Nights in Rodan Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The large man pressed his whole body against her, immobilizing her against the building. Her womanly scent intoxicated him, she smelled like fresh mountain air, horses, and something sweet. His heartbeat quickened in anticipation.

Tears sprang to her eyes, she was being molested out on the street in the dark! She prayed someone would come around the corner and pull the man off of her. He pawed at her clothes, pulling at the fabric. Her shoulders were exposed now. She was determined not to let him undress her farther. Oh how her blood was boiling! She tried to wriggle out from under him but he crushed her farther against the building making her yelp. He looked carefully at her exposed skin and there it was, the hooked X. She wouldn't stop moving.

"I will subdue you" he said forcefully. "Tell me what you know, NOW."

"About what?" her voice wavered.

"This mark on your shoulder, where did you get it?", he was in no mood to play, and his ribs were smarting.

"What? I don't know what you're talking about, ", she was frantic now.

"This mark,", he pressed his thumb over it

"It's just a birthmark you ass, get off me now!" she thrust her hands upwards catching him off guard. Before he could grab her again she ducked under his arm and ran.

He let a string of curses fly. He snuck around buildings trying to find where she was going. Her panicked panting was leading him right to her. This was an easy hunt, almost not worth it for him. He thought about using magic to subdue her but decided against it, he didn't want to bring attention to himself. He cursed again, blaming Ramsey for having him out here in the first place trying to catch some girl.

And then she was gone.

He searched for an hour but didn't find her. He'd have to come back in the daylight.

He was angry at himself for being too lax. She should not have been able to get away from him. The king would not be pleased. Rayn looked back at the looming white castle and made his way back, in the dark.

Hali crept quietly home after the stranger gave up. She was watching him from the loft of the livery. She could tell by his clothes he was obviously rich, what the hell was he doing this far from the castle? It was creepy, just creepy. How had he known about her birthmark?! She shook her head as she closed the door behind her. Lukas was asleep already, the blankets covered his small body. Iny was sewing in the candlelight.

"Iny, I need you..." she was shaking.

"What dear?" She looked up, it took her a moment but she saw Leni's mussed hair and torn shawl and frowned.

"What do you know of my birthmark?"

"Your mother had one." She was confused.

"A man just tore my clothes to get a look at it....a rich man Iny. I want to know the secret you've been keeping from me for all these years."

Iny's dark eyes turned even darker.

"Iny I am serious. I have known for years you were keeping something from me, what is it?" She was starting to get irritated.

"I promised to protect you."

"I know, but why? I'm a merchant's daughter, there is nothing special about me."

Iona was silent for awhile. Leni was exasperated now.

" It's....it's not that simple. Your father wasn't just a wealthy merchant."

Leni's mouth dropped open. "What was he Iny?" she was worried.

Iona leaned in close, "He was King, my girl"

Leni's eyes went wide in disbelief at the statement. "He was..."

"the King of Rodan," Iona finished.

Leni shook her head, this was impossible, how had she not known? She recalled her earliest memories of childhood, there were few and mostly of Iona and she had always used Iona's surname, Swan to keep people from finding out she was the daughter of a merchant who had been involved in politics in the old regime.

"Did my mother really die in childbirth?" she wondered how much of her life was a lie.

"Yes, dearheart. Your father drove himself to the brink of insanity with grief." The dark haired woman shook her head sadly.

"And that's when Mollach saw his chance?" she started feeling very angry.

"They swept in, we were no match for them. They're bigger and more powerful than we ever were. Now all that's left of the resistance are the raiders."

The realization hit her like a kick to the gut.

"The raiders are the last of the Rodans?! Why would they raid their own cities and towns killing people?" she hissed. She had been under the impression that the raiders had always existed. Many Rodanians had been killed when the city was besieged, most of the inhabitants were Oneandran now.

"I imagine they're trying to hurt the royal family any way they can, It's been almost 20 years since they took over and while things are better than I remember them being in my lifetime, it still hurts to have a foreigner on the throne." Iny's lips tightened.

"Iny that man, whoever he was, knows about the birthmark. He knows who I really am." She was very serious now, and very angry. Her heart was racing.

"You need to run. I will hide Lukas from them, you send for me when you get settled somewhere."

The tears sprang to her eyes, leave her child behind? It was too much for her heart to bear. She felt like someone had stabbed her and was twisting the knife into her flesh, she clutched her hands to her chest and looked at Lukas sleeping near the fire. The tears rolled down her cheeks now, she wiped them away with her sleeve.

Iona was very serious, "Go before first light. You must get away; they will kill you if they know the truth."

She felt torn, and angry. "You didn't think I might need to know any this at some point?"

Iona sighed.

Leni went to the cupboard and pulled down Colin's old traveling bag. The soft tanned leather was so familiar to her hands. It made her fingertips tingle. The memory of him leaving with the bag slung over his shoulder and Wren at his heels was fresh in her mind. He was going bear hunting again, the rifle was in his arms. She patted her growing stomach, telling him to be careful. He'd smiled, raked his hand back through his sandy hair and winked at her.

She tore herself away from the past and opened the empty bag, loading it with food, water, and a small piece of firelog. Some people used magic to start fires but she had no talent for it. Her power was unpredictable at best, and she preferred not to use it. Iona had tried to teach her but her knowledge was limited. Not many commoners had magical powers.

Grinley had been surprised to be awoken so early in the morning. Leni pressed coin into his hands, begged him to help Iona hide Lukas and told him she needed a horse. He was groggy, and confused.

"Take whatever you need.", was his command.

She pulled her dark cloak tighter around her as she mounted her horse, and rode for the edge of the city.

She crossed the archway to the wilderness just as the sun rose above the side of the mountain. She headed through the trees for the pass with Wren on her heels. The forest was alive with life. Wren's nose was glued to the trail, but they weren't going bear hunting.

** Rayn rose early, gathered a small group of men and headed for the section of town where he'd last seen the girl. He couldn't imagine a peasant woman causing too much of an issue but he didn't want to be caught unawares as he had been last night. He couldn't get her scent out of his mind.

They started at the livery, the owner claimed he didn't know the woman's name and that one of his horses was missing, he even showed Rayn the empty stall. He knew then, she was running.

Damnit!

He sent three men back to the castle with orders to gather supplies for a few days journey and to let the King know what happened. He took Kerian, and Riley to the outer city gates. They weren't usually guarded, except lately the raiders had been unpredictable.

"Close it after my men leave, ", he commanded, "no one else leaves until we find her."

Maybe she'd be a good chase after all, internally he was yearning for an adventure like this.

"Rayn, there are fresh tracks leading to the pass, they can't be more than a few hours old." Riley reported.

"Follow them, we must find her."

They turned their horses toward the looming mountain. She just had to attempt the pass at this time of year, figures. It would be winter soon, the forest was already showing signs and the leaves were a riot of color.

He reached out with his senses, feeling for her. Some Rodans had magical powers, and every person had their own signature. He sensed nothing, she must have known they'd be coming and blocked his mind.

** Leni reached a stream crossing and took a break, she would need to pick up the pace very soon if she was going to make it to the mountain and set up a camp before dark. Ladd had taught her many things about the outdoors and how to survive, it was a good thing she listened to him, she was more resourceful than most women.

If only he could see her now, how he would have laughed at the idea of her being a princess.

She smiled.

Wren barked frantically, and growled.

Leni stood and turned around, her head felt like it was split open. She was in too much pain to even scream. Her vision blurred and then went dark.

Her side and head were pounding and sore. She tried to move but the muscles in her arms burned in pain.

She was bound.

****

I hope you enjoy this first chapter. I'm holding off on sex for the sake of character development. Don't worry, there's some in the next chapter which will be posted in a few days. :) Thanks for reading and voting!-FP

12