Of All the Girls in Lagos Ch. 01

Story Info
Old friends meet and get friendlier despite deadly odds.
2.8k words
3.6
8.7k
1
0

Part 1 of the 7 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 03/09/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Banks stared at the African woman clad only in a piece of loincloth around her waist, her breasts hanging off her torso like pawpaw fruits as she was bent over, scooping water from the stream in front of her. After a minute's consideration, Banks touched the undersides of her pregnant belly with a brush to make it look even heavier. She wore colored beads around her arms and a pair of dangling ear rings made of shells. It was almost life-sized and a side-view painting. He heard the door into the studio open and turned to see Andy enter with a brown bag that had the shape of the bottle inside it.

"WOW! This is a copy, right? Damn! Boy, you've gotten really good at this!" Andy exclaimed on seeing it.

Banks smiled and turned to continue staring at the life-size painting on the canvas, still wet from his brushes feigning even more concentration than he had in that moment. He was especially proud of this one. It'd taken him two back-breaking days to get it all out of his head and onto the canvas.

"I thought you said it was going to be a beautiful girl taking a bathe in a stream surrounded by nature."

"I like this better. African Arts Press is going to do a review on it. Maybe a few galleries will be interested too." Banks replied.

"Or you sell it to your mom. I'm sure she has a client who deserves a nice business gift." Andy said in his characteristic bit-joking, bit-serious manner.

Banks dropped his paint brush in a basin of multi-colored water on a table next to the canvas-heavy easel. He walked to the sink on the far side of his painting studio to wash his hands. "When did the girls say they'll get here?" He asked, turning again to look at Andy.

Andy had taken out the bottle of Grant Whiskey from the brown paper bag and was carrying it to the refrigerator at a different corner of the large art studio. "I thought I'll meet them here. Chika texted me while I was yet at home that they are on their way."

As if on cue, they heard a knock on the door which opened and the two girls entered. They both could've easily passed for sisters, even though they were only cousins. Both their mothers were twin sisters. Chika's parents still lived in Port Harcourt while their daughter had moved in with her cousin Jennifer who lived with her own mother in the city of Lagos, where they both schooled. Jennifer was more cultured and sophisticated, but while Chika was prettier, she was born in the largely middle class city of Port Harcourt, and as such lacked the sort of refining her cousin had.

They both wore body fitting evening gowns. Jennifer had a jacket on. Chika had a hand bag while Jennifer held a simple burberry purse. "Hey guys!" Jennifer exclaimed. Then she saw the painting on the easel and got excited. "Oh my god! Banks, this is awesome!"

Chika meanwhile frowned at Banks. She turned to Andy. "Jenny, can you imagine we were in a hurry to get here? Banks is still covered in paint!" She said glaring at Banks. Banks laughed her off and began putting away his equipment.

"He's a guy, he can be ready in five." Jennifer replied quickly on his side as usual. "But is this painting cool or what? Somebody buy it yet?" Jennifer asked Banks.

"Nobody has even seen it yet. I don't think i'm done with it either. There are certain ideas I'm still mulling over..." Banks said.

"Guys! The mall closes by ten! The place won't wait for us! Jennifer and I still have lots of shopping to do for tomorrow's decorations and stuff!" Chika announced.

"Then we go to Crash." Andy said. The first he opened his mouth since the girls entered the room.

"No! Too noisy! How about that bar we found about a month ago? I loved that place." Jennifer said.

"Well, this is seven-zero-five already! P.M! And you all know I don't like hurried shopping!" Chika said, drawing everyone back to her topic.

Banks turned his back at them and rolled his eyes in quiet exasperation. He took off his t-shirt to reveal tight back muscles and a body well-toned at the local gym. His jeans hung to his hips as he walked towards a makeshift office further inside the art room. Jennifer averts her gaze and smiled shyly when she noticed Chika and Andy watching her stare at Banks body disappear past a doorway with amused, knowing looks on their faces. Jennifer blushed fiercely.

***

Banks darted out of the lounge bar into the light drizzle and ran to his Mercedes convertible parked at the lot outside. He was wearing a white beanie over his head, a gray t-shirt and a pair of blue denim trousers and black all-stars on his feet. He unlocked the convertible with his car remote and jumped in behind the wheels. Night had long fallen. Banks turned on the engine and the car's headlamps come on. He reverses out of his parking spot.

"Banks wait!" It was Jennifer's voice. Banks turned to see Jennifer hurrying under the rain to meet him. He stepped on the brakes and leaned over to open the front passenger door. Jennifer entered the car and shut the door after herself. "I'm glad I caught up with you. I need a lift home! It was either I catch up with you or I find myself a cab, and you know how much I hate taxis." Jennifer said, brushing drops of rain from her clothes and shivering for a bit.

Banks shrugged. "Let me guess, Chika and Andy decided they would go to the club after all."

"Yes! I had to leave my car with them."

"Okay no wahala," Banks replied and drove out of the compound.

About twenty minutes later, the rain was now pouring. The convertible drove slowly along the wet road. They were both quiet and watching the road ahead. Soul music playing over the car speakers and the low hum of the car engine were the only audible sounds. Banks threw her a quick glance as he turned off a major road into the street that ran through her neighborhood. "Is something the matter, Jenny?

She met his gaze briefly. "No, I'm fine! Why?" She asked.

"Well, you seem tense. Uncomfortable. Like something is bothering you."

"Nothing is bothering me."

"You're rarely this tongue-tied. We haven't said a word to each other since we left the bar."

"Banks... fine, but conversations are a two-way thing. You haven't said a word to me either, so forgive me if I don't speak out of turn."

"Out of turn!" Banks frowned. Suddenly, she'd sounded upset, Banks noted. "Okay, what is this about?"

Silence.

Banks pulled up by the curb of the street just outside Jennifer's mother's house.

"I appreciate the ride, Peter." Jennifer said, gathering her purse and making to alight. She only called him by his first name when she was pissed about something. He'd known her long enough.

"Jenny wait." Banks said. He grabbed her hand gently to hold her back. "I'm sorry if I've been a boring companion tonight. I've been up and about since before dawn and I'm tired. Driving home at night is usually quiet time for me, after painting all day and partying half of the night."

"I get it Banks. It's not that."

"Then what's up? Didn't you have fun tonight?" Banks asked. He knew all of Jennifer's dispositions. Tonight's was a rare one.

"I did! I..." Jennifer hesitated and sighed. She shut the door and settled back on her seat. "It's just... we've been close friends for a while now. Yet this is the only way we ever hang out - a group-hang with our other friends." She looked out of the window and squirmed in her seat. She folded her hands across her busty chest. Banks could make out the embarrassed frown on her face.

There it was from her lips finally. He'd heard subtle and even blatant suggestions from his friends on the same matter. He'd been treated to snippets of encouragements and tiny hints from Jennifer on upgrading their friendship status to a more intimate relationship. This was the first time she was saying it out straight. "You want us to do this more often... but just the two of us."

Jennifer steals a glance at him first. Banks kept his face straight and his doubts to himself. She steepled her fingers, and put on a serious frown on her face. "It doesn't have to be often, Banks. I know you're a busy guy, with the studio and all. My schedule isn't what it used to be either...but once in a while won't be a bad idea. You're not seeing anyone, neither am I. and since we see a lot of each other, why don't we...?'

"I'll like that, Jenny. It isn't a big deal. Just... When will you be free?" Banks asked.

"Are you sure?" Jennifer asked trying to read him.

"Of course I am."

"Okay, what about Chika's birthday party tomorrow evening by eight?" She asked.

Banks hesitated. "I'm not sure about that... I have an errand to run. There is this painting someone ordered through the website. The address is in Mushin."

"An art lover living in Mushin of all places," she mused. Her easy smile was back. "How long shall that take?"

"Hopefully, not more than a couple hours..." Banks replied.

"The party will be till midnight. Mom is in Florida. We can still hang-out at the party after you make your run."

"Sure we can. Sounds like a plan."

"Thanks for the ride, Banks. I'll see you tomorrow in school?"

"Good night Jen, I'll see you tomorrow."

They hugged each other in the car. Jennifer alighted after the embrace and went to the gate. Banks watched her press the bell. After a few moments, the wicket gate unlocked. She turned to wave at him before entering the compound. Banks shook his head and drove away.

***

Lade drew a short, thin line of the white powder on the tray with a thin, hollow cylinder made of a small sheet of paper. She put one end at the entrance to one of her nostrils and bent till the other end of the paper cylinder touched the white powder. She sniffed, dragging her make-shift snifter along the line until the coke line disappeared into her nose. The expected relief was slow but instant. The early morning dizziness disappeared, followed closely by the dull ache at the back of her head. She smiled and closed her eyes. She felt so clear-headed, it was like sitting under the air conditioning after a fresh skin cut at the neighborhood barber shop. She walked to the window and parted the curtains to let in some daylight into her apartment which was on the topmost floor of a three story apartment building. She looked downstairs from her window. There is not much activity going on outside.

She heard a knock on her door and frowned at the disorganized state her bedroom was in. she was still in her nightgown. "Who is it?" She asked as she stepped closer to the door.

"Na me, Cindy," she heard a female voice reply from behind the door.

"Oh!" Lade throws a glance at the wall clock. It was still eight in the morning. Too early for visitors; not that she received any. The only people that came to check on her in her room were Cindy who was more of a friend than a visitor, Spencer who usually supplied her with the drugs and Sting her boss who dropped in occasionally and when he felt like. Cindy was welcome at all hours. The others weren't really welcome per say, theirs was just...work.

Lade unlocked the door and opened it for Cindy to enter the room. Cindy was in her late twenties, plump and beautiful even without her make up. Her pajamas accentuated the curves on her body and her dimple was always there like a permanent fixture on her pleasant face. Usually. This morning however, she held a cold sachet of water to her head and had lines on her depressed face

"Spencer don show?"

Lade chuckled and locks the door after her. "He just left. There is some Calvin-Klein on the dressing table, help yourself." After all the years with Sting and the girls, Lade still preferred to express herself in English. She had some education and held it over the rest of them like some special skill she'd acquired which they hadn't; even though they all were Sting's girls.

Cindy went to the dressing table and did a fatter line. Lade joins her and snorts some more. They lay in the silent glow of their reverie. Cindy does a second line while Lade goes to lie on the bed. Cindy pulls a chair and sits next to the dressing table.

"How are you feeling? You know... the whole... having to sleep with the guy... and watching them off him?"

"I didn't watch! I'll be fine! I think!" Lade replied a bit harshly. They were both surprised at her reaction and an uncomfortable silence ensued, Lade, because she'd never shouted at her friend Cindy before. "I'm sorry. Don't know what that was." She looked down at her hands and rubbed them together unconsciously.

Cindy sighs. "The guilt hurt for a while, but e go come to pass too..."

"I hope so... I don't really like myself right now."

The silence was shorter this time. "At least Sting brings you the best stuff." Cindy said. "Omo! Straight from the source. E never even reach lab." she thumbed her nostrils and sniffed and giggled at nothing.

Lade chuckled. "I got the rest of the day off too. I wonder what I'd do with it.

Cindy looked around the room. "Your room is untidy. It could use some cleaning."

"I'll do it later in the day. Right now, I feel lazy... like sleeping, or watching TV all day."

"Your own better na," Cindy scoffed. "Me, I go escort one Alhaji like that go one function for Abuja this evening. We go spend the weekend there before we come back."

"How come you always get the best jobs? A full weekend of lounging, sight-seeing and shopping! Omo no forget to buy something for me o!" Lade said chuckling.

"Yet you de claim say you no gbadu this escort jaab." Cindy said pulling out a drawer.

"Of course there are a few advantages, but the disadvantage plenty" Lade argued. "Oya check out wetin I do the other night na. What if e no bin work according to plan?"

Cindy found some indian hemp in the drawer. She tossed one at Lade who caught it neat. They both relapsed in silence and began rolling up the Indian hemp. When they were both done, they got to their feet to go to the kitchen. It was like tradition in Lade's apartment. No matter how untidy the bedroom was, she didn't smoke in there. Except on a few rare occasions when she was alone.

There was a sharp contrast between the bedroom and the adjourning kitchen in Lade's self-contained apartment. There were two other adjourning doors in the kitchen. One was slightly ajar and led out to a balcony while the other was shut and led into the bathroom. The kitchen was clean, fully equipped and well-arranged unlike the bedroom. Cindy wasn't surprised at the difference. She resumed the conversation. "All the same, the plan worked...you came home safe, got paid and earned a holiday."

The refrigerator suddenly kicked in and began humming. A female voice somewhere shouted, "Up NEPA!!" Cindy smirked at that.

"True sha... but what if something goes wrong the next time?" She snapped her fingers. "God forbid! I can't wait to save enough money to pay off my father's debt and quit all this shit." Lade lighted her hemp and walked out of the kitchen to the balcony at the back.

Cindy was right behind her with a bemused expression on her face. "And what would you do when you quit?" Her tone had a twinge of mockery. She took the lighter from Lade and lit hers.

Lade took a dragged, swallowed and blew it out with a dreamy expression on her face. "Well, I'll get a job, fall in love with someone and build a family... you know, get married and raise my kids."

Cindy was quiet for a moment then burst into sudden laughter. "You dream a lot," Cindy said. "I'm sure you know that Sting won't let someone as pretty as you quit till you're at least forty and ripe candidate for a wellness home. Have you ever seen anyone quit before?"

Lade grimaced at that. She sat on the vacant space on the kitchen table and took a long drag of her hemp which she blew out and watched ascend to the kitchen ceiling.