lukas has checked your wound.'

Now Paul mockingly complained: 'You're all so bossy.' Lukas grinned from ear to ear and kissed Paul intimately, saying: 'We are indeed. Will you show me your back?' 'If you'll help me, oh master,' Paul replied, and with Lukas' assistance he was soon turned over again.

Lukas asked me: 'Will you guide me again, Melissa?' I nodded, and laid my hands on the skin beside the wound, feeling my way inside. Lukas touched my mind and soon we were connected as intimately as yesterday, a rather profound experience after our resulting love-making. I decided to give in to the feeling a little, or we'd only build it up, so I embraced Lukas and kissed him with heat, which he returned, also eager to lose some of the tension between us.

After that kiss we tried again, I touched Paul's skin and let my feeling enter the tissue below. The healing had been successful, the squares Lukas had used to repair the damaged tissue had held, and it only needed to grow together again. But there were some alarming signs, some places were swollen, with a different kind of shapes cluttering the moving fluid, and an unhealthy colour. Lukas touched Paul himself, but nothing happened, his talent didn't step in. Paul would have to fight this infection himself, with rest and good care.

When we came back to the now, Lukas said: 'There is some infection, but I cannot heal it, you'll need to keep quiet and let your body do the work by itself.' George handed him a bag: 'I forgot to mention it, but Frances sent me this, antiseptic herbs, just steep in boiled water and apply with a clean cloth.' I said: 'I'll get boiling water straight away, and tea for us all. I won't offer you coffee George, it cannot compare to your own.'

And when Paul's shot wound had been cleaned with antiseptic fluid, not a pleasant task with him biting on the duvet to keep from crying out in pain, and bandaged with more of the stuff against his skin, we made him comfortable against a few pillows and all enjoyed tea with some chocolate.

Then George started his tale: 'After you had left, Frances took care of the ten children. They had come from all over the island, promised an education in the magical arts. Instead of to a boarding school, they came to a cell, where they were fed reasonably well, but ritually robbed of their energy, which that black mage stored into a perversion of a node.

He used the power of the faerie-souls for no other goal than hide the power stolen from the children and the magic he used to steal it. The children didn't know what he wanted the store of power for. They were all from middle or lower classes, and this so-called school was their only chance of education in magic.

Some of them want to return home, some still want an education, some didn't have a family, and some disappeared, having deteriorated through the abuse, until they seemed to have no will or power left.

One day they would just disappear.' Here, Paul interjected: 'The children on the dump: parent-less, mindless. Living of refuse. Will you two test them, Lukas and Melissa? Together you may find if they can remember their parents and their homes, so they can at least go home and lead a bearable life?'

He was right of course, those poor children, burned out and destitute, they were the rejects. Of course we would do what we could for them. 'Of course we will, Paul, we'll go together,' Lukas said, 'we may have to ask Frances too, somehow small creatures trust her, maybe those kids will too.' George nodded and continued:

'When Frances and the factory guard were talking to the children, the watch arrived, which was interesting, for no-one in the factory had warned them, and people in that neighbourhood don't like the watch. We soon found out why they were there, remember I told you about a mage on the council?

He had his suspicions about the deaths along the river too, and was keeping an eye on the factory, so when he felt the ley-lines being used, and saw the fireworks going on inside, he fetched the watch for an inspection.

With the faerie soul that powered the shield that hid the magic from sight released, the concealing magic had dissipated, and he could see the mockery of a node leaching into the river with his own sight, and he certainly could see those poor children, and hear their stories.

The watch found the mage, the cells and the altar by which time he knew enough to proclaim the three of you heroes of the city. He wants to meet you, especially you, Paul, he knew about guardians but had never thought of combining forces.'

I could see the relief on Paul's face, he didn't quite trust the voice of right against the voice of money, I guessed, and he feared especially for Lukas who couldn't spend a night in jail without being found out.

'Frances arranged for the children to be allowed to stay with us until their parents had been contacted. And we discussed a boarding school to be founded for these children, somewhere in the city, a combined effort of mages of all schools. Not all talented children can be taught by their parents, just look at Melissa here: had her talent awakened earlier, she'd have been in danger of falling in the hands of this black mage too.

Anyway, we have arranged a meeting today, to discuss this. You can be included too if you want to, we can come to you if you're not fit to travel, or you can latch on in a later stage if you're not well enough. I'll discuss those rejects living in the wasteland with him too, the city may pay for them to be helped.'

'The council member had the factory sealed, and the children escorted to our manor, where Ilsa and the staff fed them and prepared baths and beds for them. My steward and Frances will be writing a lot of letters today.

The council member, whose name is Tristan Telling, Frances and I remained at the site, and performed the rite to free the faerie-souls. One was already free after you destroyed the photograph containing its soul, and it was very upset not knowing what had happened and all the magic-use around it.

Fortunately it was one of ours, and it recognized Frances and came to her when she called it. We freed the rest, convinced them to come back to their trees, though one wasn't ours. It seemed to remember where its tree was, so Marcus carried it there. Frances will check on all of ours and if you want to, on the others as well, to help the trees to recover.

That was about it. The black mage is dead and he had no family, so the council will probably sell the factory. I've shown interest in it, it would be a good investment even if I paid the workers a decent wage and attached a school to it. We've lived quite a secluded life so far, maybe it is time we went into the world once in a while.

Oh and by the way, we found these two statues in the bags with the photographs.' And with that he got the two statues we had taken from the office out of a satchel, and put them on the night stand

But by now Paul was so weary that the statues were forgotten, his eyes were glazed with pain again, and George left quickly to allow him to rest. Lukas ran to the kitchen for more painkillers, and I tried to make him comfortable by helping him to lie down again, which was pretty difficult since he could hardly lie on his back, and all his muscles were still stiff as well.

When Lukas came back I could kick myself, for now he had to be propped up again to take them, causing extra pain. Still, that was also managed and soon my love was asleep and without pain for a few hours, hopefully.

I was worried, very much so. I had no experience at all with wounds, and Paul seemed in a very bad state to me. Lukas sat on the other end of the bed and held his arms open to me, and I sat quietly in his embrace, hoping to find some relief from my anxiety. He just held me and caressed my hair and my face in silence.

Then he touched my mind tentatively, until I welcomed him and connected to him. I could feel his solid trust in Paul's ability to get over this, relaxing me bit. He spoke: 'Bullet wounds hurt like hell Melissa, that does not mean he's in any direct danger. He'll just suffer a lot, and learn to never turn his back on an enemy ever again. That was foolish and arrogant, and he is paying the price. Fortunately it wasn't higher than this.'

That sounded harsh, but his feelings were so loving and tender, I knew he felt for Paul as much as I did, he just knew more about wounds and healing and worried less. Our intimacy did not result in making love this time, just being together and watching our dearest friend and lover sleep was enough. But of course Lukas got restless after some time, and he picked up the statues and studied them.

Both were silver, and in the same style, very simple and still very realistic. It was easy to see what they represented: elves. At least as I imagined them, tall, very slim, pointed ears, beautiful faces. Lukas handed me one, and I looked at it with sight. It really looked the same as the plates with the photographs, there really was a soul in these statues. But would there still be a body somewhere for these souls to go to?

'There is a soul in this one, but is there a body somewhere?' I asked. 'Would you double-check this one for me, I think there's something in it?' Lukas asked, and I did.

He was right, but that still didn't tell us whether these souls would still have a body to go to: 'I think there is a soul in this one too, don't you?' He nodded, and said: 'I have no idea if they still have a body, I guess not, unless they are a primitive kind of faerie that can live for some time without soul.' We put the statues back on the night stand, and Lukas said: 'Shall we take turns keeping an eye on Paul?

I have some reading to do, but there is also work that needs to be done in the workshop, some of which I can do unsupervised. He won't be up to working tomorrow, but he may be well enough to help me do the other jobs.' I found it difficult to even consider leaving Paul, but I did have a job I had to go to, and I wanted to see my boss today at the council building, to tell him this job was finished and to give him my resignation.

So I said to Lukas: 'Can you do the reading first? I'll cycle to work and to the council building, then return with groceries. I'm certain Paul will not mind my taking the bicycle, and it will be much faster.'

Within ten minutes I was dressed in a suit and on a bicycle towards my work. I still didn't see any lewd or scandalised looks, but I think I would have used it anyway, it was so much faster. In a wink I was at the site, and I saw the architect and told him I'd sign off on the building today, there would only be one final inspection at its completion, but for now I had nothing more to inspect, there were no structural changes anymore.

We shook hands, and he said: 'I hope we'll meet again on another site, working with you has been a pleasure.' I was pleased to hear that and told him: 'I have enjoyed seeing your building come to life from the drawings and ideas, it was a great inspiration to me. But I am thinking of quitting this job, I've had an offer for something else.'

He almost cried out: 'You're not going to get married to that crafts master and quit your job, are you? I saw him propose to you yesterday, and he's a good-looking fellow, and very well-spoken and talented obviously, but you have too much talent yourself to give up your career.'

Laughing, I explained: 'He didn't offer me his hand, he offered me a job, or rather a partnership in a firm of our own, designing structures and building them, solving engineering problems with his inventions. I think I'll accept.'

The architect now showed some embarrassment at his outburst, and said: 'Oh, I'm sorry Miss Thorn, that was very forward of me, but he seemed to be...well... really fond of you. But your own firm, that is really good, I'm sure you'll do very well together. If I can ever help you with advice please don't hesitate to contact me. And would you still be available to do some structural checks on contract basis?

Starting a business can be uncertain financially, and I would be much mistaken if your extraordinary talent with material would not bring you a nice extra income.' That was a good idea if I ever heard one, and I thanked him for the offer, he certainly might hire me for structural checks.

We parted cordially and I went on to the building, to have a last look at it before I signed off on it.

After checking the outside, still in scaffolding but not for long now, I went inside and strolled along the paths through the increasing foliage. This was taking shape quite nicely, and by the time temperatures would start to drop the heating would be ready for its task.

Absorbed in the grotto that was nearly finished by now, I didn't see anyone until I was pushed to the sandstone wall by a large, strong body. A similarly large hand clutched over my mouth prevented me from crying for help, and I felt a short twang of fear because I really could not move a muscle, this guy was very strong.

Then I remembered I had raided the hideout of an evil mage yesterday, and that this was a busy building site. My fear was instantly gone, and looking at my attacker I recognized the guy who had been leering at me all the time I had worked here.

He grinned: 'Saw you arrive on your sexy cycle today, I suppose you don't have a real man to give you some of that. You'll love this.'

Detached now, I saw he was quite a handsome man, why would he stoop to forcing himself on anyone? His other hand now loosening his belt, I decided not to waste any more time on trying to deduce his motives, but put an end to this before anyone saw this and thought I was the kind of girl who screwed men on the work place.

I'd worked hard to create credibility as working partner among men, one horny fellow was not going to mess that up. I shaped a tiny bit of magical power to a ball, prayed it would only stun.

He had loosened his belt and that hand was now moving towards my hair, him crooning: 'Such pretty copper locks, couldn't have anyone else touch those.'

One of my hands was stuck between his strong body and his arm still holding his hand over my mouth, but my other hand wriggled loose and struck him on the back of the head. As the power hit him, his strong body dropped like a felled ox.

Stepping over his stunned body, I felt some fear I had killed him, but just at that moment, my favourite contractor came running up, calling out with real concern: 'Miss Thorn, thank God you're safe!'

Quite upset now by the whole situation, I asked him: 'Is he still all right?' Looking at me in stunned amazement he said: 'You worry for him after he assaulted you? At your work place? It'd serve him right if he was not. How did you floor him anyway, such a big brute?'

Saying this, he did kneel down and check the guy's vital signs: 'He's fine, just out. How did you do that?' I tried to evade a clear answer by mumbling: 'A trick I learned, but it can be deadly.'

He looked at me with his head tilted slightly, I could see he didn't buy that at all, but he let it go and asked: 'Are you all right?

I heard from Fritz that you were on your last inspection and were contemplating quitting with the council, and I wanted to say goodbye and thank you and make a proposal of my own, when I heard this lump speak to you in a respectless way.

What a dork, you know I hired him? Won't make that mistake again, he's out on his ear. Assaulting a building inspector on site. Anyway, what I wanted to ask you, if you do go into business with the crafts master, will we be able to hire you to check out materials for flaws? It'll cost you a few hours a week and we can offer a steady income, you've saved my firm from a big disaster and I'm sure you will again. Just come in, check the stuff, mark anything that's not safe, and out. Please think about it.

I wish he had proposed to you, that crafts master, you looked fine together, and both gifted.

Oh, and did you hear the news about those deaths your Mr Kenwick was so interested in? Apparently it was poisonous waste from the wool factory that caused it.

The council has promised to check the factories more closely for dumping waste, I know river water is unhealthy, but some have naught else to drink, so it should at least not be poisoned. That would be a good cause for your friend's family, Rupert told me they're loaded gentry, having the drinking water improved.

But I suppose he's from the poor branch, every family has a poor branch, and if he were rich he'd not be talking to us craftspeople like we're his friends, he'd be way too important to do anything of the kind. Oh Miss, I'm sorry to talk so much, I was just so upset to find that large brute, he's coming round, leave him to me. Do you want to report him to the watch?'

I replied: 'Better not, my friend is at home sick and I want to be with him, besides, they'd ask me what I'd done and it would be difficult to explain.'

'I understand. Well, thank you again for saving my reputation, and think about my proposal. I'll be at your friend's workshop in a few days. He's not really bad I hope?'

He was such a nice man, but I couldn't tell him what happened, so I just said truthfully: 'It could have been much worse.' Then we shook hands cordially and I left, leaving the signing off to the next day, for after what had happened I wanted to be home.

Pedalling back took just ten minutes, and I put away the bicycle in the shed, then locked the doors behind me. The workshop was empty, the furnace cold.

I ran upstairs and found Lukas reading on the bed and Paul still sleeping. I sat next to Lukas, who immediately noticed I was upset, put an arm around me and asked: 'What happened?' I told him about the assault and he got rather angry, saying: 'In my country, that would cost him his horns.' That seemed a really severe punishment for something that happened daily in our reality, and I said so, but that upset him even more, so I asked him: 'How are things here?'

He replied: 'Much the same, he's even a bit feverish now, and in a lot of pain. We need to take really good care of the wound and of him, and if he keeps getting worse I'll try healing again tonight.'

As if Paul had heard that he got really restless, making distressed sounds in his sleep, face drawn in pain, hands clutching at nothing.

I very slowly moved towards him, and stroked his hair and his face very softly. His restlessness settled a little and he slept again, but Lukas said: 'I gave him another painkiller just after you left, if he wakes he can have another one.

But they're really not strong enough for a man in his condition, maybe Frances has something stronger, I think I'll run over to ask her, it's twenty minutes around.'

With Lukas away I got a pot of tea and some food, and a novel from the rows and rows of books and went back upstairs. Time passed quickly reading, and by the time Lukas returned with a stronger painkiller I was totally immersed in the story.