Mistress Agnes Ch. 21

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Of course Dennis had heard all this from Agnes, but somehow John's matter-of-fact account combined with the nearness of the place made it come alive somehow. John's calm reasoning why brigands couldn't be hiding on the moors also made sense. Though Dennis had only consciously lived in the area for about half a year, being locked away in an attic didn't help getting to know the landscape after all, he probably knew the moors better than John did, even though the latter had been born and raised here. But the locals scared their children away from the dangerous moorlands, afraid to lose their children to one of the treacherous bogs.

Agnes had taught Dennis everything she knew about the moors, and he knew even digging a hut was nigh on impossible; in winter the water table rose quickly and would flood any dwelling not at least halfway up a hill. And he had seen for himself that smoke really gave away human habitation, besides, all the moors hereabouts were Agnes', and it was common knowledge that she hunted all over them, accompanied by her small pack of hounds, armed with a rifle and an expert shot with it. And now there were the two of them hunting the moors, though no-one apparently knew that Dennis was a deadly fighter if need drove him to it. No, if Dennis were a burglar, which in fact he had been, he'd do what John expected them to do: he'd hide in the forest and come out for raids.

The change in scenery was abrupt, the road climbed steeply and the barren moors changed into thick forest. But again John was right, the woods were not the rich habitat one might expect, the trees were mainly birch and pine, an indication that the soil was poor. There would be some game, but hunting rights were Agnes', hunting here without her written permission was poaching and a hanging offence.

John followed the road along the edge of the forest, then turned back onto the moors.

'It's the only way to reach the farms that were hit, at least by carriage. On horseback you could ride straight over. Are you still watching?'

Poor John, he sounded nervous, he probably felt like a sitting duck here on the box, though this time Dennis was as likely a target. But Dennis was not afraid, he saw nothing to disturb him, he had a kind of sixth sense for danger and it was not stirring in the least. They had passed no free-standing farmhouses so far, just the few villages on the moors. There was so little to steal here, people here lived on the edge of poverty, closer to the manor the houses seemed more prosperous, the farmers there even kept some cattle, in this place there was no grazing and there were no tilled fields at all, no-one seemed to live here.

He got more and more convinced that Patrick had estimated the size of the band accurately, more than three men could never live off the proceeds of their robbery, the frequency and the closeness of all raids suggested the robbers had no horses, no experience stealing, Dennis expected them to be hopeless losers.

But dangerous losers, so far they had not killed anyone but not for lack of trying. All five farmers and their sons were seriously injured, the rumours said. Dennis didn't like to think what had happened to wives and daughters, unprofessional burglars tended not to think of the consequences of their actions, they probably thought that since these were poor, unaffiliated folk they could be robbed and raped without retaliation.

'That's one of the farms there, Dennis. Let me do the introductions, I know someone who knows them, they'll talk to me. Of course they know of the mistress, they'll talk to her all right, but not like they'll open up to me. Trust me.'

Dennis nodded, he'd also suggest to Agnes she'd let John initiate contact. Dennis would look his fill and listen in, he trusted John to ask the right questions.

When the carriage halted someone walked towards them, a boy of about fifteen, who looked reasonably well. He was skinny, but as far as Dennis could see unhurt.

'Hello there!' John called out to him, 'how are you?'

The boy seemed surprised that anyone would ask such a thing, and while he thought of what to say, John jumped off the box and secured the horses to a post.

As John stood talking to the boy, Dennis opened the door of the carriage and said to Agnes, 'John asked to let him do the talking for now. They trust him, he says.'

Agnes nodded, Dick and Guy wouldn't start a conversation anyway, so they all joined John and the boy. John introduced the boy to them.

'Peter here was out with the sheep when it happened, he went for help, but the neighbours don't have much to give them either. His father and older brother are still unable to work, his mother is not well. They're desperate.'

Without being asked, Dick stayed with the horses as the rest followed the boy into the house. It was tiny, cramped, and very hot. Agnes was shocked, Dennis could see that easily. None of her tenants lived like this, this house would be as cold in winter as it was hot now. The boy was in clothes only a shade above rags. He was near despair, Dennis had fought to gain responsibility at that age, this boy couldn't handle it at all.

The mother was sitting at the kitchen table, she didn't just look afraid and hurt, she looked really physically ill. There were no sleeping chambers, two curtains had been pulled back, revealing two bedsteads with a man in each. The older man sat up and talked to John, who introduced him to Agnes. The man's demeanour changed to servility instantly, had he been physically able to he would have fallen on his knees before her. It did not strike Dennis as demeaning, he remembered being at Agnes' feet clearly, and not without a very warm, safe feeling. Agnes was worth bowing to, she lived up to her reputation, Dennis had no doubt she would help this family even though they didn't have a single claim on her.

She looked straight at Dennis now, wishing him to come closer.

'Please tell us what they looked like, how many there were. I promise you we'll do our best to get them.'

'There were just three, My Lady, and their only weapons were stout clubs such as a man can make in the forest, but they were so strong and vicious. My eldest boy was out for half a day with a knock on his head, and they broke my leg. They had their way with Marge, I can still hear her screams, she fought like a demon but they threatened to kill me. Please, master, hunt them down!'

This last plea was aimed at Dennis, who apparently looked like a landlord.

'Marge hasn't had a night's sleep since and I may never walk again. It's been a week, but the pain is not abating, I'm afraid it's set wrong. And look at Jack, he's in so much pain, they said he needs rest but Peter cannot handle everything, we have nothing left and Marge is sickening with something.'

Agnes took his hands and kneeled before him.

'I will send help this very afternoon, food and a real doctor who can set your leg and check out Marge and Jack. And I'll find some sturdy farmers' sons who know how to handle a scythe to patrol your neighbourhood until we've got the bastards. Now tell me what the other families need, I suppose you all know one another.'

It was heartrending how little these folk had. Dennis wouldn't be surprised if they decided to sell to Agnes, she'd take care their houses were watertight and pull them through the coming winter. And Dennis found his resolve to never take a life again wavering, truly, a rage was steadily building inside him as Ken, the farmer, told them how breaking limbs and dealing out blows to the head had at least ten men out of action.

The other women were in as bad a shape as Marge, the younger girls even worse, and everyone was so incredibly afraid they'd come back. There was nothing left to steal, but the brigands were so cruel they expected them to want to satisfy their need for more brutalities on their hapless victims.

'I will not visit your neighbours today, I will use my time to get you help instead. But when that is done I will visit all of you, and we'll talk about the future. First you need help for today and tomorrow. Food, a doctor and protection. And then we'll hunt men instead of game, and when we catch them I will prosecute them for you, and we will get them hanged. Then you can sleep again at night.

Peter, I must ask you to be strong for one more day, for I want you to run over to your neighbours and tell them help is on its way. And I want you to ask them to think of clues where we can find these brigands, they will not stop but rather become even more brutal since they know farmers cannot withstand them. Can you do this? I promise you will have everything you need tomorrow at the latest, even a special lady to tend to your mother and the other women.'

'Yes, My Lady,' the poor lad said, trying to sound like a man.

'Thank you so much, My Lady. Please save my mother and father and Jack.'

They did not stay any longer, Agnes had that look in her eyes that meant business, there was nothing they could do for these people themselves, but there was plenty she'd do in the next village, or if need be in the next town.

Having said their goodbyes they filed back towards the carriage, John thanking Dick for his alertness with a clap on the shoulder. Before getting in, Agnes said to all of them, 'I'll send my own doctor and our midwife, I trust them to be capable. But I want these people under guard, John, do you know any young toughs who live closeby? I'll pay them to stand guard, five men armed with either guns or scythes must be enough against these three.'

As John was thinking, Dennis felt obliged to point out a rather nasty possibility to Agnes.

'My love, have you considered these may be deserters from the same camp I escaped from? Farm boys will not stop them, not even with scythes. Possibly not even with guns. It will only serve to arm them when they take the weapons away from the boys.'

Agnes' face was deadly serious as she replied, 'I have, Dennis, which is why I will send someone to the camp to make a report on the incident. But I want you far, far away from here when they send an investigator.'

Well, that was something Dennis couldn't object to.

'Of course, how stupid of me!' John said, 'I'm sorry, mistress, I guess I was pretty upset seeing that family. The man with the hounds! It's not that far and he is a hunter, he knows guns, and he knows these woods. He has those dogs and three strapping sons. I suggest we drive ten minutes to his house, confer with him. He knows this neighbourhood, what if your own doctor won't come here? It is pretty dangerous with those brigands still out here.'

Turning back towards the main road they soon drove deeper and deeper into the forest, and now Dennis started to feel edgy. He really was like a horse, preferring open spaces where he could see the enemy approach. Then he realized he was back to his old alertness, as if he was on patrol in enemy territory. Well, if the brigands were indeed deserters, he was, and he'd better keep his rifle at the ready.

But nothing untoward happened, and they soon turned in a long lane, flanked by trees but with an open space beyond them on each side. The lane opened on a large, low wooden cabin, not a kind of house they knew, but fitting somehow in this extensive forest. As expected from a breeder of hounds, the carriage was soon surrounded by half a dozen of the creatures, barking furiously. Dennis noted they did not bother the horses, this was behaviour the hounds had been taught to impress visitors.

A tall middle-aged man in greens and browns strode towards them, and as he neared the door of the carriage the dogs fell in line with him without a spoken command. He bowed and opened the door, no need for an introduction from John, apparently.

'Mrs Beauchamp, such an honour to receive a visit from you!'

Dennis could not see how Agnes accepted his greeting, but he quickly put away the rifle and jumped from the box, walking towards the little group of people. Dick of course had already made friends with one or two of the dogs, and Guy merely stood by attentively. He was very good at just being present, as butler that was his job, but Dennis was certain Guy was also keeping an eye on their surroundings.

'We've never met, ma'am, but I recognized the arms on your carriage, and I was more or less expecting you to come by this neighbourhood one of these days, with those nasty burglaries and all.

Excuse my rudeness, my name is Mark Winfield, I lease the hunting rights of a large part of this forest from you. What can I do for you?'

'Pleased to meet you Mr Winfield, I'm sure I've read your name in some official document or other, good to add a face to a name. We've come with one particular goal in mind, to try to persuade you to part with a couple of your young hounds to replace my late husband's pack. They're getting on a bit and John here says it's time to rejuvenate if I want to keep hunting.

But of course we've heard of the burglaries hereabouts and we thought we'd investigate a little. My own tenants may be the next victims. We've just visited one family that has been hit hard, and I cannot just return with any young dog you may want to let me buy. I need to help the families, they are in a bad way.'

The man bowed again, and spoke warmly.

'I have several promising young dogs I was going to keep, but are prepared to let you have, since you have the reputation of being such an excellent huntswoman. Well, and my liege lady, of course.

You know those families have no claim on you, don't you? They're not in your service, but rather obstinately independent.'

This man was downright eloquent, what was he doing in the middle of a forest, breeding hounds?

'I know they have no claim on me but you should have seen them. Neither of them is unscathed, without help every single one of them will end up crippled or dead. I cannot let that happen. I need a good doctor, one who can set bones that have healed in the wrong position, and who can convince a young farmer's son that concussion needs rest to be cured. There will be more broken bones to set and concussions to treat, for four other families were similarly hit.

The women have all been violated and the mother we saw was ill, she needs a female doctor or at least a midwife to check her insides, treat possible private diseases she may have caught, and especially help those women cope with the shame. If you know such a doctor and a midwife, please send for them, I will pay for their services.

But most of all, Mr Winfield, those families need protection. The perpetrators are not common burglars, they operate with such violence I'd call them brigands. I guess they may return to their former victims, they do not just want food or valuables, they want power, and they will target those women again and again until they are stopped. I want a messenger sent to the army base in town, to find out whether any soldiers are missing from the ranks. And I want at least five strong men to guard those poor families, armed with rifles if at all possible. A few hounds would be very welcome, to give warning until the brigands are caught. Can you help me find any or all these essentials?'

Mr Winfield now smiled briefly, the matter was too serious for humour but he was obviously impressed with his liege lady.

'I do indeed know a doctor and a competent nurse, and since they are in town, half an hour's ride from here, I can send my youngest son on a fleet horse and have him ride by the army camp with a message for the colonel in charge as well. That will be three stones in one throw.

Now for protection I will volunteer. I can leave the missus here no problem, no man will pass my dogs, and she's right handy with a rifle herself. My eldest sons will accompany me, and believe me, the three of us are well-able to stand up to any fighters, even army deserters. There were three?'

'Eye-witnesses mentioned three, Mr Winfield, and believe me, three civilians, no matter how well-armed and how fit, will not stand up to three trained soldiers. I suggest you find at least two more volunteers, preferably armed with rifles as well.'

Their host directed a very shrewd look at Dennis as he said this, but he did not question him.

'My fiancée, Mr Parker,' was all Agnes said. She couldn't very well add, a deserter himself, he knows what he's talking about. So she didn't.

Dennis shook hands with Mr Winfield, and managed not to look away from his stare, he must not show any sign of weakness, he was a noble, not a lowly soldier.

'In that case, I will take my three best dogs, and two men I hire whenever I need a little extra manpower. They can shoot, I can lend them a rifle each. Shall we write those messages? I want my son to be back before dark, and I suppose you want to be on your way back before dark as well. Though you seem well-guarded, Mrs Beauchamp, I've never seen such a tall man in my life. My youngsters will proved a measure of safety as well, they're ten months old and almost grown. I think you'll like their accomplishments, too, they've come along quickly these last two months. Were you looking for dogs or bitches?'

'John advised one of each, I have a dog and two bitches already but the dog is getting frail. I was thinking of retiring him to the house until he dies. He was my late husband's, you see. I cannot bear the thought of putting him down.'

'Very well, we all have our favourites, Mrs Beauchamp. Shall I introduce your men to the available hounds to get acquainted while we write notes to doctors, nurses and officers?'

That was a magnificent idea, and proof this man stood behind his hounds one hundred percent.

Dick and John were delighted to be let into a large pen with at least ten young hounds, Mr Winfield pointing out five dogs that answered to their wishes. Then he led the rest to a neat study with a large table and plenty of chairs. They all sat down, and Agnes and their host dictated notes with Guy writing. Then Mr Winfield left the room for a moment, apparently ringing a large bell outside. A large boy and three young men filed in, curious why they were summoned outside dinner hours.

'Greg, please saddle the red and ride to town with all speed. I have three notes that need to be delivered, all three are very important. Wait for a reply, send them to this address, your mother will give them further directions. Do not let the guard dismiss you at the camp, you need to see the colonel himself, use Mrs Beauchamp's name if needed. Take care, there are brigands on the loose and a horse is valuable. Come get a handgun from me before you leave.'

The boy turned on his heels and ran off to saddle the horse, while his father took a handgun from a cupboard, loaded it carefully and put it in a belt pouch together with the letters.

'George, Stuart, Josh, you're coming with me to guard the farms that were attacked, and I want Victor as well. Bring your dogs and Blackear for me, and a rifle and a handgun each. I'll take the buggy for the dogs, you saddle a horse each. And have your mother load the buggy with some supplies, we'll order new foodstuffs.'

These three flew off as well. Mr Winfield had his sons well-trained, if the dogs were as obedient they'd have a good buy. But why would such an independent man go through such lengths for his liege lady? He owed her no obedience, he just leased hunting rights from Agnes.

'Mrs Beauchamp, Mr Parker, before we go pick out your hounds I have something to tell you. I have a suspicion where the brigands are hiding. We can let you choose your dogs and send you on your way, let the army handle their own problems, guarding those farms until they arrive. But other farms may be hit in the meantime, your tenants most likely, for there are no small-holders left to attack.

Or we can leave my boys at the farms with their hounds, four boys and as many hounds, all well-trained, boys armed to the teeth, and drive on to a certain little hut in the woods ourselves, taking my Blackear and your young fry, I assure you, they're impressive and very obedient.