One Fine Day

Story Info
Cara gets Jack into trouble.
2k words
3.59
13.3k
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

February 2000

It was a busy night at The Haunt. Cara was having trouble remembering all the orders from all the tables she had to cover. After already having worked three months, she was used to the normal hustle and bustle that ensued during the normal weekday and had even adapted to handling the rowdy groups on weekends. But she had yet to get accustomed to the all out insanity that occurred on the Thursday of exam week. She missed the first one last semester since she hadn't yet begun to work, but she remembered the second one with horrifying clarity. She had been so surprised that she hadn't been fired after that experience probably because she had managed to destroy more glassware than was currently housed in the China Room at the White House. Exam week happened twice a semester at the University and because all the exams were given at night, Thursday was always the night when everyone had finally finished. Undergrads poured in to celebrate having survived the grueling week of exams and usually graduate students could be seen downing a few drinks before having to head out to get a good night sleep in preparation of having to grade all the exams.

Cara was more burdened tonight than usual because Sara, a fellow employee, was stuck proctoring the late exam tonight and wouldn't be in until 10:30 p.m. leaving Cara to work more tables than usual. Cara, carrying a tray full of empty glasses, rushed to the kitchen to drop off the orders for the table she sat five minutes ago. Using her back to hold open the swinging doors, she shouted, "Hey Joe. Got anything new for me?"

"I've finished the two orders for table 6 and the steaks for table 11 will be done in thirty seconds if you wait around for them," Joe replied, flipping over two burgers on the grill.

"Ok. Just let me fill these up and then I'll hurry right back to give you the new orders." Hoisting the tray up onto her shoulder she headed back toward the dinning area.

Cara was just about to head back to drop off the new orders for Joe when she heard her name. She turned in the direction of the shout and saw Kristin and her usual crowd of girlfriends. She and Kristin were both engineers and had taken many classes together and they had become good friends, often choosing to do assignments and projects together. Abby and Julie were both pre-vets and Cara had liked them often hanging out with them and Kristin a couple nights a month whenever she had off. However, the fourth girl at the table, Christina had been someone that Cara had almost detested on sight. She was a flamboyant, ego-centric girl who loved to draw attention from everything else in the room to herself. Whether it helped her being a marketing major or was just her personality, Cara had just a gut feeling that Christina was someone to beware of. And Cara had learned long ago to trust her gut. Thankfully, the group chose Thursdays, when Cara worked, to be their weekly dinner together so she never really had to interact with Christina other than taking her order.

As Cara turned and made her way towards the table Kristin called out, "Hey Cara! How are you doing tonight?"

"Good Kristin. Can I get your guys the usual?"

Kristin looked around to get confirming nods before responding, "Yeah. Hey, I never got to talk to you about what you thought of the 350 exam yesterday."

"I was completely shocked that Stevens actually expected us to draw out the full thermodynamic cyclic process for the refrigerator, especially after he said it wouldn't be on the test," Cara said rolling her eyes in obvious frustration. "But otherwise it wasn't that much different from the practice exam."

"Well, I definitely want to talk to you more about it. When do you get your break?"

Cara looked over her shoulder at the clock on the back wall. "About 20 minutes or so."

"Well, come back and join us when you get a chance."

"Sure thing. For now, let me get your orders in and then I'll be back as soon as I can."

Twenty minutes, Cara was seated at the girls' table with her order of chicken fingers and fries, listening to how exams went, weekend plans, and general college gossip.

"Speaking of plans," Christina said silkily, "Jack is working the bar tonight." As expected, every girl at the table turned to get a look at him working. Cara had been too busy earlier with all the extra tables to contemplate the person who had taken up a significant amount of her thoughts recently, but as she looked over her shoulder to the gorgeous man behind the bar, she couldn't help but appreciate the gift God had bestowed on the female clientele of the Haunt. At 24, Jack Thompson was definitely a man that had just begun to hit his physical peak. He stood six feet, three inches and had a sleek, muscular body from being an All-American swimmer as an undergraduate. Someone had once compared Jack to a high performance sports car and while she disliked the idea of objectifying anyone, she did agree that Jack gave all the impressions of being an extremely wild ride. Now, in his second year as a graduate student, he spent all of his free time working at the Haunt or building himself quite the reputation as a young, charismatic, hedonist man that made all the girls quiver in erotic awareness and inevitably, disappointed hopes. Jack saw a lot of women and there was never a single complaint out of any of them until Jack ended it. And of course, all the girls would primp and flirt in the hopes that they'd be different from all the others that had gone before them. Cara was level headed enough to know to stay away from him; better to admire him from a far than risk being burnt by the fire that was Jack Thompson.

"Yeah, well, it is a Thursday," Cara commented in what she hoped came out as an unaffected tone of voice. "He always works Thursdays." Cara smiled and looked around the table with a teasing look in her eyes, "I thought it was one of the reasons you chose to have your weekly meal on Thursdays. Less crowded and an unobstructed view of Mr. Hunk-man behind the bar."

"Shh -- Cara! Someone could hear you!" Abby practically hissed in mortification.

Christina just laughed, Cara thought it almost came out as an evil cackle. "I don't mind if we get hottie-over-there's attention. In fact, I think it's about time that someone with some skill and finesse finally snared him," Christina said staring blatantly at her intended target.

"Snare him?" Kristin commented laughingly. "Gosh, you make him sound like some kind of animal to be caught and turned into a household pet."

"Of course. Every woman worth her salt knows that that's what they really are. You have to train them to obey, win them over with little treats; you have to tame them."

"Like a game?" Kristin said but with a decided lack of humor this time. Abby and Julie were just as surprised as Kristin by the turn in the conversation but refrained from getting involved anymore than just sitting at the table.

Cara, on the other hand, was getting more and more fed-up with Christina with each syllable that came out of her mouth. "Don't you think that's a little bit, shall we say, chauvinistic of you, Christina?" said Cara with a definite bite of disdain.

Christina gave her a glance that raised Cara hackles "It's not wrong if it works." and said with what could only be described as smug, false pity, "You'd know that if you had a man."

Cara was utterly furious. She desperately wanted to reach across the table and just slug Christina. Cara also happened to know that that would all but confirm to Christina that she'd managed to get to her. Instead she decided to simply let Christina know she could dish the dirt as well as she could take it. "Well, let me tell you what, I don't think you have a shot in hell with Jack. He usually picks girls with a little more class than you. That's what I think." Cara stood up and collected her dishes, "Well girls it's been... stimulating. But I need to get back to work. See you later."

Cara went back towards the employee coat rack, where Sara had just taken off her light spring jacket.

"Hey Sara, thank god you finally got here. I couldn't imagine trying to work the rest of the night without your much appreciated help and welcome company." Cara smiled at her.

"Hey girl! I thought that exam would never end." Sara leaned forward and gave Cara a brief hug and a peck on the cheek. However, when she straightened she had a very serious look on her face. "Cara, what did you say to Christina?"

"Nothing -- why?"

Sara looked her in the eyes with humorous curiosity. "Hon, if looks could kill you'd be swimming in a giant fish tank with piranhas. And she'd be watching."

"Ugh. Serves me right not to let it go. She was eyeing Jack and being completely disgusting about it. So I told her that she didn't have a chance in hell with him."

"And that alone set her off?"

"Well, I may have made a comment about class... and how she was lacking it."

Sara just started laughing. "Well that would do it. Well, Cara. I guess you threw the gauntlet down. Let's just hope Jack doesn't fall for it."

"What? You think he will?"

"I don't know," Sara said thoughtfully. "I mean, she's definitely pretty enough to be his type. Plus, Cara honey, you completely challenged Christina's so called 'feminine wiles' and now she's going to try to prove you wrong with a single minded determine-ness that will lead to one of two options: either she gets her man, or she'll keep trying until he files sexual harassment charges and slaps her with a restraining order.

"Oh shit. You really think so?"

Sara looked at Cara over her shoulder while the two girls walked toward the sinks to wash their hands. "Hell, even pressing charges may not stop her."

"Crap," Cara muttered while soaping up her hands. "You're right."

"Yup and you know what that means." She said with a twinkle in her eye. "You've got to tell Jack."

"But-"

"Hey, hey, no buts! You got him into this mess, you have an obligation to let him know what kind of she-beast you've unleashed on him."

Laughing, Cara just resigned herself to the truth. "Ok, we have clean up tonight. I'll tell him then."

Sara had started putting on her apron when Cara made the reference to clean up duty tonight so she stopped and said hopefully, "Speaking of clean up..."

"Oh right!, I forgot. Liam called around 9 to say that he'll be here around 1 and if he should pick you up her or just meet you at your place."

"Yeah, I know." Sara smiled, Liam loved leaving messages at work for her. He said that it was his way of making sure all her coworkers knew she was taken. "He left the same message on my cell. So, would you mind terribly if I bailed early tonight. I really want to go back early and slip into something hot for him." Sara made a mock sexy face at Cara.

Laughing, Cara teased, "Well, I don't know what makes you think I'm so easy. You're going to have to convince me."

"I'll do clean on Saturday night."

Cara thought about it a second before answering, "O.K. But won't Liam still be visiting then?"

"Yeah, but by then I figure he'll have gotten enough of me to let me cover your shift," Sara said looking like a cat that had been served a giant bowl of cream. Winking at her, she then headed toward the tables saying, "Back to work girl, and if I don't remember later, call me tomorrow and give me details on how it goes with Jack tonight!"