On the Lam

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
RichardGerald
RichardGerald
2,892 Followers

Ollie had used some contacts to try and locate Landon in Europe, where they believed him to be. Surprisingly, some members of Interpol had heard of the lawyer. He was a card sharp these days, noted for being involved with crooked games, though the details were vague and his whereabouts unknown.

"But he's a player and a cheat," the contact had said.

"Look Dave is not what you think. He had a problem in his marriage and he well, he is a hopeless romantic. He couldn't face things and he ran—"

"Mr. Boswell that deed you hold shows that DAVE bought a key property in his corporate name long before the development was public knowledge—"

As Liz spoke, Larry looked down and saw the names on the deed. He dropped it as if it were on fire. Then he stood abruptly and turned his back on her to look out the window.

His head sagged and he muttered, "Stuyvesant."

"The name means something to you?" she asked.

Still looking through the window he said," I take it you never heard of Peter Stuyvesant."

"The Colonial Governor of New York," she said.

"Not right. Petur Stuyvesant was the last Dutch Governor of New Amsterdam. He was forced to surrender the colony to the English and it became New York. He cut the best deal he could for the colony's residents with the new SOVEREIGN. The people kept their religion and their PROPERTY."

"I guess I am still missing it."

"It's a joke turned inside out, just Dave's style. The Sovern state of New York taking people's property, but he and Stuyvesant fighting back."

"So you believe me now?"

"He's not a bad man."

"PLEASE!"

"He only left—"

"Because his wife's a slut like your—"

He had turned to look at her as she spoke.

"Sorry, did not mean that—"

"You know about Anne," he said, looking defeated and tired.

"Please I'm very sorry," she said.

Larry sat back down, "What do you want?"

"All he has to do is come testify, we'll give him limited immunity. He makes restitution and maybe has to cut some kind of deal with the Federal Prosecutor. But he should get no serious time. A two-year trip to Ray Brook maybe. Does he play tennis?" she said, forcing herself to smile."

"And if he won't come back?"

"Would get very embarrassing for the families. Lot of people could get hurt. Your relatives are not exactly saints."

"And of course there is Ann—"

"WE would not want to use that—"

"BUT the Senator would."

Liz had no comeback. Politics is a dirty game.

"Ok, I will speak to the family and then David. He's a good man. I doubt he will throw them all under the bus to save himself.

She got up to leave, but she couldn't just walk out -- she needed to explain herself.

"What the Senator is trying to do is change the system to help a lot of people who can't defend themselves. Please try to understand! If there was another way...Sometimes to do good you have to do things that are awful," she said.

"Spoken like a woman," he said.

"That's not fair. If I had time, I would tell what a man did to me once upon a time. So believe me, I have no sympathy for your wife or Mrs. Landon."

"We're going to compare wounds now? Well, consider this. We don't even know the race of the father -- there appear to be a number of possibilities."

Liz had no response and so made a hasty retreat, but what she really wanted to do was rush to Lawrence Boswell and hug him, and comfort one of a very few truly good men she knew.

______________________________________________________

They were gathered in Agnes Langdon's kitchen, a big farmhouse style room recently redone by Agnes, They were spread out along one side of the long Shaker reproduction style table. Agnes was in the center, Doris Landon to the right, Larry's Mom, Margret, at her left and the twins were bookending the group. Larry had not invited the men. They have no power in this matter, he thought, and would only confuse the issues.

"I have something to tell you," he began.

"Is it about David?" Doris asked.

Larry could feel her pain. She had been suffering he knew, and not for the first time he wondered how his friend could bear the pain his actions caused.

"Yes, a woman by the name of Elizabeth Parker came to see me today. She is an aide to Senator Ruis. They are looking for David," Larry said.

"Did you tell her that so are we?" Agnes asked.

"No. Because I know where Dave is. I did not tell you because I wanted to keep in contact with him, and if I had betrayed his confidence he would have cut me off as well."

"You might have at least informed us of how he was," said Larry's Mom.

"No, he was right. It's more important that someone knows, in case David needs anything," Doris said.

"Ok, what's the problem and what does this Senator want?" Agnes asked.

"Well, David has been speculating in condemned properties and I am afraid the time has come to pay the piper."

"What does that mean?" Agnes said.

Larry explained, "I checked out this Stuyvesant company this afternoon. Its land purchases seem suspect."

"But why suspect David?" Doris asked.

"Because he left here with nothing and seems not to need money. Add to that an obvious pun on the corporate name and it spells David and some less than honorable acts.

"I don't believe my son would do anything wrong," Agnes said.

"I didn't accuse him of wrong doing, but you need to admit that the circumstances are suspicious."

"We need to talk to him," Doris said.

"I'm going to call him as soon as we finish," Larry said.

"I need to speak to my son," Agnes demanded.

"He won't speak directly to you and if we try he will cut me off as well. At least with my doing the talking we know where he is and that he is all right," Larry said.

He was trying to convince these dominant women that the man they had always bullied into doing as they wished would no longer Listen to them.

"Can you at least tell him I love him?" Doris asked.

"Yes and tell him we miss him and to come home," the twins chimed in.

"Look I have been telling him that from the beginning, but the question now is about these allegations. If he comes home, he could go to prison. He's a lawyer, he will know that. So what do I ask him to do?" Larry said.

"Tell him I will stand by him no matter what. If he doesn't come home to help us through this, I will understand. But if he does come I will never leave his side no matter what he has done or what happens," Doris said, trying not to break down.

"Tell my son that we forgive him and as Doris says whatever he needs," Agnes said.

"Right, if it takes every penny we have to bail him out," Larry mother said.

The women all started to cry now. Larry knew what he must do, and that was, lie, for he knew what Dave wanted and that was an apology. He wanted them to beg his forgiveness and promise to leave him alone. The problem was they didn't see their actions as truly wrong and they could never conceive of letting him go. Larry didn't think they were capable of releasing David, and unfortunately, this was a fact David knew. But hey, what are good friends for if not to tell you what you want to hear.

______________________________________________

"Very impressive, Felix," I said.

We were walking through the Stuttgart Kraftfahrzeugteile plant. My friend and host for the last six weeks Felix was the President and chief stockholder of the automobile parts manufacturer.

"I hoped you would be impressed," Felix said.

"How could I help that? This place is so efficient and clean! I did not expect a factory to be so clean."

"What did you expect, grease everywhere?" he said, slapping me on the back.

Instinct told me the invite to the plant had an agenda to it. Call it being too long a lawyer, but Felix wanted something. He and his wife Sophia were always entertaining, but the last several weeks I felt I was being examined like a prospective bride. One dinner after another had the same group of auto parts manufacturers in attendance. They seemed to want to know everything from what I ate for breakfast to how I slept at night.

Felix led me out of the manufacturing plant to the much smaller administrative building. All the four buildings on the three acre site had a utilitarian appearance. The office building was two floors. The sales division was on the first floor and accounting on the second, with the executive offices. Felix had walked me through the engineering and warehouse buildings and finally into manufacturing.

He was an excellent tour guide, but the tour was clearly over when he walked me into his office. Waiting there for us were his brother Hans, Wilhelm Jenner, and Ulrich Franks, The latter two were technically the CEOs of two of his competitors. But competition was the last thing these guys wanted. Ulrich was maybe early forties, He was called Rick by his friends and had just taken over his rather small company from his father. Willy Jenner was East German originally. The man had to be in his sixties, but barely looked fifty; He was a wise old fox with a very dubious reputation.

"Guten Tag, gentlemen," I said.

In return, I received a round of, "Hello Dave."

Felix's administrative assistant served us coffee and we proceeded to chat about nothing in particular for about fifteen minutes until, on a signal I did not see, Felix broached the topic I had been brought for.

"Dave, we were interested in knowing your opinion..." Felix began, but hesitated.

"What we ask is your sight on possible expansion by us into the North American market," Rick said. He was not a patient man.

"Well, I believe you are already in that market. After all, German cars use proprietary parts and tools. Different parts and equipment for each make," I said.

"Basically correct, But we want general after market," Hans said.

"Well, why ask me I am surely no expert on your business—"

"But you know the local situation," Felix said.

"I see when we say North American we don't mean Mexico, too dangerous, and well Canada— wages are rising, Unions somewhat strong, and there's rising currency strength. No, we are thinking the US, with declining wages, weak unions, and most important an attractively corrupt government. So any states, in particular?"

"We were thinking North Carolina or New York," Rick said.

"I see, but why New York?"

"Outside New York City it has high unemployment, no taxes on corporations, and soon cheap natural gas," Felix informed me.

"I see. Well then good luck to you," I said.

"You don't understand Mr. Landon we need someone who is familiar with the local customs," Hans said.

"Such as?"

"You know, gratuities and such," Felix expounded.

"I see, you seek someone to handle the honest graft, as we call it."

"Precisely. We seek a facilitator of sorts," Rick said.

"We see you as a good match," Felix said.

"Why?"

"Well, your experience," Felix said.

"Felix are you implying I am a cheat and crook?" I asked.

"Yes, which is exactly why we need you," Wil said, speaking for the first time. "To put our cards on the table, we need someone who will get his hands dirty and knows the system. But someone we trust. We trust David Landon. He maybe is someone it is best not to play poker with, but he will not cheat his friends."

"Well, thank you, gentlemen for your high opinion of me, but somehow I do not feel this is the whole group."

"Obviously we are a delegation. To determine the interest and to ... well, determine the extent of any problems," Felix said.

"Problems?"

"We consider your possible legal difficulties," Rick said.

Just the previous evening, my brother-in-law had called to tell me that I had a legislative committee coming after me. Some State Senator was threatening to hold the family hostage for my appearance.

"Let me assure you gentlemen I will handle any legal difficulties I have. However, I still have a few family issues to resolve. Women can make a man wish he was in jail."

My last remark was greeted with appropriate good humor, then they turned things over to Wilhelm to make the actual proposal. It wasn't a bad deal. I would still be a crook, but the kind of respectable corporate type found acceptable in American society. I was only forty-six. I had plenty of time to start a new life and career, and here it was being handed to me.

"I must certainly consider your proposal, but I will need some time to reflect. I also need to return home to settle my family problems."

"Of course, we understand, but we will need an answer before the New Year," Felix said, to general agreement.

"I will give you my answer by Weihnachten," I said.

"Sehr gut," Wil said. He was obviously the leader, and I wondered why he had chosen me, in particular. _________________________________________________ The call from Larry the evening before the Stuttgart meeting had shaken me. Larry would not be able to holdout, those women would twist him until he gave them everything they wanted. I did not believe for a minute that they were truly remorseful. However, I knew they were sincere in their love and concern for me. It would be so easy if I could hate them, but how do you do that?

The fact that they now saw the tip of the iceberg of my nefarious dealings was the most troubling. Doris and my mother were particularly formidable, and mother Boswell had a fortune at her back. They would unravel me as easily as the twine on a kid's kite. I didn't even want to think about how they could use my daughters against me. You never stop being a father no matter how hard you try.

My first move was out of Germany. I had to go home now, anyway. I booked a flight to Amsterdam. I pulled a two-day layover there to organize my response to the good Senator Ruis. Yet another women that God had cursed me with. I was beginning to wonder if the Deity had it in for men in general or I was a special case. The knock on the door came while I was waiting for the call back from Albany.

She walked straight in, never saying a word. She began undressing like we were an old married couple and this was our shared hotel room.

"Mind telling me how you found me, Annette?"

"Sophia bugs the Gunther family house phones as well as their cell phones. Felix is not allowed to play on the side. She's as jealous as she is promiscuous. But she has a point -- like most men in such a relationship he is an easy mark. If you don't protect your man, you will lose him."

"I see. She heard me book my reservations and called you, but what did you do with the family?"

"The minute you left, Rupert took off with his newest woman. I believe you met her. The kids are at Euro Disney with Grand Mama. I was specifically uninvited. So here I am, all yours. When does your flight leave?"

"Day after tomorrow at 4 a.m.," I said.

"Gut! Es gibt Zeit -- we have time to make love, liebchen!" she said.

Naked, she lay back on the bed, spread her legs, and slipped her fingers onto her mound of Venus. She was the picture of lust. Her nipples stood tall on her chest and there was never a doubt what I would do.

I realized in that instance that I had made a grave mistake. I had let this woman in. She knew me, understood my lust. I was a hopeless heterosexual male unable to resist a woman in heat. Never let them get your number or they will use it every time. I was on her like a shot. I felt her teeth sink into my shoulder as I penetrated her. She rolled me onto my back.

"My turn," she said, riding me cowgirl, her had hand on her clit.

My hands were on her breasts. Those small firm mounds of flesh with their hard points. She grunted as she took her pleasure. I was totally lost in her passion. Completely owned by lust. She came quick and then slowed down.

"Make it last," she said squeezing me.

She held us together in an embrace. It took me a minute to realize she was crying.

"What's wrong?" I said.

"Nothing and everything. Please let me do this. No stupid talk."

We fucked or made love for most of the evening. I didn't know which. We would go at it, rest, and then start again. Just before the hotel kitchen closed I ordered food and two bottles of white German wine.

"So why did you cry through most of our loving making?"

"Because I love you! Verdammte Mann!" she said.

"Is this all we can have? Fucking?"

"What more can we have?"

"A life together."

"We are both married."

"To cheating spouses."

"I have children who need me and Rupert says that you will take Wilhelm's offer and go back to America permanently."

"So your husband is in on it. Did he tell you why Wilhelm picked me?"

"They say you are the type of crook who will never give up his friends. Jenner is the same -- he is from East Berlin. He cashed out of the black market when the wall came down. You are his type of man."

"Your husband must be as well. Doesn't he work for Jenner?"

"Yes but that is purely a family matter and my father makes sure my husband's hands stay clean. Rupert isn't the kind of skilled professional thief you are," she said.

"And your husband. What does he think of my new employment?"

"He fears I can leave him for you so he is happy to see you leave."

"So you came for one last—"

"I came to say I love you, and you should go home to the wife that you love and forgive her for being a trottel. We women can be so foolish for men, but a good husband needs to be understanding and forgiving. Otherwise he is not a real man at all. " She said this with a sincerity that hit me right in the gut.

Annette was a special woman. We kissed. I didn't know how I could leave her, but I knew she would never leave her husband and kids. He could bed every woman in Germany and she would never go. The most she would do was sleep with other men to restore her pride. We were a hopeless pair. Two romantics trapped in marriages with practical spouses. Annette and I had told ourselves we could be practical too, but it came at a high cost.

She was right on one thing. My ever practical wife had let herself be foolish because she wanted another man. Was she truly sorry? Could we ever have a marriage of equals? An honest relationship? So many question and I had no answers.

I have no memory of Amsterdam beyond an airport, a hotel room, and Annette.

Her last words to me were, "Go home to your wife and make love to her, but remember I love you and I don't give up what I love."

______________________________________________________ The Christmas tree was up in Rockefeller Center. New York had reached the time of year when people were feeling the stress that comes from trying to be merry. The Dutch flight attendants had recommended the Club Suites Hotel, where they stayed in New York. The rooms are minuscule, but it is across the street from Rockefeller Center, an easy location to get to and away from. I am told that more people get engaged and more marriages break up in December than in any other month.

I had thought to end my marriage on the first of last January, but here I was, still married. The divorce would be a slam dunk for Doris, if she wanted it. If not I would need a lawyer and a good one -- my finances were a bit sticky. It would be embarrassing should my wealth become known.

I didn't want any publicity that might offend my new German partners. Oh yes, I took their offer. Why not? Free enterprise is the American way, and what could be any more enterprising than being the bagman for a group of German industrialist.

Jimmy Landrew was thrilled to hear from me. He had missed me it seems, as had his creditors. He was more than please with my new position, as were many of his friends. It is amazing how many fine and expensive restaurants they have in New York with extremely dark corners. In one week I believe I justified Wilhelm's faith in my abilities. I sent him a simple email.

"Ready whenever you are."

"GOOD," Wilhelm Jenner.

RichardGerald
RichardGerald
2,892 Followers