Moonlight Ch. 01

Story Info
The discovery.
2.4k words
4.4
17.9k
7
0

Part 1 of the 6 part series

Updated 10/29/2022
Created 07/29/2008
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
AnyaLeena
AnyaLeena
32 Followers

She ran like moonlight across the lake, such silent beauty. Trim muscles tightening, she leaped over the fallen tree and was slipping through the night once more. Breathing deeply, she took in the scents of the forest. Moist earth. Crisp air. Hot blood.

She stopped and sniffed the air once more. No, it wasn't a mistake. She could smell it. Taste it. That pulse of life that made her tongue tingle. She darted to the right, chasing the flickering scent. Glimpsing the flash of white, she pounced on the defenseless creature. And shifting shape, howled at the moon with victory.

~~~~~~

"Lena, wait up. Please? Just one little favor, that's it."

Turning away from the counter, Selena continued counting her stock. "I told you last time, Sunny. No more favors. They just cause trouble, and I'm done with trouble." She looked back at Sunny and knew she had to get her out before she gave in. Sunny was the baby of the family, and knew enough tricks to get her way. And Selena was tired of caving in. Sighing, she turned down the next aisle to continue her work, Sunny following right behind.

"Look, little sister. You know I'd love to help you. But let's face it. You're a walking natural disaster."

"Now don't you think that's a little harsh? I mean, it wasn't totally my fault that the pier gave way."

Selena cocked her hip and shook her head. "Course it wasn't totally your fault. You just happened to have forgotten to let Jim know that you put the anchor down. So when he took off in the boat, the pier took off with him."

Sunny flinched. "That was a little mistake..." Lena walked further down the aisle, noting that the paraffin lotion was running low.

"Then there was the time when you were at the beach, and leaned against the concession stand. I've never seen a building collapse without the use of dynamite before that."

"But those were all accidents, Lena. I'll be super careful this time. I really need this job. Please."

Selena huffed and glanced behind her. Sunny was right. She really needed this job. Now that it was just the two of them left to take care of Aurora, they needed all the money they could get.

"Fine, fine. What time's the interview?"

Sunny jumped up and down, then grabbed Selena for a hug. "Oh thank you, thank you, Lena. I knew you wouldn't let me down. You're the best sister ever!"

Jostling up and down, she took Sunny by the shoulders to steady herself. "I didn't say yes.... I asked what time the interview was." Sunny stopped jumping, and now acting prim and proper, answered, 'It's at 4 p.m. this afternoon."

"Left it to the last minute huh?' Noting Sunny's embarrassed grin, she continued. "I can cut out of work here by 3:30. Meet me here then, and I'll drive you over. I don't trust you with my car, but I think we should be relatively safe with me driving."

"Thanks, big sis. I owe you one." And with one last hug, the whirlwind known as her sister rushed out of the store.

"Man, I caved in again!! You've really got to stop this Selena. Don't give in. Stand your ground," she muttered to herself. Shaking her head, she went back towards the counter. She glanced at the mirror above the gift wrap table, looking for the 'sucker' written on her forehead. Instead she saw the same face she saw every morning. Curly black hair that tended to get a little unruly. Gray eyes, like fairy smoke, her mom had once said. And enough of a tilt on the ends of her eyes and nose to look like exactly like that fairy. An annoyed one at this moment. "Yup. Next time, it's definitely a no." Wrapped up in her appraisal, she missed the sound of the bell above the door. "Oh well. Family's family."

"You know, they say it isn't healthy to talk to yourself." Startled, Selena whipped around and looked up. And up. Into the most beautiful blue eyes she had ever seen. God, he's built. And running a glance down his body, she could attest that he was built everywhere. Down girl, Lena thought a second later, feeling herself grow damp at the ideas flashing in her head. You don't have time to go there.

"Nope," she said. "It's only bad if you answer back." As he grinned at her remark, she couldn't help but notice how white and shiny is teeth were. She'd always been a fool for a great smile. "So what can I do for you?" she asked, heading back toward the counter."

"I was actually hoping you could tell me where the owner is." He leaned up against the counter, flashing that grin again. Always up for a little flirting, Selena put her elbows on the counter & propped her chin in her hands.

"Now why would you want that?"

"Well see, I'm the new sheriff in town, and I'm going around introducing myself to the locals. I want to make sure they know who I am, and feel comfortable with me. Let them know this town's in capable hands."

Selena was frozen. She heard over & over, I'm the new sheriff. The new sheriff. New sheriff. Oh no, she thought. And things had been going so well. Looks like we might be moving again.

~~~~~

Lena stood upright and stuck her hand out. "Well, you're talking to her. Selena Murray, proprietor of Luna."

He took her hand, but instead of shaking it, simply held it. "Nice to meet you, Ms Murray. Sheriff Conor Quinn, at your service."

A hot spark raced across her palm, causing Selena to pull her hand away. She came around the counter, and went back to straightening the shelves. "It's a pleasure to meet you. How do you like living here at Silver Lake?"

He followed behind her. "I will say the views here are spectacular." She glanced over her shoulder, and caught his grin. "But besides the view, it's been great. The people here are very friendly. And the weather's much better than Michigan, which is where I'm from."

She made a note on the sheet that her mint body cream was low. "That's because you're here in the summer months. Winter in the Northwest can get just as cold."

Conor's grin flashed once more. "Well now, the best remedy for the cold is a warm body next to you, or so I heard." There was no mistaking the invitation in his eyes. It was just too damn bad he was a cop.

Lena moved further along the aisle, making notes here and there. "Well lucky for you Sheriff that there are plenty of single bodies up here. I'm sure you won't be left wanting for company." She laid her clipboard down and turned to face him. "It's been a pleasure to meet you, but as you can see, you caught me right in the middle of inventory. Welcome to Silver Lake and have a great day." She turned to escort him to the door.

"Believe me, the pleasure's been mine." He caught her eyes, letting her see the heat there then calmly reached to open the door. Just before walking out, turned once more towards Lena, who was watching him with wary eyes. "I'll be seeing you around."

Here's your hat, what's your hurry? Conor thought, as he walked out of the shop. That was the quickest 180 flip he'd ever seen. She went from being warm and flirty to cold and quiet in a second. The second he'd mentioned he was a sheriff. He hoped she wasn't wanted for anything. There was something special about this one. She managed to soothe him and excite him at the same time. Well, he'd do a little digging around her background, and get some up close and personal time with her. He always did love a challenge. If there was something going on, well, he'd take care of it in his own time. But if there wasn't... well he'd be putting a different kind of look into those smoky eyes of Selena Murray.

~~~~~~

"Dear goddess, that was close." Selena grabbed the clipboard and sat behind the counter. She couldn't even seem to focus, but instead kept staring at her hand. That spark. The moment they had touched, her wolf inside had jumped for joy. Her heart was still beating at triple-time and she could feel the sweat pouring down her back. She didn't know what was going on, or why her wolf had wanted to jump the man and mate with him, but she wasn't going near him again. Conor Quinn was going to be trouble. She could taste it. Too bad she'd rather taste him.

The jingle above the door broke her train of thought. Lena looked up and saw Sunny looking at her a little sideways.

"You okay Lena? You look a little shell-shocked."

She shook her head, and stood up to walk around the counter. "I'm fine, don't worry. But what are you doing back so soon?"

Sunny just smiled indulgently at her. "You did say to meet you at 3:30 right?" Lena looked up at the clock on the wall and couldn't believe her eyes. It was indeed 3:30. The meeting with Conor hadn't taken long, so she must have been sitting there for quite some time.

"I did say 3:30. Sorry but I didn't realize what time it was. Let me just grab my keys to lock up and we'll head out. Where's the interview at again?" Selena headed into the back to grab her purse and jacket just as Sunny responded. Walking back out again, she stated "Sorry Sunny, didn't catch that. Where did you say it was?

"The Crescent Doll." Sunny waited for the explosion. She didn't have to wait long.

"WHAT! No way, I don't think so. You are not working at a strip club, Sunny, no matter how classy they say it is."

Lena grabbed Sunny by the arm, and dragged her out the store, locking the door up behind them. "I'm taking you home. You can call them from there and say that there was a mistake. That's all."

"I won't be stripping, sis. I'm just gonna be the bartender. I won't even be working around the crowd. I'll be safe and sound behind the big bar." She rolled her eyes as Selena just stood there, arms crossed, foot tapping. "Besides Lena. The explanation still applies. I need this job. And it's the only thing I can start right away. Everything else will take a while. You know that. I know that. Hell, even Rory knows it."

Selena stood looking at her sister for a little while longer. With long blonde hair, and bright blue eyes, Sunny was the very image of her name. She was always cheerful and friendly, and those great traits could sometimes get her in trouble. "Sunny, why don't you just work for me? You know that the shop is doing well enough now that I could use some help."

Sunny chuckled. "No offense, Lena, but you know I couldn't work for you. It's bad enough that you're the boss of us at home. I don't think I could take you being my boss when I'm at work too. But I'll make you a promise." At this, Sunny grabbed Lena's hand solemnly. "If anything happens, and I mean anything, then I'll quit and work at the shop until I can find something else. Deal?"

Selena was quiet for a moment, and then hugged Sunny tightly. "It's a deal. But I get to say I told you so. And maybe kick some butt, ok?"

"You got it," Sunny laughed. "Now let's get going. I don't want to be late on the first day."

During the car ride, Sunny prattled on about one thing and another. That was one trait about her sister that Selena could be thankful for. She didn't need another person to participate in a conversation. She was perfectly capable of handling the dialog all by herself. Which gave Selena some time to think about their current situation, and the new developments. Or rather, one hot hunky development. Whoa, so not going down that alley again. Granted he was gorgeous. And from the look of his build, she'd love to have a taste, she thought. But he was a distraction and one that they didn't need right now. They had just settled in, and didn't have the funds to move again. Plus they'd all agreed to stay put this time, no matter what happens. This was bound to happen at some point in time anyway. No need to freak out because a sheriff had stopped by.

As if Sunny had read her mind, she turned to Selena and asked, "So, have you met the hot Sheriff Quinn yet?"

Selena whipped her head around. "What? What do you mean? Did he say something to you?"

Sunny lifted her hands in surrender. "Hey, slow down Lena. It wasn't anything like that. Earlier today, I stopped by the club to get some of the last details out of the way when he stopped by to speak with Dennis. I was standing close by and heard him say that he wanted to meet everybody and say hi. And that he wanted to make sure that there'd be no trouble coming out of the club."

She gradually calmed down. "So what did Dennis say?"

Sunny brushed her hair back and checked to make sure her makeup was still perfect. Grabbing her bag, she freshened her lipstick. "Said that he wouldn't stand for that kind of shit anyways, and that the sheriff would be the first one called the minute something happens."

"I'll give Dennis credit," Lena said. "He definitely doesn't take shit from anyone. For a strip club, it is pretty safe I guess." Lena pulled into the parking lot, cut the engine, and turned to face Sunny again. "But a deal's a deal, Sunny. If anything happens, you quit. That day. No two week notice. Got it?"

Sunny got out of the car and peered through the window. "No sweat, Lena. I promise. I should be done here around 1."

Lena started the engine back up. "I'll be here to pick you up tonight. We'll celebrate your first night. But for the other nights, see if you can arrange a ride with one of the other girls, k? At least until we get you a car."

"Will do. See you tonight!" With that, she ran to the door. Just before walking in, she turned to wave to Lena. With a sigh, Selena turned the car around and headed home.

AnyaLeena
AnyaLeena
32 Followers