No Future Ch. 72

Story Info
2034: Alex and Sue attend a conference.
2.1k words
3.67
7.9k
1
0

Part 72 of the 92 part series

Updated 11/01/2022
Created 10/18/2012
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

LXXII
Ivory Towers Alex
2034

It was several weeks since Alex had last travelled outside of London. As always the exorbitant cost was covered by business expenses, although this time there was no flight across the Atlantic or toward the Far East. A train ride north from Paddington to the University City of Oxford, even first class, wasn't quite the work junket that Alex had now got used to. But he hoped there'd be plenty of good quality wine and perhaps a few class lines to compensate him for the trouble.

Alex still wasn't really sure what it was that the company on whose executive board he served was actually in the business of manufacturing, but usually that wasn't much of a handicap. Most of what was discussed in board meetings was pretty much interchangeable between one business and another. But this particular excursion to attend a seminar hosted by Professor Sigrid Smith, the universally acclaimed expert in the discipline, was a risky one. Alex didn't dare expose his ignorance by questioning his need to attend.

All the same, Alex was gratified to see that Sue from Marketing was also attending. This pleased him in two ways. One was that she would almost certainly be as ignorant as he was about whatever it was that Professor Smith would be talking about. Alex wouldn't be the only who'd have to blag his way through the day. The other reason was that she was eminently fuckable and Alex had a notion that he stood a rather better chance than his colleagues in discovering the truth of this supposition.

She was an ambitious young woman of oriental origin whose ascent from a minor marketing role to the status of one of the Marketing Team's rising stars in less than a year was almost certainly assisted by some irregular persuasion. She showed no reluctance in showing off her assets to their best advantage, although in truth there was more suggestion than substance to them. She was very thin, which in an age of generally overweight women wasn't a bad thing, and she advertised her beauty by propping up her bra and keeping open the top few buttons of her blouse. As a senior member of the Executive Board who was divorced and quite clearly available, Alex was aware that he would be the perfect target for a predatory woman on the prowl.

"South Korea," Sue said in response to Alex's almost inevitable question. "Not that I've ever been there. I've lived in London all my life."

Alex could have guessed this from her liberal use of glottal stops.

"I've never been there, either," Alex said. "So that makes two of us."

The fact that his incredibly weak attempt at humour was received so warmly suggested to Alex just how sound his instincts were on the matter of Sue's availability. He'd learned in the last several years that progress in management was actually hindered rather than helped by an intelligent sense of humour or the ability to crack genuinely amusing jokes. Anything that resembled genuine wit was immediately suspect.

"I wouldn't bother," said Sue, in what was possibly an ill-judged attempt to show that she wasn't simply the bimbo Alex hoped she was. "Life in Korea isn't so good these days now that the North keeps lobbing bombs over the border."

"Well, you wouldn't want to live in a country like North Korea, would you?" said Alex who was now wondering how to move the conversation on without exposing his ignorance about international affairs. Alex looked ahead of him while the taxi weaved through the traffic. He didn't want to give the impression that he was flirting as Sue wasn't the only one with whom he was sharing the cab. There were also two male colleagues who were genuinely looking forward to Professor Smith's seminar. "Famine. Oppression. Even plague. It's almost mediaeval. Just like Oxford itself. There can't be many cities in the world with as much mediaeval stuff in it as Oxford."

"I've never been to the city before," said Sue. "I hope the seminar isn't going to be too technical. I'm not sure I could stay awake."

Sue was saying all the right things, but Alex could scarcely admit to his own very similar fears. Maybe she guessed how little the Senior Executive knew and was showing solidarity, but Alex had to be cautious about admitting this.

"I'll explain anything that you need to know," he lied.

"When will there be an opportunity for that?" Sue asked.

Steady on, thought Alex. Not so fast. And definitely not so obvious.

"I'm sure there'll be a break in our busy schedule," he said.

The seminar was at least as boring and confusing as Alex feared. The more confusing it was, the more difficult it was for Alex to stay awake. He periodically glanced over to Sue who, like him, was near the back of the lecture theatre and evidently more accomplished than him in appearing to be alert. Occasionally his glance met hers and Alex was sure that there was a flicker of a smile on her lips.

"I think I just about understood some of that," she said to Alex when he and the many other experts and executives gathered together around the sandwiches and coffee that was laid out for them in the corridor outside the lecture theatre.

Alex had to be careful in declaring what he understood. "I'll need to study my notes in more depth until I come to a considered decision," he said. "But it was certainly fascinating."

He was in an awkward position. He couldn't be seen to be spending too much time with Sue, but he really didn't want to talk to any of his other colleagues. The risk that he might betray his ignorance to them was much greater than it was with Sue. It was an awkward dilemma best resolved by wandering off to the loo, even though he wasn't really in very much need.

It was while returning from a lavatory that was nearly five minutes' walk away that he again met Sue. He didn't believe that it was a genuine coincidence.

"Goodness," he said. "We shouldn't keep meeting like this."

This was another weak joke and a very old cliché, but precisely right for the occasion. Sue laughed appreciatively. "Are we likely to be bumping into each other at the Holiday Inn?" she asked disingenuously.

So that's where everyone else is staying, thought Alex. At least, he wasn't one of those who'd have to slum it. "I shouldn't think so," he said with a soft laugh. "I'm staying at the Sphinx. Unless you're there to sample what the bar has to offer after dinner at eight I very much doubt it."

Sue nodded and then discreetly switched the subject of conversation. "I hope the next hour or so of Professor Smith's seminar is as interesting as the first," she said enthusiastically.

"Indeed," said Alex.

In actual fact, it was considerably more bewildering. The graphics the professor exhibited on the screen might have clarified his thesis for the other attendees but for Alex they might as well have been abstract expressionist paintings. He passed the time by speculating whether he would meet Sue in the lounge bar of the Sphinx Hotel that evening. When that topic was exhausted he tried to find as many anagrams as he could from the words printed on the screen. He'd have been happier surfing the internet or doing a crossword on his laptop, but that would merely reveal the extent of his boredom.

Alex was aware that although his increasing years hadn't been kind to him, his attraction to women like Sue had actually increased over time. His enhanced appeal was almost certainly better correlated with his status as a Senior Executive than it was with any aesthetic consideration. It was reassuring that as long as he didn't fall out with anyone in the organisation more senior than him—and there weren't many of those now—his remuneration would continue to rise at a rate entirely unrelated to his effort or effectiveness. The less he did, the more he could take credit for not interfering with the achievements of his manifestly more gifted and rather less well remunerated professional staff. Senior management was more about never doing anything stupid than about doing anything clever. In fact, there was so much potential hazard in trying to be clever that the best policy was never to do anything at all.

"Fancy meeting you here," said Alex when after his satisfying four course meal and a half-bottle of wine he wandered into the lounge bar and, as expected, discovered Sue sitting on a high stool by the bar where she was sipping on a soft drink through a straw.

"I was bored," said Sue. "I remembered that you said that the bar at the Sphinx was worth visiting."

"Did I?" said Alex who in truth would never have recommended the bar to anyone. "The drinks are a bit expensive though. Would you like to share a bottle of wine?"

Sue nodded.

"Red or white?" Alex asked.

"You choose."

It was obvious what Sue really wanted. It was all part of the deal. She wanted the preferment that someone like Alex could provide that would bypass the obstacles and hazards that normally stood in the way of a talented young woman in a meritocratic organisation On the other hand, what Alex wanted, of course, was sex. The art of the exercise was to pretend otherwise.

It was also necessary that Alex should moderate his alcohol intake. This was partly so that he wouldn't say something to this ambitious young woman that could later be used against him, but also so that he'd be able to perform adequately later on without the help of either prescribed medication or the coke that he'd stashed away in his suitcase. Unfortunately for Alex, Sue was a woman experienced at the same game. She sipped her red wine very slowly and constantly tried to pass the conversation back to Alex rather than for him to let her to do the talking. Although both parties knew what the outcome of this encounter would be, the process of getting there could prove to be fraught.

Alex couldn't discuss his chequered history with women as this would compromise his position. He most certainly couldn't discuss anything related to his job as he needed to maintain the mystique associated with his considerable salary. And he certainly couldn't take the risk of discussing the seminar.

Fortunately, there was a television in the lounge bar permanently tuned to Fox News UK with helpful subtitles displayed across the bottom of the screen.

"It's certainly hotting up in your ancestral home," Alex remarked to ensure that conversation kept away from any danger zones.

"My ancestral home?" wondered Sue, with a slightly alarmed expression.

"Korea."

"Hotting up?"

"It's just an expression," said Alex who was now regretting his remark. "You can see it on the news. The North Koreans have just launched a whole load of missiles into Seoul."

"Missiles?"

Alex was really regretting that he'd not chosen a different subject. "Conventional ones, I'm sure," he elaborated.

For the next quarter of an hour or so there was no conversation between the two of them while Sue focused her attention on the screen. Alex could see that matters were serious in Seoul, although the film footage was no different than that shown for any of the other countless conflicts across the world. From the Middle East to West Africa, from Mexico to Tierra del Fuego, from Lithuania to China, it was always the same kind of news. Some catastrophe, either human or natural, that caused buildings to collapse. People running in panic. Emergency vehicles gathered around bloodied bodies. Shaky videos recorded on bystanders' mobile phones. One disaster was much the same as another.

"Do you have family in Seoul?" Alex asked sympathetically, when the news switched to a football story about Stoke becoming champions in the Premier League.

Sue nodded.

"Close family?"

"You could say that," she answered sorrowfully.

Shit! Was this whole evening going to be wasted?

"You seem to be rather upset by it all. Would you like to rest somewhere more relaxing?" Alex asked sympathetically. His hotel suite with its en-suite living room and luxury Jacuzzi was perfect for receiving visitors.

Sue nodded.

Alex inwardly cheered. He was going to get the fuck he'd been longing for the whole day after all.

"I'll bring the wine with us," he said as he stood up and pulled the bottle out of its ice bucket. "Mustn't let it go to waste."

Sue still looked troubled, but Alex knew that she no more wanted to waste her time than he did.

"Show me the way," she said.