Music Man Pt. 04

Story Info
Cassie answers Ged's query, then much misunderstanding.
14.6k words
4.64
10.7k
7

Part 4 of the 8 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 12/18/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter Twenty Two

Cassie was interviewed by the police concerning Zak's activities in Ged's flat. At first they seemed to be implying that it was she who had moved the money, since it went into an account in her name, but Graham intervened asking if she was to be charged. No.

She told them that she had gone to the bank to find out who originated the account, and was shown the application form. She produced a copy of it, and there plain to see was Zak's signature 'on her behalf', going on to show how he had used the money to deceive her. She made a statement and then left with Graham.

It was an uncomfortable experience, and afterwards Cassie decided she needed to go home to see her parents. She wanted to explain that she was divorcing Zak, an obligation to them that she was dreading, but knew she had to go through with it. She booked her train ticket on line as soon as she returned to Brian and Cheryl's house; she would travel on Friday afternoon and return on Sunday evening. Then she emailed her parents and Marie to let them know.

On Monday evening she went flat hunting without success.

When Cheryl and Brian arrived late on Monday, Cassie was already in bed asleep. The week went by, and she worked extra time on Thursday to allow for the journey south the next day.

Her parents were delighted to see her.

"No Zak?" asked her mother, looking behind Cassie.

"I've left him," she said.

Her mother looked aghast. "Left him? You're only just married darling. Surely you can make up?"

"Let me sit down and I'll tell you all about it. Get Dad as well, you both need to hear this."

She told them the whole story. Her father became angry, and her mother upset.

"I'm so sorry," Cassie said as the tears came. "You told me Zak was not right for me, but Zak was intent on it and I've no idea why I just went along with it. I cost you so much and all for nothing."

"It's not that," said her father. "You've mucked up your relationship with Ged. Now there is a man. Even if he is a musician, he seems to have done all right."

She nodded. "I know." Her tears had dried and she looked defeated. "I don't think there's any chance of us getting together. He's too hurt by what I did."

"Something's happened to us," said her father eagerly. "We got into some money trouble, and now I'm on the dole there was no way out. We got all sorts of threatening letters, and then they all stopped.

"When we looked at the accounts they were all clear – all the credit cards, and get this, Cassie, the mortgage is practically paid off, there are a few pence I have to go and pay to get the deeds to the house.

"The thing is, there's no indication where the money has come from. I'm worried, Cassie, that there's been an dreadful error at the bank and they'll claw it all back again. They say there isn't, but I think there is."

"There's no error, Dad," she said with a half smile. "Ged's paid it off. All of it."

There was a joint gasp of disbelief from both parents.

"So he does love you after all!" exclaimed her mother. "I'm sure you will get back together."

"No Mum," she replied, her hopelessness showing. "He told me he did it for you and Dad, he made it very clear it was not for me."

"But how did he know – we didn't tell you?" Her father was becoming edgy.

"Marie. She told him."

There was trouble at that. Marie was called down, and told them what she had done, and how good Ged had been to her.

Her farther was not pleased. "How could you go begging – and to him of all people after all that's happened? How can I repay him?"

"He won't take anything, Dad," Marie said. "He's very very well off; he told me he wouldn't even miss it. He's a millionaire."

Her father glowered. "That's not the point. We're beholden to him now."

He picked up his book and began to read, his disgust and discomfort showing. The subject was changed.

"Cassie," said her mother, "I can't understand why you were so mad? You went overboard. You're usually so level headed. Why?"

"I don't know, Mum," she said.

Her mother sighed.

"I feel the same way, Mum," Cassie responded to the sigh. "I feel such a fool, and I've lost Ged. If only we could go back and re-live things, but we can't."

Her mother sighed again and then perked up.

"Hey," she said. "Dollar is here for the weekend with her new husband. You should look her up."

Cassie sat up. "Dollar?" she exclaimed. "Great, I haven't seen her since my wedd..."

There was a moment's silence, and it was because of the memory. She had felt so certain of Zak that day. She had been all in white, and he looked so good as she came down the aisle of the church to him, and all the time he was deceiving her, cheating her of her true love.

"Yes," she told her mother more soberly, "I'd really like to see her, and meet her husband."

Dolores O'Shaughnessy as she had been before her wedding, was Cassie's oldest and closest friend. They had first met when they were both five years old, and had been close ever since. They had shared all their ideas and hopes and desires, as well as the less reputable things they'd done. They had no secrets from each other. It was when she was a teenager that Dolores wanted to be called Dollar from then on.

So Saturday saw Cassie visiting Dollar's parents' house. The news of her impending divorce from Zak had preceded her, and Dollar was all agog to get the full story, so much so that she neglected to introduce her new husband. Prompted by Cassie, Liam was introduced to her and was then invited to be elsewhere while the women caught up on their lives.

Cassie complimented Dollar on her husband, and Dollar giggled and told her with a wink that he came up to expectations in every department. Dollar certainly looked well satisfied and content. She apologised for not inviting Cassie to the wedding, but Cassie was on her brief honeymoon with Zak when the hastily arranged wedding took place.

This brought the conversation round to Zak and the break up. Cassie told her the whole story and Dollar was appalled.

"Anyone would have thought Zak knew about your intolerance of cheating," she said, "and used it against you."

"I had finished with Zak before," Cassie said. "I think he got the idea how violently I hated cheaters then. I only wish I knew why I reacted so violently. I'd promised Ged faithfully I would talk it through with him before we even thought of going our separate ways, and when it came to it, I wouldn't even listen to his explanation. I junked his emails without reading them."

"But it must be obvious to you why?" Dollar said with surprise. "After what Doug did to you? Then after those months when you'd not let boys near you, you risked it with Ian after the prom. and he cheated on you within the week, and the way he dumped you, so cruel!"

Cassie sighed with exasperation. Dollar's words had immediately enlightened her.

"Why didn't I think of that?" she said wonderingly. "Dollar I've never connected the strength of my hatred of cheating, or lying with that. It's so obvious now you mention it. But it's years since–"

"I bet you've just shoved it away from yourself," Dollar suggested. "It was so traumatic for you so young. I remember how frightened you were. Ian just didn't care, but Doug was a real bastard."

"Heard anything about him?" asked Cassie, intrigued.

"Oh, he tried the same thing with a girl at university – you don't know her," Dollar said. "But unlike you, she called his bluff. He ended up married to her, but the marriage is not at all happy.They've got two kids under three and the pair of them are always bickering from what I've heard. I think divorce is on the cards. That'll really hurt him, paying maintenance for two kids for the next eighteen years."

"Serve him fucking right," Cassie said with some vehemence. "He deserves all he gets, though I'm sorry for his wife and kids."

"Could have been you, old girl," said Dollar. "Lucky escape, you were besotted with him – totally gone, you were. Until..."

They talked on and on, until Liam reappeared and they all went out for a drink.

She returned to Cheryl and Brian's on Sunday night, when she learned that Ged had gone back to the States. It was late, and in response to their enquiry, she told them she had a good meeting with her parents. She then excused herself and went to bed, where she lay for a while remembering the events that had first led to her present predicament.

Over the following two weeks, she looked for a flat without success, went to work, came home and babysat for Cheryl. Sometimes she went out for a drink with friends, but they quickly learned not to pry into her feelings, though it was obvious she was sad and listless.

Cheryl too forbore from inquiring, assuming that Cassie's attempts to reach Ged were over, and she would eventually overcome the feelings of bereavement she so clearly felt. Instead, she encouraged the morose young woman to look for a man to date, going with her to nightclubs while Brian babysat at home. Cassie was amazed at how much Brian trusted Cheryl, especially since she dressed to seduce so as to fit with Cassie's 'pulling' attire.

Cassie danced with a variety of men, and rejected all of them. Some were only out for a one-night stand, but there were others who Cheryl thought were good prospects. None was good enough for Cassie.

It was to no avail, and at the end of two further weeks, she sat Cassie down and asked her why she had given up dating.

"It's Ged, isn't it?" she stated to the sullen woman.

"Yes," sighed Cassie. "It's Ged. I'm not over him yet. I'm resigned now to let him go, but I don't think I'll be looking for anyone else for a long time."

"Wouldn't you try to contact him again?" Cheryl asked, ever the optimist.

"It was obvious I was getting nowhere." Cassie replied. "Until he understands why I behaved as extremely as I did, there's no chance."

"And you don't know that, do you?"

"Oh, yes," Cassie muttered. "I know now. I met a friend at home, Dollar. She reminded me. I must have been repressing the memory, but I know now, though I think when he hears why, it will make things worse."

"Tell me." said Cheryl, "and I'll tell you whether it'll put him off."

"I've never told a living soul, only Dollar knows," said Cassie, looking up at her friend for the first time in the conversation.

"Tell me."

"I don't know whether I can."

"Tell me!" Cheryl told her sternly. "Nothing will put me off you, Cassie. Nothing!"

"OK." Cassie sounded even more downcast if that were possible, but she told her story.

"Cassie those guys horribly abused your trust and dumped you years ago." Cheryl pleaded, when she finished. "It's long past. You were young! You can't keep carrying that with you.

"You don't know how Ged will see it, of course you don't. How could you? You're not seeing him now, are you? You've given up on him. If you tell him your story, it can hardly make it any worse, now can it?"

Cassie shook her head. "I don't think so," she said. "I think he really has moved on. He's gone back to the States, for goodness' sake."

"Cassie," Cheryl said urgently. "Please, if you don't try this, you will always wonder whether he would have changed towards you if he knew your background. Please go to him and tell him. Then you'll know."

Cassie gave in. "OK," she said. "I'll go and see if anyone knows where he is. The folk group might know. The Friday night gig at the pub. Happy now?"

"I will be when you've done it."

Cassie was as good as her word. She went to the pub and listened to the band, and of course Ged was not there. Afterwards she went to Vivienne and asked where he was.

"He's gone," she replied, "back to his girlfriend in the States – you know – Catherine Styles. He reckoned there wasn't much keeping him here any more. He's really down, living a sort of half-life, and you know who's the cause of that don't you?" Viv said it gently without rancour. "I wish you two would get together again and we can all get back to living a decent life!"

"Oh," Cassie looked crestfallen. "There was something he needed to know from me about – you know – the trouble. About me. I've got an answer for him."

"If I were you," said Vivienne, "and I once nearly was you – going with him, I mean – if I were you, I'd go after him. I'd turn up at his girlfriend's place and tell him whatever it is you've got to tell him. That might just wake him up to what he's missing: you, girl! You want him don't you?"

Cassie nodded.

"Well, then," she said. "Get after him!"

"Get after him?"

"Buy a plane ticket to San Francisco and go get him."

"I don't know where he's staying."

"Catherine Styles," said Vivienne patiently. "Ask his agent, he'll know."

----

Chapter Twenty Three

After phoning Catherine Ged felt much better. She had been delighted that he was returning, and promised to get some connections going with others in the industry, for on the West Coast, she explained, entertainment was an industry. She also promised to make him feel good, and he knew from experience that it was not an idle boast.

He booked his flight for the following week, and spent the intervening time sorting out his affairs, visiting his mother, seeing Gus about managing his money and any contracts for royalties that might arise, spending time with the folk group and with Karin, who was upset about his departure, especially since the trip was so open ended. He tried to keep busy until he left, but by the time the week was up he was upset and felt persecuted.

Gus was first. Ged sorted out all the business with him, and then Gus asked him very kindly why he was going back to the States, when everything could be done from home. Ged told him he needed to start over, and he couldn't get over Cassie so close to home.

"I just don't understand you, Ged," said his agent. "I've never tried to broach the subject of you and Cassie, but I'm going to do that now. You two fulfil the cliché 'made for each other', but you are trying to put her behind you. Why?"

Ged said nothing.

"Look at it this way," Gus went on. "Is Cassie the same person who first met you? I know she's changed as we all do, but essentially, is she the same person who you saw in the union that day? Are her values the same? Things have happened to her, but her character?"

He paused briefly before explaining what he meant.

"She is still honest, truthful, faithful, am I right?" he asked.

Ged started to look resentful because he felt resentful, precisely because it was true. He nodded.

Like Cassie, thought Gus, he's the same: honest and faithful.

He went on.

"If Zak had not been there, what would have happened? Would she have gone looking for another man? No, you know she wouldn't. When she fell apart, did she go looking for Zak? No, Zak crept up on her.

"Is she looking for another man now? No. Zak took her when she was broken, and dominated her. It was part of his plan. She just followed. Why? Because she was so depressed, she knew him and he was convincing. True?"

Ged felt anger at Zak this time. Ged was sure Zak had pushed and pushed her to marry him, and she had gone along with it. Now he understood the quick wedding. Again he nodded, and Gus saw the anger.

"Are you sure that your anger and resentment is really against Zak? That you resent that he inveigled his way into Cassie's life again and eventually coerced her into marrying him? That instead you're transferring it all onto Cassie, who doesn't really deserve it?"

"The problem Gus," said Ged with a resigned air, "is why she reacted so violently that she went with Zak and did not talk to me first. If I knew why she did that, I could make proper decisions, but she keeps telling me she doesn't know why. I don't know whether to believe her or not. It's just gone too far, Gus."

Gus went on doggedly. "What you're saying is that the only thing separating you is that she broke a promise and suffered the consequences. She broke it in extreme circumstances – did you envisage the evil intent and the depth of deception engineered by Zak when you made her promise that? You told her to distrust the press; but this was carefully planned, there was the other manufactured evidence as well, Zak saw to that. She is a victim like you, man.

"You were her lover, and her fiancé. What does a loving fiancé do in such circumstances? Please think about it Ged."

Ged shrugged, "I've gone over this Gus, over and over. She cut me off, went with Zak and married him, and she tells me she doesn't know why. I've nothing left for her. I'm sorry about it, but I can't get over it."

His folk group would not let it be either. They were also desperate for him to stay.

It was Vivienne who let rip at him. It surprised him. She had always been dead straight with him, and he could see she was really worked up.

"You know Ged," she said angrily, "You were always such a good friend to have, you always saw both sides of any situation. You had empathy – hell, you couldn't have written the stuff you have if you couldn't put yourself in other people's shoes.

"Where's it gone, Ged? You're totally self-obsessed now. Can't you get into her shoes and see things the way she sees them? Can't you feel how she feels? God, Ged, you've written songs from a woman's point of view, you should be able to do that!

"She's been treated cruelly by that bastard, and she's hurting and still confused over what's happened. And where are you when she needs you? Wrapped up in yourself. Perhaps if this is the new you, she's better off without you."

"Wow, Viv," said Ged with a rueful smile. "I didn't think you knew her so well that you feel so strongly. Perhaps you're right. She's better off without me."

Viv looked startled. She had not expected him to give in and agree. Not like that.

By then Ben was saying his piece.

"I can't see the problem. You didn't cheat on her. She didn't cheat on you. It was Zak, wasn't it? You and Cassie were both hurt. Who was the author of all the hurt – you? Cassie? No, it was Zak. So why are you taking it out on her? Why did she take it out on you?"

"That's exactly it, Ben," Ged said with all the patience he could muster. "I don't know why she reacted so violently, went to such lengths – I mean, marrying him! She says she doesn't know why, but I can't see that. She knows, she's just not telling."

"So," said Ben, "You don't believe her."

"I suppose that's it," replied Ged. "I'm going to the States for a while. I'll be back someday, and we'll keep in touch – I'll send you any stuff that suits you guys. I think we should make an album together when I come back. I just need to get over Cassie properly. I'm just marking time at the moment."

The folk group were delighted with his offer, and thanked him. He told them to think of some songs from other people they could cover.

As if all the advice wasn't enough, Ged met Amos of all people on the street, as Ged was coming away from a second meeting with Gus at which he proposed making an album with the group. Gus had promised to contact Vivienne about it.

"You and Cassie back together then?" Amos asked with some genuine concern, Ged thought.

"No, Amos," relied Ged, "and I don't think it's going to happen. Too many unanswered questions."

"Zak told me early on that he was going to make sure you never got back with Cassie," said Amos. "Question for you Ged: is Zak going to win? Are you going to let her go? Because that's what Zak wants. Even if he can't have Cassie any more, he wanted to make sure you wouldn't either.

"That's what he wants even more than he wants Cassie. He did all that lying and trickery to get back the one woman he really wanted. Now he's failed, but you are going to make him a very happy man. He did all that because he saw what he had missed; why can't you see it, Ged? Can't you see what you're missing? Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face!"