Music Man Pt. 02

Story Info
The storm hits. Ups and Downs? Mainly down.
14.9k words
4.81
11k
12

Part 2 of the 8 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 12/18/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter Eleven

The band spent four days making sure all was prepared and doing some practising, during which Annette played bass for a few pieces between her other duties, and promised to learn the other pieces when she had time.

The tour began well. A development they had not expected was that Leo had negotiated with the BBC to do a documentary on the world tour. They would join the band from time to time in various parts of the world. The filming and background sound track were recorded on the trip, with a few interviews if there was time, and the commentary and other interviews were to be inserted later.

The tour had its usual crop of problems – equipment which did not turn up, computerised lighting which took much coaxing to work at all, microphones that gave up half way through a performance. Annette took it all in her stride, and that delighted Ged.

The three original members of the band behaved much as they always did, bedding young women after the gigs, getting into trouble with irate boyfriends, arguing with each other, messing up hotel rooms and partying all night. Jon and Ged were relieved that the girls were all legal, but Ged did not join the rest of the band, and instead spent his evenings with Annette. They would inspect the equipment together, and then they would repair to a quiet bar and chat over a few drinks. Occasionally Jon and his wife joined them.

The effect on the press and the fans was predictable. The fans found Ged, the silent member of the band, intriguing, and he was pursued relentlessly by lust-driven girls and a few gay men, but he was aloof, which rather fuelled their enthusiasm for him than diminished it, especially after Joshua invited him to join him for singing some duets, knowing what a draw Ged was.

It is a well known fact that bass players and keyboard players are the most invisible members of any band, and Ged's reticence when it came to the press meant that he tended to escape their notice most of the time, in contrast to the fans' preoccupations. Annette also kept herself to herself, in any case she was usually too busy. Even the BBC crew largely failed to concentrate on the pair since the antics of the other three kept them busy, and Joshua and Amos were more than willing to talk about their music,and their excesses in the various bars and hotel bedrooms.

Ged emailed Cassie when he could, usually late at night after a long day. On Skype or the phone he chatted about the places they visited, the band and what they got up to, how successful or otherwise their gigs were – and some were pretty sparsely attended. She told him about her days, and how Cheryl's baby was getting on. She had tales about some of the more eccentric writers who were submitting novels.

As the tour progressed, Ged and Annette grew closer as friends. They were both 'spoken for' and would exchange news of their partners and talk of how they missed them.

Perforce they worked with each other repairing amplifiers, microphones and the other equipment, and when not upgrading the computer programmes for the sound and light presentations, were devising new ones for the future. They took to spending time in Ged's room where he had his laptop and portable keyboards.

It was towards the end of the Scandinavian tour, in Stockholm, that Ged noticed that Cassie was not emailing as often, and seemed distracted when they spoke together. When he saw her on Skype she looked worried but tried to hide it and told him it was because she missed him and somehow seeing him made it worse.

On him pushing her further, she told him of media reports which spoke of his romance with his Road Manager. He thought he had put her mind to rest but she did not look convinced on Skype. He even introduced Annette to her, who assured her that she was 'spoken for' as was Ged, and that they were simply good friends working together.

Towards the end of the Eastern European part of tour, near the end of November, Ged suddenly found he could not reach Cassie by Skype or on the phone. On Skype she was 'away' and the phone number he dialled was 'not recognised'. Then he received an email that frightened him. It was sarcastic and aggressive and he was at a loss to understand it.

You may be surprised to know that what you've been up to on your tour has made the papers. I told you that you and Annette had been mentioned, I can see why you told me not to believe what I read, and why you got her to back you up – it gave you the chance to cheat with her. I only have your word that she has a partner at home, and if she has, which i doubt, it seems it hasn't stopped the pair of you. I know what you've been doing, and that what the press have been writing was in this case true.

I hope you're happy with your new girlfriend, who I assume has an open relationship with her man or is cheating on him as you are on me. He probably doesn't exist. We talked enough about this for you to know how much this has hurt me, after all you said.

Since you've betrayed us, I consider myself free to date other people from now on. I knew this would happen, and that you would get corrupted. I could understand you getting together with her, but the other girls? Threesomes? You can forget our engagement, or any future for us.

By the way, don't try to tell me that the press have things wrong. I have very compelling evidence from other sources – some of it photographic – that backs up what they are saying. It is conclusive, so there's no point in trying to wriggle out of it.

You told me to talk to you before acting. Consider this the talk, in any case there is nothing you could say to change my mind.

I've already changed my phone number, and blocked you from Skype and I will not be writing to you again. Do not try to contact me, I will not read what you write, and I will not reply.

Cassie.

He looked at the email for a long time. It made no sense. There was no photographic evidence of anything. There were no girls, though perhaps his friendship with Annette could be misinterpreted. Surely Cassie knew Ged was infatuated with Cassie and no one else? Had she found someone else and was using this to finish with him? Would she be so devious? Then he panicked, and talked to Annette.

"Ged, you have to tell her about me. It was good of you to keep it quiet, but not important enough to destroy your relationship."

So he wrote a reply he hoped she would read.

Dearest Cassie,

I don't understand your email. I have not been unfaithful. There have been no girls, no matter what the press or your 'other sources' might be saying.

The Road Manager, Annette, and I work together on the equipment. Precisely because we don't want to get involved with the behaviour of the rest of the band, we spend a lot of time together and she has become a good friend. She has a partner at home just like I have in you, we often talk about you and about her partner. In any case, her partner is another woman: Annette gave me permission to tell you she is a lesbian, so your 'evidence' is untrue.

So please believe me, I have done nothing that I would not do if you were here with us.

I don't know about this 'other evidence' but it is false – a lie.

If you are trying to salve your conscience because of something you have done perhaps you had better confess it now. If you want to end it with me because you have found someone else, then have the courage and guts to tell me to my face.

If you think that your email constitutes us 'talking' you need to think again. We were to talk WITH each other, not you talking TO me one way only.

I love you more than my own life. Don't do this. You promised to wait until I got back. Where is your promise now?

All my love is for you and no one else.

Ged.

There was no reply to that email, and she did not write again. Ged wrote a few more times asking her to explain, but there was no reply. He tried to phone a number of times but got the number unobtainable signal. She had indeed changed her number or her mobile.

He emailed Vivienne, telling her what happened and asked her to talk to Cassie. Two days later she replied saying that Cassie would not listen to any of Ged's 'cronies' and their lies. Viv was sorry but there was nothing more she could do.

It had a severe effect on him. He lost all interest in writing. Annette listened as he rambled on about Cassie and what had happened to them, bewailing the fact he'd ever come on the tour. He remained morose for much of the rest of the tour when he was not busy or on stage.

Christmas was spent in the sunshine and heat of Durban in South Africa, and his spirits were lifted by the arrival of Annette's partner Susan. She was a lively character and they spent a lot of time at the coast, swimming and lazing in the sun. It was Susan who suggested he phone one of Cassie's friends and find out what had happened.

He decided to email Cheryl and Brian. He had tried to phone Cheryl but like the other calls it went unanswered. He hoped he might get through that way.

Dear Cheryl and Brian

I'm at a loss to know what to do, tied down as I am on this damned tour. I wish now I'd never agreed to go.

I don't know what's happened to Cassie. I know I've done nothing wrong, and I don't know where she's got the idea I have. She says she has proof, but she can't have because there isn't any evidence: nothing has happened.

I have a platonic friendship with the (female) road manager which I could understand the press misinterpreting. Please remind Cassie that Annette is a lesbian and her partner Susan came and spent Christmas with her. The three of us celebrated the feast together, though I don't feel in the least like celebrating anything. Perhaps that is the 'threesome' she mentioned?

Can you tell me what this evidence is that she is supposed to have? She promised to talk WITH me. She hasn't. This is what I was afraid of, that she'd go off without giving me a chance.

Is she well? She won't write to me or explain and she seems to have changed her phone number. Please help, I'm frantic with worry.

Love, Ged.

A hour later the reply came and it destroyed Ged.

Ged

You don't need to lie any more, because we've all seen the evidence. There are photographs. One of you with two women, another of you with what looks like a teenage groupie. You really are despicable. How could you do that to such a lovely girl?

Lesbian? Don't make me laugh! The noises you were making according to the witnesses show she was no lesbian. Bi, perhaps. I notice you say nothing about the other women you had, who were seen leaving your room in disarray.

Leave her alone. She's found someone else and they are an item. Your engagement is off.

I would never have believed that of you. She was devastated when she found what you've been doing. You tore her heart out.

Do not try to contact us again.

Cheryl.

Ged was like a zombie for the next month. He switched off his phone, and communicated only briefly with Gus by email. Gus had to arrange a time to switch his phone on when he needed to talk.

The only time Ged came to life was when they were playing at a gig. He realised he was wearing Annette out with his constant harping on about Cassie, so he stopped talking about her, but his depression was all too obvious to her.

Annette was concerned about him. All the spark and energy had drained from him, he was half the man he had been. She had to force him to eat, and he lost a lot of weight.

So the tour went on. He continued to hold out some hope, sending intermittent emails to Cassie until they too began to bounce.

Gus wrote that she was still living in 'their' flat, and seemed to be settled. He didn't see her boyfriend and so did not comment. He did try to talk to her but she shut the door in his face, shouting that she did not want to hear the lies of this friends.

It was the end of June when the email came that finished his hopes of a reconciliation. Gus wrote that he had seen in one of the gossip magazines that Cassie was engaged to Zak. It depressed him further, but not as badly as her first email finishing with him. He finally was able to put some distance between him and his feelings for her. He knew she would be sleeping with her new fiancé, and assumed she would have moved out of his flat.

Then a suspicion began to arise as the news sank in. He looked with new eyes at Amos. Amos had never liked him, and hardly spoke a civil word to him. He was good mates with Zak. Ged bided his time, and watched Amos carefully, though there was no evidence that Amos had any interest in him. However, Ged reasoned, the damage had been done, and if Amos had done anything, it would have been over already.

They were into August at the end of the tour, having reached the USA, when finally there came the news from Gus. Cassie had married Zak in a big wedding down south. At that, Ged did three things.

Mentally he cut off from Cassie. She was now in the past, and he had to move on. He had none of the joie de vivre that he had had previously. He was serious but seemed less depressed.

The second thing was that he began to write songs again. He poured out his feelings of betrayal and desolation and the songs were powerful and heart-wrenching. He called the most wretched one 'Connie', and it was with this name that it hit the airwaves in the USA where they were ending their tour, and in Britain. It was sung by his favourite female singer, Catherine Styles, who he knew would do it justice. It hit the charts and climbed to the top. He hardly noticed.

The third thing was that he was trying to find an opportunity to get his hands on Amos's laptop before they all flew home. He determined to find out if Amos had sent any 'evidence' to Zak. His opportunity came when Amos, Peter and Joshua went on a two day binge in Las Vegas. Annette decided to help him; she was incensed at Cassie's treatment of him and the consequent destruction of his personality.

It took very little time to find Amos's email history and their attachments, and Jon and Jessica, who were as appalled as Annette, downloaded the emails and attachments onto a memory stick for him.

They returned to Ged's room and viewed the files. Everything became clear. Ged asked them all not to take any action, as he would sort things out in his own time.

There were a number of emails from Amos to gossip magazines negotiating for payment. Then the sending of some photos. One of Ged and Annette sitting close together at a table, heads together; another of Annette coming out of Ged's room and kissing him good night. It was a brief kiss but frozen as it was in time, could have lasted an hour. Then one of them arm in arm walking along a street, she had her head turned towards him and was laughing. There was even one of them with Jessica at a bar, as they waited for Jon to join them.

The emails which accompanied the photos were jocular and referred to Ged 'getting his end away' with Annette, and 'being lovey-dovey' with her.

Then emails to Zak. The first were copies of the others. Then more seriously some others. One with photos of Ged leading a young blonde girl into his room. It was taken with a telephoto lens, and Ged had his arm round her. They remembered it. The girl had trapped her finger in the primitive lift door, and out of shot was Annette, who followed them into the room. The next one showed a blonde girl, her clothes disarranged and carrying her knickers, coming out of what seemed to be the same room. Except that the number on the door, partially obscured, was a floor higher – 324, instead of 224. It was Amos's room. The way she 'accidentally' displayed the underwear showed it to be set up.

There were a number of emails telling that Ged 'Mr goody-goody' was not quite a 'goody' as he would like to make out. Stories of him having more than one girl at a time, though there were no photos of that, unsurprisingly. The girl coming out of the room had been 'well seen to by our 'super-stud Ged,' (and indeed she had been – by Amos).

Then there were the emails back and forth crowing about how they had destroyed Ged's relationship with Cassie. There were telling emails showing that Zak had told Amos that Ged had stolen Cassie from him, and now between them Zak had stolen her back.

"The bastard," Annette exploded. "He set you up!"

"Yep!" said Ged. "Too late now. She's married to Zak. I'm out of it."

"But she needs to know!" muttered Annette. "She's been had."

"No point," he replied. "It'll only upset her. Let her be. She's probably happy with Zak. He's had plenty of experience, and I think she never really got over him, so at least their sex life will be fine."

Annette sighed. "You're too good. You should fight for her."

"And get second best after he's had her? I don't think so."

Ged was adamant. "Jon, Annette, please don't do anything about this. It's my problem. You've already been of immense help."

Annette shrugged and said no more. Jon patted him on the back, and Jessica kissed his cheek. It was good to have trustworthy friends.

––

Chapter Twelve

Ged had a number of emails from friends of his that Cassie did not know, telling him about the wedding and commiserating with him over his loss of the girl he loved. Had loved, he thought. A number of them asked when the tour would end and how soon he would return. It gave him an idea.

He contacted Catherine Styles In 'Frisco and asked her if she fancied going over some songs and perhaps making an album containing some of his songs which she would sing. She invited him to come stay with her at her place, and he gratefully accepted.

Ged then emailed Leo. He outlined what he had found out about Amos and Zak, and what they had done to him, and said that as a result he could no longer work with the band. Leo emailed for permission to phone him and once connected, begged him to reconsider, but Ged asked him if someone lied to split Leo up from his wife, would he want to work with that person? Leo saw the point and reluctantly agreed. He also agreed to say nothing to Amos about the matter.

After that call, Ged left his phone switched on, a symbol of a new start.

Annette's contract ran out as soon as they touched down in Manchester, and she would not be renewing. She was still livid about what they had done to Ged and did not want to be anywhere near them ever again.

So after the last gig, Ged booked a flight from Los Angeles to San Francisco, while the others left on the flight back home; he felt no urgency about returning to Britain. Annette promised to take care of his equipment until he should return.

He now had all the money he could possibly want, and the stream of royalties kept flowing, but he had lost the only woman he had ever truly loved, and everything seemed unimportant beside that fact. He knew he had to move on, but the tie to Cassie was strong and he knew it would take time before he was truly free of her.

He took a taxi from the airport and arrived mid afternoon at the huge mansion in which Catherine dwelt. As he drew up at the front door it opened and she emerged.

Now Ged had often emailed Catherine, and they had spoken on the phone. He had seen photos of her in concert, but nothing prepared him for the dark haired beauty standing on the steps awaiting him.

She was slim with fairly small breasts the outline of her nipples standing clear through the plain tee shirt. Her short skirt revealed calves and thighs in perfect proportion. Her face was pretty and everything about her was neat.

Like any male, he was immediately attracted to her, and she smiled broadly at him as he climbed out of the cab and paid the driver. It flashed through his mind that Cassie was much more his type, but the thought was quickly lost.

"My, oh my!" she laughed. "Aren't you the handsome one! Hi, Ged. Welcome!"