Moondust Hollow Ch. 01: Arrival

Story Info
A farm in sleepy Moondust Hollow is in debt to the town.
2.3k words
4.05
14.5k
9

Part 1 of the 8 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 02/09/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The bus ride to the quiet little town had been long and hot and dusty, with little to look at by the way of scenery. Elsie had clutched her bag on the seat beside her and wondered if she was doing the right thing. To quit her job and cash out her savings to break her lease and move from the big city was a big change.

But wasn't that what she needed? Change called to her, freedom from being behind a desk, trapped at a computer monitor doing work she hated for a soulless corporation that considered her just another cog in the machine. She was one of the lucky ones; not everyone could inherit a cozy private farm from their grandfather. Elsie would not waste this chance.

When the bus signaled her stop, she thought perhaps there must be some mistake; there was no bus depot here, just a single sign by the road and a tiny sun-bleached bench that looked more splinter than solid wood. But a woman with warm ginger hair grinned at her and took her bag as Elsie stepped nervously from the bus.

"Elsie Stanton?"

"Yes, ma'am." The woman couldn't be older than her early forties, but Elsie reverted to her good southern manners when nervous.

Her companion grinned at the answer. "I'm Rachel, I'm the town carpenter. Liam-he's the mayor, of course, but we all just call him Liam-asked me to meet you and bring you out to the farm. I'm afraid the building on the property will need some work, but we'll talk about that later. Goodness, you're pretty. Everyone is going to love you."

"Th-thank you." The compliment-so direct and without a hint of shyness-took Elsie by surprise and she flushed, unsure how to respond. Nor did she know how to answer the bit about the farm building needing work; she'd not had a chance to see the property before now, but she'd assumed Grandfather had kept up on repairs. If he hadn't, that was going to be a problem; she had no money left to commission a carpenter.

Rachel grinned again. "Let me get your bag. No, I insist," she said in a firmer tone, shouldering the strap on an arm that was indeed lithe and wiry with more muscle than Elsie possessed. The little bag, which was barely more than a few belongings and her clothes, seemed not to bother the older woman at all. "C'mon, the farm is just down this way. I know Liam is dying to meet you."

Linking her free arm with Elsie's, she guided her down a road that was hardly more than a dirt path. Elsie glanced back at the bus station sign, battered to the point of unreadability. There wasn't even a schedule posted. Well, what did it matter? She'd come to stay, and stay she would. However tough things became, they couldn't be worse than the empty existence she was fleeing.

--

"You can see it's not in the best condition," Liam said in a diplomatic way, showing her about the little cabin.

Elsie tried not to gawk at the holes in the walls which had been covered over with tape and paper. The spring weather was mild enough that she'd survive the night, but all this would have to be fixed by winter.

"You'll want to hire Rachel to fix the place up before it gets cold," he continued as if reading her thoughts, "but you have quite a bit of time until then. Enough to turn your seed capital into profit."

She nodded, swallowing back a lump in her throat. The state of the land outside was a terrifying mess-trees and long grass and stones everywhere-but she knew farming would mean hard work when she signed up. She wasn't afraid to get her hands dirty. "You bought seeds already, with the money I sent?" she asked, turning back to him. They'd corresponded several times by mail, she and he, when setting up the move; though she now wished he'd been a bit more candid about the state of affairs on the farm.

"All there in that chest," Liam said, nodding with a smile at the little storage chest beside her bed. "Along with your grandfather's old tools. Ah, it will be so nice to see the farm put to good use again."

"I hope so. I want to do him proud," Elsie said with a warm smile. *And get out of the city rat race, and away from a manager who doesn't know my name or what I do or who I am. I want to be a human being again.*

"Well, I'll leave you to get some rest. That bus ride is a long one, I know." He returned her warm smile but despite his words he did not move to go. "I suppose..." He paused and Elsie looked up at him, expectant at his tone. "This might be better left for tomorrow, but we should speak about your evening schedule."

This was new and Elsie frowned in confusion. "My what?"

"Your evening schedule. The work you'll be doing for the townspeople after your own work day ends."

Elsie hesitated, her confusion deepening. "I'm sorry, I don't understand."

The mayor's smile was gentle. "To pay off the debt on the farm."

Her voice nearly caught in her throat at the prospect of more money needed. "There must be some mistake. My grandfather owned the farm, sir. Free and clear of debt. He left it to me."

"Yes, dear, but the property taxes have been due every year since he died, and his estate was unable to pay the cost. The town has so far eaten the price rather than let the land be auctioned off, as we didn't want a factory moving in and polluting the land. Now that you've taken ownership, you'll need to pay those taxes yourself next year, but there's also the back years that need paying. None of that came free."

Elsie clenched her eyes closed, determined not to cry. "I don't have any more money," she explained, her voice hoarse.

Liam's voice was soothing, like a skilled rancher to a skittish horse. "We know you don't, dear. No one is expecting you to write checks you can't afford. That's why we came up with a work program. Every evening at six, you'll report to your scheduled family for the night. You'll do whatever they need you to do, and you'll be free to go at midnight. Like Cinderella," he joked, but the joke fell flat.

*Oh, god, I'll be so tired.* She'd been planning to get up at six every morning to greet the day, pull weeds, plant seeds, and water gardens. Six hours of sleep between midnight and dawn wasn't much, especially after a full day of work. Still, she could manage. She wasn't afraid of hard labor.

"Okay," she agreed, very softly. She opened her eyes and looked up to find him watching her. "If it'll pay off my debts, that seems fair. I don't want to be a burden on anyone."

"Excellent," he enthused. "You're going to fit in so well here, I know. Tomorrow night you'll be placed with Rachel and her husband. You'll like them, I'm sure."

Only after he left did she realize she'd forgotten to ask what kind of work she'd be doing. "Some kind of carpentry work, I guess," she told herself as she tossed and turned under the threadbare sheet of her bed and tried to ignore the wind flapping against the paper-covered holes. She'd learn to manage.

--

The town bell rang five times at five pm and she put up her tools and headed into town. Several people waved at her or stopped to say hi and she brightened; in a friendly town like this, she wouldn't mind working for people. That was how communities prospered, after all, with everyone chipping in to help wherever help was needed. So engrossed was she in conversation that the six o'clock bell chimed before she realized how late she was. Making her excuses, she jogged the rest of the way to Rachel's house on the hill.

"Elsie!" Rachel's delighted voice rang out as she entered the large cottage, and the ginger-haired woman came out from behind a shop counter to take her hands in greeting and kiss her on the cheek. "I was afraid you weren't coming," she added, a frown creasing her face.

"No, no, I'm so sorry," Elsie said, panting a little from the jog. "I just lost track of time, you see."

Rachel seemed to be waiting for something more, but when this was all that was said she merely nodded. "Well. You're here now. Come on back and I'll introduce you to Darryl."

Elsie followed her back through the long hallways of the cabin, marveling at the size of the place and its beauty; whatever else she was, Rachel must be a genius carpenter. The older woman led her to a bedroom with a dark oaken door and, on the other side, a mammoth king-sized bed covered in green satin on which sprawled a tall dark man in his late forties, reading a book. He hopped up when they entered, a smile on his handsome face and his hand outstretched in greeting. "Elsie? I'm Darryl. So pleased to meet you."

"Nice to meet you," Elsie returned with warmth, enjoying the feel of his firm handshake. "Um, I'm the new farmer in town."

"So you are. We're all very excited to meet you." Brown eyes studied her from head to toe, lingering just long enough to cause a little shiver. "You're as pretty as Rachel says. But not punctual."

Elsie frowned and gave a little laugh, light and easy. "Ah, no. I'm really sorry. I didn't realize how long a walk it is from here to my house," she explained. Privately, she was surprised to find this point so harped on. "But I'm here now, and ready to work."

Darryl gave her a long look, then glanced at Rachel; the older woman shrugged and looked down at her hands. "Well, you're here now," he echoed Elsie's words, seeming to come to a decision, "but a reminder for next time is necessary." Walking to a nearby dresser made of dark silky wood, he drew a riding crop from the top drawer. "Remove your clothes and place your palms on the bed, bent over with your ass out."

She blinked at him, shocked into silence. "W-what?"

"Elsie." His voice was gentle but implacably firm. "The longer you keep me waiting, the more strokes you will receive. Take off your clothes, bend over, and place your palms on the bed."

"I... no! No, I'm not- there's been a misunderstanding?" Panicked, she looked to Rachel for help.

Rachel stepped forward and took the young woman by the shoulders, rubbing her hands reassuringly up and down her arms. "Honey, did Liam not explain the work program? That you are ours from six to midnight?"

"For... for chores, yes," Elsie stammered, horrified by the direction this was taking. "Not... sex work."

The older woman smiled, her eyes kind. "Well," she said, in a tone of someone winning an argument with undeniable logic, "the chores we have for you *are* sex work. Now do as Darryl says, dear, and take these off."

Elsie froze as Rachel began peeling her clothes away, unable to resist or help. This was unthinkable. Yet here she was in a bedroom with an older married couple, one of which was undressing her while the other watched with unreadable eyes and a riding crop in his strong hands. She could run, but what good would that do? She would escape to a rickety shack of paper-thin walls, no money, no way to leave this place, and nowhere to go if she did; she'd take ownership of a debt she couldn't pay except by selling off the land she was trying to make a living on. She wasn't tied to the bed here, but she was trapped all the same.

A whimper escaped her throat and Rachel paused in her act of undressing to rub her arms again, now naked and bare. "Don't be scared, sweetheart," she whispered, her eyes soft as she studied Elsie from mere inches away. Leaning forward she kissed the younger woman, her lips velvet smooth and warm and tasting faintly of cherries; even in her fear, Elsie felt a gathering heat in her stomach at the kiss. Sensing Darryl's eyes on her from behind didn't help matters, and the transgression of kissing a man's wife while he watched made something twitch inside her. If she submitted to their punishment, would more kisses follow?

Rachel took her hands gently in hers and guided her to the bed. "Just like this," she murmured, placing Elsie's palms on the bed. "Let me look at you." Rachel slid onto the bed and let her golden ginger hair fall down around her shoulders like a goddess. She lay on her side, clothed and smiling, and looked upon Elsie as though the naked young woman were the most precious thing in the world. Elsie swallowed and stared back, dazzled by the unexpected power this older woman seemed to wield over her.

"Good girl." A warm hand cupped Elsie's buttocks and she gasped in surprise; she'd almost forgotten Darryl as she watched his wife watch her. He caressed her bare skin with his hand, leaving trails of warmth where he touched, and she whimpered again. Was she really doing this?

As if sensing the question, he seized the initiative. She heard the riding crop swish once and then pain exploded across her buttocks. Warmth coiled inside her, a demanding need that confused her even as she felt its insistent pull.

[to be continued]