Ouroboros Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The odd way she said it reminded him of something. 'He has pheromones' Boros remembered Gabrielle saying. But wasn't that only in his dragon form? He had to tell her. The way she said it wasn't right. If she was drugged then any relationship they had was a fraud, a rape.

"Shihong. Wait." Boros held her back. "Gabrielle said I have pheromones, that might be what you're picking up on."

"I know." she said simply. "She told me. She was so happy when she did. There are hundreds of thousands of species who give off pheromones. But until Gabrielle met you she had never met someone who gave them off as strongly as I do."

It was Boros' turn to be shocked. 'What?'

"What did you say?"

She nuzzled into his chest. "Can't you smell mine?" she asked. "I give off pheromones too."

"What are you?" Boros asked. He wasn't concerned if it was rude or impolite. He had that itchy feeling in the back of his mind that said he was missing something.

"Gabrielle didn't know what I was, but I had the gift for will magic so she trained me as a sorceress. Aside from that, I've been a mystery to her."

"Will you get mad at me if I ask how old you are?" Boris asked tentatively.

She giggled, still nuzzling against his chest. He couldn't believe how distracting that wan. "Of course not. I'm fifty three." She answered.

If Boris had been guessing her age, he would have thought early twenties. But the most important thing he could think of at that moment was that she wouldn't be leaving in a couple of days. She could. No, she wanted to stay with him. That filled his heart with joy.

"So. Are we still on for dinner later?" Shihong asked him.

Still riding the rush of endorphins he pulled her into a hug and whispered in her ear. "Nothing on earth could stop it."

Nancy and Sam had finished their chat and had been watching the new couple. Shihong had started making that sound again, the one between a purr and a chitter but once Boros finally stopped talking he began to make thee same sound, but in a much lower register as he held the young woman in his arms. It was almost hypnotizing until boros abruptly stopped and jerked back.

Boros, for the first time in his life was holding a female in his arms. She felt so good there, so right. He let his mind wander, thinking how good it would feel to have someone in his life to lean on and hold. They could share their experiences and ... How could he ever share his experiences with this goddess? Sure there were some good ones but the bad ones were countless. He had taken lives. Hundreds of them! His more than a century and a half of living had been fighting for his life with only brief reprieves of peace. How could he share that with anyone.

***

Admiral Bill Hampton had appreciated everyone giving him some space. While he mourned his loss, made fresh by the intriguing man Boros, it was also made more tolerable than it ever had been. When he finally came back to himself he passed the time while getting himself back under control by watching the two groups of couples. Director Bowen, Nancy, and her werewolf bodyguard were talking familiarly between themselves. The interesting young man who had given him such a profound gift was with the girl Shihong. It was those two who really captured his attention. He could tell by their body language that the girl already considered herself to be with Boros. Ouroboros. Funny name, that. But the girl had already set her sights on the lad. Boros himself, Bill could tell, was working his way through the maze that was a woman's mind. Bill was able to tell when the lad had finished doing the math that the girl had probably done in the first ten seconds of meeting him.

Bill recognized the contentment on both of their faces. He was happy for them. There is absolutely nothing like love, especially the first stages of it. Hell, he had known men and women, actually mostly women, who got caught up in it, who were addicted to that rush of feeling. It was sad though, as soon as that newness wore off they were off the find their next rush. They didn't seem to understand that what came after, though it required work, was the biggest rush of all. At some point during his reminiscing Boros' posture had changed. He wasn't looking at Bill, but Bill could see his eyes. He knew that look. Some people called it the thousand yard stare. There were some that referred to the eyes that held that look as tombstones, eyes as hard as gravestone marble, a testament of the dead. Regardless of what you called it, his was a look of someone who had taken lives and, it weighed on his soul.

Considering the context, them being all lovey dovey one moment and him having that look the next. Well there aren't many things cause that transition in a man. Bill knew it. His one true love was able to shoulder the burden that he put on her. He knew that Shihong could do it too, probably easier than his Juliana. He didn't know how he knew, but he did.

"It's okay Boros." Bill called out to him hoping to repay some of the peace of mind that Boros had given him. "She'll understand."

***

Bills voice cut through what Boros was thinking. How did he know what had been going through Boros' head? How did he know that Shihong would understand? He hoped she would. "So, now that we cleared that up, are we still on for dinner?" Boros asked Shihong. He gave Bill a nod, acknowledging his appreciation for the help.

"Does your hotel have room service? She asked forwardly

Boros sighed. "Unfortunately I checked out this morning. I was planning on staying on one of the ships I intend to buy today."

Instead of being disappointed Shihong's eyes brightened. "So what you're saying is you came here for a ship, and you will have a ship?" she convulsed in a shiver. "I like your single mindedness. Can we order in then?"

Boros, laughed, humorously. "I wouldn't suggest that unless you like cold food. Someone from the front gate would have to bring it to us, after it had been searched. I don't know about you, but I don't like the idea of someone pawing through my food." Boros shrugged. "Why don't I cook for us?"

Shihong melted at that. "You can cook?" she asked.

Boros nodded and explained that he had lived on his own almost the entirety of his life.

"Bill? Is the kitchen operational?" Boros asked.

"Why don't we look at the rest of the ship before you go and buy your girlfriend a billion dollar dinner?" Bill asked lightly.

"That sounds like a plan. Where do you suggest we look first?" Boros asked lightheartedly. He was still thing of the big picture, but it was muffled under the fact that Boros had finally found someone. He hadn't even realized how important it was to him before it happened.

Boros was still holding Shihong in his arms. The sound she was making was very distracting. It was like he couldn't keep hold of any thought besides holding her. Bill had been trying to say more than he did.

"This is a pretty big ship." Sam commented. "Where should we start. Besides the kitchen that is." He winked at Boros and Shihong.

Bill didn't even hesitate a second. "The bridge. That's where you need to start, Boros. From what I understand, everything is operational. Whatever else you want to change about this old boat should start with the ship's systems and how you can interact with them from the bridge. You can live on rations and sleep on the floor, but you want the capabilities of your ship to take priority." Bill lectured.

"I think you're right." he told Bill. "Business first." he whispered to Shihong. "Then I can dazzle you with a romantic dinner."

The bridge ended up being on the same level as the main officers lounge a few halls over followed by a short walk. Bill went in first followed by Boros, Shihong, Nancy, and finally Sam. The overhead lights were on and provided them all with a view of the core command area after they cleared the wall that quartered it.

The bridge consisted consisted of of seven different consoles, on two different tiers, arranged in a circle sunken into the floor. On the first there was navigation, communications, and shields. The second contained Piloting, weapons, and engineering. In the center was the captain's console and chair on a raised platform halfway between the two tiers. Across the entire front of the bridge was a huge window where you could look out over the rest of the ship. Seven hundred fifty kilometers of spacecraft stretched out in front of that window, reminding Boros how huge the Star Cruiser actually was.

The entire bridge design seemed off for some reason, antiquated. Boros knew Bill was right about the point he made. He would need to become much more familiar with what this ship was capable of and what he wanted to change before he redesigned the bridge to his specifications. On the tail of that thought came another. If he recruited his command crew first, their experience and suggestions would help everything to move not only more smoothly, but more swiftly.

"I've seen enough here." Boros informed Bill, "What's next?"

"You haven't even sat in your chair yet!" Bill exclaimed. "That is usually the first thing that any Captain does when he comes onto the bridge of his new ship."

Shaking his head, Boros explained. "No, this isn't my bridge, and that's not my chair. When I'm finished with it, it will be. But not yet."

After they left the bridge, Bill took them on a complete tour of the new ship. About the only thing that Boros found to his satisfaction were the number and locations of the many rooms for passengers and that the kitchens were in fact functional. That isn't to say that they weren't badly in need of an upgrade.

After the tour, they once again gathered in the main officers lounge. Boros, after Gabrielle had shared her idea with him, had spent the rest of the previous day familiarizing himself with the latest and most advanced starship technologies. Drives, thrusters, shield modulators, weaponry, power systems, and a hundred other things all the way down to power distribution and wiring. But right then, all he had was knowledge without any experience.

As soon as everyone was settled in, after Bill once again played barkeep, Boros came right out and asked. "Okay, Bill. This ship wasn't even state of the art when it was built almost thirty years ago. I am going to have to spend a hefty sum to get her ready for what I have planned. What's she going to cost me?"

Ready for the question, the Admiral immediately answered. "Five hundred million. Tha..."

"Are you kidding me?" Nancy exclaimed. "That's less than what Santos was trying to get, but still almost twice as much as it should be!"

For the first time, Bill directed a less than pleased look at one of their party. "If you will please let me finish, Director?" Without waiting for a response, Bill repeated himself. "Five hundred million. That would include a complete overhaul of the infrastructure, power couplings, wiring, relays, life support, dampeners, all of it, and the best of it that is available to the military. I'll also prioritize the refit so that the entire job will take under two weeks. Also, half off the discounted price for Ambassadors on all core systems, not including weaponry. What do you think?" He asked Boros but he was looking at Nancy, who remained silent with her eyes wide.

When the ship was built, the technology of today was still in it's infancy. Many positions that would have required being manned could now be automated. So much so that a crew of three well trained and capable people could efficiently pilot this vessel. It would just take money and time. But the offer was a good one. Boros tried to get a little more. "If I can add three more things, we have a deal."

Bills eyes narrowed. "I'm listening.

"First, you also prioritize the weapons refit with in the same way." Boros started.

"I don't have a problem with that. All military weapon refits happen on the orbital shipyard. I'll help you place the orders here and they'll be waiting for you up there. It shouldn't take more than two or three days if you intend to swap out every hardpoint. Second?"

"Second, I'm also going to be purchasing support ships to dock in the hangar. One of those ships will be a Corvette. I'd like the same deal for that as the Star Cruiser. I'll buy one of the older decommissioned models if we can get it upgraded the same way."

Bill thought about that. "Deal. What's the third?"

"I would like to also purchase without any further discount, two state of the art Gunships and four interstellar transports, all Aires class.

"What in God's name could you want those for?" The Aires class Gunships would be a hard sell to high command because it was exclusively for the use of marine special teams. It had the most advanced weaponry, armoring, shields, engines, and drives. It could also go toe to toe with any non-ship of the line and come out victorious by a wide margin. The Aires class transports were something that he could authorize on the spot, but those specific transports were the kind used to evacuate cities under orbital bombardment. They were heavily armored and shielded with advanced weaponry and could move very fast both in and between systems.

"I told you I was planning on setting up some experimental colonies. I'm planning on leaving two of the transports on each one in addition to providing much more than the standard colonization packages. I want them to succeed and I want each one thriving within two years time."

"I wasn't going to ask, but you're throwing around an awful lot of money here. Where did you amass such a fortune?"

"Bill. I'm one hundred sixty years old. I've been around for a long time and I spent most of that time constructively." Boros thought about telling him more but decided against it. The truth can come later if the Admiral proves himself trustworthy. But a secret spoken can never be recalled. "I won't tell you how I can afford this, but I will tell you that I made my money legally and legitimately."

Bil studied him for a moment. "I'll accept that. But I have a favor to ask of you in return. I'd like to be kept abreast of your colonization endeavors." Bill let out a frustrated sigh. "I've been pushing for Preternaturals to be allowed in the SSA for years now. I know that is is in the best interest of everyone to have it that way. By not letting them in, we aren't just hurting our own defense, we are alienating some very powerful allies. But that isn't the main reason I feel that way. It's bigotry, prejudice, and hypocrisy to not let them in." he shook his head. "You can't on one hand say that a group of people are citizens and have every right that the rest of the population shares and also tell that group that they don't at the same time."

"It goes further than that." Nancy spoke up. "They aren't just not allowed to participate in the military or law enforcement. They are also not permitted to participate in politics or hold government positions. As it stands now, preternatural citizens have no say over what happens or the laws that are made. That's why I try to work so closely with Gabrielle. Other territory Directors don't always work together with the Consuls."

She continued. "As soon as Gabrielle told us of her idea I've had some of the people I trust putting out feelers for like minded settlers for the first colony. Not just in this territory, but in others as well, you'll need a broad variety of skills, Boros, but you'll also need humans that wont fight against working together with preternaturals."

Bill and Sam were both nodding. "As to your third condition, I can authorize the transports. But I'll have to talk to high command about the Gunships. It's a very restricted piece of technology. Give me a moment." Bill put his drink down on the table, stood up, and left the room. Presumably to make a call to his superiors.

Shihong had been leaning against Boros' shoulder throughout the exchange. "Gabrielle mentioned she'd be sending some of her people up from Miami for me to interview. Any idea when they'll get here?" Boros asked her.

She thought about it for a moment then replied. "They could start showing up as early as tomorrow but it could be any time. I know that she won't wait until she has gathered up everyone and send them all at once. As soon as she finds a candidate, she'll put them on a transport right away. She'll think that it will be easier to interview them if they dribble in than if they all show up at once." Shihong explained. "She'll also most likely look for people who have skills useful on a spaceship before looking for settlers."

"Makes sense." Boros agreed. Not wanting to put her on the spot, but needing to know, he asked, "How about you? Do you have any skills useful on a spaceship I should know about?"

She nodded. "Navigation. I told you I had always been fascinated with space. When I was younger, there were only a handful of human colonies that were just starting out. Gabrielle was at first startled with how quickly I learned and since then, has always encouraged me to follow my passions. I quickly became familiar with the science and practical applications in my teens and I've kept current with the new breakthroughs and technology. Well, civilian technology, at least, I've never had access to the military equivalent."

Very pleased, Boros thought to himself that he'd just found the first member of his bridge crew. "That's excellent. Would you like to be considered for the position of navigator then?"

"What do you mean considered?" she asked jokingly.

Unfortunately, this presented Boros with an opportunity to make something clear. "We are going to be in a very delicate situation shortly. A combination of humans and preternaturals will be both passengers on and crewing the ship. One of the biggest hurdles we will face will be perceived favoritism based on species. The best person for the job will get the job. I don't just mean skill either. Interpersonal skills, knowledge, being a team player, and things I don't even know about yet will all be deciding factors." He said seriously before lightening his tone. "I can say this though. I hope you're the best person for the job."

When she met his gaze, what he saw in her eyes was not something he had expected. He saw lust and arousal, but he also saw respect. "I'm really thinking I am going to like you." she said to him. Then changing the subject, she asked. "When Admiral Hampton gets back you should tell him the same thing and ask him if he knows of anyone who would like to join." she thought about that and added, "You might consider asking anyone from the SSA who joins the crew to be excused from their contract though. Just to minimize any conflicts of interest."

"But dear," Nancy told the girl. "Boros is an officer of the SSA too."

Shihong shook her head. "From what I understand, that's different. Boros has civilian rank as a liaison and an ambassador. That's different than being in the SSA, it's more like he can utilize the SSA and they are obligated to respond but he isn't in anyone's chain of command and only has to respond to special orders from SSA high command."

Nancy mulled that over. "That is a very succinct way of putting it Shihong." the Director nodded in approval.

"Plus, if he want's to recruit people who know their jobs and are familiar with an SSA spaceship then what better recruitment ground is there than from the ranks of the SSA themselves?"

Boros liked the idea but wasn't sure how well it would go over. "I'll ask." He told Shihong, "But Bill may have some objections."

"Just point out that the personnel they release from duty won't have to be paid by the SSA, you would be assuming that responsibility. But you are within your rights to request an attachment from the SSA while you are conducting missions to expand the influence of the Sol System Alliance. And colonization fits the bill perfectly for that." Nancy responded.