Oedipus and the Sphinx

Story Info
A new twist on an old Grecian legend.
3.8k words
4.52
48.1k
19
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Sweat was starting to drip from his brow as Oedipus slowly climbed the final hill. Partially it was because of his long journey through Paranassus in the hot Grecian summer, but also because of what he might find the other side. The closer he got, the more anxiety he felt. It had been a long time since any had come this way, and the warnings of the travelers he had met on his journey here kept replaying in his mind now.

He reached the top and paused to look down the other side, breathing deeply from his exertion. At the bottom, lay the sprawling magnificence of the city of Thebes. The turrets and walls rose high, and her flags fluttered lazily in the summer wind. She was quite picturesque in this mountain setting, and would be a welcome sight normally for the weary traveler, but even from this vantage point, he could tell something was wrong.

He looked around warily. The rocky outcropping that shouldered the path on the way down appeared deserted. The insects were buzzing in the early afternoon sun, the birds sang, and the leaves rustled in the trees. It seemed to be a normal, ordinary, lazy Grecian summer day. But normally this road was full of travelers coming to and from the great gates below, and Oedipus could see they were shut tight today. Indeed, Thebes had been shut tight like this for a good few weeks, and Oedipus could practically feel her despair wafting up on the wind to him. He knew the people inside her walls were suffering from the inability to have goods come and go. And he knew why.

He shifted the walking staff in his hand and tossed his long, golden waves of hair out of his face. He had come a long way for this moment, and his heart was thudding fast his chest. He knew she was out there, somewhere. Probably watching him from the rocks, waiting, hoping he would come forward. He had heard the gruesome tales of the monster descending in a flurry of great wings, terrifying all that beheld her, and taking up residence outside Thebes. A creature so terrible and evil that she played with her victims before causing them to die a slow, agonizing death and devouring them.

The tale had been so fantastic that it intrigued him to the point he wanted to see for himself. But if he continued, he knew that would be it. He couldn't go back. Only a very few had ever survived to tell the country about it, and he figured that it was only because she and the Gods themselves had let them. Allowed them to flee not so much as to warn others about it, but more to spread the word of Thebes' shame.

He wasn't sure what Thebes had done to warrant having such a terrible punishment, but he knew they needed someone to come and save them from their curse soon before the entire city perished. As the Prince of Cornith, he had a duty to protect the weak, and since he had first heard the tale while wandering through the mountains, he had decided he had to come and try. Oedipus sighed heavily. It was not as if he had anything left to lose, after all. He himself was plagued by a chilling prophesy to murder his father and marry his mother, and upon learning it, he had left his beloved family and kingdom in part to spare them from his fate. If he did not survive this, perhaps his death would come as some relief.

He started down the other side of the hill, his deep blue eyes darting back and forth. His hands clutched his staff as he walked slowly. His feet were aching terribly, as they had never fully recovered from the cruel treatment they had received when he was a baby. They were ugly and twisted, and he used his staff for support. He had worked hard growing up to make allowances for this during his military training, and he had become quite skilled with using his staff as a weapon as well as a crutch. Which is why the rude man and his ten slaves had all fallen on the road before him a few days earlier. Even wild beasts knew better than that fool had to approach him, despite his seemingly vulnerable appearance.

But at the moment, he was feeling rather unsure of himself, for he had never killed a monster before, and this one was fabled to be part human, part beast, and endowed with an incredible intellect that embodied the knowledges of both.

As he moved, he became acutely aware of how silent the air had become. The insects had stopped their cacophony, and the birds had ceased to sing. It felt as if all of nature had stopped to watch him, and it unnerved him. He scanned the rocks and listened hard for any sign of inhabitance or an ambush.

"Halt."

Oedipus nearly jumped out of his skin and swung his staff into a ready position. The disembodied voice had drifted over the rocks to his right. "Who commands?" He demanded, "Show yourself!"

The rocks were silent as he waited for an answer. Then he suddenly heard the crack of a few small stones skittering against the slate, and a woman's head appeared not ten feet from him. Then from behind an enormous pair of slate blue wings, and suddenly a golden leonine body as she hopped up on a rock. Oedipus held his breath and stared in disbelief. The human skin was tanned and smooth, paling a bit at the large breasts that heaved bare and full on her broad chest. The skin blended neatly into fur along her shoulders, and the black hair was a thick and flowing mane. The face was inequitably lovely. Her lips were full and red, and her eyes were deep pools of amber, both unnerving and alluring at the same time.

He got into position prepared himself for battle if she came forward. She did not seem interested in attack, but merely lowered her body to the rock and wrapped her tail around her haunches as cats do when they are intent on showing you just how much you unimpress them, and regarded him with lazy curiosity. Oedipus lowered his staff a fraction. "I know you. You are the Sphinx, scourge of Thebes and the devourer of men."

She smiled at him. "That I am, and your flattery is most pleasing, young lord." Her voice was deep and smooth, almost calming to hear, but Oedipus knew it must be part of her unearthly magic to lure victims.

He readied his staff once more "How did you know my status? We have never met, past or present, for I surely would have remembered a creature such as yourself."

"I know more than most, and your meager dress does not disguise your carriage." She said simply, eyeing him.

It was true, Oedipus was wearing little more than a drape around his shoulders to keep the sun off and little else due to the heat. He blinked at the tone of her voice, and was confused by her relaxed manner.

"I do not have the time nor patience to trifle over my clothing, monster." He said, "What business is it we have to discuss?"

"The business of your passage, young lord. Your trespass has been noted and needs to be addressed." She smiled most ferally then, revealing a set of sharp fangs.

"Trespass!" Oedipus said, outraged "Arrogant and unclean creature, it is you who have trespassed upon Thebes! Not only denying her people the right to their road, but to their lives as well! You pollute the ground you stand on and foul the air you fly through!"

"Such noble words of bravery, I am impressed. But still is the matter of your trespass. I am not so heartless as to deny you your chance, however. If you can guess my riddle, I shall set you free. If you do not, you shall join those that came before you."

"If I refuse?"

"You shall join them immediately." She said this as if she were discussing nothing more than the weather.

Oedipus could see that he would indeed be no match for the monster in combat, and hoping to outrun her was impossible. "How long do I have to answer your question?"

The creature twitched the tip of her tail and glanced briefly at the sun. "I shall give you until sunset."

"Fine. Ask your riddle, monster."

"What walks on four legs in the morning, two in the afternoon, and three in the evening?"

Oedipus pursed his lips slightly and breathed through his nose and thought. He remembered playing riddle games growing up in the palace. This was certainly a difficult one. After a few minutes he shifted his weight again painfully on his feet. He needed to sit.

The Sphinx eyed this and said softly "If you wish, I invite you to come and sit with me in my lair. You can rest out of the sun, and a small stream runs behind it to quench your thirst."

Oedipus glared at her. "Truly you must think me a fool to make such an offer."

The Sphinx shook her lovely maned head "If I thought you a fool, I would not have bothered asking my riddle but torn you to pieces immediately." Oedipus could feel his cheeks flush a bit. That should have been obvious.

"You have expressed your wish to kill me, for what reason by the Gods should I consider your words?" He asked.

"You have chosen to accept my challenge. Why would I ask it if I did not wish to see you try to answer?"

"I do not form habit of questioning monsters and their thirsts for blood games." Oedipus said bitterly.

She tilted her head back then, laughing, full and throated. Her wings fluffed a bit at the gesture and her generous breasts shook with the effort. Oedipus started to redden in anger, when suddenly the errant thought of what it would be like to touch her flitted through his mind. Wondering what that golden fur felt like, and the soft looking feathers on her massive wings. He shook himself out of the thought however, as she was rising again. She turned and hopped off the rock in front of him, ignoring his sudden attack stance with the staff. She looked at him expectantly as she passed in front of him and started walking through the rocks. Oedipus hesitated a moment, weighing the wisdom of his actions, and followed.

Her lair was a crevice between several large, sharp jagged boulders that had fallen together to create a shady retreat. He finally accepted her entreaties to drink at the stream nearby, and she allowed him to enter the lair first, and then followed. To guard the entrance, he realized. The inside of her lair was cool and pleasant, as there were small cracks in the rocks that allowed air to flow through and it was obvious this was a creature that was very concerned with her own sense of comfort. She settled down in front of the entrance and stretched out luxuriously.

He settled on the soft sand that covered the floor. At least it was clean, not like a lion's den that was usually filled with the bones of whatever they had killed.

They lay in silence as the heat of the day encroached on them and passed. She seemed to doze while he pondered her question, but he knew she was not asleep. He ended up watching her, absorbed in how such a monster could be so horrible and so lovely at the same time. The breeze ruffled along her fur and hair, and her face was as soft and sensual and human as any maiden's. She was only the size of a large man, that seemed surprising to him. He had expected a creature so terrible as to keep an entire city as great as Thebes in a state of terror would be much larger.

She opened her eyes, "You're expression is most interesting my lord, and I suspect it is not due to my riddle. What perplexes you?" she asked.

"You. You're a horrible creature, yet you fascinate me."

"How so?" she asked in amusement.

"Your body is that of a lion, and wings of a bird, surely a thing could not be so, yet here you are. You're either sent from the heavens or crawled out of Tartarus on your own."

"You flatter me. You are quite fascinating yourself. You show heroic bravery I have rarely seen displayed anywhere, and I've never had one of your beauty pass by me, for I would have definitely remembered that."

"Now who is flattering? I'm not sure what magic you weave, for if it is not tied to your exotic nature, I would never have come to rest in your lair. I keep thinking it suicide, but so far you have proved honorable in your word. This confuses me further."

She did that full throated laugh again that echoed off the rocks, "Again, why would I bother to ask anybody a riddle if I didn't want to see you answer it? There is no pleasure in that. Unless you intend to forfeit and try to fight me."

"No, I will answer your riddle before the day is out. But you are distracting me. I find myself more wondering what your pelt feels like than your question."

She smiled wryly at him, "Then, I should give you a sporting chance, should I not? Why not find out for yourself? I'm sure you will not be disappointed." She rolled a little onto her side and stretched out even more.

He leaned and put his hand tentatively on her golden side. It was smoother than lion's fur, and ran silky under his fingertips. He watched his hand rise and fall with her breathing before sliding it up to touch one of the folded wings. Soft as owl feathers, so she could fly silently. He moved from the wing up to her shoulder, touching the bare, olive skin.

She looked very amused at all of this, and her eyes moved from watching his hand to his face. Cat's eyes, deep, hypnotic, and exotic. He boldly slide a finger up to caress her cheek and a low purr came from her throat.

"You must have traveled long, young lord." She said.

"Why do you ask?" he said.

"Because you look almost as hungry as I am."

She moved a paw gently to rest against his thigh, and true enough, she had inspired his passions so much that he lay thick, and hard, and aching.

His hand slid down and he cupped one of her full breasts, and she shut her eyes in bliss, the purring increasing. He was wholly fascinated by this, pulling his roughened fingers over the tender bud in the center, hardening it under his touch. It wasn't long before his other hand followed, and soon he was lifting and kneading both her breasts together. They were soft and supple, and he weighed them gently in his palms, deciding he had never seen another pair quite like this on any woman before.

She reached out slowly with a paw, which was not quite like the paw of a lion, and not quite like a human hand. Each digit was tipped with a sheathed razor sharp talon, but her touch was like velvet as she ran it down his chest. His golden skin jumped at her touch, and she caressed him with tenderness, even though he could feel the immense power lying in reserve in her limbs. Inside, he warred with himself as one side reminded him this was an unholy beast, that had coldly murdered and eaten the flesh of many men, and was planning to do the same to him by day out. Then the other side, the argument was not so coherent, but an insane thirst for something wild and forbidden that was just as strong as his rationale.

She moved to press her lips to his. Her breath was surprisingly sweet. Perhaps she had been chewing on the wild mint plants that grew in the rocky terrain. Her tongue flicked out and ran along his bottom lip and he sighed. Her mouth trailed from his lips to his chin, nipping lightly. He could feel the sharp canine teeth brushing his smooth skin, but never making a scratch. Something about having something so dangerous tenderly running her tongue over his flesh frightened and excited him. It was absolute madness, but maybe not such a bad way to die!

Her paw ran lower, drawing more sighs from him as she the softness of her paw soothed and intensified the ache in his erection, and making him moan and writhe. She stroked him like that for several minutes, and he ran his fingers through the undersides of her wings, which she seemed to like immensely, judging by her appreciative growl.

Next thing he knew, she was on top of him. She was surprisingly light, and planted her paws on either side of his shoulders. Her tail curled around one of his thighs as she settled herself, and his hands came up to embrace her and press more of that velvety body against him. He could feel the softest part of her, slick with arousal, brushing against his ridged erection. The sweat beaded on his brow as he lay back, and with a gentle rocking motion, he felt himself slide along and sink into the tight wetness. She felt wholly human there, and she tightened reflexively around him. She moaned, and the noise was almost unearthly. He stared into her eyes as if he could see all the secrets of the Gods within them, and he knew if he managed to survive, he would see them in his mind late at night for the rest of his days.

He picked up his pace, thrusting up into her as far as he was able. They kept up their caresses, touching anywhere and everywhere that pleased them. He moaned into her mane, clutching her to him and she gripped him back gently, breathing ragged. He buried his face to her breast and sucked one into his mouth, nursing the pleasure for all he was worth. She hissed, and the sound skittered over his sensitized nerves. She rocked against him gently, stroking him, pulling him to the breaking point. She shuddered all over suddenly, the quills on her wings rustling with the movement, and her face if possible became even lovelier with her lips parted and cheeks flushed, as with any maiden in the throws of ecstasy. She gave a roaring cry that tightened his body and vibrated up his spine. She teased his thigh and sides with her feathers, and he drove his hips faster until he finally gave his own cry of release. In the blinding light of stars he saw behind his eyelids, the Answer hit him.

They held still for a moment, looking for all the world like a strange, erotic statue. He slowed and stopped moving, and then finally slid out of her. He moved his face from her mane to find her looking off almost absently, lost in her own thoughts. She looked down at him and they stared at each other for a long moment. The only sounds were that of the buzzing crickets in the brush and their deepening breathing. Words didn't seem adequate, or appropriate.

She finally raised herself and moved off of him wordlessly. The shadows were lengthening and he knew it was nearly sunset. The afternoon was cooling, and she stepped out from the entrance of the cave. He dusted himself off and pulled his cloak back into place before picking up his staff and following her back to the road. The shadows were deepening even further in the twilight, and the world seemed hushed and quiet now, waiting to see what transpired next. She sat in the middle of the road, between him and Thebes, and he took his stance in a face off in front of her. Again, they wordlessly stared at each other. Her expression was closed now, distant. He looked into her eyes then, and saw a predatory coldness. The part of her reflecting her partial humanity had seeped away into the calculating look of an animal. He knew then she would eat him if given the chance. She was a monster. Beautiful, deep, with many facets, yes, but still a monster, and Thebes could no longer suffer under her shadow any longer. They kept their non-threatening stances, but tensely. The moment finally come. "Have you guessed my riddle?" she asked. "Speak now, and prepare for your death."

He clutched his staff. Straightening his shoulders, he said, "I have. The answer is a man. As a babe, he crawls on all fours, as an adult, he walks on two feet, and when he is aged, he leans on a staff."

She stopped moving in shock. A peel of thunder sounded across the sky even though there were no clouds, and a gush of wind blew the leaves around them. It raised the hackles on his neck and the hair on his arms, and alarmed him considerably. He readied his staff, but the Sphinx did not come for him. Her face contorted and she suddenly hunched over, wings strained and shivering from obvious pain. She gave an unearthly cry of agony that sounded half like the roar of a lion and the scream of a woman.

Oedipus was on guard, every muscle taught, staff raised, "Monster, what is happening?" he cried.

"You have guessed my riddle," she said. "You have broken my power." Her face lifted and suddenly, she seemed grotesque. She seemed to have aged several decades, the color and youth gone from her face. The glint of gold was gone from her fur. The wings slumped ragged and torn, and a feather slid slowly from it's place to lie on the rock.

12