Not Just for Christmas Ch. 01-04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Who cooks for you Mike? These are delicious!" exclaimed Claire between mouthfuls.

"All my own work I'm afraid," he replied. "I fend for myself here."

When the four of them finished eating and sat back satisfied, Mike stood up.

"Time to move back to the living room and get to know each other a little better." So that is what they did.

Claire sat on her preferred sofa. Mike sat in 'his' chair. Shania asked to put the TV on for Ryan, and found a programme suitable for him. Mike gave her a set of wireless headphones so the little one could watch without disturbing them. Ginny cuddled against her mother and fell asleep again. Shania sat next to her mother on her other side. He smiled at her protectiveness of her mother and was sad she had to feel so responsible at her age.

"I don't know how to thank you enough for helping us like this. We'll be going tomorrow. Get out of your way." Claire was twisting her hands together, eyes cast down.

"Where will you go? Have you relatives to go to?"

There was silence.

"I thought not."

"I have two brothers," she ventured. "Both my parents are dead. One brother is in North Scotland. He lives in a crofter's bothy, one room. The other brother hates me and always has. Gary's family don't like me."

"What happened to you?"

"It's Dad," interrupted Shania. "He beats mum up when he comes home drunk. Sometimes he knocks her about when they have a bust up. Last night was the worst. He laid into Ginny as well when she tried to stop him. After Dad fell asleep, Mum packed for us and we left very early this morning. We couldn't take much stuff with us. If he finds us he'll kill us."

Claire said nothing. She looked as she had when Mike had first seen her, pale, apathetic and vacant. A tear started and ran down her cheek.

"Claire," he said.

No reaction.

"Claire!" A little louder.

She jumped and came back to them.

"Claire," he continued, "do you have any money? Any access to money?"

"No Mike."

She paused as if she thought she was traducing her husband but it was the truth. "Gary keeps all the money. All the accounts are in his name."

Mike looked at the two of them and knew they expected nothing from him. He knew they had their pride but he knew also that they felt they were in a cul-de-sac.

"Has it been going on long? This abuse I mean?"

"Since I was little," interrupted Shania again. "Mum put up with it because of us."

"Shania!" Claire was embarrassed.

"Well, mother!" Shania exclaimed. "Mike doesn't know us. He doesn't know where we live. You can be honest. God, mother, he's taken us in hasn't he?"

Claire was about to speak and then stopped. Mike knew what she was thinking.

"OK Claire," he began. "Now you're wondering what my ulterior motives are for inviting you here."

She began to protest, but he held up his hand. "No, listen. You have a right to know. Your children are here under my roof.

"Last summer after four years of marriage, I came home one evening after work to find my wife had gone. All her clothes, all her perfumes and stuff from the bathroom. Not a trace of her, apart from what she'd left in the wash basket, most of which Shania is wearing. There was a note. Very brief. It went something like this:

Mike, you bore me silly. I've left you. I've found an interesting bloke. He's good in bed. Get over it. I'll be divorcing you. I don't want anything from you. I've got enough money and he's loaded.

"That was all. Nothing since. Cheryl hasn't looked back. She did divorce me. I didn't protest. She was as good as her word and didn't ask for anything."

"You poor thing!" With all her own troubles Claire was sorry for him and he was touched.

"Not so poor, Claire. She was immature, never satisfied. Always wanted more than I could give her or could do for her. Marrying her was a mistake but I was too besotted with her to realise it until she went.

"So I'm on my own in this huge house that I built because she wanted it. Even this wasn't good enough for her.

"So now I'm very well off. I own my own company; I built this house and automated it to my own design. I've more money than I can ever use and I have simple tastes. Cheryl was probably right, I am boring. I must say I've often felt lonely over the past six months, but I've buried myself in my work and I have good friends and family.

"Just having you all here for this short time has convinced me I could do with some company at home, instead of coming home to an empty house every night. It would be good to have a family round the place, that's something neither the house nor I have had up to now.

"So I want you to stay here Claire. Stay at least until your bruises have healed and you have found some way of surviving financially. There need be no limit on how long you stay. You'll know when and if it's time to go. There are locks on all your doors so you can feel safe here."

Claire sat in silence, looking into space.

Shania shook her arm. "Mum, say something."

She looked up and into his eyes. "I still don't understand why you would want to do this."

Mike must have looked amazed, for she carried on, "I mean, there's nothing in it for you is there? We'll be messing up your life."

Mike continued to stare speechless at her. Then he found his voice.

"Claire," he said, "I spent four years with a woman who could only see self-interest in her own life. She couldn't credit anyone with enough commitment to just help other people out because it's a good thing to do; that it's better to give than receive.

"She couldn't grasp that, but I rather think you can; in any case it doesn't matter. My offer stands: you can stay as long as you need to. I want to help because I can. I need nothing 'else' from you, you understand my meaning here?"

Her eyes filled with tears. "I'm sorry, I'm not used to such kindness."

"Just learn to accept it. I've got a house, you need a house. I've got money, you need money.

"Your children need their mother and you said yourself you're scared they'll might be taken away from you. You want to be there for them. Your children need your love and you want to give it.

"It so happens that at present their needs can be met by allowing me to look after you. I mean caring for you and your family, nothing more. Let me do this because it's good and it's right and my reward is to get a family for a while. Believe me, you're safe here and you are doing me a favour."

She nodded. "I'm sorry, yes I understand. Thank you."

"Good," he replied. "Tomorrow we talk some more."

"Can we put the sound on the TV?" asked Shania. She saw the discussion was over and she had already moved on. Claire frowned and looked to Mike to see his reaction.

"Shania, treat this house as your home. If your mother doesn't mind, of course you can watch TV. I have a desktop computer but it's set up for my work. I'll organise some games for you if you like, tomorrow."

He left them to watch what Ryan had on and made his way upstairs. It was a sneaky thing to do and if he was caught they would really think he was a pervert but he had an idea. He went to Claire's room and looked at her clothes and underwear and made some notes. Then the same for Shania. What a name! He didn't think he could carry on using it much longer and he wondered about Sían as an alternative.

Next he got on the phone to Catherine, his sister. It would be before midday in New York. Her plane was not until six. They talked about his new family and she asked questions and made her promises, though she complained that Christmas Eve was not ideal for shopping at such short notice, with a plane to catch. In view of his new visitors she told him not to meet her but she would take a taxi. She was excited at the prospect of meeting them.

When he returned downstairs they were watching 'A Christmas Carol'. He went to the kitchen and filled bowls with nuts, crisps and spicy biscuits. Bringing them in he refilled Claire's glass with the remains of the wine and sent Shania to refill the children's glasses.

After the film finished he got out a games compendium and they played games until it was time for Ryan to go to bed. Claire told Ginny to go as well. The young girl protested but not too strongly: it was obvious she was worn out after the ordeals of the night before, and of the day. Claire took Ryan up and bathed him in her own suite. After about half an hour she brought Ryan downstairs.

"Ryan wants to say goodnight," said Claire, and the boy ran to him and climbed on his knee, giving him a tight hug.

"Night night Uncle Mike," he said.

"Goodnight Lad!" he replied though he found it hard to get the words out, he was so touched by the boy's trust and love.

Claire was all smiles at his emotional state and winked at him with her good eye, which looked comical. The boy climbed down, hugged and kissed his big sister and taking Claire's hand led her away 'for a story'.

Shania kept her eyes firmly on the TV screen but Mike could see she was smiling.

When it was time for Shania to retire, Claire said she would go too. It had been a long day for them all.

"Goodnight Mike," Shania said with a grin.

"Don't be cheeky Shania, it's Mr Stewart to you," scolded her mother.

"It's OK, Claire. It is my name," he said.

"Nevertheless it was cheeky." She scowled at Shania who had the grace to look guilty.

"I did tell her to call me Mike while you were asleep. Is that OK?"

"I suppose so," Claire said, allowing a smile to cross her face.

He stood and faced her. "Come on!" he laughed. "Goodnight hug!"

Claire stepped forward and they embraced briefly and said goodnight. She smiled shyly at Mike, coloured up, and once again there were tears welling up in her eyes.

"Come on, Shania," she said briskly, breaking the embrace to cover her feelings. "I've unpacked your stuff. You can change into something your own size!"

Mike toured the house locking up and setting the perimeter alarms for the house and garden, washing up and setting the table for breakfast. He went upstairs and knocked on Claire's door. When she opened it, he warned her not to open any outer doors or windows and he gave her his second mobile phone.

"To make you feel safer," he said. "My other mobile number is on there, or you can use the house phones. Your number is three, and mine is two." He turned and left to avoid giving her the discomfort of shutting the door in his face.

Since it was only ten o'clock he decided to read for an hour before turning in. Mike slept naked so he undressed and put on a dressing gown. Then he had second thoughts and donned a pair of loose boxer shorts, adding the dressing gown before settling in his armchair, lit only by the reading lamp by his side.

He heard the movements and talk cease, went to bed and slept the sleep of the just.

Chapter Two

Catherine arrived at the front door at seven thirty, her flight having arrived early thanks to the jet stream, and the baggage service being unusually efficient and speedy. Mike was up and ready having disabled the alarms. He did not want the doorbell waking anyone in the house. Brother and sister hugged each other in silence and he helped her in with her cases. They went to the kitchen where he made her a cup of tea.

She took her tea into the living room and unpacked one large suitcase. It was full of presents for Claire and the children.

"You've no idea how difficult it is to shop on Christmas Eve, even in New York! So many crowds! You've also no idea how expensive all this lot was, even with the good exchange rate! Thank God they have wrapping services! I was late to the airport and nearly missed my flight. And the charge for extra baggage at the airport! Phew!"

He murmured his appreciation, promised she would not be out of pocket and they put the presents under the tree.

"Now I want a shower and a rest before the house erupts!" she said.

"You'd better use my bathroom. The sound won't carry. I'll wait down here."

They took her bags to her room and he returned downstairs. After a while he heard her go to her room and an hour later the house began to come to life. The family stayed upstairs but there was much to-ing and fro-ing and conversation.

Mike began to prepare breakfast and then heard steps on the stairs. They entered the living room and then stopped. Then scurrying and cries; the younger children had found the presents.

He went to the door from the kitchen and enjoyed the sight before him. Ginny and Ryan, with the speed and alacrity children have when faced by presents on which were written their names, had already ripped the paper from some of them and were exclaiming over the games and toys revealed.

Shania had more decorum and was less speedy, but joined the two youngsters. She was entranced with the clothes and trainers she had unearthed. "Cool!" was her only comment though her face spoke more volubly.

Claire was standing in the doorway her mouth agape. She saw Mike and began to speak. There was not much sense in it.

"Mike! What? How? So many! Sizes? How did you? Where did you?"

"Father Christmas!" shouted Ginny.

"Well, Ginny," Mike said, "Father Christmas works on Christmas Eve. Perhaps this was one of his helpers? In fact I think I hear her now."

Claire spun round and looked shocked as Catherine arrived. Was that disappointment on her face?

"Claire," he said. "I'd like you to meet my sister Catherine. She got in from the States this morning."

The two women smiled at each other warmly. Catherine looked startled at Claire's face, while he was sure Claire looked relieved.

"These are from you?" asked Claire, gesturing toward the tree.

"From Mike really. I just found them, bought them and brought them for him."

"But the sizes? How-"

"I think I'm about to be in trouble!" Mike admitted. "I crept upstairs last night and got the sizes from the labels on your clothes. Phoned Catherine who bought them for me. Useful her being five hours behind us."

"But so late on Christmas Eve!" exclaimed Claire to Catherine. "How did you do it?"

"With great difficulty, but believe me it's worth it to see them." Catherine gestured toward the smaller children and the grinning Shania.

"I'm very sorry to have looked at your clothes," Mike said to Claire. "It was the only way I could make sure you would have a real surprise."

Claire smiled at him, "It's clear your intentions were good. I'm sorry about not trusting you more after you saved us yesterday; I should have known better."

He shrugged, smiled and that was over.

Ryan brought Claire's parcels to her, and she sat down and opened them.

She gasped at the quality of the clothes - a dress, a coat and some underwear. She blushed. "I must go and try these on!" she exclaimed and ran upstairs.

"Me too!" said Shania excitedly, and followed her. There was a pause while the younger children were absorbed in their presents and were playing quietly.

"I see what you mean about the abuse Mike, but you've fallen on your feet here," said Catherine softly. "Under those bruises she's beautiful and so is her daughter, and you have a ready-made family - just what you've always wanted!"

Mike grimaced and she laughed, but she was right, he was happy with the family living there.

There was a flurry of movement and the mother and daughter both appeared at the door. Claire was wearing her coat which fitted quite well, but when she shrugged it off, the dress was perfect and she knew it. Not just the fit but the way it set off her rich auburn hair.

For the first time Mike was able to appraise her figure which the dress hugged comfortably and adhered to every one of her contours. She had a medium bust, a narrow waist and wonderfully rounded hips. She twirled and he saw that her bottom was tight and rounded, balancing her top in perfect proportion. Nice legs. She was a classy woman.

He smiled. "It fits very well; it's very pretty and suits you perfectly." He let the ambiguity about her personal beauty stand.

"The underwear is gorgeous but this is all you get to see!" she flirted with a twinkle in her eye. Her lop-sided smile was captivating and her face became beautiful instead of merely pretty in spite of the bruises and swelling.

Then it was Shania's turn. The clothes from the USA enthralled her. They too suited her well. Her smile was simple and unpretentious. She was once again a simple teenage girl without any responsibility or worries for her mother.

Mike set the wood-burning stove, lit the gas poker and soon the logs were burning well, giving additional heat to the living room and the flames throwing a warm flickering glow over the room. Outside, the weak low sun cast long shadows of the house over the garden. Mike was glad he'd thought of ordering a truckload of logs in view of Catherine's arrival. Since Cheryl's departure he had not bothered with the stove. Indeed he rarely had used the living room, preferring his study and its plush reclining armchair.

The turkey was already in the oven and cooking, and Mike busied himself taking the chef's role, leaving Catherine to talk with Claire. They already seemed to have become natural friends.

The meal was a success, Mike had to admit to himself, and in the late afternoon the family played board games. Mike told them that the evening meal was a matter of 'serve yourselves'. He left the food out in the kitchen.

After the children had gone to bed, Ryan clutching his new teddy bear, and Ginny taking her book, Shania retired to the study to play on the computer and send emails to her friends, crowing about her new clothes.

Mike brought out the port and put on a CD of Christmas Carols. He put more logs in the stove. They all relaxed into the easy chairs and sofas and sat in silence, enjoying the warmth of each other's presence.

Shania went off to bed at eleven, and the adults relaxed.

After a while, Claire broke the silence, "Thank you both for a wonderful Christmas Day. Yesterday I was homeless and had nowhere to go. And today, well, I've never had a Christmas like it. How can I ever repay you?"

"Don't start that again," Mike snapped. "We're not in the business of payment here. Just for once just take."

Claire flinched.

"Sorry," she whispered and looked shame-faced.

"Sorry Claire," he was instantly repentant. "I didn't mean to snap. It's been a busy day; I must be tired."

"I'd better go to bed," she said and hurried away.

There was a silence. Mike knew Catherine was going to teach him something. How do you know when your older sister is about to teach you something? Well, she's your sister.

"Mike."

Here it came.

"Yes."

"Go easy on Claire."

"I'm trying. She keeps on about repaying me, about not having any money to pay me."

"Mike, she's got pride in herself. She's got dignity. She feels uncomfortable because she's powerless. She's been kicked around. For God's sake, Mike!"

"Oh, Hell!" The epithet sort of summed up how he felt. It must have been the port.

"Well, go on!"

"Go on what?"

"Go and apologise properly."

"She's gone to bed."

"GO!"

He went.

For the second evening in a row, and there had only been two, he knocked on her door. When she opened it he saw she had been crying. He gathered myself and launched.

"Claire, it was very wrong of me to snap at you. I admire your self-respect and I understand how you feel about depending on me for the time being. Please accept my apology. After your recent experience you do not need any aggravation from me. Am I forgiven?"

She looked at him in shock.

"Forgive you? What for? You've been so good to us and all I can do is moan. I just feel so uncomfortable accepting all this and being unable to repay you. I'm just a little over sensitive at the moment."

"So you forgive me?"

"If you need forgiving, yes, I forgive you. I'm not used to getting apologies."