Offspring Ch. 039

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"In their zeal to built bigger and more impressive things than their rivals they had neglected the other technologies, like electronics for instance. There was no glamour in that. So they wound up with a state of the art rocket being controlled by electro magnetic relays instead of integrated circuits and sophisticated computers. It wasn't until the political system collapsed that they started to correct their approach.

"I think we are looking here at a similar philosophy. If it's not big and impressive don't spend much time and resources on it as long as it kind of works."

"That explains a few things. If you're right it will make it easy for us to figure out how the shuttles are controlled. Simple, straight forward circuitry, easy to trace."

"Alright fellows," I said, "there isn't much more we can do with this until we get there. Now we need to talk to Al's brother and get the gear for the Angels. That means we have to go to Okton4. Before we can leave I want George and Feng to do a little job for me."

"What do you want us to do?"

"I need a presentation I can show to Niels and perhaps a few of his people. Say, the bit with the missing heat signatures, the model we built, evidence of our presence on the mainland, the scam we worked with Commander Tiri and his fleet and this lot with the shuttles. Oh, and while you are at it, show a few pictures of what we are doing here and don't forget to include some shots of the four cruisers."

"That's simple," said George. "It'll be a cut and paste job. All we need is on file already. Give us about eight hours."

"Good. Any reason why we can't take off in twenty-four hours from now?"

"None I can think of," said Pedro. "I'll stay here. Too much to do. You and Juan can handle it without me. The gear for the Angels is on standby. The Chang Corporation is handling that end of it."

I went to see Jack to ask him if there was anything he wanted us to get for him while we were on Okton4. He said there was nothing, but I should check with Sergeant Conners in case he needed something.

Jack had put him in charge of the day to day running of the farm. It freed him to concentrate on his research. I found Trevor in the yard giving instructions to his workers. When I told him I was about to take off to Okton4 he asked for a conference.

We went to the worker's canteen in the farm house. Ben was busily preparing meals. He had a number of people helping him. He seemed content.

"My boys know what to do," said Trevor. "I'm taking the rest of the shift off. Let's get us some beer, this is going to take a while."

I had no problems with that.

"What's bothering you, Trevor?" I asked when we had settled down in a quiet corner.

"Well there is the meteorologist and the chemist we brought with us. They are unhappy and want to go home. They miss the homosexual scene back on Okton4. Besides, we don't need them any more. Pedro has two meteorologists amongst his technicians and Ben is by far the better chemist."

"Ben is a chemist? I thought he was a cook."

"He's got a doctorate in chemistry. When I found out about it I asked him why he was cooking. He said that cooking was applied organic chemistry and that it fell squarely within his area of expertise."

"Fair enough. Alright, I'll take them with me and pay them out when we get there. Anything else?"

"Yes, my men and Doctor Finn want to settle here. All my guys have girlfriends over in Talla. One of them plans to get married soon. The good doctor is running Pedro's clinic. He likes what he is doing. You should talk to him before you leave, he's got big plans for this place."

"And you, Trevor, what do you intend to do."

"My place is with my men. You will need us when you go and explore the valleys. Jack told me what to expect there. I have been training a few volunteers. We'll have quite a little army if there is trouble. I want to go with you. I need some more rifles and ammo."

"You can't get those on Okton4."

"Says who? Not a problem if you know some big boys with low morals. You know how corrupt the Federation is. I can get you anything. It's only a question of credits."

"What? Even medium range space torpedoes?"

"About one hundred grand a piece, How many do you want?"

"Say ten."

"Give me a million credits in gold. I'll get them for you. I'll even get the rifles and ammo I want thrown in for free on a deal like that."

"Alright. Get your kit. You're coming with me."

"You go and have a talk with the good doctor. I need to see Jack to tell him I won't be here for a few days and brief my men. I'll meet you on the Pygmalion after I'm done."

***

Doctor Finn was busy. He was seeing a patient when I got there. I had to wait for half an hour. When I finally got to see him I came straight to the point.

"I take it you would like to stay here permanently, Doctor Finn."

"I am needed here," he said. "I like the people. I like the atmosphere. I am busy. I feel fulfilled. What more can a man want?"

"What is it you actually do?"

"This is a small town, Colonel. I am the local GP. Mostly we do small stuff. Treating cuts and bruises, the odd broken limb, looking after kids and pregnant women, about what you'd expect a quack to do in a small community. It's all very personal. I know most of my patients by name, they confide in me. Medicine at its best. There is just one thing that worries me."

"What would that be?"

"I am told you are going to bring a number of Angels here. I don't know anything about them. Sooner or later they will need treatment of some sort. I am not equipped to handle that."

"You need a crash course in Angel anatomy and physiology and some knowledge of species specific pharmacology."

"I know, but where could I get that?"

"Can you get away from here for a week or two?"

"I have a junior doctor helping me. She is very good. The nursing staff is as good as you'd find anywhere. They'll be able to cope without me for a while. What do you have in mind?"

"I want you to come with me to Okton4. There is an old pathologist on Okton4 who might be able to help you."

"You are talking about Dr. Patel, aren't you? I know of him. He is brilliant. He knows much that would be helpful. He and his partner Dr. Schaeffer. They both work for the Federation though. I doubt they would be allowed to talk to me. The morgue and the path lab are security areas, off limits to the likes of me."

"Leave that to me. I know them well. They would be delighted to help. As far as the Federation is concerned, I can get clearance. Tidy up your affairs here and meet me on the Pygmalion in about eight hours. Can do?"

"No problems. See you there."

There was nothing further to do for me so I went to the pub for some draft beer. Feng, Talla and Al must have had the same idea. I joined them.

12