Nature or Nurture Ch. 69: Finale

Story Info
A Penny Dreadful fanfiction.
6.7k words
4.47
5.4k
1

Part 42 of the 42 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 12/07/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Life settles very nicely with the threat of the Master taken care of.

Vincent plays his part and teaches Lord Douglas and Lucy, spending the rest of his time on family and friends.

Catherine reads everything she can lay her hands on and continues to observe Victor's experiments, taking notes and making drawings. Adison treats her patients, sometimes helping nature a teeny bit with a little magic, but always very careful not to give the game away by miraculously curing deadly diseases. Let the people take some medicine for a few weeks, and feel sick while their body battles the rest of the disease Adison has weakened magically, they'll live, and they will not have a clue it was not the medicine that did the trick.

Still, the survival rate of her patients goes up all the time, but how can Adison let people die that she can save? So many already die despite their best efforts, even on their excursions with Lukas. With March still cold and the city still covered in snow, Lukas' work does not let up, and he works on doggedly, never complaining where Adison or Mina can hear it, always tireless.

Whenever they see something truly heart-rending, he insists on detaching all of them from it, and rightfully so or they would have quit this task long before now.

Mina goes out every other night, but Adison doesn't want to burden Victor with babysitting too often so she accompanies them once a week. Lukas himself is out every afternoon and evening, with all his friends taking turns to guard and assist him, a lot more careful these days to keep his cures as subtle as Adison makes them, letting medicine, medical practice and good food do some of the work for him, though the food continues to be a problem.

When the snow finally starts to melt, Vincent and Lord Douglas ride out to the Nomes' estate, to meet with Lucy for a ride across the grounds. As they cross half of London on their spirited horses, they finally have the chance to really talk, and the news from Bosie is disheartening.

Mr Wilde has really sued Bosie's father, who is now very busy gathering evidence to escape conviction. If he can prove that Mr Wilde is indeed a sodomite, he will not only go free himself, Mr Wilde will be prosecuted by the state, for sodomy is actually punishable by two years in prison.

'Do you think your father will be able to find evidence to clear himself and incriminate Mr Wilde?' Vincent asks.

Bowing his head, Bosie has to admit, 'I'm quite sure he will, I've been a bit careless with some of Oscar's letters to me, they may have ended up in the wrong hands. They were probably thrown out, but if anyone held on to one, it's worth a fortune to my father, and he has a fortune, so he can buy any proof he likes.

Also, Oscar has been unwise in his contacts, you know my circle includes several lower class friends, like Steve, but we take care of our own and their loyalty lies with us. Testifying for my father would gain them nothing, it would only cost them their income and our protection. But Oscar has sometimes looked outside our circle, and I'm afraid some of those boys will say anything for a few bob.'

'Bosie, do you realize that if he is convicted, you will be in danger, too?'

'I do, Vincent, I do, but what can I do? My friends are urging me to go to France, but I'm not ready to take flight just yet. I need to stand up for Oscar, I love him and I want to be with him. Is our love such a bad thing? I cannot deny him, not to save my own skin.'

Once they have reached the gate of the manor, Vincent speaks to the gate-keeper, and they are let in, making their way towards the house.

'This is magnificent, Vincent, last time I was here I never saw the extent of the grounds, it was dark, and I was quite distraught with what had happened.'

'I imagine you were, and we only talked of the mundane things that happened, never of the magic you witnessed. Did it scare you?'

'It did, you know I couldn't see any magic being used, but somehow I felt things were happening around me. I was glad those thugs stormed in, they gave me the opportunity to just do something.'

'You were incredible, and believe me, you had a large part in ridding this city of a dangerous leach. This Mr Quesnet must have taken hundreds, if not thousands of innocents from the streets to further his own ends.'

'I'm glad he didn't manage to steal your body, I like you, not just because of the lessons, but also because you don't judge me, I can always find some comfort in talking to you.'

'You know, Bosie, you can always talk to me if you are feeling oppressed. Even at St James' there are plenty of rooms where one can have a private conversation. There are difficult times ahead for you, don't suffer by yourself.'

'If I have to flee to France, I'll miss you, Vincent.'

'I hope it won't come to that, Bosie, but if you do have to go, I'll miss you, too. Please keep me informed, and if there is anything I can do for you, you'll let me know, won't you?'

Lucy is already waiting for them, she's not relaxed with a rather handsome man riding straight towards her, but Vincent is with him, and he has told her this man is like George, without the slightest interest in girls.

And indeed he is polite, but rather distracted, as if he has unpleasant business that has nothing to do with Lucy.

Vincent confirms this by saying, 'But hey, let us leave these matters beyond those gates, and have a little fun right now, what do you say, Bosie?'

They don't even get off their horses, Vincent merely gives her a supporting look, he sits that horse really well, he told Lucy he used to have a horse, and he is very good at martial arts, but his build is so stocky and he is usually so placid around her, and well...rather old, it is just hard to picture someone like that as an athlete.

But many people take fencing lessons from him, and she's heard he is a really good swordsman, so she probably has to believe that. Well, they're going to push those horses, and then Lucy will see with her own eyes whether her favourite is as old and as tranquil as he pretends to be, Catherine did brag a lot about her dad being the best fighter in town, killing that gytrash all by himself, and so on and so forth.

Lucy takes the lead, she knows the grounds best, and since Suzy doesn't see the use of a walk as a gait for a horse, she starts out at a trot, towards the hills on the furthest end of the family's property. The men are keeping up well, balancing nicely in a jarring trot, until they reach the first safe stretch to really let go. George insisted on Lucy riding alone for half an hour before meeting up with unknown riders with unknown horses.

'I know you know Vincent well, but you've never seen him ride, and those high-bred hunters can easily infect Suzy with any nerves. I want you to take her out and let her run off most of her nervous energy, and then you can ride with other horses.'

Despite having run already, Suzy is eager to go faster, and with a look back and a call to Vincent, Lucy lets her go. With a burst of speed Suzy flies off, the two hunters following, but not keeping up.

Vincent can see Lord Douglas' admiring looks at Lucy's horse, every noble yearns for a thoroughbred, but they're just not practical to own. They're too nervous for hunting, and generally not strong enough to ride all day, so most gentlemen choose to own a more solidly built horse, and keep thoroughbreds for racing.

Of course Lucy is rather small and cannot hinder any horse with her slight weight. As soon as the house is out of sight, she calls out, then lets the horse go, and the result is just incredible. That creature looks as if she's flying, and Lucy sits on her back solidly and still. Their own horses are eager to follow, but of course they cannot match the speed, they've been through half the city already, and are carrying grown men.

Just before they reach the hills, Lucy turns her horse back towards them in a large circle, and soon she is galloping right next to them, until she motions them to slow down entirely to a walk.

'There is a drop-off on the other side of this hill, it's better to walk over it the first time.'

Lord Douglas knows Lucy is shy, but he doesn't know anything of her history, that is hers to tell anyone, not Vincent's. Lucy hasn't even told him much, just bits and pieces. Melissa told him a little, she helped Lukas to give Lucy her memories back, but mostly Vincent just treats her as being shy, and nothing more.

And here the young Lord shows he is a bit more than a selfish noble, for he exclaims, 'My god, Miss Lucy, I envy you that fabulous horse, but also your talent for riding her. For I guess I wouldn't even manage to mount that gorgeous creature, she seems rather nervous.'

Lucy, still very shy but also very pleased, manages to reply, 'Thank you very much, Lord Douglas, Suzy is indeed not a horse for just anyone. It took me two months to convince her to allow me on her back, she had thrown every rider who tried for six months, and a lot of them tried for she was very valuable. But after she nearly killed one of her jockeys, George, Sir Nomes that is, barely managed to save her from the slaughterhouse.'

'And he gave her to you, the only one who can understand her and therefore ride her. I'm impressed, Miss Lucy, very much so.'

It almost seems as if the ice is broken between the two of them, and they spend a lovely spring morning riding together. When the horses start to tire, they head to the manor-house, where Lucy offers to take care of both Lord Douglas' horses as well as her own.

He protests at first, 'I was looking forward to talking with you about Suzy some more, I really want to know how you managed to rehabilitate her.'

But her reaction is so shy, so reluctant, that he instantly understands there is more afoot than just shyness, and he quickly says, 'I'm sorry to upset you, Miss Lucy, please forgive me my insistence. I'd love for you to take care of my hunters, you're very good with horses and they'll appreciate that. I had a lovely morning, thank you for showing us the grounds and your beautiful horse.'

Poor Bosie, young ladies are probably not his forte anyway, and Lucy is one of the more difficult ones. Still he has managed to get her to talk, which is a miracle in itself, and as soon as George has led the two of them away from the stables Vincent says, 'She never speaks to strangers, Bosie, she must feel comfortable enough with you as long as she's on a horse.'

'I thought I did rather well, but then I spoiled it by asking too much. I'm sorry I upset the young lady, Sir George.'

'Don't worry about it, Lord Douglas, she's not that upset. As Vincent said, she must kind of like you to talk to you at all, usually the very sight of a handsome young man scares her miles away, and with a horse like that you can imagine how far and how fast she can go. Do come in and have a cup of coffee and a treat while your horses rest.'

Once seated and provided with coffee and a beautiful apricot pie, where does Frances find apricots for her pies at this time of winter?, Lord Douglas decides to talk to George about Suzy.

'Sir George, that is a singularly beautiful horse Miss Lucy has, she told me you saved it from the slaughterhouse.'

'Very true, Lord Douglas,' George replies, 'after Vincent here hinted that Lucy might like a horse of her own, and that she would probably prefer a large one with issues to take care of, I immediately saw the truth in that. There are reasons why Lucy will most likely stay with us permanently, so there is no reason why she shouldn't have a horse that will never be suitable to use in the city, or by anyone else but herself.

I activated certain contacts, and within a month I received a message that a beautiful, talented thoroughbred was going to be slaughtered because it was dangerous to people.

My contact assured me that the horse was not vicious, just very nervous, had lost all faith in people, especially men.

Getting her here was not an easy task, since Lucy has much the same problem and wasn't going to accompany me to Ascot very easily. But she did, and she calmed the horse enough to take her along behind the carriage, and since she was not dressed like a lady but to handle a horse, she was even offered a job which of course she refused, being just thirteen years old and shy of people.

She spent months working with Suzy from the ground, until they totally trusted each other, and when they were both ready to try riding, a thick cover of snow had fallen, and they sorted things out together in a snowy paddock until Lucy dared to go out with Bertha and her little ponies. Bertha is my youngest daughter, Lord Douglas, she prefers driving to riding, and her little ponies and the sleigh were perfect companions.

And since then, they have been riding together, Lucy and Suzy, and Suzy has found all of her speed back, I've timed her and she's faster than the current filly in her age group. But neither girl nor mare will ever be able to face either a track or a crowd, so we'll just admire the two of them by ourselves. And if you ever have a problem with a horse that you cannot get the better of, feel free to ask Lucy for help.'

'I wish my problems were as easily solved as that,' Lord Douglas comments, 'thank you for the tale, I was very curious. But riding sure makes one forget one's problems, as does this coffee, and this pie. I've never had anything like it, and I'd dare say my family employs some of the best chefs money can hire.'

'My wife Frances imports the beans herself, Lord Douglas, and she hopes to grow them in her new greenhouse.

She has even made a new acquaintance recently, a horticulturist from Greece, and together they will almost certainly succeed in growing this coffee right here in London. And of course the pies are made with fruit she grows herself, these are the last apricots of the year, we'll have to make do with apples and cherries from now on.'

Judging from George's face, the apple-pies and cherry-pies must be even better, for he doesn't seem sorry at all. Come to think of it, Vincent has had the cherry pie before, and it was delicious. They must have a cellar the size of their house to store all that fruit.

As they are talking about the play, and their excursion to end the Master, and even Mr Grey, whom Lord Douglas is able to tell has been allowed back into their circle, Vincent feels a little hand take his own. It's Lucy, she has sneaked into the room and is now sitting really close to him, spying on their visitor and George.

At the first convenient pause in the conversation, she observes loud enough to be heard, 'You complimented Suzy, Lord Douglas, but your hunters are very well-bred indeed. And very well-mannered.'

Both George and Lord Douglas are surprised to find Lucy in the sitting-room, and as George pours a cup of coffee and puts whipped cream liberally on top of a slice of pie for her, Lord Douglas replies gently, 'Thank you very much, Miss Lucy, I'm glad they behaved. Was Suzy all right after her run?'

'Never better. George told me to ride her at least half an hour before you came, so she was nice and warm when we left. She's eating now, she needs a lot of food, and of course she has her own blanket, she always returns soaking wet from our trips, she has not discovered the joy of a quiet ride, yet.'

Why, Lucy is positively talkative, apparently horse-talk is the thing that can make her overcome her shyness. She does still hold Vincent's hand, though, and she hides most of herself behind him, but still, this is a wonderful development.

Lord Douglas notices how she hangs on to Vincent.

'Have you seen your friend play at St James' already?'

'I haven't, my Lord, but I'd like to very much. It's just that so many people make me very nervous. Like Suzy, only I don't kick them, I just want to hide.'

'You know my friend Oscar wrote that play, and he knows St James' very well. He showed me a secret spot where you can see everything, but nobody can see you. I could show you and say, one other person, like Lady Nomes, or Sir George.'

'Or Jonathan, Lucy,' George offers. 'He hasn't seen it yet, and I'm sure he'll love haunting a theatre. You trust him more than anyone.'

'We promised Jonathan he didn't have to be our father anymore, I cannot ask him to do that for me.'

'You'd ask Marcus, wouldn't you?'

George is certainly a diplomat, and Lucy accedes to his logic.

'I would, it is exactly what a brother would do.'

'Well then, you can ask Jonathan, too. I do the things a father would do, but you could also ask Vincent, and Marcus does brotherly things for you, but Jonathan wouldn't mind doing them either.'

'If you dare go, just send word, and I'll make sure to show the two of you this secret space,' Lord Douglas offers.

'I see the play nearly every evening, and I have not been bored a single moment yet. But of course I'm biassed, my friend wrote it.'

'And my friend plays in it, so I'll be biassed, too. I'll ask Jonathan first, and if he wants to go, I'll think about it. Thank you, Lord Douglas, your horses like you, and I like you too.'

Well, there are worse judges of character than horses, if that is the standard Lucy uses to decide whom she puts her trust in, she will be relatively safe from harm when she grows up to be a woman.

On their way back, Bosie is rather quiet, and after some time he observes, 'I've never talked so much with a young girl, there was something about her. I really hope she'll dare come to the play, she seems very fond of you. Everyone is, even Mr Grey.

Why do you dislike him so, Vincent? He has really changed, you know, he's less fascinating somehow, still heartbreakingly beautiful of course, but he only sleeps with those who prove they like him over and over again until he is convinced.

And I think Steve and him are going to make a match of it, fortunately they seem the same age, or it would be Oscar and myself all over again.'

'What does a man like Mr Grey care about a simple guy like me, Bosie? I dare say he'll be over my dislike by now, especially if he is in your good graces once more.'

'There is nothing simple about you, there wasn't when you were just teaching me how to fence, but after that night at Mr Quesnet's place I realize there's even more to you than I suspected. Dr Frankenstein's lady sitting in your lap and drinking your blood straight from your throat, then walking away as if she hadn't been left for dead minutes earlier?

Mr Grey losing his years as we sat there talking, his hand in yours. That creepy old man talking about taking your wife and your son, you don't even have a son. And why would he want to kiss you? But, I promised I'd forget all of that, and I will, in time.

But Mr Grey now, he visits your show every night, he has a box and doesn't hide himself anymore since he's young again, but he never even tries to get into the receiving area either, he just leaves, looking like a whipped dog. No, Vincent, he's not forgotten you by far.'

'What would you have me do then, Bosie? He did something very bad to me, not once, but twice, I cannot forgive him for that, don't think I haven't tried. I liked him a lot, once, but I can never like him again.'

'Well, Vincent, then he must have deserved your ill-will, for you are as generous as any man I know. I will not mention him again, you may depend upon it. Let's talk of happier things before you have to go out and entertain the masses again.

Will you bathe and change at my place? And will you do me the honour of having an early dinner with me this time instead of at St James'? My mother is out of town, and she has an excellent cook, I'd love to have you to myself for a whole afternoon.'

They have a very entertaining dinner, but to Vincent it almost seems as if Bosie is saying goodbye to him, for despite seeing him each night at St James, and teaching him and riding with him every week, they somehow only talk superficially. Bosie does keep him up to date on the trial, which is not going well.

12