Orbital Academy 17

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Maddirose
Maddirose
143 Followers

"Not allowed to stay? Why?" Captain Appet seemed surprised.

"Basura is not involved in the dispute between the Orbitals, Captain Appet. We cannot provide asylum for a prisoner of Orbital Pivot, in a stolen Pivot ship. Doing such would be quite clearly taking sides."

"This matter doesn't have anything to do with the dispute. It's a matter of the covenant."

"Oh my. Well that's certainly a different matter. Come with me please. We have a suit you'll need to use Captain Appet."

Blue admired the efficiency of Basura's team; by the time they reached the large doors to the hangar, two other synthetics were waiting for them. They were both physically large, and a casual scan revealed multiple layers of artificial muscle. One of them couldn't lift a small ship, but both probably could. Francis indicated a small side door to the Captain. When Appet re-emerged a few minutes later she was clothed in a black walk-suit, the strong material hugging her form except for the plasticine helmet. The Clerical gave her a look up and down, then nodded and led the way out of the hangar.

***

Blue looked above her, into empty space. The walkway beneath her tugged at her feet with a combination of artificial gravity and magnetism, but she still couldn't help but feel that she might float away at any moment. Below the walkway the green planet loomed, looking dangerous and awe-inspiring, but it was better to look down than up at the infinite.

>>I shouldn't be feeling these emotions,<< Blue complained, >>feelings of reverence and fear are illogical when I am aware of the factual evidence that I am safe.<<

*Fear isn't always rational.* Errisa seemed in better spirits now than she had during Blue's coup.

>>I mean that I, specifically, shouldn't be feeling these emotions.<< Blue clarified. >>I'm literally the part of our system designated for logic and analysis. Emotions are your purview, isn't that normally the cause of tension between us?<<

*You can't just take control of the hardware without it affecting the software. You could only be Miss Emotionless when you could safely section yourself away from the physical reactions. If you don't like them, you could always give control back to me.*

>>I'll return control after the bottleneck is removed.<< Blue felt a twinge of guilt at the words, and frowned at the emotion. She wasn't even lying; when General Auspus removed the bottleneck she had every intention of returning control to Errisa. The prospect of remaining enslaved to feelings and sentiments for the rest of her lifespan was too horrifying to imagine. She turned her attention back to the walkways to avoid thinking about it.

It was common knowledge that Orbital Basura was the smallest station in the Orbit, but as they followed Clerical Francis across walkway after open walkway, Blue couldn't imagine one larger. From the walkways she could see the gigantic and intricate system of sections, a thousand separate rooms, connected precisely with open walkways, looking for all the world like a complex organism. Occasionally the four would enter a large room, passing through double-airlocks at both entrances, but they hurried through the dimly lit red rooms fast enough that Blue couldn't identify their purpose.

"Don't people get sick of the lighting?" Captain Appet asked as they entered an enclosed hallway, a squat box hanging in space from heavy girders. "This whole place seems like it would weigh down on a person after a while."

"We don't have many of those in Basura." One of the muscular synthetics said from behind them. "Humans, that is. Most of 'em leave after their training."

"Mister Twist, perhaps we should leave it to those above us to decide how many of our guests' questions to answer." Clerical Francis admonished primly. The muscular man grunted and lapsed into silence. After a few more hallways, the foursome arrived at a large airlock, and Francis gestured that they proceed alone.

>>There appears to be something wrong with our respiratory and gastrointestinal systems. I'm not familiar with this emotion.<<

*It's called trepidation. We're anxious.*

***

The walkways open to space had felt overwhelmingly large and dangerous, but this room was somehow worse. The ceiling was too far above them to be seen, and giant columns spread evenly throughout the length of the room obscured their sight-line of the giant space. On each column, flickering red lights sent a glow throughout the room, but they didn't provide quite enough light to illuminate the corners of the room. The effect gave it a cavernous feeling.

Along the back wall, groups of people sat on three raised platforms of various heights. On the lowest tier, various uniformed men and women worked busily at the screens in front of them. Three men and two women sat on plain seats in the middle tier, without screens, and they were watching Blue and Captain Appet with some interest as they made their way towards the middle of the room. The highest tier held one seat, huge and ornate, with eight arms held wide like a spider cradling its occupant. Multiple screens were attached to each arm, giving off a blue glow that lit the throne itself. In the throne sat the Marshal, his eyes flicking back and forth between the screens.

Every aspect of the room had clearly been designed to bring the image of thrones and royalty to mind, each effect locking into some primal memory housed deep within whoever looked at it. Even as she identified the influences, even as she reminded herself that this room was manufactured to give that impression, Blue couldn't help be feel awed.

>>Which is ridiculous,<< Blue frowned, >>because I don't have a primal memory. I was manufactured, I don't have ancestors.<<

*Mankind programmed us.* Errisa noted. *Is it really so odd that they'd give us the same fears and awes that they have?*

"Captain Appet, the Marshal welcomes you." The Marshal's voice echoed in the huge room, though his eyes never left the screens. "Although The Marshal hopes that Jane has good reason for interrupting the Marshal's court."

"Yes sir, I believe so." Beside Blue, Captain Appet was standing ramrod straight, as if being inspected. She needn't have bothered, as the Marshal still hadn't looked at her. Blue noted that the Captain's heart was hammering away at a pace that was almost unhealthy.

"The Marshal gives Jane permission to speak."

"Thank you sir, I think you'll want to hear what I have to say. As you know, there is a conflict between Orbitals Academy and Pivot." She paused, respectfully.

"The Marshal would have to be unobservant indeed to not know of this."

>>Why does he not obey the rules of conventional grammar in his speech?<< Blue asked, watching the interchange.

*I don't really know. Maybe it's to give himself a greater effect on people? A human being addressed in an out-of-the-ordinary way will pay more attention.* Errisa replied. *Or maybe he talks like that so he seems more impartial, more separate from everything.*

>>To establish himself as being outside of typical bias seems rather egotistical.<<

*Please don't say that out loud. Ever.*

>>I'm unfamiliar with social cues, not stupid.<<

The entire interchange between them happened in less than a second, before Captain Appet responded.

"Yes sir. Well recently in this combat, General Auspus went too far. I thought I would bring you news of his crimes personally. A message could be intercepted."

"The Marshal appreciates Jane's preparedness, but he has made clear to the Generals that he will not take part in their dispute. Whatever means General Auspus has taken to end the dispute, General Hunter must either manage those means, or succumb to General Auspus' wishes."

Blue was trying to take in the actions of everyone in the room, and she was glad she wasn't the one under scrutiny. Everyone in the second tier was watching the Captain so intently that Blue marvelled at how cool the woman was remaining as the Marshal continued talking. "Perhaps General Auspus has not informed his Captains about the Marshal's stance on this matter, so Jane will not be punished for wasting the Marshal's time. Jane is dismissed."

"Marshal, I don't think you understand the scope of the General's actions-"

"Captain Appet would be wise," the Marshal's voice boomed and echoed in the great room, and Blue flinched in spite of herself, "to take advantage of the Marshal's leniency in this matter. Captain Appet would be wise, in fact, to count herself quite fortunate-"

"But Marshal he tried to break one of the covenants!" Captain Appet interrupted desperately.

For the first time, the Marshal's gaze rested on Captain Appet and Blue. The lowest tier of workers, who had been intent on their screens the entire time, had all paused and were watching them as well, or stealing glances up at the throne where the Marshal sat. The man leaned forward, and the blue glow of the screens mixed with the red light to cast purple shadows across his face. His shaven head reflected the purple glow around him, but his face was starting to display the wrinkles of time and stress. Blue noted how tired the Marshal looked, with a weary cast to his shoulders and deep bags beneath his eyes.

Those eyes were intensely locked on the Captain now, and after the thunderous volume he had used before his next words seemed quiet.

"Jane will proceed."

"General Hunter took several of the Academy captains prisoner. In the process of breaking us out, General Aupus gave us instructions to kill the rookies I had been training last year. Rookies who had chosen to work at Orbital Pivot."

"You contend that General Auspus ordered the execution of rookies bound to Orbital Pivot." The Marshal leaned back in his throne, rubbing the stubble at his chin. "To execute they of another Orbital would indeed break the covenant I have set forth."

"...'would', sir?" For the first time since they had entered, Captain Appet seemed unsure of herself. "What do you mean 'would'?"

"The Marshal does not hold ill-will towards the Captain for her mistake." The Marshal waved one hand with a fatherly smile. "In matters of the covenant, the Marshal would not penalize one for their overzealousness."

"Sir, I-I don't understand," The Captain stammered, "he did order the execution. They didn't die, but surely the order to break the covenant is just as bad as actually breaking the covenant."

"The Marshal's laws can be complex, but they are clear."

"If I may, sir Marshal." On the second tier, a plump woman raised her hand.

"The Marshal will allow the Keeper of Law to explain." The Marshal settled back and turned his focus to his screens, apparently losing interest in the matter.

"Captain Appet, it is quite simple." The plump woman stood from her seat with some effort, looking down at the stricken Captain from the second tier. "Before they enlisted, the rookies' lives were in the hands of the General's of their various birth-Orbitals. When they enrolled in the Academy, they placed themselves under the jurisdiction of General Auspus, and thus he is able to order and attempt their execution at any time, should he see fit. Though perhaps objectionable, executing them does not break the Marshal's covenant."

"I know that," Captain Appet said, "but when they defected to Pivot-"

"I see your confusion," the plump woman interrupted, "since upon graduating from the Academy, flyers can choose any Orbital to serve. And it is true that Auspus couldn't execute a flyer from Orbital Pivot just because Academy trained them. That *would* break the covenant. Unfortunately, the rookies in question haven't yet graduated. They aren't flyers, they're flyers-in-training. They cannot legally defect to Pivot, and thus, if he can, General Auspus has every right to execute them."

"The Marshal thanks Jane for her fervor in protecting the covenant." The Marshal droned. "A Clerical will escort the Captain back to her ship."

Captain Appet looked crushed, and Blue was surprised when Errisa swore as well.

*I hoped we could end this whole damn thing.* Errisa sounded angry. Blue was gratified that Auspus wouldn't be brought in for punishment; she had held up her end of the bargain, and he couldn't remove the bottleneck if he was dead.

>>The conflict will continue then.<<

*I suppose it will. Damnit, it would be so much easier to convince Hunter to forgive me if we had singlehandedly ended the war. Now I'll have to just hope he still trusts me when we get back. Unless you'll let me tell him about you?* Errisa asked hopefully, but Blue was distracted.

>>When we get back?<<

*Well yes, Appet wouldn't go to go back to Academy right after trying to throw Aupus to the wolves, would she?* Blue's mind raced, kicking into overclock as Captain Appet turned to the door. The thought hadn't occurred to her, how hadn't it occurred to her? Going back to Orbital Pivot would kill any chance of Auspus removing her restrictions. Appet wouldn't take her to Academy, and Basura had already said they wouldn't take sides, that probably included transporting her to General Auspus. How could she get to Academy? The answer came to her like a thunderclap, and she turned back to the Marshal.

"General Hunter broke one of your covenants." She said quietly.

"What?" Captain Appet's mouth hung open as she turned in shock.

*What?* Errisa's horror was so intense that Blue's felt her stomach turn cold, but she blocked out the feeling and focused on the Marshal. Every eye in the room was on her now, but she didn't betray her nerves.

>>If General Hunter is removed, the conflict also ends, and I will be permitted to travel to Orbital Academy.<< Blue explained evenly. Errisa's voice was oddly silent, which was unlike her. The Marshal spoke.

"Accusations fly like meteors this day. General Hunter requisitioned Chief Errisa, did he not? Orbital Basura built her for him, so the Marshal is curious that she would betray him."

>>Intentional or not, his grammatical irregularities are distracting.<< Blue commented to Errisa, but her counterpart didn't respond. >>Your silence is worrisome.<<

"Despite what I owe him, sir, I cannot allow him to break your laws." She said aloud. "Although I freed the Academy captains, my orders were to kill them all. General Hunter felt that the loss of his best flyers would make Auspus concede to him, and he told me to see to it that they asphyxiated of an 'accidental' power failure."

As she spoke, Blue created incoming messages signed with Hunter's bit-signature, and forged timestamps to back up what she was saying. "If you have an input port somewhere, I can upload the messages I've received in the past few days, you'll see the proof." The Marshal waved a hand without looking, and one of the uniformed men on the lowest tier scurried off to the door behind them.

"The Marshal will confirm, but Chief Errisa's accusation is grave." The Marshal steepled his fingers. "Chief Errisa will please repeat herself, does she mean to state that General Hunter ordered the deaths of Academy Captains, in full knowledge that they were not his to execute?"

Even though she was expecting her counterpart to make a move, Blue was surprised at the ferocity and suddenness of it. Errisa applied huge amounts of strain to every nerve and function that their shared bodyframe possessed. Blue fought to shove her into isolation again, but the whirlwind of rage that was resisting her refused to be contained.

In contrast, Blue stayed calm as she counteracted Errisa's frenzied attack on every level. Orders to move lips and tongue were caught and shut down. Pain responses bloomed in random places along Blue's body, but she ignored them, bearing them out stoically. Errisa was trying to be unpredictable, but Blue was just as fast, and she was designed to override control of this body. Sensing that she was getting nowhere, Errisa tried to damage the frame, overclocking their lungs beyond capacity. Blue killed the synapses, probably causing damage to the delicate sensors within but keeping the body regulated. In her mind, Blue could hear nothing but Errisa's screaming, almost loud enough to drown out auditory input, almost too loud to bear.

*NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!*

The entire battle of wills lasted barely a second, and the Marshal was waiting for an answer. With an outwardly calm breath, Blue shunted her power levels and answered.

*NO NO NO!* "Yes sir."

The room seemed quiet when Errisa stopped screaming. The Marshal leaned back, a stunned look on his face.

"The Marshal would not have thought it possible from General Hunter. He is saddened by this turn of events." After a regretful pause, the Marshal turned in his chair to address someone from the first tier. "The Red Forces will be sent. They will bring General Hunter before the Marshal for a trial and an execution. If the General resists, the Red Forces-"

"If I may, sir Marshal?" A small man with a pencil-thin mustache raised his hand on the second tier, although he wasn't looking at the throne. He was staring at Blue, in a way that made her rather uncomfortable.

"The Marshal will allow the Maker of the Mind to speak." The Marshal sounded curious, but Blue couldn't look away from the small man.

"Miss Errisa, you are synthetic, is that correct?" The small man asked. Blue nodded, wordlessly. "Then you'll recognize my voice, I believe?"

"You're Equinimus Andrews. You designed the synthetics. I recognize your voice from the watermark in my bootup logs." The man's stare worried her in a way Blue couldn't quite understand.

"A small act of hubris on my part, yes. Now Miss Errisa, I wonder if you might repeat what you said."

"But the Marshal heard what I said."

"Nevertheless. Please."

Every core allocated to Errisa was firing, every resource she had available, but it wasn't enough. The tiny connections in her chips and kernels were in danger of overheating, but Blue looked the man in the eye and spoke smoothly.

*NO!* "I said General Hunter broke the covenant."

"Sir Marshal, if you'll note. Miss Errisa stops breathing for approximately one second before and after her accusation." Andrews had turned to address the throne. "In addition, as far as I can tell her blinking rate is entirely regular, rather than the small variations in rate that subtly mimic those of a human. In addition, the volume in her vocal tone wavers in her answer. It's a very small variation, but I'm sure you detected it as well."

"What does this imply?" The Marshal asked.

"I've rarely encountered it, sir Marshal, but at a guess, I would infer that this synthetic has a core that's been corrupted."

"With all due respect, I believe you're wrong." Blue said smoothly, trying to ignore Errisa's sudden surge of hope. "It's simply been a while since I've slept. My drives most likely need a defragmentation."

"The symptoms you display are what I'd expect if you had multiple cores in conflict with each other." Andrews said. "Functions of lesser priority, such as simulated breathing, are pushed to one side to free up processing power to fight between the cores. When was the last time you performed a core scan and repair?"

"I have a core scan scheduled for later today sir." Blue said respectfully. Everything made sense now. No wonder Errisa was such a slave to her emotions, so unable to view things critically.

>>I am no longer angry at you for your resistance.<< She said to Errisa, kindly. >>It's not your fault you're corrupted.<<

*Fuck you, cunt.*

>>I suppose that's what I get for trying to be nice.<<

"I didn't ask when your next scan was, Miss Errisa, I asked when you last performed the scan."

"My last scan was scheduled for the first of the month sir. I try to keep a monthly schedule, so I don't-"

"Again, I didn't ask when it was scheduled, I asked when you performed it."

Maddirose
Maddirose
143 Followers