My Life in the Army

Story Info
A soldier falls in love with a girl from another country.
7.1k words
4.12
25.3k
28
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Freewheel
Freewheel
611 Followers

The following story is a work of fiction and does not depict any actual persons or events. Any likeness to actual persons or events is purely coincidental. All parties engaging in sexual activity are of legal age of 18 and consenting adults. This is for entertainment purposes and is not an avocation for the activities contained herein.This story does not contain graphic sex so look elsewhere if that is what you need. I need to seriously thank nikyc for helping with the job of editing. Please take a moment and vote if you like the story. Thanks.

I joined the Army even before I graduated from high school. My senior year my dad and I visited the Army recruiter and even though I was only seventeen (my dad had to sign paperwork giving his permission). I signed up and was given a MOS and three days after my HS graduation I was on my way to boot camp. Because I took ROTC in HS I entered the Army as an E3, that was eleven years ago. Today I am a Staff Sargent (E6) and expect to be promoted to E7 as soon as I'm eligible.

My name is Eric Brown, I stand about 5'10" and weigh 170. I've sandy color hair and have blue eyes but other than that I am just average looking. I've had girlfriends but since joining the Army I have not been in any long term relationships. Just a date here and there. For some reason the Army has always been my life and home and I thought I would be in the Army forever.

My MOS is a field medic. Firstly, I am a grunt and carry a weapon and 100lb packs just like everyone else in my platoon. However, I am also a medic and responsible for treating battlefield injuries. I can perform emergency surgery, deliver babies, perform transfusions in the field, or just put a band aid on. Because of my medical skills everyone calls me Doc. After I retire I might even use my GI bill to finish college and become a doctor. I am not sure about that because it would take more years than I'm willing to give. So I will most likely settle for being a nurse even though I have many of the skills of a doctor.

Let me explain about what I've done since being in the Army. I've served two tours in Iraq and two tours in Afghanistan and stationed stateside in between deployments. However, on my last tour of Afghanistan things happened that changed my life and put me on a fast track through the Army promotion boards.

My unit was being transported in two trucks, and I was in the first truck when the first explosion occurred. The explosion was large enough to lift the truck several feet in the air and when we came down the truck was on its side. The explosion was on the right side of the truck and several of the troops were killed outright with several injured. I was sitting on the left side and my legs were riddled with shrapnel but I was awake and alert.

The second truck was also hit with an explosion, even more severe than the first one. Everyone in the truck was either killed or seriously injured. None showed signs of life.

We then came under heavy enemy fire. We weren't returning fire because everyone was either too injured or killed. I was one of the few that was even conscious. I looked in the direction the gunfire was coming from and realized they were rushing our trucks. I set my M4 to auto and squeezed off an entire magazine. I was surrounded by weapons so I just reached over and grabbed another rifle and emptied the magazine in two seconds. Someone then handed me another rifle and I emptied it as well. I repeated firing going through several magazines in less than a minute. I had broken the onslaught of the Taliban and they began retreating finding shelter from my heavy fire.

I realized I was the only soldier capable of firing a weapon. I was also the medic and had to treat the wounded. I was afraid the truck was going to catch fire and realized I had to evacuate those still alive. By this time the enemy combatants were returning the fire on the trucks.

I located our radioman and tried to get his radio to work to call for help. I knew how to work it but the radio was damaged by the shrapnel. We all carried emergency radios that would reach out to nearby aircraft so I immediately started calling for help, but apparently there were no aircraft close enough to receive my signal.

I started moving the injured to a nearby ditch that would provide shelter from enemy fire and also if the trucks were set ablaze. My legs were damaged and I was losing copious amounts of blood but I managed to drag all the injured from my truck to the ditch. The enemy fire continued and I caught a bullet in my left arm. I am right handed so I carried on with what I was doing ignoring the wound. Every now and then I would fire a couple of magazines to let the enemy know we were still capable of returning fire. I left the dead in the truck as I just couldn't abandon the wounded to move the dead.

I treated the wounded as best as I could under the conditions. Everyone that was badly wounded but conscious got morphine. I decided I couldn't do what I needed to do if I self-treated myself with morphine so I just dealt with the pain. Besides, others were more seriously wounded than I was and needed the morphine more.

I continued calling for help on my emergency transmitter. Finally, I got a very weak signal from an aircraft and got the word out about what had occurred and that we badly needed help. Assistance was on the way, but would they arrive in time?

The second truck was about twenty yards behind my truck and I was finally able to reach it and remove the wounded and treat them. I had long ago exhausted my supply of bandages and pain killers. There was little I could do other than stay positive, make the wounded as comfortable as possible, and tell them help was on the way.

I gathered several rifles, including a light machine gun, and took up a defensive position not far from the wounded. I could tell the enemy was preparing to rush our position again. I got back on the radio and requested immediate air support and also included that my position was about to be overrun. (When overrun is mentioned that gets everyone's attention and becomes the number priority for help). By now word had gotten out and aircraft from all over the region were homing in on my position.

I had a couple of fast movers overhead within seconds but both said they were bingo on munitions. Their presence alone must have scared the shit out of the regrouping Taliban.

The enemy, sensing a massacre with time running out, rushed again. I emptied every weapon I had and still the enemy came on. I was busy reloading when a fleet of Apache helicopter gunships arrived and laid down a heavy barrage of machine gun fire. Bodies were everywhere. Following the gunships were two more Apaches with troops and medics on board. They immediately established a defensive perimeter and began treating the wounded while awaiting reinforcements.

Heavy reinforcements came by way of two Chinook helicopters. Once they arrived the enemy just vanished and all shooting stopped.

The Chinooks took off but stayed in the area so they could evacuate the wounded. I was still assisting the medics when I passed out from loss of blood. My situation was considered critical so I, along with the other most critically wounded soldiers, was placed in one of the Apaches and was immediately transported to the nearest military hospital. My wounds weren't themselves considered critical but I had lost so much blood that my life was in serious jeopardy. When your body loses a certain amount of blood your organs start shutting down and that was what was happening to me.

The onboard medic was the same blood type as myself and he immediately set up a direct transfusion from himself to me. He had no way of measuring how much blood he was giving me and he came close to passing out as well, however, he did save my life. The machine gunner, who was aware of what was going on, removed the needles from our arms and stopped the transfusion. I was still passed out and unaware of anything.

When we arrived at the hospital I was patched up and given blood. Soon the Chinooks were bringing in the other wounded.

When I woke up I was being transferred to the big military hospital at Landstulh near Ramstein Air Force Base in Germany. I was kept sedated so I wasn't aware of much.

I was hospitalized for two weeks then allowed to go home for R & R, rest and recovery. I was at home for six weeks before being deemed fit for duty. I was to be given a cushy assignment to regain my fitness and stamina. The cushy assignment turned out to be garrison duty at a small outpost in Germany, not far from the Czech Republic border.

The duty was easy and we got a three-day weekend almost every week. I thought life was good. We had something called Commander's Call every month. This is like a mandatory briefing for everyone in our company, usually held at the base theater. Imagine my surprise the third month after my arrival when the Colonel called me to the stage then began reading a summary of the action that took place that day in Afghanistan.

I hadn't actually realized the enormity of the actions that took place. Part of the award read: Sgt. Brown, while badly wounded himself and while receiving deadly fire from the enemy, removed the injured from both trucks, treated their injuries while keeping the enemy pinned down by firing his own weapon. He is to be honored for saving the lives of twenty-three soldiers while at the same killing at least thirty-two of the enemy combatants.

Since I had been wounded I knew I was getting a purple heart but was totally unaware of any other medal. I received the Silver Star with valor and I was totally surprised. I also received a letter from the President thanking me for my action which resulted in saving the lives of twenty-three of my comrades. Apparently I had been put in for the Medal of Honor but because of some administrative glitch I was denied the medal and received another award. I was treated like a hero although all I could think about was the number of soldiers that were killed that day. Many I couldn't treat as I had run out of medical supplies as well as morphine for the pain.

I soon discovered I was now on the fast track for promotion as all the awards I received resulted in extra promotion points. I was promoted to Staff Sargent (E6) as soon as I became eligible.

My tour in Germany was to be for three years and I usually had to search for things to do. I was able, however, to stay proficient in my medical field and even take a few college courses.

Europe is beautiful, especially Germany and the countries surrounding it. I was still having numerous three day weekends so I started traveling and sightseeing. One weekend, in the spring, a couple of buddies and myself went to Prague in the Czech Republic. It was only a two-hour drive from where we were stationed.

Prague is a beautiful city and the people are extremely friendly. Everything was much cheaper than in Germany. A pint of beer was only 45 cents, less than bottled water.

My friends wanted to get a massage and since I wanted to be a part of the crowd I agreed to one as well. When we arrived there was only two girls working but there were three of us men. So a third girl was called for myself.

Do you believe in love at first sight? Anna was simply beautiful. She stood about 5'6" tall with dirty blond hair. She had blue eyes and was wearing braces. Too cute. After talking to her she admitted that she was twenty-two and had just graduated from the university with a major in psychology. She was only working part time to earn a little money before returning home.

We both undressed and got into a large bath and washed each other. Then she took me to a round bed for the massage. I asked what was going to happen and she simply said I will massage you for forty-five minutes and then give you a hand job with the remaining time. I said can we skip the massage part and just talk?

Anna was very easy to talk to and we discovered we had many things in common. Her English was very good as it was taught from an early age in schools and continued until the student graduated from high school.

I asked her why she was working at the massage center and she said the money was very good and she only needed a job for a few weeks before returning home. I asked where home was and needless to say in Czech the name meant nothing to me other than it was about a two-hour drive from Prague.

We ended up talking for the entire hour and I asked her if I could see her again. She replied that the girls were cautioned about seeing clients outside of working hours. I asked what her schedule was for the next weekend and I would return. She said if she wasn't working they could call her and she would come in so I told her I would be back.

The next weekend I returned on my own and even though Anna wasn't working she was called in and I saw her Friday, Saturday and Sunday. On Sunday I paid for three hours. We never got around to either a massage or a hand job and again she refused to give me her contact details. I told her I would be back the next weekend.

My luck ran out the next weekend as I had duty. The following weekend I returned to see Anna and was told she had quit and gone home. I begged and pleaded for her phone number or address but no luck. I returned to the garrison very depressed and down hearted.

I asked for leave the following week and returned to Prague. The girls at the massage center still refused to give any details about Anna. I spent the entire next day at the University of Prague but came up with no leads. I even talked to the Psychology professors but without a last name I was again out of luck. I talked to other students for leads about Anna. How many students wear braces? Or could afford braces?

I was sitting in Starbucks across the street from the University when a female student came up to me and asked if I was the person asking about Anna. I replied that I was and did she have any info she could share?

Anna had graduated, worked for four weeks, then returned home. The girl knew Anna's surname but not exactly where she came from, just that it was some distance from Prague. Unfortunately, she didn't have Anna's cellphone number or email address. I thanked her profusely and now I knew Anna's full name.

Now that I had her surname I returned to the University and talked to her professors and the admissions department. Anna's professors remembered Anna but didn't have any useful information that would help me find her. The admission's department had all that information but refused to share it with me because I was not a relative. I again felt lost.

I purchased a map of the Czech Republic and returned to the massage center. I told them that I now knew Anna's surname and asked if they would just highlight her hometown on the map. They refused. One of the girls acted like she wanted to talk but was afraid so I asked for a massage from her. Once inside the room I asked what she knew. She was hesitant to talk but when I pulled out two $100 bills she opened up. She didn't know much that I didn't already know but she did pinpoint the town Anna was from as she was from a town nearby.

My leave time was up by now so I had to return to work. We were on field exercises for the next three weeks so I had to temporarily abandon my search for Anna. I put in for two weeks of leave as soon as we returned from the field. I knew finding Anna in this strange town might take longer than a long weekend. Besides, if I was unsuccessful, I could always return early and sign back in off leave.

I was told that some of the roads in the area I was traveling were not paved. I owned a car and felt it to be inadequate for the trip ahead so I rented an SUV. I packed extra everything not knowing what I was to be faced with.

I thought I could make the trip in one day but the road conditions away from Prague were horrendous. Besides I kept getting lost so I did not arrive in the small town until the next day. I found out that outside of Prague fewer people spoke English.

I arrived in the small town to discover I had no plan on how to conduct a search for Anna. I checked into the only hotel that luckily for me was centrally located on the square. I had Anna's full name so I started asking around and soon discovered that her surname was quite common in the Czech Republic. It was as common as Smith or Brown in the States.

I persevered with my search as I had almost two weeks to find her. I got lucky on the tenth day. I was sitting drinking coffee on the square when she walked by. I was so surprised that I let her walk by and had to run to catch up with her. I stopped her and said hello and it took a moment for her to remember me as several weeks had passed since I last saw her. I asked if I could buy her a cup of coffee and chat for a few minutes. My heart was now pumping like crazy and my stomach was full of butterflies.

We returned to my table and I ordered coffee for her. I suddenly realized that I must look like a fool as I knew nothing about her; did she have a boyfriend or was she engaged? What if she didn't like me?

Anna asked how I found her and I told her it wasn't easy. I explained what I had done in my search for her. I then dropped the bombshell that if she wasn't seeing anyone I would like to see her and take her to dinner. Anna replied that while she had previous boyfriends she wasn't currently dating anyone. I then asked if she would give me the honor of taking her out to dinner that same night.

Her reply was discouraging. She then told me that she had been ashamed working at the massage center and none of her relatives, especially her parents, or friends knew she had worked there and for that reason didn't want to be seen with any of the clients that frequented that place. I explained I had only gone to see her and never once asked for a massage. She acknowledged what I had said was the truth but even though she liked me she was afraid someone would find out. I assured her that nobody would find out from me.

I told her that I was eating dinner in my hotel at seven and would like to see her. She could think about it and if she didn't show up I wouldn't bother her again. She said ok.

My cards were on the table and now the decision was Anna's.

I dressed in my best clothes and waited in the hotel lobby at 6:30. 7:00 came and went and Anna didn't show up. I waited till 8:00 and still she didn't come so I headed to the bar and got totally shitfaced.

I got up late the next morning with quite a hangover and was in no rush to leave. I wanted to see Anna one more time but I had given her my word that I would leave her alone if she didn't have dinner with me.

I returned to my unit totally feeling dejected. My attitude sucked and I began drinking heavily. I still found myself thinking of Anna.

About six months after seeing Anna I managed to get a week's leave. I had to give it one more try to see Anna again. This was to be my last trip. She had never given me one bit of hope that we could have any type of relationship so I had low expectations of even seeing her again.

This time, knowing where I was going, I made the trip in one day and in my car. I checked into the hotel and sat outside drinking coffee for the next two days. The third day I saw her walking on the other side of the street. I quickly caught her and she seemed happy to see me.

Anna apologized for not meeting me for dinner on my previous trip. She explained that her mother is an invalid and requires constant care which is usually provided by her husband. Apparently, the dad came home drunk that night and was unable to care for his wife. She added that she had tried to call the hotel but having forgotten my last name didn't know who to ask for. She delighted me by adding that she was afraid that she wouldn't see me again. I was thrilled I had not given up hope and came back one more time.

Freewheel
Freewheel
611 Followers
12