Norma Rogers Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I feel such a fraud, being escorted home from Ireland, then having a police escort and bodyguard."

"Better to be safe than sorry, I haven't been told everything I'm sure, but I've been told enough to believe that there is a very valid threat to you and your family, that is what my inspector told me, so I have to act accordingly."

I continued, "For today we will take the children out and let them get used to you, they love to go to the park and play on the swings, and that will let you meet them properly. I must say I could get really used to this, my mother in law had a Nanny on hand when we were over in Ireland for the holiday and she was really appreciated."

"Well if we are going to do the job properly, then we have to make it as convincing as we can."

Next morning bright and early Clara was at the door, dressed in apron and blue dress all set to take the children, who were already breakfasted and dressed. We took them out with Clara pushing the pram and walked to the station, I kissed the children, and Clara took them off to the nursery, to hand them over to her opposite number there. Then she went back to the house to give Hank a hand with the baby, and of course Nancy, who despite just giving birth a few short hours ago, was chafing at the bit to be up and looking after Hank and the baby. No matter how often I told her to enjoy the rest while she could, she kept insisting that she was fine. Clara was also going to be keeping an eye on the street to see if there was any activity. Then people wonder why all the British have net inner curtains, how else could we see and not be seen?

When I walked into my office, my assistant looked up. "Thank heavens you are here, I just got a message that an inspector from the Ministry of Health would be here this afternoon for a snap inspection."

I wasn't thinking as I said 'I expected it to be quick but not that quick!"

She looked up at me with a quizzical look on her face. I thought quickly, "I was told before I went on leave that there was going to be an inspection in the New Year, I didn't say anything as I wanted them to see the station as it always is, ready for anything and not polished up for an official visit."

"Oh I see; I'm glad you didn't say anything as everybody would be running around for the last week polishing and painting."

"Yes I know, now; what has been happening while I was away."

She told me what had transpired during the three weeks, mainly transfers of patients, there had been no more bombing, so they had quite a peaceful time. The authorities were allowing limited lighting at night, so driving was much safer, but most in city ambulance calls were being handled by the regular Fire Service ambulance crews, as they were before the war. Later in the afternoon, Mr. 'Gray' came in, accompanied by an assistant, and performed a very convincing role as a Ministry Inspector, before asking if we could speak privately in my office. This time it was me sitting behind the desk and him in front and I started the talking. "Now Mr. Gray or whoever you are, isn't it time we laid our cards on the table and cleared up any misconceptions?"

"Yes, you have well shown how trustworthy you are, and your security clearance couldn't be higher. For a start, I am Peter Richards, and my primary employer is Military Intelligence, Section 6, we deal with external threats such as spies."

"Finally, I get to hear something that sounds like the truth. Why did you begin to use me?"

"It was because of your connection to the Rogers family by your marriage to Jim. Your name was passed on to us from a very high level, as somebody who could possibly be used as a contact with them. Your father in law is well known as a moderate in Ireland, and it is very useful to be able to get messages to him if needed. As for your mother in law, while she is known as a firebrand on Scottish nationalism, her patriotism to Britain as a whole is beyond question, so it is very much to the country's advantage to have your informal contact with them."

"They are my extended family, not contacts to the Irish or Scottish nationalists, certainly not to me; I didn't want this role in life. I'm just a simple woman who wants her husband back home and her family happy."

"Norma, in times such as these, responsibility comes to the person who can do the job. It can be sought after, but more often than not, comes as it has with you, by accident. Your meeting James that night set in motion a train of events that will continue throughout your life, some of which have played an important part in fighting this war. You describe yourself as a simple woman; you are anything but simple, your exemplary ambulance work alone has shown that, both in practice and in your teaching of others. On top of that you have become involved in intelligence work, hopefully not too deeply but one can never tell what is going to happen."

"The film that you gave to Commander Philips contained an excellent assortment of German documents and military positions, and also a copy of the document recovered from the Russians. We can tell from it, that we do have a highly placed leak in our intelligence office, and a quiet investigation has started. We honestly don't believe that there is a danger to you from the Russians, but it could put you in some danger from the Germans, who seem to believe that you are extremely influential, so our security measures are going to be a part of your life for a while. Speaking of the Germans, what was your impression of Captain Von Ansel?"

I told him what had happened and what words had passed during our meeting then continued with what I felt. "Compared to our first meeting that night in Dublin, I think that Rudi has undergone a tremendous shock to his beliefs, and a complete change in thoughts, first through his experiences on the Russian front, his wounds, and worst of all, that people he trusted and believed in, treated his family the way that they did, and just left them to die. I can't help but believe that his family has become the most important thing in his life, and he sincerely wants to help end the war as quickly as possible."

"We checked the information that he sent us on film, and part of what he told us corresponds with information that we are getting from the French Resistance, so it gives us checks and balances. As you are well aware, we are putting together the forces that will eventually be landing in Europe. Knowing where the various German units are will help us to keep them away from the landing areas, so his information is very valuable. We owe you a debt of gratitude, as we don't think he would have talked to anyone but you."

"No I don't think he would have."

"Well all that we would like you to do for the present is what you have been doing all along. The training is going to be increasing, and we still want you to look after your station with a good deputy. While we don't see it happening soon, we may have to send you back into Ireland to contact Captain Von Ansel."

"With the bombing being sporadic, the way that it has been for the past year, do we really need to be that prepared?"

"It is extremely important that we keep up the training. This can go no further than this room, but in the information that Von Ansel sent, he mentioned that while he was in Berlin at Luftwaffe headquarters, he heard that the Germans have several super weapons in development, and an extremely fast fighter that will be hard for our pilots to shoot down. We can't let our guard down for a minute. Even though our forces are doing well in Italy and the Russians are pushing the Germans back, we still have a long way to go, and lots can still happen. The worst thing we can do is let our guard down on any front."

After chatting a little longer and asking if I had heard from Jim, he left, and I called my deputy into the office, to warn her that we would be increasing training, and asked her to work out a schedule with the ARP and Home Guard to have joint training sessions.

A few days later, I got an example of how the intelligence section could work fast at times. In a surprise call, Hank was ordered to report to SHAEF headquarters. He left home looking quite concerned, to draw a jeep and drive to HQ. He got back late at night with some surprising news. He reported to the duty officer there, and was taken to see an aide to General Eisenhower. He was told that he was wrong not to have declared his status as the Senators son, and would not be allowed to take part in the invasion of Europe. As Hank put it, "They don't care if I get killed or wounded, what they care about is that they don't want me captured, as that would put big pressure on Dad. Now I'm to report to the U S Army hospital at some place called Cheltenham, and they are putting me in charge of the ambulance services to all the US forces hospitals in the UK."

Nancy was quick to jump in, "I hope you don't want Henry and I to feel sorry about that, at least I'll know that you are safe and I won't feel like Norma looks every time she sees a telegram boy, thinking that he could have bad news for her."

"No, I don't, No matter what my own feelings are about not being a part of the invasion, I can see the reasons easily enough, and Dad doesn't need the pressure of me being a POW to handle, as well as all his responsibilities. One good thing though, at least I'll be able to live off base so we can get a house in the area, it is a country area so we won't have to worry much about bombing. Nancy, I hope you are ready to hand in your helmet and uniform, and be a wife and Mom."

"That is what I was going to do anyway, it just adds to the excitement that you will be home every day, and I won't have to wonder what is happening to you." She just walked across to where he was sitting, sat on his lap and put her arms around his neck and smiled as she kissed him. Much as I was used to seeing their shows of affection, I was a bit jealous of her luck, and again began thinking of Jim being thousands of miles away. God but I missed that man, why couldn't he be posted at home so we could be together? I could feel the tears starting to form and slide down my cheeks, so to hide them I went through to the kitchen and began making tea until I became more composed, and then took some through to them.

"Nancy, we've been together since the bombing began back in 1940, I'll really miss you, Hank and the baby. I won't have you to cheer me up when I'm feeling down and lost.

She smiled at me. "I'll only be at Cheltenham, it's not like I'm leaving the country, not yet anyway, it is only a couple of hours by train, and I'm sure that we will be coming into London once in a while. We always knew that once I married Hank I would eventually be leaving, and it isn't as if we were moving to America yet. We'll still be able to see each other, and it will make room for Clara too."

"Oh I always knew it would happen, but I'm really going to miss you. Clara is nice but she and I haven't been through anything like you and I have and that has been a big bond for us."

Hank interjected, "Hey Norma, what about me, are you going to miss my smiling face too?"

"Yes Hank, I'll really miss you too, and all the coffee that you have been supplying us with, we will have to go back to the grim reality of rationing and the thought of eating horsemeat or whale meat doesn't thrill me either."

He smiled, "Gee, that's all that I get remembered for, just as you Brits say, 'cupboard love' that's it. Loved for what I could put in the food cupboard."

Nancy nudged him, "Well, you did ask, but I'm sure Norma thinks better of you than that."

I could hardly keep a straight face. "True, for a Yank he isn't bad though I had my doubts that first day I met him, maybe working with us straightened him out." Then I gave up and started laughing. We ended up sending him round to the Dog and Duck to pick up some beer and the three of us had an impromptu party to celebrate Hank's new job and incidentally his promotion to Major. As he put it, it would be difficult for a mere Captain to tell ambulance unit commanders what to do.

A month later, their furnished house found and rented, they were off to the wilds of Gloucestershire where Hank was now stationed. There were promises to keep in touch, and to write each other regularly, and so we did. Nancy called once in a while, but I really missed her at work as well, so I threw myself back into it doing a lot of training, getting ready for the eventual invasion. A lot of our work was going to be handling casualties from the ports to the hospitals. Between the training, writing back and forth to Jim, Nancy and now there was Penelope Phillips who wrote such interesting letters, that I began to feel that we had known each other all our lives.

Winter began to turn to spring, a spring with some hope in the air. Most of the men one saw on the street were in uniform. There were regular lorry convoys from Euston Station as arriving American and Canadian troops travelled from Liverpool to London and were taken to camps in the south. Eventually in mid May 1944 travel to the Republic of Ireland was banned, and civilian access to coastal areas in the south was restricted to emergencies only. Jenny had talked to her mother and found out that soldiers were camped in all the parks, in the ditches beside the roads, anywhere where there was space, then on the morning of the 6th of June, Jenny's mother called the station in great excitement to ask me to tell her that all the troops had gone during the night. I also got instructions to call the Ministry of Health and I was told that Allied troops had landed in Normandy that morning so we could expect casualties at any time...

My instructions were that my detachment of volunteer ambulances was to work between the Royal Naval Hospital at Haslar in Portsmouth, and the London hospitals. They were to carry the more seriously wounded from the initial treatment hospital to other hospitals, where treatment would be continued. I ran things from the Station, but I kept several ambulances back. It was fortunate that I did, as a few days later, the first of the V bombs to hit London exploded in my area. Eventually it was just like being back in the blitz except the V 1s could come at any time, day or night, and regardless of weather. The explosions were much bigger than a normal bomb, killing and injuring many, and forcing many people from London. The scariest part was the sound of the engine, as long as it was running you were safe, but when it stopped you ducked into the nearest shelter. Even worse were the V2s that followed, they made no noise, came straight down and made even bigger explosions. Mum wanted me to leave the children with her, but she was in just as much danger as we were, and in truth I couldn't bear to be parted from them. They remained at home with me and Clara until suddenly; I had to return to Ireland.

It was early on a quiet day in October, at around 8 am, I was in my office with a coffee, reading the Times, catching up on what was going on in Europe when Peter Richards, my Intelligence contact came into my office in a hurry. "Norma, can you drop everything and go over to Dublin? Maybe set up a meeting with your in laws in Dublin to explain the trip, we need you to see Captain Von Ansel if you can."

"Why? Isn't Rudi being looked after by Charles?"

"Yes he was, but the police believe a man, supposedly a malcontent with the IRA, thought he was saving Ireland by shooting any Englishman and Charles was his choice. I don't know whether to believe that or believe that the Germans were somehow involved. Charles was seriously wounded and is recovering in hospital in Dublin, so he can't contact Rudi. We need some important information regarding the launch sites for the rockets and Rudi may be able to get it."

"Charles was shot! Does Penny know?"

"Yes, she is over in Dublin now, she is staying in the Gresham and going to the hospital every day. If you want, you will be able to meet her as we have booked you into the same hotel."

"How do I get there this time?"

"We are trying to make it as quick as possible. You will be flown from Biggin Hill to RAF Aldergrove on the outskirts of Belfast; a car with a Dublin licence will be there waiting for you and you can take the coastal road to Dublin and the Gresham. You will make contact with Rudi, then if he gets you the information, you drive back to Aldergrove and you will be flown back to Biggin Hill. Contact Von Ansel the usual way by putting a message in the window of the newsagents. He usually picks up his tobacco there around 4 pm each day but Sunday."

"What about my children, what do I do with them?"

"WPC Higgins will look after them and we will bring your mother in from Bromley to look after things overall. Now telephone your mother in law then go home, and pack for at least a week, your driver will be outside."

He gave me a letter for Rudi, then left. I went to my deputy's office, telling her that I had to take a trip and would be away for at least a week, and on walking out of the station I found a car and a WAAF driver waiting for me. She saluted and told me that she was to take me home, then take me to Biggin Hill. In a matter of minutes we were parked outside my house, where I changed into slacks, told Clara where I was going and called Mhairi and asked her to meet me at the Gresham the next day. I packed, then hugged and kissed the children, telling them I had to go away for a few days.

Fortunately by now with all the training trips, they were used to me coming and going so would behave well for Clara and my mother. Then we were on the road to Biggin Hill where the driver showed a pass at the gate, and took me to the main offices. We were met by another WAAF and she took me into the main building where she introduced me to a flight lieutenant. He had me dress in a flight suit, as he put it, "This flight is going to be damn cold." The suit, the smallest size they had still fitted me like a loose coat, and I still had to turn up the sleeves and the bottoms of the legs. I felt stuffily warm, but sat quietly against the wall, alongside the door.

I heard a vehicle pull up outside, and a man in a flight suit rushed in, almost hitting me with the door as he passed. Stopping in front of the officer's desk he growled, "What is all the hurry, Gordon and I got a message to get over here immediately, that there was an important flight to Aldergrove, and we have to ferry some MI chap over there and back. Do the powers that be realize we are flying fighters on important missions, not ferry pilots? Looking at his broad back and listening to his voice I had to smile. Andrew wasn't in the best of humours, something I had heard many times as we grew up.

The Flight Lieutenant pointed over at me, and as Andrew turned around, I said, "Well if you don't want to fly me, I'm sure that there will be a nice young officer around here that I can convince to do it."

His eyes opened so wide they just about popped out of his head. "Sis, what on earth is going on? What have you got yourself into now? Does Jim know what you are doing?"

"No he doesn't, just as I don't know what he is doing, but as I'll tell you, it is because I married him that I am doing it. I have to get to Ireland as quickly as I can."

He turned to the other officer, "Well Jack, as this lady is my sister, there isn't another pilot on the base that I would trust with her, so I guess we will see you sometime."

The Lieutenant replied, "According to the mission orders, you have to wait at Aldergrove until your sister gets back there, and then fly her back here."

Andrew turned to me, "So I'm to have a few days in Belfast am I, you know your sister in law won't be too happy with me, especially since she is having your second niece or first nephew before too long. I know she would never forgive me if I let any harm come to you."