My Soul-Mate Ch. 01

Story Info
A young man falls in love with a restless ghost.
13.7k words
4.53
14.8k
41

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 07/07/2017
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This is my second erotic storyline, and one that I hope you will enjoy. This story is more story based, and less about sex. Please be patient, as there is sex involved. If you are looking for a quick wank, then this isn't a story for you. This first part is more of an introduction to the rest of the story, and as a result is kind of slow to reach the climax.

I want to take the time to thank every single person that has read my stories, the good feedback, the negative feedback and the actual fans I have gained. YOU are the reason I make these stories, and I apologise for the long and unexplained absence from making short stories. It is unforgivable and I promise more transparency in the comments.

Feedback is appreciated, as long as it is constructive and not hateful. Speaking of hateful, any hateful comments will be deleted, so make sure you keep them respectful.

All characters are 18 and over.

Preface

Never in a million years would I have thought that the woman of my dreams would be someone who was already long dead. If someone would have told me that I would fall in love with a ghost, I would have thought they were crazy. Hell, I might be crazy now. As I lay here gently caressing my soulmate's shoulder and kissing her neck, I couldn't imagine a much sweeter insanity than this.

~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter One

"Colton! The realtor is calling back!" My mother yells at me from the kitchen.

I breathe a sigh of contempt; I am currently busy reading Eclipse by Stephanie Meyer. I guess you could call me a hopeless romantic. I close the book and get out of bed, making the way to my bedroom door.

"I'll be there in just a second!" I yell back, as I crack open the door.

The landlord in question that is calling is not for my current address, but the one that I am planning on moving to. At 20 years old, I have a job and am looking to gain some sort of independence from my mother. I have finally saved up enough money to pay for the deposit on a cheap house, which I am looking for.

I open my door the rest of the way, and make my way down the hallway into the living room. My feet are barefoot against the cold hardwood floor, sending goosebumps up my body.

I make my way into the kitchen where my mother is busy stalling on the phone, asking random questions about the house.

"Mom, give me the phone!" I tell her, attempting to wrestle the phone from her hand. Despite being in the year 2016, we still have landlines in our house.

I successfully pry the phone out of my mother's hands, putting the speaker to my ear. "Hello?" I ask, motioning for my mother to give me some privacy.

"Hello, this is Katherine. Am I speaking with Colton?" Katherine asks rhetorically.

"Yes, this is Colton." I reply in a cheerful voice.

"Ok, great! So, I have called to let you know that the house is still available for lease, and the two potential buyers in front of you have canceled. I was wondering if you were still considering the house?" Katherine asks, in an equally cheerful tone.

"Yes, I am still considering it. When is the next time you have scheduled to sign the lease papers?" I ask, excited that the house is still available. I was almost certain the house would be taken by now.

"I actually have the next two hours free. Would three o'clock work?" Katherine asks.

"Three works great for me." I tell her.

"Ok, we will see you then!" Katherine replies, then tells me goodbye.

I hang up the phone, feeling more excited than I probably should be. It is just a house, after all. I grab my keys, and head out the front door to get in my car. As I start my car, I catch myself thinking about the house. I didn't like the house at first, but as I look at it more I find myself inexplicably drawn to it.

The house itself is nothing special; it is a two story house with green paint and white trim. When you open the front door, there is a bathroom and stairs to your immediate left and right, respectively. Directly in front of you, there is a long hallway that branches into a kitchen on your left, a closet under the stairs, with finally an open living room at the end of the hallway. That's about it for the first story.

Back at the staircase, there is three steps before a ninety degree turn, leading left parallel to the hallway downstairs. After about ten steps, there is another left ninety degree turn that leads to a very small hallway. There is another bathroom to your left (directly above the hallway downstairs,) a bedroom directly ahead, and two bedrooms to your right. That is about it for the entire tour. Like I said earlier, nothing special.

I pull up alongside the house, where Katherine is already waiting for me. I turn off the engine, take my keys out of the ignition and stow them in my pocket. I shield my eyes from the unforgiving sun; I forgot to bring sunglasses. I walk up the driveway and see that Katherine already has the lease papers in her hands, which are trying to free themselves in the wind.

Katherine meets me half way up the driveway, shaking my hand. We walk up the driveway, going to the front door where my eyes are finally shielded from the bright summer sun. Katherine opens the front door, and motions for me to come inside. She leads me to the living room, where there is a small bar built into the kitchen countertop. Katherine clearly looks nervous, as though she doesn't want to be here.

"So, these are all the lease papers. It's quite a stack, as you can see." Katherine tells me, thumbing them as though one would thumb through a deck of playing cards.

"I can see that." I tell her, chuckling a little.

Over the next half hour, I sign miscellaneous papers with my signatures and initials. With each paper signed, I feel a growing sense of excitement. After the half hour of signing papers, I am awarded the keys to the house. After that, I drive home and start to pack my things in boxes for the rest of the night. I gather my things, and place them into boxes with labels.

Game systems, Blu Ray and DVDs go in one box while my massive CD collection gets put into separate boxes. I have mostly rock and heavy metal, while there is some select rap CDs thrown into my collection. My mother has already packed my boxes with clothes, as I do not have much. About a solid two weeks' worth of clothing is all I have. It's not that we're poor, I just don't see the need to have one-hundred plus sets of clothing.

After my mother insists on helping me move my things into my new home, we (or rather she) decide to go to the local Wal-Mart and grab a fridge full of food. Nothing fancy, just enough that I won't starve to death as she puts it. I give her a hug goodbye before I sleep in my new home for the first time, and I wave as she pulls out of the driveway.

I know my mother too well, and she will be crying the whole way back and for the rest of the night. I know she knows I am becoming a man. That would make even the most hardened mother cry, knowing that her boy is no longer little.

Chapter Two

I wake up in the morning, with my alarm clock blaring Seize the Day by Avenged Sevenfold. I unplug my iPhone from its dock, and have half a mind to throw it across the room. I think better of it, and just dismiss the alarm instead. I sit up in bed, already stressing about the day to come. It is Saturday, which is my day off work.

I throw myself out of bed, and put on a pair of shorts. I run my fingers through my jet black hair, and yawn deeply. I didn't get much sleep last night; I was brainstorming on where my possessions would go in the house. I slip a t-shirt on, and head downstairs to make myself something for breakfast. What I see at the bottom of the stairs frightens me.

All of my boxes appear to have been ransacked, with my family pictures scattered all over the floor. All of my CD and DVD cases have been strategically placed in the living room to where they spell the word 'Help'. I pull out my phone and call the police department, telling them that I have had a break-in. Within five minutes, I hear a knock at the door. I open the door, and a bald police officer stands with a clip board.

"Are you the occupant who called about the break-in?" The police officer asks.

I nod. "I didn't touch anything. I called 911 as soon as I saw the mess in the hall and living room." I reply to the officer. I dig in my wallet and hand him my driver's license.

The police officer takes my ID and statement, writing them both down on his clipboard. He lifts up the clipboard, revealing a print dusting kit. He dips a little feather duster into a jar of black dust, and ever so gently dusts the doorknob. Revealing several prints, he lifts each one with tape and labels them.

He then sprinkles my hands with the same dust, and takes my prints to eliminate my prints from the ones recovered. After that, he proceeds to methodically go throughout the house and document, retrieve prints and take pictures of everything disturbed. After that, he checks for signs of forced entry, but finds none.

"Well, it looks like whoever did this either had a key to the house, or was already in the house when you went to bed. There is no signs of forced entry." The police officer informs me.

I feel a cold chill of fear go up my spine. Someone had broken into my house last night, and vandalized it. The only other person who I knew had a key was Katherine.

"We will test the fingerprints collected and let you know what we find. In the meantime, you should think about getting home security." The police officer tells me. "Has anything been stolen?" he asks.

I shake my head no. "That's the strange part. Everything is here, nothing was taken." I reply.

I thank the police officer for coming over, and he takes his leave. I take a deep breath, and I call Katherine. After a couple of rings, she answers.

"Hello, this is Katherine Hughes." Katherine answers.

"Hi, this is Colton. I had a pretty big scare when I woke up this morning." I reply.

"Oh no! What happened?" Katherine replies, sounding concerned.

"Well, when I woke up this morning and came downstairs, it appears as though someone broke in and ransacked the house." I tell Katherine.

"You're kidding! Did you call the police?" Katherine asks.

"Yes, I did. They came over and documented the break-in, lifted fingerprints and checked for signs of forced entry." I answer.

What did they find out?" Katherine asks.

"Other than the fingerprints and the huge mess, they didn't find anything out of the ordinary. There wasn't even any signs of forced entry." I inform her.

"Well that's... strange. How did they get in?" Katherine asks.

"That's what scares me. The police officer told me that the person who did this either had a key, or was already in the house when I went to bed." I reply to Katherine.

"That's impossible! You and I are the only two with keys, and I just changed the locks a month ago. No one else has access to the house." Katherine tells me.

"How would you feel if I were to install a home security system?" I ask Katherine.

"You can if you feel it is necessary. I won't have a problem with it, you will just have to give me the security code." Katherine replies.

"Okay, I will go ahead and do that then." I tell Katherine.

"Okay, Colton. You try and have a good rest of your day. Let me know if the situation changes" Katherine tells me sympathetically.

I hang up the phone, and sit on the bottom step. I look at the mess on the floor, and sigh in contempt. I know that I have to start making myself at home but am reluctant to begin, especially after what has happened. I force myself to get up, and start to organize and put away the mess.

Chapter Three

The rest of the day is long and stressful, with me placing my possessions in my desired locations. I put my fifty-inch HDTV in the living room on an entertainment system, and hooked my PlayStation 4 up to it as well. Throughout the day, my hair stands up on end, and I would feel as though someone is watching me. I try to shake the feeling, but it won't go away.

By the time it hit eleven o'clock, I finish unpacking my boxes. I didn't have that many boxes; I'm not a pack rat like my mom. I am starting to feel drowsy, so I decided to go to bed. I listened to Metallica for a little bit, then fell asleep.

"Colton, can you hear me?" A mysterious female voice asks.

I am almost certain that I am in a dream. "Yes, I can hear you." I reply. I open my eyes and sat up, discovering that I am in my bed. This is sure one hell of a realistic dream.

A woman in a bright white dress dress with black wavy hair sat at the foot of my bed, with her head turned away.

"Am I dreaming?" I ask, feeling stupid. Of course I am in a dream.

"Yes, you are. This dream of yours is more real than you think." The mysterious woman replies.

"Who are you?" I ask, curious to see what my subconscious could come up with.

"My name is Annabelle. Annabelle Smith. I also just read your mind just now, I am not your subconscious talking to you." Annabelle replies.

"That sounds like something my subconscious would say if I was dreaming." I counter, chuckling.

"I am not your subconscious. I am real, or rather I was at one time." Annabelle replies.

"What do you mean, 'At one time'?" I ask.

Annabelle stands up, then walks towards me. It is only then that I realize that I could see through her. Annabelle's face is beautiful, she has bright blue eyes that seem to glow in the darkness. Her lips looks lovely, as though begging to be kissed. She smiles as I think this, and sits by my side.

"I'm glad to see that you approve of me. Most people, namely other occupants would run away screaming at the sight of a ghost." Annabelle informs me.

"Ok, you've peaked my interest. If you are truly a ghost and not my subconscious, can you prove it?" I ask.

"I already have. I am the one who made that mess downstairs." Annabelle replies.

"That's not proof, that is my subconscious trying to make sense of it." I tell her.

"I will do it again to prove it to you if you would like." Annabelle replies.

"Ok, that would convince me. Just don't make a huge mess this time. There is a notepad over there on my nightstand. Write your name on it for proof." I tell her.

"Your wish is my command." Annabelle replies, smiling. She picks up a pen, and jots something down on it.

Because she could read my mind, I didn't want to think what I am about to think. Instead, I decide to say it out loud. "You are really beautiful, whether you be a figment of my imagination, or a real entity." I tell Annabelle.

"Thank you, Colton. I am afraid I must be going now. It is almost sunrise, and my power is dwindling. Remember, when you see the proof when you wake up, know that I am real." Annabelle replies. She stands up and walks to my door, disappearing through it. I notice the smell of a woman's perfume, specifically lavender when she exited the room.

I take the notepad in my hand, and study the name. She has written 'Annabelle Smith' in beautiful script letters. I smile, and set the notepad back down. I lay back down in the bed, and let the next dream overtake me. I dream of random things, and nothing else stands out for the rest of the night. Finally, I dream I am at an Avenged Sevenfold concert, until I realized it is my phone alarm.

I wake up, and turn the alarm off. I remember that Annabelle has promised proof that she is real, and check the notepad. What I saw rattled me, as 'Annabelle Smith' is written right where I remember it to be, in the same beautiful script letters that I remember it in. I turn on my computer, and load up Google Chrome. I search for Annabelle Smith, there is hundreds of thousands of results.

"Jesus, Annabelle. You could have a less common name to make it easier on me." I mutter under my breath.

I narrow it down, searching for 'Annabelle Smith, Oregon'. This time, there is a little over a dozen results. I skim each one carefully, with one particular link catching my eye. It is from the year 1920, and is archived. I click on it, and am shocked at what I discover.

The title is 'Local Girl Raped and Murdered in Grisly Attack'. Below the title is a black and white picture of the girl from my dreams. According to the report, she stayed at her home while her parents were away from home. A burglar entered the home and raped, tortured and killed Annabelle. She died in her bedroom, and her parents discovered her body when they returned home. I felt a chill go up my spine as I saw the address.

Annabelle died in my house. I suddenly remembered what Annabelle had told me before she left.

"Most people, namely other occupants would run away screaming at the sight of a ghost." Annabelle's words echoing in my head.

I type my address into the search bar, and put the word 'haunting' behind it. About six results came up, and I search each one. Every story has a similar story, the tenants or owners would move out suddenly, claiming that the place is haunted. The most recent one was two years ago, and a family moved out after just two months of living here. The TV stars Ghost Hunters even tried investigating the paranormal activity but a realtor turned them down due to the negative attention the house would attract.

My head is spinning from all of this new information, so I take a moment to process it all. My home is being haunted by a ghost named Annabelle, and she seems to be reaching out to me. She died a violent and sudden death, which probably means that her soul is trapped in between the worlds of the living and the dead. My heart ached to help her, and I felt great compassion for her. I decide that I would try to contact her again tonight, but I have no clue how to do it. All of the sudden, my hair stood on end and the feeling of someone watching me came back.

"Annabelle, are you here?" I Ask, looking around for signs.

All of the sudden, my bedroom light started flickering.

"I'm sorry that I didn't believe you. I want to talk to you again, could you visit me in my dreams again?" I ask, looking at the light.

It started to flicker again, which probably means yes. At least, that's what I hope it meant. I spend the remainder of the day playing Call of Duty and watching movies, before retiring to bed. I have trouble falling asleep; I am too excited to fall asleep right away. Eventually, sleep overpowers me and I fall into a deep slumber.

Chapter Four

"Annabelle, are you there?" I call from my dream. I can't see anything; everything around me is pitch black. I grasp in the darkness to find out where I am, when I find my lamp. It turns out, I am still in bed. I pull on the chain, and illuminate the darkness around me. Annabelle sits at the foot of my bed, her back turned to me.

"Annabelle?" I call, confused as to why she won't face me. I listen intently, and hear that she is crying softly. I get out of bed and walk over to her.

I kneel down in front of her, and look at her face, which is buried in her hands.

"Are you alright?" I ask, attempting to put my hand on her forearm. I go right through it, feeling a warm sensation where I made contact with her.

"No, I am not alright. I am so alone, Colton! I can never cross over, and I am doomed to an afterlife of loneliness and despair!" Annabelle replies, lifting her head from her hands and wiping the tears from her eyes.

"You can't cross over?" I ask.

Annabelle shakes her head no. "No. That opportunity died the moment my parents abandoned this house without me telling them goodbye. That was my only chance to move on to the afterlife." She replies.

My heart aches for her. I want to comfort her so bad, but I cannot touch her. I would give anything to be able to hold her and tell her that I wasn't going to leave her. I know it's tragic, but I found myself falling for this woman that I could never have. I am captivated by her beauty and innocence, and am deeply saddened at how her life came to such a tragic and barbaric end.