Montana Rhapsody Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Paris looked surprised. "I didn't mention to anyone I want to remain here till early September."

"Oh I can't recall that you did," Annie said airily.

Paris shrugged and looked at Hal. He shrugged, unable to help solve that little poser.

"You have me for better or for worse," Paris called.

He grinned and said he could do worse, disappearing with Annie's bags.

"You two will marry in August," Annie said, crawling through the rear doors of the Toyota.

"What!" shrieked Paris, jumping into the back and almost bowling Annie over in her eagerness to face her.

"I don't recall saying anything," Annie said.

"You did, you did. I swear you did, but I only just heard you."

Annie shrugged.

Frustrated, Paris grabbed two bags and turned, catching Annie with a smile on her face that disappeared totally in a millisecond.

"GRRRRRRRR!" growled Paris, stomping away. She thought she could hear Annie laughing.

The three ranch hands had loaded hay to be taken out next morning and went over to one of the calving barns for some fun.

Hal arrived with Paris and handed her a lariat off a hook on the wall. "Here, this is your first experience as a wrangler. So note carefully what happens to record later for your book. In particular memorize your feelings."

Paris smelt a con so was almost on her toes, ready for it.

"Okay boys, let him out. Take as many shots as necessary to try to rope him, as you're only a freshman Paris. Then place the halter on him."

Ah, a lively calf that's probably strong enough to pull her over, thought Miss Rodeo. As soon as it ran after being caught she'd brace herself and dig in her heels and lean back. She'd have the last laugh.

Paris walked closer, swinging the lariat and was surprised how well she could do it. The rope around the noose area seemed stiffer than the section she was holding. The solid gate of the pen opened and out lumbered an Angus bull with a massive neck, coal-black eyes and it was dribbling.

"Eeeeek, save me," she yelled, dropping the rope and running into the arms of the laughing boss. She could hear the ranch hands laughing, almost falling off their perches.

"You fucking no-brainer country boys," she fumed, sending Hal off into another spasm of laughter.

"Show the New York cocktail bar queen how it's done Larry. The oldest hand, he looked about sixty, came into the arena carrying the halter, walked along side the completely passive bull and leaned over his neck to put on the halter.

Acknowledging the cheering Larry stepped forward and took a bow. For Paris her humiliation was complete except just as Larry straightened up the bull waddled forward and walked all over the squawking ranch hand. The other two ranch hands rushed forward to pick him up and dust him down while Paris fell about laughing.

"Oh my back," groaned the victim.

"He could be hurt, the bull weights twenty-two hundred pounds. Fortunately the ground is soft."

"Not a major boss," Larry said bravely. "One hoof just deflected some ribs rather too much for comfort."

"Tom fetch the liniment from the first aid box," Hal ordered.

"You guys carry Larry and place him on his belly on those feed sacks," Paris said. "Removed his jacket, shirt and anything else under his shirt but do it gently."

She rubbed in the strong-smelling lotion until Larry began crying, "Oh yes, ooh y-e-s, ooh y-e-s"

Red-faced Paris headed back to the first aid box with the liniment, going closer to the rear of the bull than necessary to show she wasn't scared. Just as she reached it the bull raised its tail.

"Crap on me and I'll shove this open tube up your ass and squeeze it empty," she yelled.

Incredibly the tail lowered like a wet rag.

The hooting and hollering she heard behind her made Paris grin in triumph, albeit small triumph.

A minute later Tom appeared leading a brown and white horse he called a Paint. "Her name is Bambi. We keep her around for when small kids come here."

"Oh yeah."

"Miss it's the truth."

"Oh yeah."

"It is the truth Paris. Bambi really is a bambi," Hal said. "We've had enough laughs for all week. If Tom is lying I'll stick that tube where he wouldn't want it."

"Promise?"

"Absolutely."

The guys sat on the railing while Paris went over and introduced herself to Bambi. She swung into the saddle with ease and came off it again to lower the stirrups. She rode a circuit at a walk and then kicked the horse into a trot but there was no response. The heels thudded into the horse; she went straight from walk into canter. On the third circuit Paris leaned right back on the horse's rump until she was not far short of being horizontal. Her hat fell off.

On the next circuit, still as a canter, she leaned over to recover her hat to applause. On her fifth and final lap she grabbed the saddle-horn, leapt off on to the dirt floor and bounced back effortlessly to regain her seat. This time the applause was hearty.

"You are professionally trained," Alan said.

"Yes but that was years ago. I began riding lessons when I was three. I still ride twice a week on Manhattan Island."

"What, around the Statue of Liberty."

"I don't think so Larry," she laughed. "It's shark-filled water out there."

Paris asked Hal how many horses were there on the ranch.

"Forty-eight at the last count."

"Can you do me a sound, long-striding black mare about 15.4 hands who can jump?"

"We have three that fit that specification more or less but I'm not sure about jumping ability nor standing that high."

"I'm not into roping and cutting; I require all-day riding. The height I stated suggests some Arab in the blood lines."

"Marissa boss."

"Thank you Alan," Hal frowned. "For that you go out tomorrow when you have some free time and bring back Marissa for Tom to unwind when he has free time."

Unsmiling, Hal turned to Paris and said, "Marissa was dad's four-year-old."

He appeared quite taken aback when Paris said quietly, "Then in that case I'll be honored if I am permitted to have her for the duration of my stay. I'd prefer she being kept in the small pasture with Paint. "I'll encourage Annie to come out riding with me."

"Annie hasn't ridden for years."

Paris smiled and said the Paint would be a good mount to start with. "It's like a bike, you never forget how to ride although some of your muscles have rather short-term memory. When she's become seasoned we ride out with Alan and allow Annie her choice. She'll probably go for something with endurance and the fire of a mustang, methinks."

"Prairie Queen."

"Thank you Alan," Hal said icily.

* * *

Hal thawed as he and Paris walked back to the house, not quite touching. "You were impressive in the barn."

"Oh I was? I hope I didn't put a little toe out of place."

"You were somewhat over-familiar with the men."

"Oh dear although I'm not the boss's wife you regard me as so in that respect."

"Well, er, no that's not what I meant."

She smiled and took his arm and her arm wasn't cast aside. "What did you mean?"

"I mean there has to be an order to things, the boss must be seen to be the boss."

She cocked her head, forcing him to look at her. "So you think I was under-minding your authority?"

"Well, not with the men; you seem to be earning your own level of respect from them. They er..."

"They er what?"

"Almost have you up on a pedestal, only you won't allow that and they have got the message."

"Oh dear, how naughty of me."

They kicked through the snow in silence briefly until she said, "So how bad am I in my relationship with Annie."

He wriggled his body and coughed and finally said, "No it's okay. You are moving to treat her like a girl friend and that could be good for Annie. This horse stuff, you see yourself out riding with her most days?"

"Yes and why not?"

"That's treating her like family."

Paris counted to ten and then said calmly, "Hal, how did your mother treat Annie?"

He attempted to pull away but she held him with surprising strength.

Steam from the cold late afternoon air plumed from his nostrils and then his shoulders slumped: "Oh God, like family, the closest of family."

"Thank you for being honest with me," Paris said, pulling away from Hal.

"Paris, my friend. You are welcome to take Annie out riding if that's what she wants."

"Oh Hal," Paris said, moving in very close and putting her arm around him. "You can be so accommodating."

Hal sounding a little confused said, "Who me?"

They entered the house noisily and Annie greeted them smiling. "The range war is over."

Paris and Hal looked at each other, wondering what she was on about. Their eyes locked momentarily longer that necessary. It appeared something had been ignited by Annie's pragmatic and accurate comment.

"Bath," Paris called in confusion and raced away.

"I'll join you," he shouted and she squealed; the sound wasn't a 'No'. But he stayed back reading the newspapers that Tom had been out to fetch in from the mailbox. There were five delayed deliveries plus this morning's one.

When Hal, spruced up, entered the kitchen-breakfast room Paris sat him on the window seat and drew back the heavy drapes so interior lighting shone out on to the ten-plus inches of snow.

"It's cold," he complained.

"It's not, the temperature has scarcely dropped since 4:00," she observed acutely.

"So many distractions this afternoon I'm a little out of kilter," he added, scratching his head.

Paris pulled a chair around to face the sofa and returned practically dragging Annie who complained that she was in the middle of cooking dinner.

"It's cooking itself at this stage and it's too early to make the gravy."

Annie looked nervously at Hal because this was his quiet corner pre-meal. He rolled a hand uppermost and raised an eyebrow as if to say a new regime has taken over.

Annie relaxed.

Paris returned with a glass of fruit juice for Annie, already knowing it was her preference over alcohol, and a glass of wine for herself. She sprawled on the sofa, resting back against Hal after giving him no option but to raise his inner arm and when she was settled to place it over her shoulder. He grabbed his beer.

"Well, how cozy. Time for a tête-à-tête. What was the most exciting thing you did today Annie?"

Annie smiled at Paris and said exciting things didn't happen to a person who spent the day doing the housework, cooking and taking an afternoon nap.

"Did you dream?"

Annie's eyes misted. "I saw my mother and father standing, my mother holding my baby sister, watching my two older brothers sitting me on a pony. It was the first time I had been lifted on to a horse; I looked so happy."

That comment curled Annie's toes. She was a romantic and that was why she wrote romance novels. Then Hal really set her alight.

"In her younger days Annie was untouchable in this region of the state in bare-back horse races for women at fairs and at her peak was called to be one of the celebrities at special events in Billings and Great Falls."

"Hal, Paris is not interested in hearing about me," Annie said, adding "The gravy" and moved to leave for the stove.

"Tell Annie about my need as a greenhorn for a riding companion," Paris said softly.

Relaxed and feeling rather conscious of each other, Hal and Paris watched Annie dabbing her eyes while she stood over the gravy pan.

Paris said, "I know ranching is a hard life and made even harder in this unforgiving part of the country Hal. I know ranchers and their people have to be tough and act tough, as that is part of survival and for most there's not a lot of spare money at hand. But I hope you have just learned that what you have just told Annie so kindly and expressively has made her into one happy woman. She's still too young to vegetate in a kitchen."

"Lesson learned." Hal said, lowering his hand and attempting in vain to grab some flesh around her tummy. "Good gracious woman, you need supplementary feeding."

"I don't think so," she said, pulling the hand on to her left breast.

"Silly, how have I gotten it so wrong?"

She felt his breath come close to her ear, but the kiss didn't arrive.

As they finished dinner Annie said, "The snow has finished until the next dump, maybe in eight days' time."

Paris, with four wines consumed, giggled and thought that comment was scarcely profound.

As Annie took away plates she said, "New moon appears tonight, a good omen for you two."

"How would she know?" Paris whispered. "Is there a moon chart around here?"

"Lunar activity charts appear in the newspaper but Annie does need to read that stuff. If you knew what Annie knows it could scare you. We'll be hit by another snowstorm in eight days. I'd bet on it."

Paris went to bed first and slipped between the sheets hopefully. She was nude. When Hal thumped into bed and rolled on to his back she asked, "Do I get a goodnight kiss?"

"A kiss?" he said uneasily.

"You kiss your horse don't you?"

"No and for your information I have seven horses."

"You'll have a favorite?"

"Yes."

"So you don't ever kiss her?"

"He's a him," Hal said stiffly.

"Oh, sorry."

That response apparently appealed. He leant over and kissed her something marginally better than a peck but he ruined it sounding horrified, "Christ, you're nude."

"You want to try it sometime. You'll sleep better," she said crossly and when he turned away she turned her back on him.

CHAPTER 2

At breakfast Hal agreed the thaw had set in and Paris could go shopping but he better come with her.

"I want to buy underwear."

"Er the think the boys will need supervising. You go with her Annie."

"Stop being so protective Hal, Paris is one independent woman."

Paris asked Hal for the address of his accountant because she wanted to call in and sign on as a ranch hand.

"But I haven't decided whether to hire you."

"What you sleep with me but can't decided whether I'm suitable to hire?"

Hal grabbed his hat and rushed to the door, calling to Annie to give Paris Merle Cook's address.

"That boy has never met anyone quite like you," Annie grinned.

"Boy? Just how old is he?"

"Thirty-one, born June the first."

"I'm almost a year older."

"I thought you were."

Driving her 'truck' out to the highway, Paris experienced no problems. On the last mile there were sections where snow had thawed completely and the slush had drained away.

When she reached the end of the secondary highway where the roadblock had been, she saw a Highway Patrol Trooper parked using his radar on approaching traffic on the main highway. She pulled up behind, aware he was looking at her vehicle.

"Good morning ma'am," he said, as she walked up to him. "I don't recognize your vehicle. Are you lost?"

"No, I'm staying on the Harrop Ranch."

"Ah," he said, turning serious.

"Look a couple of days ago I found my way blocked on this road. I'm from New York so didn't understand the significance thinking the closure was for sedans. Hal, do you know Hal?"

"Yes, everyone around here knows Hal the recluse. As an adult he only came out to play football and made himself into a local hero."

"Well Hal said I was a naughty girl and Annie called your depot to advise I had gotten through okay."

"Annie she's a legend around here. She was a fine rider, one of the best. She also took a company of mining prospectors to court when they violated her people's land with the authorities turning a blind eye. She presented the case, assisted by an attorney and won. Outside the court the weasel that was the mining company's president came up and berated her and when he really lost it and called her a f------ bitch she dropped him, out cold. It was caught on TV cameras. He later wanted Annie charged with assault but this time the authorities a blind eye when it was really merited."

"Wow, great story. I wish to apologize for my behavior and can I offer to make a donation to a Highway Patrol charity?"

The trooper pushed aside his book of traffic violation tickets and pulled up a receipt book.

"Certainly ma'am."

"I'm repentant so one hundred dollars."

"Thank you ma'am."

Paris sang all the way into town, thinking she must visit the library for copies of all relevant articles of that case for her book. Names and the type of case would be changed but the woman would still be proudly of Crow descent.

She pulled into the gas station to top up with diesel and noticed a woman peering at her. The woman waved to two other women customers who also looked at her. One came forward. "Excuse me, but are you the novelist Paris McCoy who latest book is 'A Pregnant Pause'? I think I recognize you by your photo on the dust jacket."

"Yes."

The three women introduced themselves.

"Oh Merle Cook? I was on my way to see you to sign on as a ranch hand at Burrow's Ranch."

The three women looked agog.

"What?" said the woman called Maddie. "The word is that the longest any woman visiting Hal has stayed on Burrow's Ranch in the past dozen years is forty-eight hours. She was dumped at the gate where a cab called by Hal was waiting for her."

"Well, I'll be there for nine months," Paris began confidently. "What's wrong?"

She colored and said, "No I'm not in retreat as a pregnant unmarried woman. I only met him two days ago. He's my third cousin. I'm researching for a new novel, a western."

"A western," Maddie Jones gasped. "Please excuse me." She stood aside with her cell phone.

Elsie Hunger said, "Miss McCoy. I'm president of the Woman's Auxiliary, would you be kind enough to attend our next monthly luncheon at noon on Friday week?"

"Yes, gladly. The chance to interface with local women is welcomed."

"Er, to address the meeting," Elsie said.

"Well yes, although I may struggle to say anything interesting."

"You hail from New York, which is interest enough," Elsie beamed. "Anything you can tell us about Hal Harrop will be a splendid bonus."

Maddie returned, putting her phone away. "My husband Ritchie is publisher of "The Examiner'. A photographer and reporter are on their way to interview you Miss McCoy. Please say yes."

"Oh dear, this will blow my cover. Not even my publisher knows details of this secret assignment."

"Secret assignment?" Maddie echoed, making a mental note.

"Yes, but I've established so quickly and off to such a flying start that I guess the covers can come off."

"Flying start... covers can come off," Maddie repeated. "Journalists will descend upon us like confetti."

"Not a chance," Paris laughed. "What is the print run of your newspaper, 5000?"

"Just over 1700," Maddie said defensively. "Our main income comes from commercial printing."

"Hayseed Publishing prints more than half the bull sale catalogues printed in all of Montana," Merle said proudly. "I'm the company's only outside director and prepare its annual report."

The women cleared their vehicles from the forecourt and waited for the Press to arrive.

The reporter was a shy girl of perhaps seventeen while the photographer was a wiry woman of about fifty.

"I love your books Miss McCoy. We're told you're staying on the Burrow's Ranch. How is Annie?"

Paris told the photographer, "Annie is well. She really appears to be a remarkable woman."

The older women nodded seriously while the young woman looked bewildered.

"Hannah, would you mind if I asked the questions while you note the questions and answers?"

The cub reporter looked at Maddie relieved and said, "Not at all, Mrs Jones."

Maddie, obviously a former reporter, interviewed with ease and Paris told her everything except anything about her tenuous relationship with Hal and sleeping in his bed.

"How do you find Hal Harrop?"

"Tall, lean and tough. The kind of guy I imagine it takes to ensure this country and its weather don't nail you terminally."