Nature or Nurture Ch. 60-61

Story Info
A Penny Dreadful fanfiction.
14.9k words
4.73
4.8k
2
0

Part 38 of the 42 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 12/07/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

In December they celebrate Christmas with Bruce and Maud, and some friends from the theatre who have no family. There is a lot of snow, but Vincent can still use his bicycle to travel to and from St James'.

The players are all ready for the premiere, but since that is on Valentine's day, they will have to wait at least one more month. As George Alexander decides to reduce the number of rehearsals to two a week to keep in shape, Vincent gets a lot of spare time, which he spends with Catherine and often with Lucy.

Their friends have started to build a greenhouse on the estate, and to prepare the area for building and build the frame there is a crew of rather rough men on the site, which has made Lucy very afraid to step outside. She has a room on the ground floor now, where she can keep Percy with her and out of sight, and she takes him on long walks in the morning and the evening, when the men are not on the grounds, but still she suffers, and she is glad to have Catherine and Vincent visit.

With Frances' permission Vincent has started to teach Lucy martial arts, first of all tai-chi, which does not require physical contact but prepares the body and the mind for more physical martial arts by learning to control them.

Lucy enjoys the exercises and she gains strength and self-confidence, but not enough to face the workmen. Fortunately the days are short and some days are just too cold or too snowy to work outside, and on those days both Percy and Lucy can catch some extra fresh air.

January passes by with even more snow, and they decide together with their friends to reduce their teaching and learning meetings by half, they've all advanced so much they can practise by themselves for a fortnight before meeting again. They alternate the location to spare Melissa the long ride, she is getting so big she can hardly cycle in the slippery streets.

Adison worries a little about her insistence on working as hard as she used to, it is clear Melissa needs some rest, but Adison does not feel free to tell her so, afraid to be patronizing her friend. Melissa seems to be the kind of person who has to find her own limits, not have them put upon her by well-meaning friends.

Catherine does get around to asking Paul about a child-sized bicycle, something he has clearly never thought about. After a moment's contemplation, he says, 'I suppose you're not strong enough to handle a bicycle yet, but Bertha and the other kids on the estate were. I'll think about it, and ask around. I don't know any children of say four years old, or five. Wait a minute, I do, Melissa's sisters have children that age. Maybe they can cycle, though it does take a certain balance. I'll see what I can find out, all right?'

Glad she decided to ask Paul, Catherine offers him her arms, as sign she wants to be picked up and put on his lap. He understands, and she hugs him and kisses his rough cheek. It would have been easier to ask Lukas, they're good friends, and Paul is a bit reticent towards everyone, but it is time they get to know each other better, and this is the perfect occasion.

He is easy enough to soften up, the usual cuddles and kisses work well enough, and when dad has a bicycle-related question as well, they manage to have a real conversation.

'In the Chinese quarter our bicycles were a real novelty, and one guy insisted on knowing whether a bicycle could pull a cart. It seems he prefers to do the hard work himself rather than shovel manure.'

That clearly interests Paul, and he thinks it through and decides, 'I don't think it would be easy to steer, and of course a person on two wheels cannot pull as heavy a load as a much heavier donkey on four sturdy legs, especially not through mud. But I think I've seen a cart in front of a bicycle once, two wheels on the cart, and half a bicycle attached. Let me think about that, too. I'm always looking for new markets.'

And Vincent has a question for Lukas, too, but he plans to ask that in private. They often split up after practise now they have the sitting-room, and Lukas aims straight for Vincent this time. Somehow, he knows that Vincent wants to see him, alone.

'You have a question for me, you're projecting it at me, I cannot help picking up those things.'

They're alone in the sitting-room, and Vincent decides to just be frank about it.

'Adison thinks I may not be able to sire children because I have no beard, I used to have one as Heathcliff, I remember shaving, and of course I had Catherine, I suppose there is no doubt she is my daughter. Now things have quieted down, Adison really wants to have another child, and we can just try, but if I cannot sire children anymore maybe we should look elsewhere for a possible father instead of spending years waiting for something to happen.'

Lukas nods in understanding.

'I have heard of that connection between fertility and beards, and your body has been through an incredible trauma, having been dead for at least a few hours, then being struck by lightning and with magic coursing through its veins day and night. Though you seem to be thriving yourself, still the magic does apparently destroy the colour in your skin.

You want me to find a way to test your fertility?'

'I hoped you might find out some way, yes,' Vincent admits.

'That may be possible, but I'd have to think about it. Can I discuss this with Melissa? She's the one who can see through anything. And your wife and friend are doctors, they probably know more about the way it all functions. It would help to know what I'm looking for...'

'You are right,' Vincent observes, 'I didn't think of that, that is kind of foolish of me. I'll ask Victor then, I don't want to bother Adison with it yet, she'd probably tell me to leave it alone and see what happens for a year or so, but I promised Lucy I'd give Catherine a brother or sister if she'd try to see George as her father, and she has made great progress.

I do my best too,' this last with a knowing look at Lukas, 'but I feel I can do more.'

'I'll talk to Melissa and think about it, you do the same with Victor. Then we compare notes to see if there is anything we can check. Adison should have a baby of her own, she's a fabulous mother, she'd love it. I'll get back to you next time.

Something totally different, your friend Lord Douglas of course picked up his sword some months ago, showing no further signs of wanting to save me from my cruel master, but just last week he was back to order a large bathtub. Of course he couldn't tell Paul he had seen ours, but he said he had heard of people having such things and he'd like to have one himself.

So Paul played the fool and we showed the young Lord our bathroom and this time he really looked at it, at the whole room, though he did look his fill of Paul as well, and when we got back to the workshop he not only wanted a tub but a mosaic, too.

Paul knows how to make one and Lord Douglas was prepared to pay for the time it costs to make, so Paul has accepted the job, though it will be a lengthy one. Prepare to be invited to admire it when it's finished, and maybe even join your starry-eyed pupil for a nice soaking. He seemed rather stuck on you.'

Nodding knowingly, Vincent observes, 'I let him feel how much I've been holding back on him, and I'm afraid he kind of worships me a little since then, even though I told him I'm not interested in guys. But apparently Miss Angelique, who is known as Steve in his circle, has seen what happened between Mr Grey and me, and you and me kissing, and that idea lodged in Bosie's mind. I suppose he still doesn't believe that wasn't really me.'

Now Lukas, who generally really likes to keep up with the gossip, looks a bit crestfallen. Seeing his disappointed face, a very cute face that begs to be held and kissed, Vincent asks, 'What is the matter, Lukas, did I say something wrong?'

'I thought you enjoyed kissing me, you said you wanted to kiss me like that ever since we met. Do you mean to say it meant nothing to you? That it was someone else who kissed me?'

That really hurts the poor boy, and since it is not true, Vincent follows his feelings and takes Lukas' face in his hands and kisses it.

'It most definitely was me who kissed you, Lukas, and who wanted to kiss you. And with you I'd go a lot further than just kissing. But not just with any guy, or girl for that matter, who has a fancy for me because I'm a good fighter, or an actor they like to see on stage.

I meant, I'm not that guy who would just kiss anyone because he felt like it, which I suppose my other self wouldn't either, so I guess I just expressed myself wrong. Sorry. Please don't think you mean nothing to me, for you do. Mean something to ...'

Vincent finds his words cut off by another kiss, and he stops thinking and just enjoys that fabulous kiss, held in strong hands and catching a whiff of tantalizing musk. Too soon, Lukas is done, and says, 'You had me a bit afraid I had gotten the wrong impression. I'm very glad that you care for me for I need a lot of love. And I'm not a starry-eyed boy, you know that.'

'I heard your other side talking to Mr Grey,' Vincent says, 'he sounded very confident.'

Another smile nearly splits Lukas' delicious upper lip, and he observes, 'You're right, I have a very adult, very sensible side to me, and he always knows exactly what is the right thing to do. But I usually do as I please.'

When Vincent and Adison crawl into bed together that night, Adison asks, 'Will you share your feelings with me, Vincent? I saw you with Lukas today, and I'm picking up all kinds of feelings from you lately. I suppose I need to see him for some special shields, but something always comes up. Anyway, I'm starting to feel a bit left out.'

Has he projected the attraction he feels for Lukas? Does it bother Adison that he occasionally kisses him? Maybe she has even picked up on how Bosie still flirts with him a little, and Vincent lets him. It's not as if he's acting on it. But she does have a right to know.

'I thought you knew that Lukas and I have kissed on occasion, I thought you even approved, said you'd do the same in a second. And Bosie, Lord Douglas, has a little boy's crush on me, because I can beat him at fencing and teach him new tricks. I have told him I'm not going to become intimate with him, and he respects that.'

'He does?' Adison says, 'I suppose that was to be expected, he's the kind of person who falls in and out of love easily, and if you deny him what he aches for, it grows. Mr Wilde will not be happy with you for not indulging him, how long has this been going on?'

'A few months, why?'

'He must be losing sleep over you then, and crying in secret. Your Lord Douglas is that type. Better take a good hard look at Mr Wilde next time you see him, if he seems put out better give his adored Bosie what he wants, so he will turn back to his old friend once more.'

Adison is deadly serious.

'Are you suggesting I should make love to my boss, give a spoiled young noble his way, to prevent insulting my other boss, another spoiled noble? Is the world gone totally mad? You should be pleading me not to!'

Adison is laughing at him, he can feel it in the dark, beneath the covers, she shakes and ruffles his hair.

'I'm just teasing you, of course you don't have to give a spoiled boy his way, better save yourself for me, I need your love more.

But that is not what I meant. I meant that you have been worrying every so often that you want to give me a child, and you may not be able to. And that you need to find out if you're truly infertile. That is what you were discussing with Lukas this afternoon, before you kissed him, isn't it?'

How could she have known?

'I expected you to tell me to just have patience, to see what happened. But I wanted to know immediately, not to try for years and be frustrated and wondering all this time.'

'And I want to know, too, as soon as possible. I suggest we ask Victor, he must have studied the subject extensively, he was obsessed by life and death from an early age. I'm sure he put his sperm under a microscope, he knows what it should look like. We can compare yours to his notes.'

That out of the way, Adison says, 'And now you can make love to me, just to make us both feel good. We have Catherine, and she makes me very happy. If we are to have no more children, that is fine by me, we raise Catherine and help other people's children. Don't worry, Vincent, I will love you just as much, and you will love me. That's all we really need, isn't it?'

It is, but of course they both knew that already.

Somewhere around this time, Mina starts to wonder why they haven't seen Vanessa for some time, and she decides to visit her. Adison comes along, but the men are encouraged to stay at home with Catherine, Mina hopes for a spontaneous girls' night out.

As they reach her father's house and knock, Sembene opens the door, hugs both of them enthusiastically, then takes them to Sir Malcolm and disappears. Sir Malcolm receives both ladies with a similar hug, very singular, he was never so openly affectionate.

Mina asks, 'Is Vanessa in? We were hoping to tempt her to have a girls' night with us.'

At the mention of Vanessa, Sir Malcolm's expression becomes grave, and actually rather sad.

'She has left the house, with Mr Chandler, they have gone to a safe place somewhere outside town to lay low for a while. Did he tell you someone was looking for him?'

Mina nods.

'He did, said the law was on him, and even someone from his past. So they fled town?'

'They did, it seemed the wisest thing to do. I would have pulled some strings, but enough weird things have happened around me as well, especially at the time I was looking for you and when I reported you dead without showing a body, that my credit with the police department runs very low indeed. We're planning another excursion to Africa, and this time we'll all go.

Me, Sembene, Mr Chandler, and Vanessa. It will take another two months to make the preparations, and they'll ship out straight from their hideaway. It's some quaint old homestead Vanessa inherited years ago, they'll be roughing it in winter, but it's good preparation for an exploration party plus..' and Sir Malcolm says this with a leer, 'they will have each other to keep warm.'

'So you know about Mr Chandler and Vanessa?' Mina asks.

'I do, and they've taken the shackles from the basement, and all his guns. Apparently the neighbourhood wasn't all that friendly either. Still, I guess they can take care of each other, and before long Vanessa will have her greatest wish: see the world. We'll have to take some kind of crate to shackle Mr Chandler in three nights every month, but I suppose we'll manage. Sembene is really fond of Mr Chandler as well, they won't do without him.'

Sembene, meanwhile, has entered with coffee and another beautiful pie, and he quickly pours coffee and cuts pie, then sits down with them.

'I'm sorry you cannot taste my pie, Mina, Malcolm says you used to love sweet things.'

'No matter, Sembene,' Mina says, 'I'm used to it now, though this one is very good-looking indeed. I do wish I could taste it, but I've tried in the beginning and the result was gross, I know better now. But believe me, there are compensations. Victor's blood is very sweet, and on feast days and special occasions I get to set my teeth in this lady's husband. That is better than pie, even one like this.'

Adison and Mina have talked about their night with each other's man often, and since neither of them feels any resentment or jealousy, they can joke about it to friends. Besides, neither her father nor Sembene knows how stimulating it is to be bitten by a vampire. They probably think it's just food.

'Vanessa said visiting mother was very stressful, father. Will you tell us what happened?'

Her father bows his head and replies, 'I will, though it is tough to hear.

I drove over straight away, and arrived two days later. I found your mother in bed, with Carol watching over her. Remember Carol? She always was your mother's favourite, and she said your mother had had terrible headaches for days when she suddenly collapsed and lost consciousness. They took her to bed.

That was the day before we destroyed Mrs Poole.

She continued to have seizures, and pulled her hair and screamed, calling out for Peter and for you, as if she was seeing you, Carol said. She sounded glad but also frightened. That continued for days, until Mr Thorn destroyed the image of her. Then she screamed in terrible pain one last time and stayed silent, as if someone had taken her tongue.

Carol was very glad to see me, but your mother wasn't. She didn't care. Something had broken her spirit, I'm sure, she was conscious, and in the days I was there we got her out of bed and in a dress, but she didn't recognize me, not even to be angry. I suppose she's still that way, she eats her food, and goes to the privy, and lets Carol dress her and wash her, but she is not really a person anymore. The witch took her soul, or maybe losing you two did. I don't know. She was angry enough when I told her about you.

I asked Carol about the servants and she said there were two new ones, a boy in the garden staff, and a girl in cleaning, with indecent curly hair. She ran away the night of that blood-curdling scream, they thought in fear, but I knew better.

I'm sorry Mina, your mother is probably going to spend her life like this, and you cannot even visit. Seeing you would frighten her to death, I'm sure. I've made arrangements for her to be taken care of as well as can be done, Carol will share her duties with the maid, and the steward will keep the house and the grounds in good order while I'm gone to Africa.'

If anything, Mina feels guilty for not having visited her father before. Without Vanessa he must have been lonely, though of course he always has Sembene around, they seem even closer than before.

'I'm glad you're going back to Africa, father, and with Vanessa. She is wasted out here, she can use some loosening up, and some danger and some hardship. She'll love it.'

Soon after Vincent's talks with Lukas and with Adison about fertility, Adison and Vincent ask Victor about testing a man's semen for fertility. He smiles sweetly and observes, 'So that's what Catherine meant when she asked me whether I was making her a little brother or sister, the morning after we shared your bed. I did wonder.'

Is there anything Victor doesn't hear and remember?

But when Adison affirms his surmise, he replies, 'I have indeed studied the subject, almost a year before I met the two of you, a couple I knew wanted some advice on the matter. I researched the literature available and decided to use my own specimen as comparison, making careful notes for future references. It'll be incredibly interesting to test yours, Vincent, who knows what the effect of magic on fertility might be. I'd love to get my hands on a sample of Lukas' too, imagine, he's a different species altogether.'

Victor is so cute when he lets his inner fire out, he really loves his science, Adison contemplates they should draw him out more often, it would do wonders for his social skills.

Vincent comments cheekily.

'If you ask Lukas nicely I'm sure he'll let you collect a sample, Victor, though I'm sure he'll offer to return the favour. And why not? You might even gather some new material in your studies of the science of making love, I've learned from a very dependable source that he has some tricks in that field of knowledge that are certain to make you buckle.'

Proving he has learned a lot socially since meeting Adison and Vincent, Victor laughs merrily and hug his friend.

'You big, broad hunk, I think I'll stick to you in the gentlemen's department. I'm fairly certain our randy friend is too much for me to handle. And besides, one needs to view the semen sample fresh, it's alive but dies quickly when spilled. No time to do any buckling I'm afraid.'