New World, New Woman

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

That night Shelby helped Regina wash off the makeup, moisturize and brush her hair out before bed. She had selected an oversize red cotton night shirt that came to Regina's knees for bed that night. Shelby had already switched the bed covers to a more feminine style, a light purple duvet with matching pillow shams. There were three vases of flowers, and the lamp that had sat unused without a lampshade was now sporting a soft shade that complemented the duvet.

"The room sure changed a lot in one afternoon." Regina was assessing the situation rather clinically. She knew the changes all made sense, that they were all appropriate, but she was just so tired at this point, she didn't really feel much at all.

"Goodnight, Sweetie. Sleep well. Tomorrow will be another big day." Shelby knew there were still many big shocks to come, but the first day was always one of the biggest.

Regina's alarm clock woke her a whole hour earlier than normal the next morning. Still groggy, she made out her mom coming in with a cup of coffee. "Rise and shine young lady! We have to get you ready!" Mom seemed unnaturally chipper this morning. Regina began to yawn and stretch. Her bed felt so comfortable, more so than usual. The sheets felt better, and there were more pillows than she recalled. The flowers, the duvet, the lamp shade and the nightgown were all certain reminders that yesterday was not a nightmare, but harbingers of her new reality.

"Come on sweetie, you have a lot to do this morning! Up and into the shower. Remember the body wash, use it on your face, and Do Not use it in your hair!" Shelby gave an infectious giggle. Regina wondered if she would giggle, and if so, where it would come from.

Regina went and stood at the toilet again. "Sit missy!" reminded her of what was yet to become obvious, second nature. She sat on the toilet, wiped, and did remember to wash this time. Mom already had the shower running, humming happily to herself. The warm shower felt very inviting. The scent of lavender filled the bathroom. Regina really liked the tingle of the body wash. Putting it on her face would keep her from needing a shave, and felt very invigorating. She had never considered why mom had so much of it around the house when nobody really needed it; mom bought it because it felt really good.

Mom had already selected a denim skirt that stopped about three inches above her knees and red blouse, with a matching red headband. Regina slipped on the flat bottom sandals, knowing that heels were in her immediate future. Regina slipped a sweater over her shoulders, and wondered if she should take a jacket as well. Just before leaving the front door she heard someone yelling.

"Reggie, where the hell were you man, I needed you yester. . ." Regina had just emerged, averting her eyes from Jack. Jack was stunned; his best friend was now a girl. He knew exactly what had happened. Reggie disappeared yesterday, but for good; he lost his wingman. He did not know what this would mean for their friendship. Once a girl got the Yellow Letter, many classes were reassigned, their activities were switched. So much changed.

They walked to the bus stop in silence. Jack got his Blue Envelope two weeks ago, but he hadn't told Reggie, waiting until after his birthday. Knowing both Reggie and Jamie, it would have been a big surprise if Reggie got a Blue Envelope. Jack knew their letters would change things, but he didn't want to create more of a wedge between them.

Jack had so much he wanted to say, but he didn't want to overwhelm Reggie. But more than that, he was absolutely gob smacked by this beautiful person walking next to him. It was impossible not to be completely distracted by this girl with beautifully styled blond hair tucked behind her ears, the red headband, beautiful blue eyes, very attractive features, and the makings of a killer figure. Jacks best friend was giving him a raging boner; rational conversation at this point was less probable than finding fresh sushi on the moon.

Regina was already lost in a torrential storm of self consciousness, doubt, and fear. The silence from her friend made her wonder if they were still friends. How desperately alone she felt.

Friday mornings were the day that the "new" girls came to school. A "new" girl named Erin got on two stops after Regina. At school Regina met up with Frankie, her cousin and one of her best friends. Just as her mom had said, Frankie also got her Yellow Letter yesterday. Frankie was wearing a black skirt to her knees and a cream blouse. Regina was surprised that she was appraising what Frankie was wearing so soon. They knew they would have much to discuss at lunch.

In the halls there were many knowing nods from the other Yellows, some scowls from some of the Pinks, and lustful looks from some of the Blues. The looks Regina could understand best were the looks of anxiety, even fear from those still hoping for Blue Letters, but likely to receive Yellow.

The first order of business was a special meeting with the Ms Vernon, Dean of Transition. Schools had a small staff just to deal with the Process candidates.

A tall, serious looking woman in an impeccable light blue pant suit stood before them. "Good morning, ladies. I am Dean Vernon, Dean of Transition. Within the next year you will go through the Process, just as I did. I was a Yellow, just like you. I actually sat in this seat right here (pointing at Erin) after I got my envelope. Please know that I am here first and foremost as a friend, because we all need friends before, during and after. I am still very friendly with a number of women that have come through this school. I met my husband right here at this school, we have been happily married for 11 years, I have three sons so far, the oldest nine, the middle one is six, and the youngest is four.

Dean Vernon reminded Regina of her Aunt Alex, her dad's older sister, very prim, proper, but unlike the Dean, quite the drinker. She suspected though that it was the Irish heritage more than any other factor; when McMartins got together there were draughts aplenty, and then many more.

Dean Vernon went right after the biggest elephant in the room, becoming mothers. Even with the immense efforts going to rebuild the population, getting back to stable levels was still up to a century away, which meant a lot of social pressure for women to have at least three kids, more if possible. The girls in this room, though born boys, would becoming fully functioning women, hence the reason for starting the transition right now.

All of the girls looked a little glum. It was such an extreme transition to go from having hope of being a father to making actual plans for motherhood in 24 hours. Dean Vernon seemed to anticipate that attention was shifting to the other elephant in the room.

"There are still far too many that hang on to outmoded notions of homosexuality. Being transitioned does not make you a gay man; it makes you a straight woman. As of the moment your Envelopes arrived, you legally became women. By the time the process is complete you will think of yourselves as straight women, wanting to fall in love, marry and have children. Our society has strict laws about underage sex to eliminate experiences that reinforce counterproductive sexual roles. You have not had sex so far, nor have you even dated.

"Now that you will be settling in to your official designations, dating is encouraged. Those of you who are 17, you are still not allowed to have any sexual contact. Those of you that are over 18, you are of age, and you may engage in any activity you wish with a male who is also over 18."

The girls in the room shifted uncomfortably, averting their gazes from Dean Vernon and each other. None of the girls in this room were excited about the prospect with sex with males. From infancy kids are instructed in the new birds and bees, but that doesn't make these moments any less strange or uncomfortable.

As if the strangeness wasn't coming fast enough, Dean Vernon made a pointed personal invitation to a school dance for the next night, Saturday. As always, Shelby seemed one step ahead of Regina, having already bought her a new party dress, a sleek purple backless number, with shoulders that looked a bit like flower petals, with matching clutch, and thankfully, a wedge heel that Regina felt was not so out of control. The wedge heel and the above knee hemline showed off Regina's calves with spectacular effect.

Steph was completely caught up in the whole thing, dreaming of going to her first dance. Regina marveled at how easy the process seems for young Pinks. 18 months ago Steph was playing with cars and balls, now its dolls and clothes. The only evidence that she was ever a boy is the fact that nobody is born a girl.

Regina shooed Steph out, some serious girl talk was in order. Regina had been fighting against her emotions all day, but she couldn't hold in any longer, letting the sobs run.

"Mom, Jack thinks I'm a freak! He wouldn't talk to me this morning. I felt so alone!" She buried her head in her mom's shoulder, the tears running.

"Honey, I know Jack, I know he's still your friend. He'll come around, you'll see."

Regina looked up at her mom, her eyes hopeful, wanting to believe. Her tentative voice revealed the confidence was still lacking. "How do you know? Today when we walked to the bus he wouldn't even look at me. What am I gonna do without him?"

"Sweetie, I'll bet the reason he didn't look at you is that all he would be able to do is ogle. He probably kept quiet because his brain went into stupid mode. It's exactly what you dad did the first time I met him. Brain just completely turns off. I'll bet really what happened is he thought you were so amazing looking that he just couldn't say anything." Shelby sounded so reassuring, but Regina was hoping like crazy she was right.

Regina was biting her lip, curiosity getting the better of trepidation. "Mom, how did you cope when you first started dating?" It came out kind of squeaky, part nerves, but likely physical changes already taking place.

"Nervous, Sweetie?" Regina nodded slowly. "Its natural honey. Trust me; the boys going for the first time are just as nervous as you are. Just remember, the rules are completely rigged in your favor. There still are not nearly enough beds to Process everyone each year, so you will still be outnumbered by boys. That means you don't have to spend any time with any boy that makes you uncomfortable. Just go, talk to people, have fun."

"Mom, what about dating, you know kissing, and that other stuff."

"Don't worry about right now honey. Just meet people and have fun. If something should click, enjoy it. Don't force it, because you will not enjoy that. Why did you glide? Because that's what you enjoyed, that gave you the biggest rush. Let the same thing happen in dating."

"Thanks mom. I'm hoping it won't be the worst night of my life." Regina could only manage a very strained smile, her eyes were so big, watery, but not teary. Shelby held her close for a few moments, she hated to see her child suffer so much torment, but in the end she would be better for it.

Shelby gave her a kiss on the forehead and then looked her in the eye. "Oh Regina, tomorrow night will not make or break your life. See how many boys you can put on the defensive, make a game of it. It takes almost no time at all for you to be able to use feminine wiles to your advantage. I say let them have it!" Regina's smile became genuine, and her hug was showing signs of confidence.

That night Regina had some odd dreams with her and Jack running around in circles, chasing each other, evading each other. Shelby stood in her doorway while she slept. It was astonishing how fast the changes take hold. There were so few signs of her son Reggie anymore. The person she saw sleeping in that bed was becoming so feminine so fast. Shelby wondered how long it would take Regina to realize that romance was clouding and coloring everything that she and Jack do going forward.

Shelby thought the time was right for a girl's day out. In the morning she took Regina out to the spa. Regina had no idea how good the spa could feel, though she was in no rush to repeat the exfoliating scrub. In the afternoon they picked up Steph and headed to the salon for new hairstyles, manicures and pedicures. Regina settled on a short style that was longer in front to frame her face, or that could be swept back behind the ears. Shelby was thrilled with the results; the salon with Regina was fun. Haircuts for Reggie had been a nightmare.

The girls returned home to get Regina ready. She was still feeling apprehensive, but Shelby noticed a new resoluteness about her daughter. "Honey, I have to say I am so proud of the way you are handling all of this. I don't know if I have ever seen someone adjust as well as you. I know I didn't."

"Thanks mom. I just decided that it happened to you, and you are still happy. I want to be happy, so why fight the change?" Regina felt so serene declaring it out loud. Shelby burst into tears of pride and joy.

"Oh my dear, you are so grown up! I can't believe how strong you are." Any other words were lost in Shelby's sobs and her face buried in her daughter's shoulder.

"Mom, I'm supposed to cry on your shoulder! If you keep crying, I'm gonna cry and ruin my make up!" Shelby now burst out laughing, again amazed at his incredibly rare butterfly that just emerged such a short time ago.

As she came down the stairs her dad was waiting. "My word! Regina, you look amazing. I don't care if this sends me to the couch tonight, but I think you are even more lovely than you mom was at this age!" Sure enough Shelby did throw a sharp elbow at Jerry's ribs. Wincing in pain and acting as though he had lost his breath "I stand by it. Honey I am so proud of you. And you are so strong and beautiful. Go have a good night; I know you will have a good life." Regina had always loved and respected her dad, but she was so overcome with a whole new feeling of affection. She threw her arms around his neck and gave him a big kiss on the cheek.

Regina was not sure which made her happier, her dad's affection or the absolutely stupid look on James' face. She thought maybe mom was right, she was the winner after all.

As she left the house she noticed her dad had kind of a cat eating the canary look, and wondered what he was up to. Frankie's dad had rented them a town car for the evening, allowing them to relax and arrive in style. As a boy Frankie had hated his name, but now as Francesca, Frankie seemed like a great nickname. The two girls were all chatter the whole way there. They wondered about the music, the decorations, everything. This was strictly for Yellows and Blues. There would be other dances for the whole student body, but this was reserved for helping the transitions.

Regina quickly noticed that they were indeed outnumbered by the boys. Scanning the ballroom she noticed a familiar face moving quickly towards her. Regina was not sure if she wanted to talk to Jack or not.

"Regina, I am so sorry for being an asshole yesterday. I am prepared to get on my knees right here to ask your forgiveness, but I am hoping we can go talk in the lounge." These were words Regina could hear, so curious, they excused themselves from Frankie and went to the lounge.

"Jack, when did you get your Blue Letter, and why didn't you tell me?" Regina made sure her annoyance was felt.

"I got it a couple of weeks ago, it just showed up. I figured I would wait to see what happened after your birthday. The last thing in the world I want is for those stupid envelopes to come between us." Jack's measured tone matched his concentration, trying to get this right.

"You sure seemed to let it come between us yesterday. I felt like a freak, like I was all alone." Despite her best intentions, Regina could not keep the anger out of voice, nor the tears from her eyes.

"I was an asshole, and I am so sorry. My envelope just confirmed the path I was already on, yours changed everything for you. I'm sorry I wasn't there for you the way you deserved. But can I say one thing in my defense? MY GAWD you are beautiful! How does a dorky guy like me talk to the most beautiful girl in school, even if we were best friends 18 hours before?" There was a strange enthusiasm in Jack's voice, something Regina did not understand. The hot flush her cheeks was a dead giveaway she was blushing.

"You really think I am beautiful?" She had heard him say it, but it couldn't possibly be true, could it?

"Regina McMartin, you are without a doubt the most beautiful girl in school." Jack was getting a lost, starry eyed look, which Regina assumed meant stupid mode was making an encore appearance.

"Jack!" He was spacing out again, but this time Regina felt indescribably flattered. Mom was right; it doesn't take long to be able to use feminine wiles.

They just sat there in silence for a while, Jack too afraid to say anything. Regina was happy to let him stew while she contemplated what he had said. Was it really so different with her in a dress than it was before?

"So, what do we do now?" Regina was just trying to get the conversation started again, bring Jack back to the land of the not brain dead.

"I guess we should first acknowledge that so much has changed. But, I am still your friend; I hope you are still mine. I think we should find new things for us. Let's go downtown tomorrow and try to discover things Regina and Jack can share." Jack's very warm smile confirmed that he was still her friend. She felt a happiness she hadn't felt since she got that stupid letter.

The night just flew by for Regina, Frankie, and all of the girls. They were constantly being asked to dance, offered drinks and hors d'oeuvres, and were the centers of attention no matter what they did. Regina had not met many of the Blues at her school. It seemed she knew them all now. Some were idiots, but some she would definitely talk to again.

Jack himself was struggling mightily. How could his best friend give him such a relentless hard on? After the early part of the dance Jack lost himself in the crowd, trying to make sense of his own feelings. Late in the evening he finally got over himself and decided to act.

"Regina, may I have this dance?" Regina's face showed her own confusion. They started very timidly, but at the end of the first song they didn't separate, nor after the next. It was not long before Jack had pulled her in close, she leaning her head on his shoulder. Fast song or slow, they remained like this for moments or days, who could tell?

Regina almost felt like she was still dancing when she came home. Mom and dad were still up, waiting to hear all about it.

"Jack doesn't hate me, he doesn't think I'm a freak, he told me I am the most beautiful girl in school." Regina had been softly swaying to the music she still heard, and twirled with the last part. Jerry was completely stunned by what he was seeing. He was smart enough to shut the hell up, no wise crack or dumbass remark of any sort. Shelby clapped her hands and started hopping with excitement.

Regina told them how respectful all of the boys were, how much they attended to all of the girls. She especially told them about how Jack was still her friend, and if things changed, so be it, they would find new things to share, and then how they danced and danced. Regina gave her dad a big hug and a kiss then drifted up the stairs, carried by the music only she could still hear. Jerry and Shelby exchanged very knowing, and yet very surprised glances.

Shelby followed her upstairs, giving her a bit of a head start. "So, it sounds like it was a good evening?" Regina was too lost to notice the sarcastic understatement.

"I guess I really am happy. Thursday afternoon I thought my life was over. I can't believe how far away that seems now!" Shelby thought she was beyond being surprised, but Regina hadn't come close to running out of surprises.