Nature or Nurture Ch. 09

Story Info
A Penny Dreadful fanfiction.
4k words
4.83
5.2k
1
0

Part 9 of the 42 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 12/07/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

That week, Victor is very busy examining the alien corpse. He receives an invitation from the gentleman, now known as Sir Malcolm, to meet him for dinner at his gentleman's club, where ladies are not allowed, no matter how brilliant they are.

'I'm sorry Adison, they're probably afraid you'd make them look foolish. Still, it's a job and it pays.' When he returns he has the commission, and an appointment to further examine the body, now stored in the basement of Sir Malcolm's town house. This time Adison does accompany him, sketchpad ready though she knows Victor will question this. And indeed he does.

'Why would you take the trouble of sketching the body, Adison, when you already know they can take photographs?'

'I'm surprised you ask, Victor, you always sketch every tiny detail of everything you uncover. You've even invested quite a sum in a filing cabinet made to your own exact requirements, so you can always find them again.'

'Yes, but I sketch because I can't afford a camera yet. As soon as we have the funds I was planning to buy one. It would save a lot of trouble, I thought.'

Adison is not so sure, 'Taking the photograph seems quite a hassle, lugging the machine around, using that stinky powder, hoping the exposure is just right to make the photograph succeed. You cannot put the body back together if the photograph fails.

And then there is the developing, you need a dark room, with chemicals, and again you run the risk you ruin the film and lose the images.'

Victor is impressed.

'You seem to have thought this through quite well, I only saw a beautiful picture with natural structures and a lot of detail.'

But Adison is not yet finished, 'And nobody knows how long the photographs will last either, they may fade in a year. I've seen drawings from centuries ago that are still vividly detailed...'

That's it, Victor concedes.

'All right Adison, I'll save our money for now and continue to draw. I need to practise anyway, to keep up with you.'

Adison enjoys his compliment, still unsure about her own skills, but then she makes her most important point.

'And that is not all, the most important reason for me to keep drawing is observation.'

A questioning look from Victor makes her laugh.

'Let me explain: to take a good photograph, you need to check the lighting, and frame the subject well. To make a good drawing, you have to really see what you are documenting, you need intense concentration and a keen eye for detail. I'm convinced that through drawing, we discover facts we would otherwise have missed.'

Letting that sink in, she adds her last motive to sketch today.

'And anyway, I want a copy of the creature to show to my Chinese teachers. They may know something more. Let the threesome concentrate on their photographs, I'm going to make drawings and try to take them home with me.'

When they arrive, they are admitted to the house by a broad shouldered, very black skinned man with curious tattoos in his face, in a butler's uniform. Adison greets him politely, then she and the doctor are taken to the saloon, where Sir Malcolm and Miss Yves are waiting.

From there, they set out for the basement, where the thick skin, an exoskeleton like that of an insect, has been removed from the body. The doctor is stunned.

'How did you manage to do that, in such a short time and so neatly?'

Miss Yves answers, proud of her own cunning idea, 'We used carrion beetles to eat it.'

Though impressed she has thought of such an unorthodox method, they do wonder if it wasn't a bit risky: suppose the beetles had eaten the hieroglyphed layer as well? Their study object would have been ruined.

Victor discusses the markings and their implications with their employers, and Adison concentrates on sketching as exactly as she can. Then he draws blood in a syringe, and still she sketches. He looks at the blood through a microscope, deducing it is clearly human, or has been once. It looks like blood of a person suffering from a contagious disease.

He invites Adison to check it out as well, which she does. But neither of them know much of blood, so Victor advises Sir Malcolm to consult a haematologist, which Sir Malcolm delegates right back to Victor, because he will understand the results best.

As the gentleman is willing to pay for both the consult and Victor's efforts, they agree that Sir Malcolm will find a specialist and arrange for a consultation. They return home, weirded out by the body, but no less by the restless, dark aura of Miss Yves, and the incredible hardness of Sir Malcolm.

'These are not people to trifle with, Victor, ' Adison says, 'I still feel quite anxious in their presence.'

And this from Adison!

Pushed by portents and premonitions, Vincent decides to limit the time until his rise to lead player to one week. He contacts Bruce, and they spend not only the usual time together in the Chinese quarter, but nearly every waking hour, rehearsing lines, staging the drama. Of course, Vincent has to play his part in the evenings, and he arranges for Bruce to come along and watch the play every night from a different angle, from a balcony, from the main hall, from behind the scenes. The stage-rats like him very much, he is interested in everything and always ready to whisper a funny observation at an appropriate time. He is introduced to the director in secret, and only Simon and his girl do not get to meet him.

Because they spend so much time together, Bruce inevitably notices that the atmosphere in the doctor's house is more subdued than usual. When at the end of their week of rehearsals the tension is still palpable, he does not hesitate to just ask what the trouble is. Vincent decides he trusts him enough to tell him about the horrific body, of the premonitions of Adison of a war coming and of his own strange flash, which is not easy since he doesn't feel ready yet to explain to Bruce that his memories of his life do not extend further than nearly one year.

Bruce is not surprised. He tells Vincent that his community has been watchful for years now, expecting this war against evil. He also seems to know Adison will have a role in it, as well as Vincent.

'Why do you think we have let you into our community so easily, and shared so much knowledge with you? We have been aware of Adison since she was born, and we have befriended her family to be able to keep an eye on her. Did you know she has a priestly name in our language, which translates best as 'well of feelings'?

If she were one of us, she'd be a high-ranking priestess already. As it is, we watch and wait until she is ready. We did not get sight of you until about a year ago, but it was clear straight away that we would do best to ally with the three of you, hand you the knowledge you need, and stand behind you, for the danger concerns us too, and only together will we be able to save everyone.

Our powers are strong and unknown to the enemy. From what you tell me I know that the time of your testing is near, and so we will start teaching Adison less medicine, and a lot more secret knowledge. How it surrounds us even though most of us don't see it, how it is involved in our lives where we least expect it. Our enemy is very fond of using blood and sex to gain power. We must all be very careful whom we sleep with, and with any blood we spill, especially our own.'

Thinking of his birth, Vincent says, 'A year ago, I lost a lot of blood, is that why you suddenly noticed me?'

'Not entirely, no. The blood was only part of it, there was some ritual involved as well, as if you only then became to us who you were meant to be.'

'And is the enemy aware of me as well through this?' is Vincent's next question.

' We think the enemy has been aware of you long before that, but he has had to change his plans for you after the sacrifice you made that night. You might say the doctor and you escaped him narrowly.'

This is all a bit much to take in, so Vincent decides he has had enough. He'll have to consider things first, hopefully he will have time to get used to this new state of affairs before things get serious. Meanwhile, they have a role to learn, and they continue their rehearsal doggedly, until they can both dream every line and every action. They are as ready as they can be, the only thing left to do, is prove it in the spotlight, tomorrow night!

This time, Adison and Victor accompany Bruce and Vincent to the theatre. There will be a row when the director confronts Simon with his deed and has him removed from the theatre, and they prefer to be present, to enable the two men to concentrate on their new role instead of their safety. As it happens, Simon takes his dismissal quietly, packing his things and leaving without a scene. But everyone knows this is not the end of it, he will try to get his own from anyone involved, Vincent mainly, but the director as well, and Bruce and even Maud, Simon's lover.

For she will have to be convinced to continue her role, only with a different hero. Everyone thinks she will have no problem doing it, for she has not been treated well in her time with Simon, but it will make her a target for his revenge, and she'll have to find a new place to live, for it is not safe for her to return to their shared apartment alone.

Because Maud has only just heard that her lover has been sacked from the play due to his efforts to get a fellow actor beaten up, possibly killed, and that she will play with his intended victim from now on, they take the time to rehearse the whole play once before the show tonight.

It will also give Bruce the chance to get familiar with the stage, for he has never performed for an audience before.

Vincent does not know what to expect from Maud.

'Do you mind having me as your partner so suddenly?'

She has always had quite a liking for him, and what Simon has done is unforgivable to her, too, so she can honestly answer, 'No, I don't mind one bit, I'd rather have you than someone I don't know, at least we've been rehearsing together and playing together already.'

'Not as intimately as we will now,' he says, 'I can imagine you might find me unnerving to look at from up close, you know, the scars on my face, my unnatural eyes.'

But here he underestimates Maud. She may not be as sophisticated and well-schooled as Adison, she is not easily scared either, and most of all, she is a professional actress. Her answer is exactly what he might have expected to hear.

'Don't worry about your looks, they don't matter to me. I will play my role tonight, and I will play it well. I always do, it is my job, and I love it. Actually, I'm looking forward to playing with you, you have always been nice to me and I think you are a very talented actor.'

As they go through the play scene by scene, she finds she is rather looking forward to her more intimate scenes with Vincent, he is such a kind and even-tempered man. When the opportunity to exchange a few words presents itself, she confides to Vincent, 'Your scarring doesn't bother me at all, my own brother has had a burn accident that left him badly scarred, I don't even see those scars anymore. I kind of like your looks, you always look slightly tragic and I think that fits incredibly well with the character and costume of the hero.'

She looks straight at him, wanting to touch his face, but holding herself back.

'Your eyes indeed have an unusual colour, seen this close. But they don't look unnatural to me, their expression is friendly. You are always friendly, not gloating or triumphant even now. I appreciate that.'

When he finally takes her in his arms in the first love-scene she feels his strength, and her body reacts to his unfamiliar smell and his hold on her with a stirring of lust. She quickly checks it, steeling herself for now, thinking she may have a chance later. They will be playing this scene for weeks on end, there is plenty of time for her to see if she has a chance against his beautiful but unremarkable girlfriend.

Remembering this when the time comes for the climax of the love-scene, she kisses him as an actor, not like a lover as she always did Simon. The audience won't notice the difference, but it wouldn't do to put him off her by being too forward too soon.

Vincent is very much relieved. He has of course noticed her attraction to him, but he wants to be a professional, so while he would not have liked her to kiss him for real, he would not have reacted if she had done it. Bruce's warning about the enemy using sex as a tool to raise power has struck a chord with him though, and he is convinced that even a kiss is not harmless.

That night, the play runs perfectly, and Bruce does very well. Vincent kills him with a relish, and the fake-blood runs freely. They end on a high note, and the whole cast feels like one big family.

They take their places before the stage for their usual meet and greet with important people from the audience.

Vincent of course gets most of the attention, his interpretation of the hero being more melancholy, less self-assured than Simon's, making the ladies feel just a little warm inside. The people he gets to meet afterwards are regular visitors, and they have enjoyed the change in actors very much. They seem to see it as a publicity stunt, to convince people to visit the play for a second, or a third time. The inclusion of a Chinese man in the cast they see in the same light, it refreshes the play and makes people want to go and see it again.

Adison and Victor also approach him in the line, the first time they have done this. Usually they wait until they walk home together to talk to him, and he soon finds out why they want to speak to him now.

First, Adison gives him a passionate hug, her dress emphasising her beauty, and her overt affection contrary to her nature. He realizes instantly that that is meant for Maud, to let her know he's still taken. Trust Adison to be subtle where possible, and blunt when it is needed.

But then Victor walks up to him with a very beautiful woman who nonetheless looks, well, wrong somehow. He knows who she is even before Victor mentions her name.

'Miss Yves, let me introduce me to the star of this show, our friend Vincent. Vincent, Miss Vanessa Yves is one of the party that has given us a challenging new subject to study.'

Miss Yves is apparently a modern woman, for she does not curtsy or hold out her hand to have it kissed. Instead she offers to shake hands like a man, which Vincent readily does. But as soon as their hands touch, he receives a shock like the one he got a few nights ago, and as then, a scene unfolds before his mind's eye.

He is lying in a hummocked field of low purple-flowered shrubs, under a wild, cloudy sky that threatens rain. The landscape is very open, without trees, houses or roads, surrounded by craggy hills that are also covered in that purple shrub. Heath, comes to mind unbidden. And he is not lying there on his stark black cloak alone, but he is being loved passionately by a beautiful, wild looking but clearly well-to-do girl, who is blond, but certainly not Adison!

'Mr Smith, are you all right?'

Miss Yves sounds concerned.

Smith is the surname that he has taken, well, to have one. Actors need to have last names after all. He's planning to take a 'real' surname somewhere in the future, when he has earned one, so to speak. But for now, Smith will have to do.

'I'm fine, thank you,' he assures her, hoping she will not touch him again in her concern, and thinking again of Bruce's remarks about sex and power. Is she trying to put a spell on him, consciously or unconsciously? He resolves to ask Bruce about it, but for now he needs to appear unshaken, so he plays the rising star with her.

'So Miss Yves, do you prefer these gruesome tales to Shakespeare, or do you appreciate them both?' They discuss the play, his sudden rise to the lead role, as well as Shakespeare, the great poets and more safe subjects, until it is time to change and go home.

The doctor and Adison meanwhile talk to Bruce and the rest of the cast.

Bruce tries to convince Maud to come with him.

'I can take you to your apartment to fetch your things, and then you can stay with my folks for a few weeks, until you find your own place. They won't mind.'

Maud knows she doesn't want to stay with her own family, possibly endangering them with Simon out there looking for revenge, but protests, 'That would put your family in danger, I couldn't possibly do that to people I don't even know!'

Bruce reasons with her calmly and with great conviction.

'Everyone in my family is well-schooled in self-defence, and our community is so close-knit that everyone knows what everyone does. The Chinese quarters will be the last place that Simon would look for you, and if he does come there, his looks will make him stand out like a beacon and I'll know of his presence in a few minutes from his arrival.

Plus, I can take you to and from the theatre everyday, since I'm going anyway.'

Now Vincent speaks up.

'Bruce is an expert in martial arts, Maud will be safer with him than with anyone else. But I wouldn't visit her place alone, Bruce, take the boys with you if they are willing and the Boss lets them.'

Maud finally agrees, and so it is arranged that the technicians will help get her stuff, and she will move to the Chinese quarter for a few weeks.

As they walk home, of course they are reminded of the attack, but with the new developments they find it hard to be afraid of another attempt on their lives. If they are not ready to meet anything a poor, cowardly actor with no job or connections can throw at them, their plans to get involved in the case of the gruesome body are sheer foolishness.

So they stay alert but they do not let their memories spoil the triumph. Like a teenage girl with her first crush, Adison walks hand in hand with Vincent, looking at him admiringly.

'So what did you think of Miss Yves?' she asks, 'isn't she gorgeous?'

Vincent has to admit she is, but she gives him the creeps more than anything. He replies, as smitten with Adison as she is with him.

'Indeed she is, but not as beautiful as you by far. And not nearly as talented.'

The doctor makes a gagging sound and moans, 'You two, get a room! Next you'll be writing bad poetry about your love everlasting!'

They kiss teasingly and Vincent tells them about the time he spent with her.

'She does know a lot about theatre and art, and she seems genuinely a nice person, interested in other people. But she gives me the creeps big time, in fact, she gave me one of those flashes, back- or forward, when she touched me.

This time, I was lying in a large field of purple coloured bushes which I knew were called heath. The hills around me were clad with it as well. I saw no roads or buildings, or trees. The sky was clouded as if a storm was coming. And I was making love to a wild and beautiful girl of good breeding, who did not look at all like you!

Do you think that it was a scene from my past? Or was she just trying to put a spell on me? Bruce told me the enemy uses a blood and sex to raise power.'

'Bruce?' Adison and Victor say almost in unison.

'What does he know about magic?'

'Apparently, quite a lot, though he doesn't use the term magic. I'll tell you all over a glass of wine. You'll need it. By the way Victor, I liked how expressive you became with a little wine in you,' Vincent continues their earlier bantering. 'I didn't remember you being so forward, or experienced. I assure you, you found places that turned me on long after I thought I was totally spent.'

Adison joins in.

'Yes Victor, how did you do that? You seemed to have an uncanny knowledge of parts of a woman that one cannot see from the outside!'

12