Night Hunt Ch. 13

Story Info
Anya finally confronts her feelings.
5.5k words
4.87
7.2k
10

Part 13 of the 17 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 06/26/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Nightcaps
Nightcaps
188 Followers

All I have to say is... I hope this was worth the wait. Enjoy!

****

The forest was eerily silent, the way it was when the birds, animals, and insects sensed danger. Especially when vampires were present. There was a certain wrongness when undead lurked in a natural environment.

Connor let out a throaty snarl. His wolf did not like having these intruders here, and neither did he. He could still sense Sam at his back, guarding the other half of the clearing. The vampires had them surrounded, hidden behind the trees. He placed each of them, marking their scent.

The one closest to him stepped out, on Conner's right. Connor swung around to face him, and Sam moved wordlessly to cover his back, attuned to his movement. He knew without looking that the elf would have her sword up, a menacing threat to anyone who dared come close.

The vampire was tall and fair-skinned with jet black hair. He was dressed casually in a T-shirt and ripped jeans. A leather choker, leather bracelets, and silver rings completed his outfit. He looked like the lead singer of a rock band - the edgy, pretty kind that drove chicks crazy. Connor decided to dub him Rocker.

Rocker grinned, flashing his fangs. His eyes were glowing, their colour a bright, steely grey.

Connor snarled, baring his own canines.

"An elf and a werewolf together... I never thought I'd see the day." Rocker sneered with an amused chuckle.

Vampires camping out in the forest... it's a day of curiosities all round, Connor snapped back, rolling his eyes. I don't suppose you'd explain what you and your friends are doing here?

"None of your business, obviously. Why don't you run along back to the Governance, where you belong?" Rocker replied, his grin turning condescending.

We're not Governance agents. Let's just say we're helping them out, for a while. You're really getting on their bad side. How many is it now... four agents that you've killed? Not a very smart move. Who do you work for?

The vampire straightened, his eyes gleaming. "Someone with vision. How much longer are you going to tolerate hiding your true nature from humans? They should fear us, not live in ignorance of us disguised in their midst. We're predators, you and I. Are you really content, wolf, to sneak into the forest to shift? To hunt only deer and rabbits? Are you sure you're fighting for the right side?"

Connor felt his hackles rise at the vampire's words. He could sense Sam's disgust, rolling off her in waves behind him. His own muscles coiled tight, ready to fight. He couldn't wait to wipe the smug smile off Rocker's face.

Are you really deluded enough to think the world will be better with us hunting without rules? You invite war, probably one without resolution for centuries. Are you really so determined to lose our balance and peace? Connor asked, not bothering to hide his disdain.

Really, did this group not have any common sense? Humans had brought with them technology and development. Life had gotten a lot more comfortable in the last few decades, not counting how far civilisation had come in the last few centuries. Supernaturals now lived in comfort, without having to do all the work.

And there was always a balance to the system, when predator and prey co-existed. Hunting without restraint was stupid, and short-sighted. Even though his kind did not feed on humans, Connor could appreciate what the Governance had done to maintain order in those that did. Not to mention, humans had all sorts of innovation in warfare. They would put up a good fight if they ever came under threat from the supernaturals. War would be long and drawn out, with catastrophic results.

Rocker's eyes narrowed. "Well... it seems we have exchanged enough pleasantries. Let's get on with it shall we?"

Connor was more than ready when the vampires made their move. All four closed in together, the three hidden vampires finally revealing themselves from their hiding places. He leapt for the first vampire's throat, jaws snapping. His teeth met the vampire's arm as he moved swiftly to block Conner. Connor bit down hard and twisted until he heard a satisfying snap. Broken bone.

The vampire bellowed in pain. Enraged, he swung out at Connor with his good arm, but Connor dodged him easily. He sensed movement on his left and crouched low, feeling air swish over his back as vampire number two's fist missed its target.

The vampires were pretty fast, and judging from their moves, they had been training. They had to have some skills, to be able to kill Governance agents.

But Connor was faster. And more experienced. He felt his wolf instincts taking over, his movements made of familiar reflexes, until he was nothing but a blur of claws and fangs. He was getting in hits, whilst dodging their attacks. Blood splattered across his fur, but he ignored it, savouring the savagery of his beast let loose.

In the background he heard the swoosh of a blade, a thud on the ground, and an implosion of dust. Sam had made the first kill. One of the vampires looked over and roared. Connor took advantage of the distraction and delivered his own killing blow, tearing out the vampire's throat. He lowered his head to rip out the collapsed vampire's heart. Two down.

The third followed a second later, as a vampire lunged at Connor, but not quite fast enough to land a blow. Connor ended him with quick efficiency, barely before the dust from the previous vampire had settled.

He heard Sam gasp behind him, and spun around.

No!

Sam had her sword lodged deep into the vampire that Connor had dubbed Rocker, but she had just missed his heart. At such close range, she didn't have the leverage to withdraw her sword. It had bought the vampire enough time to trap her.

Rocker had her by the throat with his good arm. He reared his head back, his fangs out, eyes locked onto her vulnerable neck.

Fear gripped Connor, paralysing him for an instant. Too long.

He urged his body into movement, launching himself into the air with all the strength in his powerful hind legs. He knocked the vampire back, just as his fangs punctured Sam's neck.

The three of them tumbled onto the ground in a heap. Connor snapped the vampire's neck, wincing when the vampire's fangs slashed across Sam's delicate skin as his head rolled back, unconscious. Sam grunted, pushing herself to stand. With another grunt, she pulled her sword out of the vampire as she stood. She lifted her sword and struck the vampire's chest. This time, the blade pierced true to its target. The vampire turned to dust. Connor wasn't surprised, Sam's blade was enchanted.

"Th- thanks," Sam's voice was nothing more than a throaty rattle.

Connor frowned. Sam's wound was bleeding. A lot. Was she swaying?

Sam? Are you alright?

"I'm fi-" was all she could manage before her eyes rolled upwards and she hit the ground.

Sam! Panic coursed through Connor.

Without a thought, he shifted back to his human form, ignoring the pain as his bones realigned and his skin stretched. He gasped as his organs shifted, his spine lengthening in a series of cracks. His fur melded into skin with an unpleasant, itching sensation. He knew it wasn't a pretty sight, and he was glad Sam wasn't conscious to see it.

The moment he had regained control of his limbs, he stumbled over to Sam's limp form. To his relief, he could still hear her heartbeat. He knelt down, scooping her head into his lap and touching his fingers to her pulse point, just to be sure. As with her heartbeat, her pulse felt faint under his fingers. The left side of her neck was a mess, and blood continued to flow from the wound.

Connor looked down at Sam's pale face, wondering how close to death she was. A human would have had no hope of survival. Naked, and with no clothes to use to staunch the bleeding, he pressed his palm to the wound, applying pressure to it. It would still help. He didn't dare to move her, and he couldn't leave her in this state to get help.

Would her supernatural healing be fast enough to save her? It had to be. For some reason, the thought of her dying troubled him more than it should. He'd fought alongside friends before and watched them die. It had hurt, but the distress he was feeling now didn't come close to what he felt then. He was thoroughly shaken. Why was he feeling this way about Sam? He thought he hated her.

It felt like hours passed. In truth, it was probably only an hour that passed, whilst Sam's body fought to heal itself. Finally, he felt her pulse steady. He picked her up, sheathing her sword and slinging it over his shoulder, then moved to the edge of the clearing and settled them against a tree. He sat on the grass and leaned against the rough bark, cradling Sam against him.

Her face was so pale. In the time that passed, he studied her features, taking in her long lashes, her high cheekbones, and how her lips formed a perfect cupid's bow. He watched the steady rise and fall of her chest as she breathed. However he'd felt about her, he'd always thought she was stunning.

He probably would have asked her out the first time he saw her, at Tyrus' place, if she had been any race but an elf. Then they had started bickering and he did his best to keep his distance whenever she was around.

Part of his animosity towards her stemmed from the fact that he was confusingly attracted to her. Yet he couldn't help insulting her at every opportunity. His wolf wasn't as conflicted though. It always came forward in her presence, drawn by her alluring pine and morning dew scent.

Finally, after what felt like an eternity, her eyes fluttered open. Relief flooded him. Sam locked her gaze with Connor's. For a second, he felt her draw closer to him. He held his breath, still holding her in his arms.

Then she stiffened. "Connor? What... happened? Where are we?"

"Still here princess. In the forest. You dusted that motherfucker and then lost too much blood. Your neck is still healing." He felt strange, like something had changed between them in the hour that had passed. Perhaps even before that, since they entered the forest.

Realisation dawned in her eyes.

"You saved... my life."

He dipped his head forward in acknowledgement. It had been too close. Even though an hour had passed, he was still shaken.

"I owe you, Connor."

He shook his head. "I almost didn't make it in time."

"But you did. Hey," she frowned, "you shifted! Are you naked?"

Connor felt a blush heating his ears. He'd been so caught up in worrying about Sam, he hadn't even paid attention to the fact that he was nude. He gave himself a mental shake. What was going on? He never blushed. And he was usually as comfortable in his own skin as the next werewolf.

"I can shift back if it bothers you," he mumbled gruffly.

"No, it- it's ok. Do you think you could help me up? I think I can walk." He couldn't help but notice that Sam was suddenly avoiding eye contact.

He moved her aside gently, then stood. He was sure to angle his body so that a certain part of his anatomy did not end up in Sam's face. At that thought, he found himself desperately trying to distract himself with boring, mundane thoughts. They were a little too close for comfort, and now that her life was out of the danger zone, his body was threatening to return to its previous state of the last couple of days.

He helped her up, glancing at her nasty neck wound. That was enough to shut out the unbidden images in his head. He grimaced, not liking how raw the wound still looked. Even knowing that she would likely be fully healed by nightfall, he still couldn't stop the shudder of horror that ran through him.

She winced as she got up, but was able to stand. He laid a hand on her hip to steady her, just in case. She rested a hand on his shoulder for support.

"You sure about this?" He asked.

"Yeah. If we go slow, I think I'll be ok," she answered, determination on her face.

They began walking, Connor still supporting Sam. He threw her a sideways glance, the corner of his mouth lifting. "Maybe you're not such a princess after all."

She stuck out her tongue at him. "I thought I proved that when I beat you to getting here."

"It's not always about how fast you get there, you know," he said with a wink. Wait a minute. Was he... flirting?

She opened her mouth to respond, then paused, and closed it again. He was curious to know what was going through her mind right now.

They moved forward in silence for a few meters. Just then, the wind direction changed, and a nagging scent reached Connor.

"Hey Sam? I think I scent a trail. It's pretty fresh. It must be where the vampires came from just now."

"Shall we check it out? It's what we came here for. Well, other than to get rid of them."

He took a step in the direction of the trail, but then hesitated.

"Could you wait here for a while? I'll see if the coast is clear."

Sam looked like she was about to argue that she could come along, but thought better of it. "Ok, I'll be right here. Be careful."

Connor knew it must be difficult for Sam to admit that she was vulnerable. He had a feeling she would have run headlong towards the scent, if she hadn't been so seriously injured.

He followed the trail for another eighty meters or so, until it disappeared abruptly. He frowned. Trails did not just disappear. There were only two directions the vampires could have gone. Up, or down. He crouched down and placed his nose as close to the ground as was comfortable, and inhaled. Below the earth, he thought he detected a faint scent of the vampires.

His hands probed the grass, until he felt what must have been the edges of a trapdoor, dug into the earth. It was cleverly disguised, difficult to detect with eyesight alone. He felt about until his fingers gripped a handle of sorts. With a heave, the trapdoor opened.

A quick sniff told him only the four vampires had been in this place.

He closed the trapdoor and went to retrieve Sam. She was moving faster, and looking more steady on her feet. He figured her body was healing faster now, after stabilizing her injury.

There was a wooden staircase leading down into a sort of underground accommodation. His senses told him that the place was not large, and had been the vampires' accommodation. The place smelled lived-in, as though they had settled in for at least a couple of months. Maybe longer.

Connor took a deep breath, and led them both down the stairs.

****

Anya walked down the motel corridor, her mind a whirlwind. She'd stayed with Lara for a little more than an hour, with Lara doing most of the talking. At first, Lara had grilled her about Tyrus, then urged her to explore the idea of being with him. Anya had shut her down.

Lara had gotten serious then. "I know my... leaving you hurt you. It couldn't have been easy, losing someone you love like that. Don't think I don't know why you distanced yourself from everyone after that. Can't get hurt if you have nothing to lose, can you? I watched you, Anya. Even though you couldn't know that I was alive, I still came back to check on you. As much as you were hurting, it hurt me just as much to see you become the way you were. If there was any other way, I would have stayed.

"I'm so, so sorry for leaving you. But you can't keep doing this to yourself. Life is meant to be lived, even if your heart gets broken now and then. And if it does, you'll survive. You're stronger than you know, Anya. You can't let yourself go numb to the world just because you're afraid to lose something good. I won't let you."

Lara had no idea just how spot on she had been. Or maybe she did. She was three thousand years old after all.

When Anya had thought Lara was dead, her entire world was blown apart. Sad little orphan Anya had lost the only person who had really known her, who had become her family. And it had hurt. It had hurt so bad, she didn't know how she could put the pieces of herself back together. She couldn't imagine ever going through that again, so she had distanced herself from everyone.

"Anya, you're not alone," Lara had affirmed. "You have me, and I'm never leaving your side again. And your father, he'll want to meet you. I have to bring you to him, once this is over."

Anya had trouble processing that part of the conversation. She had a father, who wanted to meet her. It didn't matter that he was a vampire, let alone a vampire king. All these years she had thought she'd been abandoned, only to learn that her father had loved her so much, he had sent her away for her protection.

"There's a big ball that King Primakov holds every year," Lara had explained to her. "It's sort of the event of the supernatural community. It's happening next weekend. Everyone will be there. All the political families from the different species, people just out to have fun, humans too. It will be the perfect opportunity to bring you in, as a guest of the ball."

Lara had started filling Anya in about the ball. Their conversation took a lighter tone as Lara began talking about the extravagant event. It was a time when all the different species set aside their differences for a night of revelry. And supernaturals were exceptionally good at scandal. Anya couldn't believe half of the stories that Lara told her. She smiled as Lara's eyes lit up, as she talked about the hookups that occurred, and the aftermath in the weeks to come.

Soon they were laughing and talking like old times, as if the last four years had never happened. However, Anya's mind kept returning to what Lara had said earlier about Tyrus. He's in Love with you. Could it really be true?

Eventually, Lara had noticed, and stopped talking altogether. "Go," she had said, "you won't think of anything else until you talk to him."

She'd denied it, of course, but despite her best efforts, Anya couldn't stop Lara from chasing her out of her room. With a sigh, and Lara's huge grin and teasing of eternal happiness, Anya had walked out the door to go look for Tyrus.

She was on her way to their room now, wondering what she would say. Timidly, she knocked on the door.

It swung open. Tyrus filled the doorway, looking so devastating that she forgot to breathe. He moved aside wordlessly to let her in, never taking his eyes off her. She nearly shivered under his intense stare. His expression gave away nothing. She had to remind herself to move her feet.

She stepped into the room and heard the door shut quietly behind her. She leaned against a wall, too antsy to sit down. He stayed at the door, leaning against it with his arms crossed. They stood, regarding each other. There was a strange charge in the room, now that they were back here alone.

Anya felt as if there were an invisible cord between them. She was hyper aware of the distance between her and Tyrus, and a strange pull that seemed to want to draw her nearer to him. Did he feel it too? Judging from the way his body tensed, maybe he did. Could Lara be right?

"You're back earlier than I thought." Tyrus broke the silence first, his deep, rich voice seeming to intensify the energy in the room.

"I'll still have time to catch up with Lara," Anya responded. She allowed a small smile to cross her face, "it's as if she never left."

It was true. Despite the four years that they had been apart, and the new discovery that Lara was a vampire- in fact, add on the big reveal that she herself was a half vampire being hidden in secret - nothing seemed to have changed between them.

"That's a real friendship you two have," Tyrus commented. She though she saw a flicker in his eyes of... longing? It was gone before she could decide if she'd imagined it.

Anya walked over to Tyrus, suddenly determined to find out. As terrified as she was of getting her heart broken, Lara was right. She had been hiding. But were her feelings for Tyrus enough for her to take the risk?

Nightcaps
Nightcaps
188 Followers
12