On Thin Ice Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
MugsyB
MugsyB
2,729 Followers

"As if! Your hair products take up way more space!" Meg tossed her purse on the bed and wandered around the room, checking everything out. "This is great, Z. Thank you so much."

"Don't thank me. I expect you to do all the cooking and cleaning and laundry."

"You can just try that, mister, and we'll see how long it lasts."

Zane laughed and gave in to one of his urges. He scooped her up in his arms and swung her in a tight circle. Meg laughed and hugged him back.

"I can't tell you how glad I am that you're here, Meg."

"What? In your house? I didn't plan this, you know."

Zane turned his head and pressed his nose to her brown hair. He'd always loved the way she smelled, like fresh rain and fabric softener. "I know. I'm just so glad you're in Jersey."

"Zane, you've been here how many years?" She pulled back to look into his eyes, still dangling in his grasp. "You've never needed me around."

He gave her a solemn nod. "Sure I have. I've just never admitted it."

She blushed a pretty pink. "When did you get into the flattery?"

He grinned. "Is it working? Does this mean you will do all the cooking, cleaning and laundry?"

"Throw in a 'you're the most beautiful woman in the world,' and you've got yourself a deal, pal."

Zane laughed and hugged her close again. He didn't even need to lie for that. "You are the most beautiful woman in the world, Meg."

"Oh, now you're asking for it." She drew back her foot and tried to kick him but he dodged the blow.

They squirmed and flailed around until Zane dropped her and she tumbled onto her backside with a shriek.

"You did that on purpose!"

He started laughing and kept laughing until Meg lunged to her feet. Then he spun around and raced from the room, Meg close on his heels. He darted into his bedroom and Meg caught him around the waist, taking them both to the floor.

"What are you doing?!"

"Payback!" And she started to tickle him.

He howled with laughter and caught her wrists in his hands. Using his heavier body weight, he rolled her over onto his back. "You're twenty-seven years old! Isn't that too old for wrestling on the floor?"

"Never!" She laughed and tried to buck him off. He was too heavy and had her hands in too firm a grasp. "Aren't you too old to be trapping women on your bedroom floor?"

He lifted his eyebrows and smirked. "I'm a year younger than you, Meg."

"Ugh. Don't remind me." She smiled up at him, her chest heaving from the exertion. "Are you going to let me up?"

Zane narrowed his gaze and swept his eyes over her flushed face and the open V of her top. He was sitting across her thighs and had her trapped with her hands over her head. His mind went right away to all the things he could be doing with her trapped beneath him like this.

"I could let you up..."

"Don't be a jackass, Zane."

"You were the one chasing me like a four-year old."

"I was just following your example."

Zane grinned. "God, this is going to be so awesome having you here."

"Let me up!"

He laughed but didn't let her go. She struggled, whining and cajoling in turns but he wouldn't relent. He liked having her at his mercy. In the early years of their friendship, she'd been bigger than him and older and had enjoyed tormenting him. Now, he was the bigger, stronger one and it had been what felt like ages since they'd horsed around like this.

Its probably been ten years, not since we were teenagers, at least. The memory made him smile. Their parents had caught them rolling around together on his basement floor and they'd both been grounded for a month. Apparently they'd been too old for that sort of fun. Or rather, the sort of fun their parents assumed they'd been having.

Meg caught him off-guard with a sudden move and he toppled sideways. So he did the only thing he knew that would weaken her. He buried his face in the crook of her neck and blew his breath out as hard as he could.

The sound and sensation made Meg shriek and squirm beneath him. He ignored the push of her thighs against his and let his weight settle over her. Her breasts connected with his chest at every breath and Zane blew against her skin again.

He wanted to stop and kiss her instead, the sudden overwhelming urge almost erasing his decision not to give in to his urges. All he could do was keep his head down, the raspberry keeping her in the dark about what he really wanted.

"S-stop!" Meg's cry was halfway between a cry and a laugh.

Zane could have stayed there for days, breathing her in and feeling her body under his, but the doorbell rang.

At last he lifted his head and gave Meg a wry smile.

"Are you...expecting...someone?" Her words came in between quick breaths.

Zane shook his head, his eyes sliding over her flushed cheeks and brilliant blue eyes. He hadn't been lying earlier when he'd said she was the most beautiful woman in the world. Next to her, most other woman paled in comparison.

But we're just friends.

The doorbell rang again and he sighed. He got up and helped Meg to her feet. They walked downstairs and he opened the front door to the curious faces of Adam and Mike.

Mike took one look at their matching rosy cheeks and burst out laughing. Adam rolled his eyes and gave Mike a shove.

Adam was the first to speak. "We came by to meet your lady."

Zane glanced at Meg and shrugged. "Here she is. Now see you guys later." He started to shut the door but Meg stopped him with a laugh.

"I'm Meg and I doubt very much Zane called me his lady."

"You're right about that." Adam held his hand out for her to shake. "But we knew the truth without him saying it."

Meg shook his hand and glanced sideways at Zane who ignored the looks his teammates were giving him.

"I'm Adam and this is Mike."

"Nice to meet you." Mike recovered from his initial outburst and extended his hand to Meg as well. Mike turned his knowing smile on Zane. "Are you going to invite us in?"

"I wasn't planning on it."

"Zane, don't be an ass. Come in." Meg punched Zane in the shoulder as she turned around and he reluctantly let his teammates into the house.

Zane rolled his eyes as the guys followed Meg and he was left to shut the door. This wasn't what he thought would follow their wrestling match on his bedroom floor. But then, he hadn't exactly planned that either.

Don't be an idiot, Z.

Shaking his head, Zane went into the living room with the rest of them. The three of them were sprawled across his couch and chairs like they'd all been living there for years. Meg sat in his favourite chair, pulling all her dark hair into a ponytail.

"I'm really looking forward to the new season." She looked up at Zane and winked as she spoke.

"Yeah, so are we." Mike slumped down on the couch with a groan that made it sound like he wasn't looking forward to any of it.

"I think you guys have a great shot this year."

Zane took a seat on the couch beside Mike. "Yeah, all it takes is some name-calling on your part."

Meg laughed and smoothed her hands over her hair. "I like to contribute however I can."

Mike and Adam exchanged a look and Zane glared at them.

"Have you settled into your place then, Meg?" Mike asked, throwing a smirking glance at Zane.

"Uh, not exactly."

Zane shook his head, hoping she'd take the signal and not say anything about their situation. She frowned at him and shrugged.

"Turns out I paid my first month's rent and security deposit to a scam artist."

"Are you kidding?" Adam sat forward in his chair, a look of shock on his face.

Meg shook her head. "I got to the apartment building in Newark and the manager told me they had no vacancies."

"What did you do?"

"Well, I stood there like an idiot for a while until Zane showed up."

Mike and Adam's eyes swivelled around to stare at Zane.

He shrugged. "I was there to help her move in."

"I get it!" Adam laughed and slapped a hand on his knee. "He offered for you to stay here when he found out about your apartment?"

Meg nodded. "But I'm only staying until I can find a new place."

"You're staying as long as you need to, Meg." Zane turned his narrow look on his best friend. "I don't want you picking another dump like that one."

She made a face. "It wasn't that bad. And it was close to work. God, do you know how long it'll take me from here to get to the school?"

"Public transit's not bad," Mike added with a grin.

"She's not taking the bus through Newark!" Zane had to struggle to keep his voice low. He didn't know why he was so agitated anyway.

Meg raised her eyebrows at him. "I think I can figure things out for myself, thank you."

Mike and Adam exchanged another look and Zane wanted to tell them both to give it up.

With a sigh, Zane stood up. "Does anyone want a beer?"

Meg followed him to the kitchen. "Why are you in such a foul mood all of a sudden?"

He wanted to say that it was because he'd just had an amazing woman underneath him and his friends had interrupted. Somehow, he didn't think that answer would work.

"The guys have been razzing me about you moving here for weeks."

Meg grinned. "Oh yeah? The 'if-she's-hot-why-haven't-you-tapped-that' argument?"

"Something like that." Zane opened the fridge. "It gets old fast."

"Why do you let it bother you?" Meg took the two bottles he handed her. "It's nothing we haven't dealt with before."

Zane popped the cap on one of the bottles and took a generous swig. He couldn't tell himself for sure why he was bothered by it so much more now, so how could he explain it to Meg?

She gave him a wink and cuffed him on the arm with one hand. "Come on. I want to get to know your teammates."

"Why?"

"Because you're the only hockey player I know and whatever you may think about it, I'm a little starstruck here."

Zane didn't like the sound of that but he followed Meg back to the living room. An hour later, he still didn't like it. Meg laughed and chatted and answered Mike and Adam's questions like they'd been friends for years. She also grilled them about their skills and their chances for the season.

Later, as the sun was setting, Mike suggested they order pizza for dinner.

"We can go on a beer run and help you move all your stuff in," he added with a grin for Meg.

Meg responded with a smile that had Zane clenching his teeth. "Thanks for the offer, Mike. I hadn't even thought about that."

"Well, you've got that car packed to the teeth." Mike jerked his chin towards the front of the house. "And I bet Zane hasn't mentioned it once."

Zane scowled at his friend and Mike laughed.

"Come on, Meg." Mike jumped to his feet. "Let's go unload your car and Zane and Adam can go get the beer."

"How late are you planning on staying?" Zane didn't move as everyone else got to their feet. This was definitely not how he'd imagined spending the first night with Meg in New Jersey.

Mike tipped his head towards Meg. "As long as the hostess lets us stay."

Zane opened his mouth to protest but stopped himself from saying something stupid when he saw the look Meg was giving him. Fine. He could be friendly and congenial for tonight. But there weren't going to be many more 'drop-ins' once this was over.

Zane followed Adam out to his truck and stewed for the first couple blocks as Adam drove. He didn't even realize he was doing it until Adam made a disgusted noise and reached over to punch him in the shoulder.

"What the hell was that for?" Zane frowned and rubbed the spot Adam had hit.

"Why are you being such a douche?"

"What are you talking about?"

Adam scoffed. "Come on."

Zane wanted to protest but he knew there was no point. He had been acting like a jerk. "I was kind of hoping to have Meg to myself for the night and then you guys showed up."

Adam arched a dark eyebrow at him and grinned. "All to yourself, huh? I thought you guys were just friends."

"We are! I wanted my friend all to myself. I'm not going to see her a lot, even though we're living together, and we haven't seen each other since July anyway! So yeah, I wanted her all to myself before she started getting hit on by my teammates."

Adam didn't say anything for a moment, giving Zane a moment to replay his own words in his head. He'd sounded like an obsessive boyfriend.

"Well, she's a big girl, Z. I'm sure she's capable of telling Mike to piss off if she wants to."

That's the problem. Zane scowled as he stared out the windshield. She may not want to.

****

"You teach biology?"

Mike sounded so amazed that Meg couldn't help but laugh. "And history. Don't forget that."

"Jeez. I barely made it through high school and now you're spending the rest of your life there?" He shook his head and set down the box he was carrying. As he straightened, he stretched his arms over his head and smiled at Meg. "I don't know how you can deal with a bunch of adolescents."

Meg shot him an amused look. "Isn't that what you do every day, too?"

Mike laughed and nodded. He moved around to perch next to Meg on the bed. "This bed isn't yours, right?"

"No. I couldn't bring my bed with me. I was going to buy one when I got here." Meg blew out her breath. "Now that's something else that'll have to wait."

"Chin up, darlin'. Zane won't let you live in a slum."

"Oh, well, thank heaven for my big, strong man-friend then!"

Mike blinked, taken aback by her tone. "That's not what I meant."

She rolled her eyes and stood up. "I know. And I also know that Zane wouldn't let me do that. I just don't want to be a burden."

"A burden?" Mike chuckled. "He'd never think of you as a burden."

Meg shrugged, focusing her attention on arranging her clothes in the closet. "He might not, but I would."

They fell silent then and Meg continued to shake wrinkles out of her clothes and hang them. Her thoughts drifted to Zane and his offer to have her stay with him. She hadn't wanted to but not because she didn't want to be a burden. It was because they'd never been able to spend more than a night or two in each other's company. No matter the situation or how many other people were around, a certain tension would creep between them and they'd start to fight.

They'd never talked about it and Meg had her suspicions on why she was bothered after spending so much time alone with Zane. She didn't think he suffered from the same problem and she was content to let things be. Even if it meant she stared at him when he wasn't looking and fought to control inexplicable butterflies in her stomach when he thought everything was fine.

"Well, I think he's thrilled to have you here." Mike's voice brought Meg back to the present.

"I'm pretty thrilled to be here." Meg glanced over her shoulder in time to see Mike flash her a dazzling smile. Her stomach flipped and she looked away.

Oh, there was no denying that Mike was a handsome guy. He had smooth, dark skin and brown eyes that sparkled when he grinned at her. His body was athletic and he was a few inches taller than Zane. From their conversation so far that afternoon, he seemed intelligent and had a great sense of humor. Meg would be lying if she said she didn't find him attractive.

She just didn't know how to react to his flirting. She hadn't dated in a couple years, other than a few casual outings and she felt woefully out of practice. For the most part, she wanted to focus on her new job and Mike would be a distraction. Mike and his flirting and the way Zane reacted to it.

Very distracting.

To distract herself from her aimless thoughts, she turned from the closet. "I think I hear the guys. You hungry?"

Mike lifted his dark eyebrows and shrugged. With an ease that seemed out of place with his large frame, he stood up and crossed the room towards her. "After you, Meg."

She flushed and hurried from the room ahead of him.

Zane and Adam were just coming in from the garage when they hit the main floor. Meg caught the scent of pizza and her stomach gave a resonant growl. She stopped short across the kitchen from Zane who gave her a knowing look. They burst into laughter a second later and Meg moved forward to take the big pizza box from him.

The four of them gathered plates and napkins and then took their spots around the living room. With all of them together again, Meg felt less out of sorts when Mike flirted and laughed with her. She moved around the room and ended up next to Zane on the couch, where she felt much more at ease.

It was very late when Mike and Adam decided to leave. They moaned about having to wake up early for practice and Meg just shrugged.

"You shouldn't have suggested beer and pizza then."

Zane laughed and threw an arm around her shoulders. She looked up and leaned against him, glad that whatever foul mood he'd been in before had dissipated.

Mike scowled at the two of them. "Don't laugh, Z. You still have to get up early too, you know."

Zane shrugged. "I'll live. You boys drive safe now!"

Mike and Adam waved as they crossed Zane's front yard and Meg breathed a big sigh.

"Tired?" Zane gave her a squeeze.

She nodded. "It's been a long day."

Zane agreed and they moved back into the house. They cleaned up the living room and kitchen and then made their way upstairs. Meg was just setting her alarm for the following morning when Zane knocked on her open door.

"Why are you setting your alarm? I thought you didn't start work until Monday?"

"I know. I want to get an early start." She set the clock down and smiled at Zane. "I need to start looking for a place to live plus a zillion other things."

Zane smiled and walked over to sit beside her on the bed. "You'll sort through it all and there's no hurry to find a new place, Meg. You know I won't make you leave."

"I know." Meg sighed and leaned her head on his shoulder. "I can't believe my first day here was so shitty."

"It wasn't all bad, was it?" Zane gave a soft laugh and put his arm around her. "At least you're here and we can be together again."

Be together...

It had always been an innocent phrase between them and Meg knew he didn't mean anything by it. Even now, with his arm heavy and warm across her shoulders and his fingers giving her a comforting squeeze. She reminded herself again that they were friends - best friends - and that was a good thing. It was the best thing about her life.

"This certainly wasn't how I thought we'd be spending our first night together," Zane commented after a few minutes of silence.

Meg tilted her head back to look into his face and smiled. "What? Going to bed early?"

He laughed. "It's past midnight. That's not early."

"No, you're right."

"But I was talking about tonight, with the guys showing up." He let out an annoyed sigh. "They ruined my plans."

Meg laughed and pushed away from him. "Your plans? What were you planning then?"

"I was going to help you unpack, then take you for dinner and drinks."

"We did all that."

Zane rolled his eyes. "Yeah, with company."

"Zane, your friends are fun. I had a good time and I don't feel like such a moron for being taken advantage of." Meg smiled and clasped his hands. "And you're right. We're together now and we can have fun anytime we want."

"Yeah. Well, at least when I'm in town."

Meg nodded. "Exactly." She leaned forward to hug him and kissed his cheek. "Now you have to go because I'm exhausted."

He laughed and stood up. "All right. Good night, Meg."

"'Night, Zane."

She watched him go and let her breath out as her door clicked shut. Then she flopped backwards on her bed and pressed her palms to her stomach, trying to calm the fluttery sensation there.

Just friends.

****

Meg's first few days in New Jersey were busy, to say the least. She set out to find a place to live, something harder than she would have thought or at least finding something in her price range was harder. Still, she devoted her first couple days to checking the newspaper and on-line listings and then visiting several places.

MugsyB
MugsyB
2,729 Followers