Nothing is Ever What It Seems Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Jack was getting impatient.

Within a month of starting out as a rookie, she had not only charmed everyone, but she proved she was also a serious attorney in the making. Even the senior partners have sung their praises of her.

After Jack had won a particular high profile case, the client had thrown a party in his honour. The client had insisted on inviting everyone involved in the case and had personally invited the associate. She had been an asset on the case, and for once, Jack had openly given her credit. Jack took her with him as his escort. There were a few surprised looks from the others when he chose not to take his wife, but no one dared say anything. In their eyes, it was obvious he was fucking the hot intern.

Jack had taken her around, introducing her to everyone that mattered, proudly showing her off. By the end of the night, a little tipsy and horny as fuck, Jack had decided to take her back to his place. He had whispered and slurred the words to his driver, not wanting the little minx to know of his plans.

He ushered her in the car and immediately she knew trouble would brew. Throughout the night, he had barely kept his hands off her and his touches were on the verge of indecency. Jack closed the divider, separating the driver from them. When the car started, Jack turned to her and grinned, his face expressing his every wicked intention. He moved closer to her, backing her towards the other side. By now, his body was touching hers. Jack leaned even closer and started to whisper all the things he would do to her. His hands drifted to her thighs, pushing the dress up. She had tried to push his hand away, dissuading his desire with words of discouragement.

Jack wasn't even aware of her discomforts. In fact he liked it when women played games with him and pretended they were a little reluctant. It made the chase more thrilling.

However, in his usual narcissistic behaviour, he didn't know or care that her reluctance were genuine.

"Jack, please, no..." she had said in panic.

"Yes! Baby, you want this. No need to act modest now. Come, I need to fuck you so bad. You're so fucking beautiful." He said hungrily as his hands reached her panties. He was about to rip it off.

"Jack, NO! please. I don't want this." she said as she covered her hands with his, trying to move it away.

"Come now babe." Though his tone was light, there was an obvious warning to it, "YOU want this. You want this so much you're going to spread those beautiful legs for me. I know these past few months, you've been trying your best to seduce me."

"Jack, NO-"

"Listen, you dirty bitch," He said, no longer in the mood for seduction, "I'm sick of your games. Open your fucking legs." Without warning, he ripped the slit of her dress.

In a panic, she pushed him away. He fell onto the floor of the car with no resistance. He was so surprised that he hadn't seen it coming.

In her state of panic, she had shifted and, in the process, stepped on his hand with her stiletto.

He screamed in pain, quickly getting up.

"You FUCKING bitch." He shouted his eyes wide and his breathing erratic. He stank of alcohol and cigarettes.

She glared back at him, "I said NO you ass hole!" She said jabbing her fingers in front of his face.

She leaned over and banged on the divider, "Stop the fucking car NOW!"

The car abruptly stopped and the door opened automatically. She pushed past Jack to exit the car. He didn't try to stop her- he was tired and drunk. Before she left, he warned her, "If you leave now, you'll regret this."

But she was already picking up speed and didn't even look back at him.

She had the whole weekend to consider her next move. Jack Carter was a creepy fuck and a very cruel man. She had heard as much through the grapevine. He knew she would no longer be his "favourite" and he'd make sure she paid.

But then again, she was sure he wouldn't dare do anything straight away. He may slowly nit-pick and use it as an excuse to get rid of her. For now, she was an asset to Carter & Stone and was well-liked. Though in the beginning she had used underhanded methods to get the job, she had proved herself and knew it must be enough to keep her job for now. She knew he couldn't dismiss her just yet. By the time he had enough excuses, she'd be off.

That was the plan...

...that failed miserably.

Because Jack Carter lived by his own rules. He was used to doing whatever the fuck he liked save from murder. Come to think of it, if he was to murder anyone, he could probably get away with it.

She knew something was amiss when upon her arrival, instead of the reception girls smiling and greeting her sweetly like usual, they ignored her, frankly picked up the phone to dial a number, and avoided looking in her direction. As she walked into the main office, people in their cubicle avoiding looking at her, and just before she was about to enter her own office, 2 guards stopped her

"We're told to watch you pack your stuff. Then you may be on your way out."

She didn't contest. She knew the reason.

She packed her stuff, feeling her cheeks redden, as she noticed all her fellow colleagues trying hard not to stare at her. The security guards left the door open at the request of "management." No 1st year associate had ever had an office before. Not even the ones Jack Carter had fucked before. It was obvious her departure would make a lot of people happy.

Just as she was nearly finished packing, Jack strolled past her office. He swaggered into her office, as if he were king.

He placed his hands on her desk and stared at her from the opposite side. His back was to the audience. She knew the whole place held their breath at what would happen next. On Friday, she had been his companion to an important event- now she was fired three days later.

"Honey, honey," He whispered, making sure no one could hear the endearment, then his voice rose, making sure everyone heard the rest of his speech, "I hate to let you go. We thought you were an asset to our firm..." She opened her mouth to retaliate but he placed his fingers on his lips and narrowed his eyes at her as a warning. "But you embarrassed our firm. The way you conducted yourself on Friday..."

He didn't say any more and left. All of her colleagues were staring at Jack's retreating back and then at her. They then quickly went back to work as if nothing had happened. One of the associate who was a 3rd year, Jason, slipped into her office and whispered that if she needed anything, he would be there for her. He was her friend prior to this whole fiasco. He never judged her when he knew she was using underhanded methods to get the job.

He was the only one who had even dared to speak with her. Everyone had pretended to not know her. How different this was compared to a few days earlier when everyone wanted to be her best friend.

As she waited for the lift carrying a box of her belongings, she noticed that the two security guards had left her side. She turned to see Jack Carter beside her.

He looked straight ahead, but she knew he wanted to speak with her.

"You know you're a very clever girl-"

"I know."

He chuckled sarcastically, "But you overestimate yourself. You thought you could play games with me? I only gave you a chance because I knew I'd have a pussy to fuck and a smart enough one to work for me. You're not the only intern to try and fuck her way to the top-"

"I didn't have to. You were falling over yourself to hire me. All I had to do was pay you some attention and already you were hooked. I never intended to fuck you," It was her turn to laugh mockingly at him, "You wouldn't have even got a hand job from me!"

He turned to look at her now, his eyes narrowed. She knew she had got to him, "You fucking bitch," He hissed, "I'd make sure you won't make it anyway as an attorney. No one would even hire you as a paralegal." He shook his head, "No, I'd make sure you wouldn't even be hired to work in the mail room in any law firm. You can go back to what you're good at- opening your legs and lying on your back-"

"I will sue you for this." She hissed back.

"For what? For hiring a girl who I fired because she was incompetent and had tarnished our Friday-"

"-Everyone knows I didn't do that!"

"Didn't you?" He laughed, "Whatever you say, it's your words against mine, do you think someone would believe an associate? Besides who the fuck would dare represent you? Sue me all you fucking want- your lift is here. Try not to embarrass yourself further."

When she went inside the lift, she finally let the tears fall. She had remained confident and carefree in front of Jack Carter, but now she feared for her future.

Stop crying! She berated herself. She hated losing control. At a young age she knew the importance of success, and had planned her life meticulously to reach her goals. She thought she had achieved success and could not believe Jack Carter was her downfall.

She had underestimated him.

Or so she thought.

Two weeks later, Jack found a filed coversheet and complaint in his office. It was a case brought against him and Carter & Stone. That was when the nightmare began.

He was boisterous and confident in the beginning as he thought the case was a complete joke. It was clear pretty quickly that Morgan & White was serious in representing the girl. He knew this girl had connections. If it wasn't for who she knew, It would've been damn near impossible for their rival firm to take the case on, especially as a pro bono. And he knew exactly who her "connections" were - Ryan Harris and maybe that meddling cunt, Jared Valentine.

Jack had kept a low profile afterwards. He had to keep things under control and decided to quickly settle out of court. He paid a hell of a lot amount to settle the case. This pissed the shareholders off and Jack was worried he'd be voted out as managing partner soon.

For now he had to prove himself invaluable to the board and those who held the voting right. He had done a lot for the firm, but he wasn't sure if the subsequent pay-out could offset his tainted reputation caused by the lawsuits.

It was Ryan Harris meddling that had caused this.

It was Hallie's fault too.

He knew Harris had a thing for his wife. He was helping the bitch to ultimately spite him - revenge for not having what was his, Jack thought angrily and illogically.

A punishment was long overdue for his dear wife.

But first, Ryan Harris would pay for fucking with him.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Hallie hadn't laughed for such a long time. Brad had stayed the whole weekend and spent time getting to know his nephew and niece. She could tell from the way Brad was with her children that he desperately yearned for a family of his own. He had happily wolfed down the food she cooked and had paid her many compliments. It wasn't that she needed the attention or for anyone to say how great she was. But it felt nice to be appreciated by her family. Jack and even her own parents never hesitated to pick at her faults.

Brad came around for dinner every night since. Hallie wasn't sure how to tell him, but she knew Jack would likely be coming home soon and she needed to let Brad know he couldn't come around any more.

He patted his stomach after eating his main of creamy fettuccine with asparagus, crispy pancetta & parmesan main. "You really do spoil me. Hals. These past days with you guys, I think I've definitely gained forty pounds."

She chuckled, "No one force fed you 4 servings!"

"What can I say? Compliments to the chef!"

Hallie smiled, but it was a forced smile.

Brad couldn't help but notice that today she seemed to be on edge. The last few days she had been happy and chatty, but something seemed to be bothering her. During dinner she had picked at her food. Normally, a lover of food, Brad knew Hallie would have happily wolfed it down.

She kept her head down, looking at the tempting dish beckoning her to eat more, but she found she couldn't stomach the food. She was scared and the words that Brad shouldn't come around were on the tip of her tongue.

"Uncle Brad, my mommy is the best cook. Everyone loves to come and eat at our house. Daddy is the only one who doesn't really like mommy's food," Alex interjected.

Hallie tried to cut him off, "Alex-"

"Alin and Jared love mommy's food, but not as much as Ryan. Ryan is the best. But he doesn't come see us any more. I think it was the pillow fight I had that upset him or," He turned to Hallie, "Mommy, did you and Ryan have an argument? I saw last time you and-"

"No we didn't honey. Eat your food it's getting cold."

Brad looked at Hallie and saw her uncomfortable expression. Kids were great for telling the truth unintentionally. He knew Alex had hit the nail on the head and Hallie was desperately trying to cover this up.

"Hallie is everything okay?" He asked when Alex busied himself with his food.

"Yes, everything is fine, why'd you ask?"

"We're family, Hallie." He shrugged. "I still know what those little flicker of emotions crossing your face mean. You were a lot happier-"

"Brad, I make sure I raise my own children rather than a nanny doing it and I go to school. I have a husband who demands perfection... of course I'm not as happy as before. I was 19 and carefree back then. Now I'm just a little stressed. But don't get me wrong I know how lucky I am. I don't have to also work and I have a husband that loves me. "

He gave her a look that said he didn't believe her.

Hallie kept talking to explain herself because she wanted to convince him that she was indeed happy.

It was after a few minutes did she realise she was going on and on and doing nothing to convince him. In fact all he did was ask a simple question and she had defended herself with all that she's got.

Finally, Brad lowered his voice and said, "Is everything okay with you and Jack?"

Hallie didn't need this right now. Why did everyone feel it was their right to tell her what to do and constantly remind her of her relationship with Jack?

It hurt. Every single time someone uttered those words and rolled their eyes at her stupidity for staying with him.

She knew those closest to her wanted what was best for her. But they didn't understand why she did what she had to do.

She couldn't tell anyone. She didn't want the judgement or even for anyone to get involved and make the matters worst.

Jack would never allow her to leave.

"No, we're great. What gives you the idea?"

Brad hesitated but finally he said, "I've heard a lot from other people. Hallie, he's being messing around with interns for a long time, I'm sure you may be aware of this, but this time someone sued him over it. Really, he's-"

"Stop, please don't say any more! If you can't be civilised and have respect for my husband, your brother, then I don't think you should come anywhere near my family." Hallie said as she pushed back her chair.

He held out his hand stopping her, "I'm sorry, Hallie. You're like a sister to me. I want to see you happy," he shrugged helplessly, "and I guess if you say you are, I'm happy for you. If there's anything, please do come and talk to me. I may be a reformed alcoholic, but luckily nothing is damaged as yet. I'm still very clear-headed. God knows how I managed that."

"I'm sorry, Brad. But trust me I'm okay." She said and changed to topic swiftly.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

It felt good to win a case. Jack had ripped the prosecutor's case and any so-called new evidence they had produced. Even before his closing statement, it was obvious he had this in the bag. This was a high profile case and many had cast doubt whether Jack could argue it to a win.

Jack was good at what he did and liked nothing more than being involved in a difficult case. Challenging cases gave him a rush of adrenaline and thrill that nothing could come close to it.

Winning this case was a walk in the park. Winning any case was easy for him. He was ruthless and a rule breaker - witness intimidation, tampering, suppressing evidence and document dumping, anything to win a case.

Some knew his unlawful methods, but had little evidence to back up their claims. Those that worked directly for him knew of his ways, but all were fiercely loyal. Part of the reason he knew he had to settle quickly with the intern was because she had known of his unconventional methods in winning a case. Though he knew she had little evidence, it was still trouble he'd rather avoid.

After whoring and gambling with his client as a celebration in winning the case, Jack was on the next flight back.

When Jack got back home, he heard laughter and food cooking. He wasn't in the mood for Hallie to entertain her friends. He was tired and he wanted nothing more than to fuck his wife before falling asleep.

Jack tolerated her friends because some of them had been his casual fuck. The toleration did not extend to Alin. He hated her because she was a stuck up bitch and had always rebuffed his advances. Any women that had the honour to be his newest fuck should be ecstatic to be chosen. In his eyes, Alin was a slut and he didn't know why she could fuck so many people but never him.

Come to think of it, Jack thought it wasn't such a bad idea if her friends were indeed here. The more the merrier... if her friends wanted to join in when he fucked his wife, they were more than welcome to. Although he knew Hallie would never do that. She was boring as fuck... although that gave him an idea. Maybe.

She didn't have to be willing. When he wanted something, he would get it.

Jack had not allowed Hallie to invite anyone he didn't like into his house. Any of the friends that he deemed unattractive, he was actively rude to them and had kicked them out of his house. If he could drive all her friends away and made Hallie even more subservient to him, he would try every trick in the book.

However he was very wrong. There in his house, lying on the floor, playing with his children was his dear brother. The second person he hated the most after Ryan Harris.

"What the fuck are you doing in my house?!" Jack bellowed.

Hallie hear Jack's loud voice and quickly ran out of the kitchen, not caring about the cooking food. Jack was back earlier than she had expected. Hallie had guessed he'd be gone for at least a week for the case and maybe a few more days to whore around. It was always how he was when he was away. He never called to tell her where he was or when he'd come back, so Hallie would always have to guess his whereabouts and clear the scene before he got back. Since he didn't like almost all of her friends, except the ones he was sleeping with.

"Jack..." She gasped.

He turned and looked at her and Hallie was suddenly very afraid. Jack had been angry with her in the past. She had been the receiving end of his abuse, but never had she seen him look at her like. He was angry, possessed and mad. She could see the fire behind his eyes.

Brad got up from the carpet, abandoning his game of soldiers with Alex, "What is wrong with you?"

"'I'll ask you again" He said dangerously patient, "Why the fuck are you in my house?"

"Jack, I'm sorry," Hallie rushed out before Brad could say anything to anger him further, "I invited your brother for dinner today. I just thought because the kids haven't met him at all and... Jack, I'm sorry."

"Hallie, why are you apologising to him? Why are you-"

"Brad, please leave." Hallie said to him, pointing towards the door, "If Jack wants you to leave, please respect him in his house. He's your brother!"

He snorted in disgust whilst shaking his head, "Hallie..." He started but then stopped himself, and instead turned towards the door to leave. As he left, he saw a smirk on his brother's face.