Mistress Agnes Ch. 13

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

At that very moment, Agnes came into the room from behind a curtain, pale, drawn, and fell into Dennis' arms.

'I heard the two of you, and I was planning to stay hidden, but I couldn't keep standing anymore. You are both right, boys, I'm not doing well. I feel weaker every day, I hate to spoil Dick's wedding, but I need a doctor. Please send the express, Guy, but keep it a secret from Dick and the rest. I want him to enjoy his day with Maria, I want him safely settled.

And Dennis, please listen to Guy. Marry me, Dennis, please, let me secure your future and that of everyone else I love.'

Dennis had sat down on a padded chair, Agnes in his arms, and he seemed broken.

'I can't Agnes, I can't run an estate. I'm a thief and a private, not a land-holder. It would be a betrayal to your people, they would hate me and your memory.

Just don't leave me, Agnes, I can't live without you!'

That was a very bad moment, and the three of them sought solace with each other, afraid Agnes would prove to be deadly ill, leaving the rest of them in dire straits as well as sick with grief.

Then Dick burst into the room.

'Mrs Woods is here, mistress, and she asked to see you...'

He saw the three of them together and cried out, 'What is wrong, something's up, I can see it!'

The poor man just froze on the spot, he had been so excited about his wedding, and now the people he relied on were a total mess, all three of them!

As Guy regained his self-control and got up to tell Dick something, anything, a stout woman of middle age entered the room briskly, took a good look around, and spoke politely, 'Excuse me, I was waiting for Dick but I could hear something upset him badly, I had to come in.'

Guy didn't shake her hand, but merely explained, 'Mrs Beauchamp hasn't been eating well the last week or so, and we suddenly got scared something was terribly wrong. I'm going to send an express to the doctor straight away, it'll take him a day to get our message and at least a day to get here, there is no time to lose.'

'Dear sir,' the lady started, unsure who or what this beautiful and elegant man was in the household, 'I've raised four children and I have several grandchildren, will you do me the honour of letting me have a look at your mistress first? I believe you have no women in your household, and while I have great faith in men cooking and cleaning, I am convinced a woman knows best how to care for others.'

Under normal circumstances, Guy might have protested that he was very good at caring for others, and Patrick even better, but shock and fear had taken his assertiveness altogether. He merely nodded, and tried to keep from crying anymore to not upset Dick on the day before his wedding.

Mrs Woods approached the grieving couple and took a chair opposite Agnes, checking her skin, her hair, her breath, her eyes, feeling her temperature with her hand, then asked questions.

'Mrs Beauchamp, what exactly is your problem?'

Agnes clearly felt better having someone in charge, and she answered faithfully.

'I cannot seem to keep any food down. Cook has been preparing the finest delicacies but the very smell of them disgusts me so I prefer not to eat. Most of what I eat despite feeling nauseous, comes right back up. I'm starting to get weak, and I'm afraid I'm very sick and dying. Then my fiancée and staff will become destitute.'

Guy saw Dick blanch at this, and was ready to take him away before he got truly upset, but Mrs Woods gestured them to stay put.

'You can stay, Dick, no-one is going to die or become destitute. You're going to get married, and I guess Mrs Beauchamp is going to follow soon after.'

Of course no-one understood anymore, except, apparently, Mrs Woods.

'Now tell me, Mrs Beauchamp, you're not married but I suppose as a widow you're seeing to certain needs, you know, those of the bedroom?'

Meekly, Agnes replied, 'Yes, Mrs Woods, I have those needs satisfied whenever they rise up.'

'And have you had your monthly bleed lately?'

Guessing where this was going, Agnes still answered the question.

'I have not for almost eight weeks. But I am often irregular and I have had three very busy and shocking weeks, we were almost robbed and Mr Parker here was seriously injured defending all of us.'

Mrs Woods nodded, and asked, 'And has your cook, who according to Maria is the best she has ever had the pleasure to taste the work of, offered you anything as humble and bland as porridge or a clear broth?'

Thinking for a moment, Agnes shook her head.

'I suppose he never did. When I didn't feel like eating, he spoiled me with his special dishes.'

'Which were rich in cream and butter?'

'Yes, we all seem to be skinny here, so Cook is usually free with rich ingredients.'

Mrs Woods nodded, and said soothingly, 'In that case, Mrs Beauchamp, I think your life is not in danger, but you do look very emaciated and a bit grey. You need to eat something you can keep down, right now.

Do I have your permission to instruct your cook?'

'Yes, Mrs Woods, I'd rather not die if I can help it, but will you tell me what you think is wrong with me? I have never felt so sick and so miserable in my life, I'm getting weaker by the day.'

'Mrs Beauchamp, you have not been eating, you have been throwing up food but also fluids, you are weak with lack of nutrition but also with dehydration.

And the reason is probably, that you are with child. I know you have no children from your marriage, and you live in a household with just men, so you don't know how miserable the first months of carrying a child can be, no-one ever complained to you. These men obviously have never been in company with a pregnant woman before, or they might have known.

But to me it is very clear, and even Maria would have known had she seen you this week. Her sisters all had morning-sickness as bad as you have it.

Now try to calm down and find a comfortable seat outside in the sun with Mr Parker, and I'll bring you something to eat and drink that you will probably be able to keep down straight away.

And if not, Mrs Eldridge in the village makes a tea that will certainly help, she's the local midwife, and I'd advise you to have her over as soon as possible to check your baby.'

Agnes and Dennis just couldn't believe their ears, but Guy was smiling again already, and Mrs Woods had a soothing hand on Dick's shoulder.

'Your mistress is not in danger, Dick, you can calm down and help Maria with the decorations. Tell her I will be a bit longer, this is important for the mistress must eat. She's going to have a baby.'

Dick looked his puzzlement, and Agnes decided to ask his question for him.

'I told Dick I couldn't have any children, Mrs Woods, for I was married seven years and never conceived. Then the last three years I have not abstained despite being unmarried, but no child ever resulted. Though I want to believe you, Mrs Woods, how can I be with child?'

Looking at Dick, and at Agnes after that, Mrs Woods nodded, and said, 'Still it happens, Mrs Beauchamp, in our very village a woman conceived after ten years of barrenness, and though one can never be certain I'd swear she was only with her husband all this time. Sometimes the body just takes a very long time to make it happen.

I suppose you won't have to worry for yourselves, Dick, Maria's family is very rich in children, and my other daughters were with child within months of their wedding.

Though I suppose they did frequent the outcrop during their engagements.'

Dennis was still stunned, and Agnes worried for him, he looked unwell, and the doctor had warned against physical exertions, but also against emotional strain.

'Dennis, are you all right, my love? Please says something. Mrs Woods says I'm all right, love, did you hear that?

He has a severe concussion, Mrs Woods, he was hit over the head with a club so hard I was afraid he'd never wake up. The very thought of losing another loved one paralysed me, and Dennis must have felt a shock like that just now. He truly thought I was dying.'

She stroked his hair, and his face, and kissed him gently on his lips, and slowly Dennis came back to life and hid his face in his hands.

'I'll help them get outside, Mrs Woods, you go to the kitchen and tell Cook what the mistress needs.'

Guy had recovered completely, and took Dennis' arm on his shoulder, Agnes taking his other arm to support herself, though she felt a lot better now just for knowing she wasn't desperately ill.

In the sunshine, Dennis got a little life back in him, though he still seemed affected and more than a little incredulous.

But when Mrs Woods came towards them with a teapot spreading the heartening scent of fresh mint, a few cups, and a steaming bowl, all on a tray, he showed a kind of desperate hope. He didn't believe it, Agnes realized, he still feared losing her, though Agnes herself had recognized the truth of Mrs Woods' words immediately. It was the greasiness and the texture of Cook's creations that revolted her, the stickiness, the heavy seasoning, she had always loved his cooking but suddenly it turned her off food instantly.

Holding the bowl of porridge she actually felt hungry, it looked awful, but it smelled delicious, light, and wholesome, and her stomach rumbled.

'Take it easy now, mistress, or you'll be sick after all. I can see you want to devour that, but take your time, please. Give your stomach time to adjust or it will reject this as well, and then it'll be gruel for you for another six months, or dry white bread.

That seemed to wake Dennis up completely, so far he had been sitting as close to Agnes as he could, clinging to her as if afraid to lose her. He was still suffering from trauma and Agnes hadn't even noticed. This needed attention, for bearing children wasn't without risk, and riding a horse could always end in a deadly crash, and one of them would die first anyway, and she was a good bit older than him.

'Remember telling me that exact same thing when you had just rescued me?' he said, almost dreamily. He seemed as lost in the past as he had been just after the knock on his head, better nudge him before he betrayed his desertion to Mrs Woods.

'I do, love, and I will keep my own counsel, and Mrs Woods', for I want my stomach to get over this, not make it worse.

I'm hungry now, Dennis, can you believe I will be fine, now? Can we look forward to the wedding? Though I suppose I won't be having any cake.'

'Maybe on our own wedding, Agnes. If you are carrying my child I will have to marry you, it's the right thing to do, and you'll have an heir, I won't have to own anything.'

That made Agnes incredibly happy to hear, even before the porridge had cooled enough to relieve her now raging hunger.

'Congratulations, ma'am,' Mrs Woods said, it was not the most romantic proposal ever but the penetrating lady had probably deduced already that the matter had been talked over repeatedly before this, 'you'll be a lovely bride. My husband has always admired your beautiful dresses, professionally you see, he's a tailor.'

Agnes must have thanked her for her kind wishes and compliments, for Maria's mother beamed at her, but Agnes was more and more distracted by the smell wafting up from the bowl in her lap. She decided to risk burning her mouth and take her first bite, such a difference with the last week when the very thought of food revolted her.

And it was as good as she imagined, frankly it tasted very bland, but somehow her body approved of that and made its opinion very clear.

'Does it need some salt or sugar?' Mrs Woods asked, 'your cook wanted to add both, but I told him it needed to be as inoffensive as possible, and he said he supposed I knew best, with three daughters married and eight grandchildren.'

'It's fine just as it is, Mrs Woods, thank you so much. I think I'm not exaggerating if I say you've saved my life.'

'Dr Gilbert would have found out, wouldn't he, Agnes?'

Good, Dennis was back in this world, he had given her as bad a scare as she him, going totally unresponsive from fear of losing her.

'He probably would have, but somehow I prefer to have a midwife over, he was not particularly sympathetic and I don't feel as controlled as I usually do. If he said something blunt, I might cry.'

'That is also quite common, ma'am,' Mrs Woods said, 'it may go away once your body recovers from its emaciated state, but it may also stay. I've had both happen to me, of course I never had much staff, so I guess you may suffer less fatigue. If you allow yourself to rest a lot.

I suppose you need to eat as much as you can the coming days, I've asked your cook to prepare a clear broth with plenty of vegetables and at the most a tiny bit of very lean beef or chicken, he is probably busy making it right now.

Well, I'm back to work, do you want me to send Mrs Eldridge over when I get back to the village?'

'Please, Mrs Woods, that would be very kind of you. I'd feel better knowing how far along I am, and what to expect.'

'I do warn you, the whole neighbourhood will know about your condition once Mrs Eldridge has been here, but I suppose that cannot be helped.

Maria has seen all three of her sisters with child, and most of her friends have children, please don't hesitate to ask her if you feel something that frightens or upsets you. It will be such a comfort for you to have a woman in your household. And since she will be working with her father, she can relay messages no problem, if she doesn't know the answer or a solution.'

'Thank you so much, Mrs Woods,' Agnes replied between bites. 'I think I'm going to take a long nap to make the most of this excellent porridge, then I may recover quite a bit of strength for tomorrow. Are you coming, Dennis? I'd like to be together for a while.'

'Of course, my love, do you want me to carry you up the stairs?'

'You shouldn't, love, it's been just over four weeks, you're not to do any heavy lifting yet. I need you in good shape as soon as possible.'

And while they went upstairs to their bedroom, Dennis observed, 'I'm so happy for Dick that he's marrying into such a nice family.

Of course I should make an observation on becoming a family ourselves, my love, but I just cannot. I'm still totally stunned by the news, and more than a little distraught at the possibility of losing you. It just never occurred to me. You're so strong, and ageless. You cannot ever grow old and feeble, let alone get sick, I need you too much.

Having a child is so dangerous, Agnes, I can live with getting a baby, I guess, but what if something happens to you?'

'Then you'll let Guy handle the business until our child is old enough to learn. And Patrick will support you until you've chosen which of the three remaining local spinsters you'll have. Or have Milly choose you a gentle lady.'

That was just too funny, Agnes felt so much better with a full stomach and knowing what was the matter with her, but Dennis looked just totally outraged.

'I can never love anyone else but you!'

'Sure you can. I thought I could never love again when I lost Frederick, but now I think I may love you even more, and I've loved Patrick and Guy in between. They were so wise to keep that tiny distance between us, or I would have clung to them as you now cling to me.

As I clung to Frederick.

There truly is life after the death of a loved one, Dennis, but I pray you don't have to find that out, I plan to just spend a lazy seven months being pregnant, then deliver a beautiful girl or boy with your eyes, and live happily ever after.'

Dennis didn't believe one word she said, but at least he agreed to get married and save all of her little group from want in case something bad did happen to her. They would address his fear of being left alone further, it was clearly much more deep-seated than Agnes had realized, but not today, nor tomorrow.

Tomorrow, they would celebrate.

12