No Longer a Game Ch. 13

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Ahira snorted, "If you and your guild are so strong the why need us? Do the job yourself. We are not assassins."

The rodent faced man leaned back again, "No you are not assassins but you are desperate for funds and I find desperate people will do anything to get what they need. As for why we don't handle the problem ourselves...let's just say we need to keep our hands clean on this one."

"Who do we have to kill?" Rain asked.

"Oh no need to be so dramatic about killing someone...or something." Linvall smiled. "I knew group of thieves had come to the city and looking to expand so naturally we don't want that to happen."

"Yes hate to cut into your ill-gotten gains." Rain added.

Linvall laughed, "I would expect that from your paladin friend not a fellow professional." The master thief leaned back in his chair and folded his arms behind his head, "Actually our profits are safe, it's my men I am more concerned with."

"Now I see...you people are deserting you to join this new group." Ahira said dryly.

"Umm...deserting no, being taken yes. These new thieves seem more concerned with taking people than gold." The man leaned forward and smiled, "You see they are vampires and from our reports their master seems intent on recruiting an army and we need to put a stop to it."

"Vampires!" Rain exclaimed and started to stand but Ahira placed a hand on her shoulder to ease her back in her chair.

"So why doesn't the city watch or even some of the temples put a stop to them?" The dwarf asked.

"Bah, the city watch could care less since the people these undead things rob and kidnap are from the slums and poor. As for the temples, they also could care less...until things get out of control. That's where we...and you come in. We Shadow Thieves have reasonability to the poor...oh no nothing as noble as you think, but people ignore the poor and the beggars and that comes in useful for us. The poor and the beggars and the slaves are good at gathering information and a few coins in their hands and they talk. People tend to ignore the poor and slaves when they talk. But if we don't act then these same people who provided us with information will ignore us since it appears we can't protect them. We lose credibility and our reputation."

Ahira nodded, "So you see a group of companions and think they are expendable. They die so who cares as long as you don't lose people. If they succeed then you are heroes to the people for hiring the right people for the job."

"And they say dwarves are thick skulled and not thinkers." Linvall nodded.

"And if we don't take the job...what? You will send people to kill us?" Rain asked.

Linvall laughed again, "Oh she is a dramatic as she is attractive. No we have a backup plan. You don't take the job you go on your merry way. We have others we can contract to if you don't do it."

"Or if we get killed you forgot to add." Ahira added with a smirk.

"Well yes there is that. So what say you?"

"We have to discuss it with our friends." Ahira told the man.

"I understand. You have three days and then we contract with someone else." The master thief told them and waved his hand in the air.

Rain and Ahira knew when they were dismissed, stood, and left the room and the tavern.

12