Nature or Nurture Ch. 31-33

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Thinking of her own speed and strength, and loss of control when Victor was threatened, she feels a need to do this for herself.

She has plenty of time, she spends whole nights reading and writing, and musing over her past, which she could spend practising, provided she knows what to do, and this little group not only includes Vincent as possible instructor, she knows Bruce is reputedly the best fighter in the city, the one who has initiated Vincent in the martial arts.

Catherine is mesmerized by the sight of her father moving faster than lightning, blade flashing. Mina realizes the girl thrives on being stimulated all the time, she may very well have been overly temperamental because living on a farm where everyone is working hard on their daily tasks was just boring to this lively girl.

Well, though Mina cannot look into the future, she is certain Catherine's life will have little chance of ever getting boring, in fact it is a miracle her first two years were so tranquil.

If the girl hadn't already been in danger from the moment of her birth, Mina would regret her being in the midst of it now, but on the other hand, their little group is well suited to keep her safe from harm.

Maybe Vincent can use his former connections as Heathcliff to help him gather intelligence on the enemy, find out what he is planning next, for it is clear that Catherine is part of his next world-domination scheme.

They really need to discuss that option, playing in St James' Theatre will make Vincent better known, and though he doesn't resemble Heathcliff very much superficially, once the connection gets out he will be very easily recognized with his stark white face and contrasting raven black hair, let alone those disconcerting yellow eyes. It will be very easy to target him, knowing exactly where he is heading each day.

Breathing heavily now, and sweating, Vincent carefully puts away his saber, and he invites Catherine and Mina to join the cooling down exercises, more Tai Chi figures. He demonstrates, and they follow his example.

The little girl is so adorable, making the moves with the chubby bonelessness of a child, managing to copy them admirably. Of course Mina has the advantages of a vampire body, and she mimics the forms easily.

When Vincent closes in on her to let her feel the correct position of her left arm, she smells him, and her body reacts with a flash of heat. Ever since she has tasted his blood, that heady source of his strength and indestructibility, the taste of it, the feeling of invincibility it gave her, she has had this feeling whenever he is very close to her.

She knows that is only natural, vampires are very passionate by their very nature, except that they usually eat and kill their lovers, and she never controlled her urges when she was a vampire, her body certainly remembers her indulging its every whim.

But she is not subject to the demands of her own body anymore, she needs to control those urges, she is very much in love with Victor. The doctor is a very reticent man, though, his lust always awakes when she bites him, or when she comes on to him, but he never jumps her or offers to make love spontaneously. Vincent is passionate, under his calm demeanour his temperament burns as forcefully as his blood burned in her mouth.

Mina quells her thoughts and feelings ruthlessly, listening to his instruction, feeling the rightness of the correct posture immediately. The exercise actually helps get her urges under control, and she decides she will take this challenge, and ask Vincent for instruction.

They finish the cooling down together, Catherine staying focussed for the full duration of the exercise, an incredible feat to a child her age. She must be a natural.

Gathering some courage, training with Vincent will tempt her body and thus test her mind to the maximum, Mina asks, 'Vincent, will you teach me sword-work? Seeing you gives me a feeling that this is the way to control the violence and the urges inside me, and I have plenty of time to practise at night.'

A bit surprised, especially at her use of the term 'urges', since he has never seen her anything but controlled and sisterly, even when she drank his blood from his wrist, Vincent affirms.

'Sure, if you can wait a just a few days to start, I'll be very busy until after the audition. Although, why don't we ask Bruce to start you up, he's a really good instructor, besides being the best fighter in town.'

'Are you sure?' Mina asks.

'Yes, I'm sure, Bruce loves teaching, he is very patient and likes to demonstrate on exactly the right level of expertise.'

But that was not what Mina meant.

'I take your word for it that Bruce is a good instructor, I meant, are you sure Bruce can still best you? I've seen him fight during your raid, I'd say you're the better fighter now.'

This actually puts a spark in Vincent's eyes, and he considers her statement.

'I haven't sparred with Bruce for a few weeks, maybe we should face off again. I guess I may be better with a weapon, but I think he will still beat me unarmed.

He will love teaching you, you're fast and strong, a real challenge. As will I, I've see what you can do without training, who knows, you may yet best the both of us.'

After a short pause he continues.

'Let me wash and change, and then there is something I want to ask you before the others come home, with regards to Neil and my past.'

Vincent kisses his daughter, then asks her, 'Did you like Tai Chi?'

She replies with an eager voice, 'I like dancing.'

'Good,' he observes, 'you're never too young to learn to dance. Will you take your nap now? I have to dress nicely, I'm going to work in an hour or so, and if you want you can put on a nice dress tonight and come and watch me, but since that is very late, you need to sleep a little first. Is that all right?'

Catherine nods fervently, she already adores her father, and Mina is not surprised, since he talks to her as if she is an adult, and no matter how small she is, the girl appreciates that. She is not your normal two year old, that much is clear.

Little Catherine holds out her arms to her father, and he carries her upstairs, Mina following. In the hall, Catherine says, 'You shower, daddy. Mina will take me to bed, won't you, Mina?'

Suppressing a smile at the girl's audacity, Mina looks at her friend, and he winks and puts the girl down. Catherine takes Mina's hand and marches off to her little bed, which still resides next to her parents' large four-poster, somehow it feels wrong to let her sleep unattended.

Vincent walks to the bathroom for a cold shower.

Letting the girl do as much herself as she wants to, Mina proposes she chooses which dress she wants to wear that evening. They pick one together, a lovely red satin affair, well-suited to the theatre, and lay it over a chair carefully.

Then the girl crawls in the bed and kisses Mina.

'You don't have to stay until I sleep. Better go talk to daddy. He'll be quick, the shower is cold.'

Mina is stunned hearing this from a toddler, but she manages to hide her surprise.

'Not as quick as that, though you're right, the shower will be horribly cold. But he has all those buttons on his fancy shirt, remember? We have time for one story. Shall I tell you my favourite from when I was a girl? My brother Peter told it to me.'

And Mina tells an exciting story of a boy who goes to Africa and has all kinds of adventures, with lions and elephants and a magical river.

When it's finished, Catherine says, 'Thank you Mina, I loved it. I'll sleep now, leave the door open?'

Mina does so, and then enters the kitchen, where Vincent is already waiting, dressed as befits the lead actor of a company, a striking figure, a posture he belies as he says, 'Damn, that shower was cold! I've heard that there are people living on the North Pole whose hell is not a burning place, but icy cold. Well, that's our shower. I suppose Catherine was raised with utter cleanliness, I would have skipped it if it weren't for her orders.'

And it's not just the words, it's mostly his face as he says it, Mina can't help smiling. Charitably, she observes, 'Well, the shower ís very cold indeed, but I agree with Catherine that you needed it after such a workout. Can't have your heroine swoon before the conclusion.'

Mina can kick herself saying such a flirtatious thing, why not jump him straight away, or maybe even better, right in front of Adison, with Victor watching.

Fortunately, Vincent seems distracted, and he merely nods, and launches straight into the subject he wants to discuss with her.

'I've asked Neil, our driver on the trip, to tell me about Heathcliff, and how things are in his former circle at this moment. Neil apparently knew him quite well, since he often drove him around town, and he seemed just paranoid enough to keep me alive once word gets out Heathcliff is still alive, but turned white as a sheet from some frightful scare.'

Mina nods, this is exactly what she thought, and Neil might be a good contact. She doesn't remember his name, but frankly, neither Heathcliff nor Mina the vampire would have bothered to learn the name of a mere driver.

'And you want me to come?' she asks Vincent, 'to fill in as many of the missing pieces as I can?'

Vincent confirms.

'Yes, please, if you will? He agreed to meet me in my own house tomorrow night, after the show.'

Of course Mina will be glad to accompany him, Vincent is her friend, and the way she has been welcomed in their midst is just staggering. There is not much she wouldn't do for any of them, they saved her life and gave her something to keep living for.

Figuratively speaking, of course, for actually Mina is dead.

'I'll be happy to come with you, Vincent,' Mina says, 'maybe I'll even recognize this Neil from the past, I never asked anyone for their name in that life.'

'That is a relief to me, I remember so little, it's more that a bit disquieting to think I might meet one of my former self's enemies and not recognize him. I suppose a bullet can stop me.'

Mina nods understandingly, she knows too well how true that statement is.

Whilst Vincent checks the stew that has been simmering on the stove all day, Mina tells him all she remembers about her connection to Heathcliff's circle, and pretty soon Adison and Victor come in, giving Vincent some time with his love before he leaves for work.

Then Catherine wakes up, and they all eat, except Mina of course. Catherine notices.

'Not hungry?'

With a smile, Mina answers, 'I need special food, I cannot eat bread and stew.'

Thoughtfully, Catherine inquires further.

'Eat pie? And sausage?'

'Can't have those either,' Mina answers, 'but I remember how they taste, they were good. But I can drink tea.'

Fortunately, Catherine's soon moves her attention to Adison, telling her about Tai Chi and the dress, and Mina's story, for Mina has no idea what to tell the girl should she ask what Mina does eat. Not the truth, that much is clear.

Vincent says with determination, 'I'm going to visit that lawyer as soon as the auditions are done, and if I have as much as a hundred pounds in savings, I'll buy us a small boiler for the showers, it's getting cold!'

'Yes, I'm sorry Vincent,' Victor says, 'I know I promised to make one but just haven't had the time yet. Besides, I've seen one in a patient's house that puts mine to shame, elegant, decorated, and the patient said it used much less coal than he expected. It came with the house, I've got the address of the firm that built his house. Maybe we can hire them to build the practice as well.'

They agree that Victor will find out how much a new boiler will set them back, and then Vincent tells the others that he will be talking to Neil about his past that evening after the theatre, and that Mina will accompany him.

'I'm afraid visiting my old neighbourhood will have stirred people's memories, seeing me at Heathcliff's house will ring a bell. I think we'll have to sell the place, to give the neighbourhood the feeling that Heathcliff is indeed gone,' Vincent says, 'but I still need to know who may be have a grudge to settle with the old me.'

Adison doesn't like them going into that neighbourhood again at all, but it needs to be done, and with Mina along Vincent will be safe.

Someone knocks on the door, and Vincent rises, hugs and kisses Catherine, and Adison of course, ready to go.

'That's Bruce and Maud, I'm off. See you all tonight?'

They clean up the kitchen, and Adison helps Catherine dress and puts on an evening dress herself. Mina apparently has a new gown, too, and she is just stunning in it. After some deliberation she has decided to darken her blonde hair a little, which Victor has dutifully done by applying a darker shade dye to several strands, making a huge difference in her appearance. She has also put up her hair for the night, in a very fashionable style.

They make a stunning couple, Victor no longer shy towards his lovely woman, and dressed in a gorgeous suit, a compliment to his excellent taste in clothing. Mina looks sophisticated, a woman of the world, very beautiful, totally different from the rather naive girl she used to be before she was taken.

Chapter 33

It is a wonderful evening for Catherine, she loves everything, the hustle and bustle of London, the beautifully dressed ladies and gentlemen, the grand theatre, and of course, the play itself, with her father the hero in a tale of blood and woe.

Adison watches Catherine as the little girl watches the play, and it seems as if she already understands some of the action. She must be a very precocious child, and living in the city seems to agree with her, for so far they have not seen a thing of the temper Nelly said she had.

The pretty little girl catches a lot of attention, ladies often talk to her and admire her dress and her pretty black locks framing her finely featured face, and she enjoys the attention, but as her father would, as an actress pleasing the crowd.

Adison is not afraid all the attention will spoil her, Catherine is polite to her admirers, and she smiles at them, but she doesn't speak much, and if she does, it is with one or two words like a true toddler, almost as if she is hiding her true self behind a pretty, well dressed doll of a girl.

After the play they join the people allowed to meet the actors, and as Vincent lifts and hugs Catherine and asks her how she liked the play, he introduces her to Maud and the other actors, including Bruce, who hasn't been over yet.

They know Victor of course, but Mina gets her introduction to the crew, too, and she meets her friend Vanessa amongst the spectators. Mina has the feeling that Vanessa, who is usually very perceptive, has not recognized her yet, and Vanessa proves that by taking her hand and saying, 'I can't believe it, Mina, you are absolutely transformed! If it hadn't been for your holding hands with the handsome young doctor here, I would not have looked at you twice, well, except to admire your beauty. Not as someone I have known most of my life.

You haven't met my escort yet, have you?

Oh, you probably have seen him, come to think of it, but there wasn't much time for introductions that night.'

Vanessa introduces Mina to the American guy who was also at the raid where Mina got shot and saved, and he doesn't give any sign of recognition either. They shake hands like men, and Vanessa introduces her as Hermina, her full name, a very smart and alert move on Vanessa's side. It appears Mina can walk the streets unrecognized, so why give her away by using her name?

The American is obviously very charmed by her friend, but it is not clear at all to Mina whether that feeling is at all mutual. Vanessa has always been kind of an enigma, and Mina still doesn't know whether that is by design or by personality, or both.

After the usual pleasantries, Vanessa's American admirer, Mr Chandler, moves to Vincent and observes, 'I've seen you in this play in a different role, Mr Smith, but you deserve the lead, you're an actor born. Frankly, I'd say you should be in serious acting, you're the real thing.'

Mina doesn't hear what Vincent answers, for Vanessa is talking to her.

'I couldn't get your father to come. Will you step by one of these days? He would really like to see you again. You can walk the streets unafraid to be recognized.'

'Except that I cannot go out by day, dear Vanessa,' Mina replies, and her friend shows surprise and guilt at this realization. It was after all to get at Vanessa that Mina was lured by the enemy into becoming a vampire.

'But I will come by in the evening, not this week, but maybe next. Is that all right?' Mina asks her friend, 'I'll bring Victor.

Never mind, Vanessa, I'm happy now, even if I cannot ever see the sun again.

Vincent is going to teach me how to fence, I have a lot of time to practise and I am stronger and faster than you can imagine. If you ever have need of protection, please let me know, I will be there for you.'

'Thank you, Mina,' Vanessa says, 'I'm glad you're happy, I feel guilty about what happened. Who's the adorable child on your friend's arm?'

'That is his daughter, Catherine. He had a child in foster-care from his former marriage, and when he got engaged to Adison they decided they might as well raise her by themselves.

She is one of the reasons I'm happy, Vanessa, you know I always loved children. I babysit nights, and when Vincent is rehearsing for his audition and our doctors are out on their rounds.'

'That is one pretty girl,' Vanessa observes, 'her face is much more elegant than her father's, but the hair is the same intense black. She's much darker though, almost exotic. She could easily be Miss Adison's daughter, same slight build and unshakable demeanour.'

Vanessa was still an acute observer, how could she know Catherine's character by just looking at her? Mina decides to ask.

Smiling, Vanessa replies, 'I was watching the crowd before the show started, and saw pretty lady after pretty lady coo at her and touch her hair and cheeks. And she never flinched or lost her temper. She looked much like her dad, actually, like a professional actor.

I vaguely remember saying terribly indecent things to him that one evening, and he never flinched, everything slid right off him. Same with Miss Adison, she beat the demon inside me, even after taking several hits.

That little girl looks as if she is holding back immensely, pretending to be a toddler, but looking at the world like an adult.'

Vanessa might very well be right, and Mina determines she will see if Catherine is indeed just playing at being a toddler, no need to hide her true nature from the four of them.

'Did you say your friend Mr Smith is auditioning?' Vanessa changes the subject.

Mina feels quite proud of him, even though they are just friends, and she does not hesitate to let that pride show.

'He has been invited by the stage director of St James to audition for a role in a modern play in two days. If he gets it, it'll be an amazing accomplishment, no-one ever moves up from a role like this.'

'He'll get it,' her friend observes, 'he is very good, and wasted on this place. I hope you'll invite me to the opening night.

And all of you keep an eye on that little girl, something about her makes me restless, as if there is more to her than meets the eye. Miss Adison has that, too, though differently.

Our enemy may be looking for a new vessel, and my gut tells me that girl would be just perfect, can't tell you why, don't mean to scare you, just be alert.'

'We will watch her, thank you for your concern, Vanessa. Now it seems I can roam the streets without danger of exposure, do you want to go out together? It will have to be after dark, but I can protect you.'