More than Friends

Story Info
Love blossoms between 2 best friends after becoming roommate.
7.9k words
4.61
62.5k
128
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter 1

Love and Learning the Hard Way

It's hard to believe that I, Kevin Peterson, get to have Jessica Graceson to share a dorm room with. I know what you're thinking, why on Earth would any college allow a guy and a girl share a dorm room? Well, Jessica isn't an ordinary girl, she's spectacular. She's amazing! She's my best friend. She's the world to me. Just looking at her unpacking her clothes releases butterflies in my stomach. How did I get so lucky?

I remember the day I met Jessica. My life has never been the same since. She moved in next door during the summer before my freshman year of high school. My parents thought it would be a great idea to introduce ourselves. My mom can be kind of nosey. So there we were, walking over to Jessica's house as they unloaded the U-Haul. My mom brought over a pie she made earlier that day. It was a stereotypical meet the neighbors kind of visit. We first met Jessica's dad carrying a box that had Jessica's name on it. He greeted us kindly when he saw us walking over. He seemed like a chill guy, friendly enough. His name is Dave and his wife Shauna came out and greeted us as well. My parents conversed with them as I tried to act like I was paying attention.

Then she walked out of the door! Her dark brunette hair all done up in a ponytail, a bright smile painted on her face... It was like the sun and moon revolved around her. At least it did to me. She was wearing a pair of relatively short black basketball shorts that showed off her toned legs. She also had on a tight navy blue t-shirt on. You could barely make out her abs. She was beautiful. I still remember the first thing I said to her.

"This is our beautiful daughter Jessica," her mother told us. "Jessica meet our neighbors. John, Meredith, and Kevin."

"I Kevin I'm Jessica," I spat out without thinking. "Wait that's not right..."

She laughed the most beautiful laugh I've ever heard. "It's nice to meet you, Jessica," she joked. Her sense of humor was definitely one of the things that attracted me to her.

"Hey I got a great idea, Kevin why don't you show Jessica around town?" my mom asked. Which was perfect.

"Yeah, that is a great idea. Jessica would love to," her mom volunteered.

And before I knew it, we were on our bikes riding through town. Checking out different shops. Obviously, Santa Barbara was too big to show her in one day, so I took her to the best ice cream shop ever! It was complete heaven. You see, I was a nobody at my school, San Marcos. Literally invisible. But Jessica, she was somebody, at least to me. We both ordered an ice cream cone and I paid. We ate our ice cream at one of the tables.

"So... What's the scoop on the school here?" she asked.

"You're going to San Marcos, right? Not Santa Barbara High?" I asked. "There are two different high schools in Santa Barbara."

"Yeah, which one has the blue and red team colors? That's San Marcos right?" she asked.

"Yep!"

"Then that's where I'm enrolling at," she said

"Awesome! That's where I go also!" I added. "It's your typical high school cliché. Literally, you have the school divided into a bunch of cliques that are further divided by even more cliques."

"So you're saying that there are cliques within cliques?" she asked.

"Yep and to further complicate it, certain cliques pretty much rule the school and other cliques pretty much are outcasts," I added.

"Let me guess, the popular kids, who are most likely the rich kids and jocks rule the school?" she asked as she slid her tongue slowly up the mountain of ice cream piled on her cone. I couldn't help but watch.

"Yep, pretty much..." I responded.

"Totally cliché!" she smirked. "So what clique are you in?"

"Me?" I asked as I took a big lick of my ice cream. "I'm not really in any of them."

"Oh... A loner," she said with a little bit of an exaggerated tone. "You don't seem like a loner."

"What do I seem like?"

"Someone who buys a girl ice cream and jokes about clichés," she joked. "Not really loner qualities. I bet you're the nice guy who everyone views as their friend."

"Ha, I doubt that. I'm more like the geek who reads too many comics," I admitted.

"Wow, in a school ruled by jocks, you're not afraid to admit you're a geek. You're brave! I admire that," she said.

Looking back on that day, it's hard to believe all the things that happened that led up to today. The day we moved into our dorm room.

Jessica glances over at me while she folds her clothes. She gives me that bright beautiful smile. I've seen that smile so many times and yet I still can't get used to it. "What?" she asks.

"Nothing," I mumbled, quickly looking away. I glance back to see if she's still looking at me, which of course she is.

"Seriously, you keep staring at me... " She gives me that look. "What are you thinking about right now?"

"I just can't believe we're roommates!" I tell her.

"I know, right!?" she smiles even though I know the reason why we're roommates is kind of a sore spot for her.

"Hey, remember that time you and I skipped class and walked the trails in San Antonio Canyon Park?" she asked.

"How can I forget, you practically forced me!"

"That's not how I remember it, you practically begged me to go."

"No way! The way I remember it, we were riding our bikes to class and you asked me to skip school with you." I remember that day all too well. It was April of our Freshman year. She asked me out of the blue if I would skip class with her. I hesitated at first. Came up with every excuse in the book.

"We can't skip class, what about the quiz in Earth Science?" I asked.

"Who cares! It's not like we're going to use Earth Science after we graduate..." she argued. "Come on Kevin, you know you want to! When you're old and gray, what memories do you want to look back on? The time you passed that Earth Science class or the day you skipped class with the coolest girl in the Country?"

"I wouldn't go that far... Coolest girl in the city? Maybe... " I quipped.

"Oh shut up... Are you going to come or not?" she asked.

"Fine..." I replied.

I followed her past the school a few miles until we reached the Park. The park itself was only a small strip of trees, but when you're always surrounded by buildings, it felt like a forest. We hid our bikes and started hiking up the trails. After a while, we found a fallen down tree and sat down for a small break.

"So what's the real reason you wanted to skip class?" I asked her.

She turned to look me in the eyes. It felt like she was searching for something. Looking back at it, I realize now she was trying to figure out whether she could trust me or not.

"I just needed a break from it all," she sighed.

"I guess I understand. Life sucks at this age..." I replied.

"You have no idea!" she said.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"It's nothing..." she mumbled as she looked away.

"It's got to be something, you can tell me. I'm not going to tell anyone." I told her. "Besides who am I going to tell anyway."

She glanced back at me. "It's my parents..."

"Shauna and Dave?" I asked. "What happened?"

"They just seemed to never stop fighting. I think they're going to get a divorce."

"Oh..." I sighed. "Did they say that?"

"No, but it's just... The way they talk to each other, or how they act when they think I'm not around." she tried to explain. "It's the subtle things. How they avoid each other and the looks they give each other. It's pretty much written on the wall."

"You know if things ever get to the point where you need someone to talk to or just a place to escape, you're always welcome to come over," I told her.

"Thanks, I appreciate it." She leaned over and rested her head on my shoulder. It felt like a shock went through my system. "I feel like I can always count on you, Kevin."

That day was one of the best days of my life, up until this moment. We stayed like that for awhile before we left.

"Earth to Kevin!" Jessica waves her hand in front of my face, snapping me out of it. "Lost you there for a second."

"Sorry, I was just thinking back to that day, life was so simple back then," I sigh.

"Speak for yourself, life was never simple for me," she sighs. "But I know what you mean."

"Right, sorry..." It's hard to think that the girl I met back then had already gone through so much. She hid her pain so well.

"God Kevin, you don't always have to apologize." She gave me smile, I knew she was kidding. She always loved to mess around. I can't help but remember the night of our Junior year before her basketball game with our rival school, who we shared the same town with, the Santa Barbara Dons.

I woke up that night to a hand covering my mouth. A person in a ski mask was leaning over me. I about freaked out. "Relax Kev, it's just me."

"Jessica?" I asked surprised.

She pulled off her mask and that all to familiar face appeared before me. She had the biggest grin on her face. "I got you one too!"

"Why do I need a ski mask? Are you planning on robbing a bank?" I asked for a flood of scary ideas ran through my mind.

"No Doo Doo, we're just going to hang up some banners," she said with a sly smile.

"Then why do you need a ski mask?"

"Because we don't want to get caught, obviously!" she replied.

"Why do we have to worry about getting caught if we're just hanging up Banners? And why do we have to do it in the middle of the night?"

"Because we're doing it at Santa Barbara's High School, duh! Look, we need you! So are you in or not Scout?" And of course, she'd call me that. Scout... It's short for Boy Scout. I've never been in the boy scouts, but for some reason, Jess thinks I'm the "Nice Guy" who would be the perfect boy scout.

"Fine... I better not get into trouble!" I argued.

"Okay Mr. Dudley DoRight," And there's another nickname, but it's pretty much the same. I pull myself up outta bed and turn on the bedside lamp.

"Someone was having a good dream!" She laughed. I looked down and noticed a tent was pitched in my pants. I quickly grabbed a pillow to cover up.

"Were you dreaming about me?!" She asked sarcastically with that wicked smile.

"Are you going to let me get dressed?" I asked abashed.

"Oh come on, it's not like I've never seen a boner before." she sighed. I gave her a look and she finally relented. "Fine, just hurry up. Sarah and Tiff are in the van waiting."

"Wait, Sarah and Tiff from the basketball team?!" I stuttered.

"No the other Sarah and Tiff I hang out with..." she said with a bit of annoyance in her voice.

"You don't have to be rude," I mumbled as I pulled on some socks, pants and a hoodie.

I followed her out to the van, which had a massive ladder on top of it. We piled into the back, with Sarah in the driver's seat and Tiff riding shotgun. "Hey Sarah, hey Tiff, so what's the plan?" I asked.

"We're going to hang up those posters all over Santa Barbara High," Sarah explained.

"By the time anyone notices, everybody will be arriving at school and there won't be enough time to get them all down," Tiff added.

"What do the posters say exactly?" I asked.

"Oh, you'll see!" Jessica said with a rather sly smirk on her face.

It didn't take long before we arrived at the school. Jess gives me a ski mask and we all put them on. I help Sarah get the ladder down while Tiff and Jessica grabbed all the posters. We rushed up to the entrance of the school. It's a large, rather grand entrance. It reminded me of a capital building in Mexico. Sarah and I got the ladder up against the entrance.

Tiff handed me a poster and some nylon rope. "Okay now climb up the ladder and hang up this poster."

"Why do I have to be the one to hang up this poster?" I asked.

"Because you're a better climber! Duh!" Jessica said.

"How do you figure?" I asked her.

"Quit wasting time, we're going to get caught! Just climb the ladder and hang the poster. By the time we stop arguing, you could have already had it hung up," Sarah said.

Without another hesitation, I climbed up the ladder and tied one end of the poster into some kind of window balcony that really isn't a balcony, it just sort of looks like it could be. After I climbed back down, we moved the ladder I repeated the process. Finally, I took a look at the poster and almost died laughing.

It read Prison For Sale with Santa Barbara High School's phone number underneath it.

We hung up signs all over the school, each as funny as the last.

Your Mom Called You Left Your Game at Home

Pucker up and kiss your winning streak goodbye.

Learn to take the heat cuz you're about to get beat

We finally finished and got out of there. It was one of the best memories ever. The next day, those signs blew up over social media. The kids at Santa Barbara High were so mad. When people at our high school found out, it was all they could talk about. No one knew who did it. No one, except us.

"Kevin!" I snap out of my daydream to see Jessica looking at me funny.

"Sorry..." I quickly spit out.

"There you go apologizing again," she quips.

"I was just remembering the time we hung up those posters at Santa Barbara High," I tell her.

"Oh, good times! Those girls were pissed when we played them later that night. Too bad we ended up losing," Jessica sighs.

"But you beat them next year in the conference finals," I point out.

"Yeah, because one of their star players Lashun Valler graduated. They still had Sally Ban, but without both of them, it was easier to isolate Sally," she explains.

"But still, they wouldn't have won without you, you played one hell of a game," I tell her. "I mean come on, how many high school players can get a triple-double? On top of scoring the most points on the team. I remember watching you like it was yesterday!"

She was spectacular. But she's right, that Sally Ban was one hell of a player too. They went back and forth for most of the game. Jessica would cross over and drive it to the basket, then Sally would come back and answer at the other end. It was a battle of point guards. However, it was Jessica that came out on top with the game-winning buzzer-beater shot. I'll never forget it. She took the inbound pass with less than 10 seconds to go. Of course, Santa Barbara tried to double team her with Sally and another player. But she was able to split the double team, sprint down the court with Sally on her tail, and at the last second pull up for a jump shot at the free throw line. It was nothing but net. The crowd went wild and rushed to the floor, but Jessica went over to Sally, hugged her and whispered something in her ear.

"What did you say to her after you won?" I ask her.

"I just told her she was the best player I've ever faced and she made me a better player over the years," she says. "Anyways, that's all in the past. Let's focus on the present. Are you excited to go out tonight and experience the college life first hand?!"

"I guess so..."

"You say that like it's a chore or something awful. How are you not excited?" she asks me.

"I don't know, I guess you're right. We're finally free of adult supervision. Might as well do some naughty things."

"Now you sound like a child, but exactly."

"So how are we going to get alcohol anyways?" I ask.

"I secured a fake I.D.," she tells me. "A friend at my support groups looks a lot like me and just happens to be over the age of 21 gave me her I.D."

"Oh nice, lucky!"

"Right!? After I finish unpacking I'll go pick some up. Do you want to split a fifth of vodka?" she asks me.

"Sure, I guess. I've never really drank before." I tell her.

"Like that's not obvious," She laughs.

"Hey! It's not like I was ever invited to any of the parties that your "friends" threw," I reply.

"That's not true! I tried to get you to come to tons of parties, but you were always "busy." And for the record, none of those kids are my friends now," she retorts.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to bring that up."

"It's okay, I think I'm going to run to the store and see if this fake I.D. works," she mutters as she grabs her handbag and keys.

"Okay." With that, she left. God, why did I have to throw that in her face, like she needed to be reminded of how all the people that said they were her friends, were quick to throw her to the waist side when they found out her secret.

It's all that douchebag Scott's fault. He couldn't have just left her alone. He had to go and tell everyone about her secret. I remember that day all too well. I don't understand why she started dating him, to begin with. He is one of the biggest assholes in school. The star basketball player and team captain. Basketball was the only thing they had in common. When I heard they started dating... I just never thought she would go after a douche like him.

It was after they lost against Santa Barbara for the conference title our Junior year. She came over Sunday night and told me she started dating that loser. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out why. They were serious for over a year. It was after Jessica led the team to claim the State Championship where he showed his true colors. I don't know the exact truth of what happened, just rumors. They were at a party and I guess Scott took her up to one of the bedrooms. Apparently, he rushed out of the room and left Jessica in tears. Then Monday at school a vicious rumor spread through the school that Jessica was transgender, of course, they used different, more offensive names.

Jessica got kicked off the soccer team, she lost all her sports scholarships, the school lost their State Title for girls basketball and she was outcasted and hated because of it. The sad part was that I never knew. She was devastated and she became depressed. However, things seemed to have worked out in the end. If that never happened, neither of us would be going to Gennecho University or we wouldn't be roommates.

Of course, the only reason we are roommates is because she's still technically known as a male by the state, so therefore the University won't let her room with girls. It was either room by herself or guys. Her parents didn't want her by herself, but they also didn't want her rooming with guys. They almost convinced her not to go. Luckily I was there for her when everything fell apart. I told them that I would be her roommate and after all, we've been through they were more than happy with that arrangement. We both applied last minute to GU and got accepted. They let us have a two-person dorm and here we are.

Chapter 2

The rest of the day goes by without much excitement. Jessica was able to get booze without too much trouble. After she got back, we went down and checked out the food court. They had quite the selection of food. It was very impressive. After we finished pigging out, we walked around campus for a bit. We got invited to a couple of house parties. We eventually grabbed dinner and made our way back to the dorm rooms.

It was the perfect day. It felt like just a normal day with Jessica. Like how it used to be before she became really popular in high school. We would just sit and talk for hours, or go on hikes. She would often sneak into my room and we would discuss everything under the sun. She once even opened up about the death of her older sister, Sarah. The discussions we had were deep and I felt like we just shared this connection. Things changed shortly after she became the star basketball player. Then she started dating Scott and everything sort of went downhill from there. She rarely ever came over and we became distant.

Well, today wasn't like that. Today was the first day in a long time where we just chilled like we used to. After what happened the week after she was outed as transgender, I didn't really get to see much of her. Even though we both got accepted to the university and they finally agreed to let us become roommates, Jessica went away for most of the summer. We texted, but it's not the same as being able to talk in person.