Parkers Island Ch. 01

Story Info
This day an island stops to grieve.
14.9k words
4.84
57k
144
20

Part 1 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 10/29/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
markelly
markelly
2,578 Followers

I thought this story too long to read in one go so I broke it down into two chapters. I would like to thank southPacific for his editing this chapter, a truly great job as always.

*****

I had just finished touring the house, saving what I thought to be the best till last. The view across the bay was staggering, and I did wonder how I was ever going to get any work done once I looked out of those windows. Becky knew she had the sale; she couldn't hide her smile, either.

"Didn't I tell you? It ticks every box you asked for, Mr. Thompson."

"Damn, Becky: if you weren't married, I would hug you! Thank you SO much." It still took me a moment to pull my eyes away from the scene that entranced me. Finally, with a sigh of contentment, I looked again at Becky. "I have to return to Houston in an hour. Please get all the paperwork ready; my lawyer will be in touch."

Becky gave me a quick tour of the town while we waited for the ferry. She pointed out the diner and general store, as well as reciting both the town and island's history, before we got on the ferry back to the mainland. She did get her hug when she dropped me alongside my own car before I headed back to the airport. The sale of the house took ten days, and within a month I was all settled in.

In my down time I did my own research on the island. Herbert Parker pretty much owned everything in this area back in the day. He married twice, although the history books got really vague about what happened to them. He was a realist though, and knew he couldn't take it with him, so he broke his wealth down. He parceled up his land and gave it to families that had always been loyal to him. Jonas Beckman was given the island, and he turned a section of it into a town so that the island wouldn't be heavily dependent on anything from the mainland.

The town council had tried a few names over the years. None ever stuck, so they kept Parker's Island, and it thrived. The island itself had twenty eight shops and industrial warehouses of varying usages, plus the ferry dock and one hundred and twelve houses. To me this was perfect, and the thank you letter and personal bonus check I sent to Becky showed how much I appreciated her efforts in finding what I needed.

What didn't occur to me until I had moved in was just how many of those houses were summer retreats. On my walks around the island I figured that just over a quarter of the total were, including the one closest to mine. My routine was the diner for breakfast, a stroll along the pier in time to watch the ferry come in, and then shop. The locals were in the main friendly, but to them I was the outsider.

Curiosity being what it is, the locals also had one question that none of them ever got an answer to. I didn't bring a family with me, and yet I now lived at what used to be Meredith Cavendish's place, which everyone knew had three bedrooms. It seemed that, in my eagerness to hide myself away from the world, the townsfolk took to watching me, wondering why I was here.

That conclusion was confirmed three months after my arrival. With breakfast over, I had walked from the diner down to the ferry dock. It was a lovely sunny day, and the temperature was just comfortable enough to sit and not burn. The ferry discharged its usual cargo of people, plus a truck and six cars. The one that made me raise an eyebrow was the Sheriff's car that drove off as well.

It pulled into the car park by the ferry office and sat there. I shrugged to myself, and went back to watching the sea of humanity come and go around the ferry dock. As the crowd diminished and the contents of my coffee cup came close to empty, the sun got blocked out. When I looked up, one of the local deputies was looking down at me. She smiled and sat on the seat next to me, looking out at the ferry and the last remaining person to leave.

"You've become a talking point, Mr. Thompson."

At least I had anticipated this conversation was coming.

"Am I under arrest, officer?"

"Nope. I don't plan to take my night stick to you either, so how about a coffee? And you're paying."

"Wouldn't that be considered a bribe?"

She giggled, forced herself not to smile and continued.

"Doubt it. Mind you, me taking my night stick to you wouldn't be called assault either; falling down steps maybe."

This time I smiled. We both stood and walked towards the diner, neither one of us saying anything. The girl at the counter had two coffees ready for us by the time we reached her; I collected mine and sat by the window that overlooked the ferry dock. The Deputy took off her sunglasses and hat before she sat down. She looked cute.

"So, Mr. Thompson, who are you? I've talked to Becky, and all she knows about you is that all business with you is done through some fancy law firm in Houston. Oh - and you tip real well."

"Oh come now, Deputy, don't disappoint me! There is much more, so please continue."

This time she pinched her lips together and stared real hard. Her cup came to her lips twice before her stare shifted to the window and she spoke again.

"I checked the fancy law firm out. It has two Thompson's listed as senior partners and one amongst the workers bees, but none with your first name. So I got to thinking and looked again at the senior partners; husband and wife it seems. Two children; Alison, the aforementioned worker bee, and Isaac. Seems the son turned his back on law. That must have rubbed his folks up the wrong way?"

*******

It did more than rub my grandparents up the wrong way; it damn near caused them to disown my folks. When my parents died in a car crash they even found themselves busy the day of the funeral, and at eighteen I stepped up to the plate and looked out for my two sisters. Worked like a dog and, with the aid of what little savings we had, got both of them into college before I decided it was my turn. But then my grandparents showed up and I slammed the door in their faces. My sisters, being rather younger and with no memories of why we were abandoned, let them in.

The charm offensive started straight away, and after an hour of listening to their shit I realized that I had in effect lost my two sisters. They packed a suitcase each and left with the grandparents that same evening. The next day I went to the realtors and let the house out the same week; that afternoon I walked into the recruitment centre and signed up. It was at Basic Training that my knack with computers and puzzles was noticed, and I was summoned to sit in a room with some suit and told to figure this out.

A file was opened, and two pieces of paper slid across the table at me. I set to work with a different piece of paper and a pencil; ten minutes later the suit smiled and left. I never got to see a parade ground again after that day: at twenty two hundred hours two MPs walked into my barracks, switched the lights back on, and told me to pack. One practically stood over me while I did just that. Everyone in that room, including me, thought I was in deep shit.

Two days later saw me in another state, sitting in classrooms talking computer codes and how to make and break them. Someone was even dumb enough to give me an IQ test along the way: I think I ranked in amongst the squirrels and coyotes on the score sheet yet, if you placed a code or computer in front of me, I came out highest in the class. That alone caused a scratched head or two.

Eventually some of them shrugged their shoulders and went with the flow. Others called me street smart and left that as the reason. All of the shrinks had diplomas and an education that was the best that this country could supply, and none of them could give the high-ups a real explanation. So I was given a new heading and file with the heading reading "Freak of nature." Somewhere in the next six and a half years, through two continents and seven countries, the words "Freak of nature" were replaced with one single word: "Asset."

When the Department had to send an asset into a war zone, which wasn't unusual but still made the Department nervous, they were very careful with their toys and didn't want any of them broken. When they were told why, the Department looked and my name slid into the frame as the likeliest candidate. A month before leaving I was assigned a Marine Corporal as a body guard. Carol was built to kill and had the most disgusting sense of humor you could imagine.

We also got on like a house on fire. In the hours and days this woman spent as my shadow I learned her life history and she learned my name. The suits told her that if she was ever to find out anything else about me, then when she left the Corps they would see to it that she would struggle to get a job as a dog catcher.

Carol didn't care. She was my shadow and that was all she cared about, even when the road side blast turned our Humvee into a blood-coated twisted heap of metal. The main point of the blast was on Carol's side of the truck; my head hit the side of the vehicle, causing me to pass out for a few minutes. When I came to, the radio was giving Carol an update as she herself killed anything that came close to the vehicle we were trapped in.

She sensed me awake; the scream of pain I let out may have given her another clue, even over the top of gunfire. The blast had sheared a piece of metal off the floor of the vehicle and through the back of my seat. About six inches of it protruded out the side of my body. Carol had already covered the area around the metal with field dressings and tied them off as best she could, considering both of us were pinned inside the Humvee.

Within minutes an Apache helicopter took up position beside our vehicle and took over from Carol in killing anything that came close enough. It was only when the Apache was spraying death along the ridge that Carol turned to me and I realized the true extent of her wounds. Her smile was as bright and mischievous as always yet her eyes no longer held life's sparkle within them. To Carol, her job was done. With the Apache overhead and the Marine rescue team already taking up defensive positions around our vehicle, it was time for her to leave.

I watched Carol die. The Corps lost a brave Marine that afternoon. I ended up with a private room in the hospital and felt like a fraud being there. While in surgery to remove the piece of metal, the doctor checked around and found that it had thankfully missed all the vital organs, leaving me with only a long rest to allow my wounds to heal. Nearly ten days into my forced stay word came through the Department that Carol was being sent home the next day. I asked, and then insisted, that I got to see Carol one last time before the Marine Corps took her home.

She was the closest I had to a friend, and would have understood the looks we got when two suits and an asset walked onto the Marine Barracks ground and asked permission from the General to say goodbye to one of their own. He knew who I was, and he could have refused, just as he knew that I shouldn't have even been able to stand in front of him while the cane I was still using barely held me up. The relief when he offered me a chair was palpable; the two suits never budged from the door as the General and I talked.

My friend was at peace now. I kissed her forehead and wished her Godspeed to the one place she talked about so much: home.

I could have returned with her, but the job I was there to do still needed to be finished. Getting a replacement in from the Department would have taken longer than the job itself, so I stayed. My assignment was finished two months later, and I headed home. The invite to my sister's wedding was handed to me when I got there, and my first instinct was to ignore it. I went through the formality of putting in for permission to go, thinking (and perhaps even hoping) that the Department would refuse, but word came down from above and I got my leave. So much for using the excuse that I couldn't get away.

Two days before I was due to leave I was introduced to Madison. The deep southern drawl led me to believe the name was real. This one wasn't Marine and, when I asked, she wouldn't tell me. When I asked my boss she simply said two words: "Bingham Securities." After that I kept her at arm's length, even when she tried to share my bed. Turning her down was hard: she was built for sex, right up until the moment you looked deep into her eyes and realized that a part of her had died some time back.

The wedding was turned into a society affair, although I did manage to spend some time with my sisters before the charm offensive between them to forgive our grandparents and leave the army became oppressive. Madison was charm personified and stuck herself to my arm like she was welded to it. My sisters thought she was cute, my grandfather drooled and my grandmother kept a firm grip on her husband.

The only real blip on the day: a guy called Donny. This was my sister's ex before she found the love of her life to whom, as of today, she was now married. It seems my sister talked about me all the time and, when the ex could now put a face to a phantom, he went all out to prove I wasn't some hard-assed army type. It was also the one time Madison detached herself from my arm, coming back half an hour later straightening her dress. I guess Madison had her uses after all.

Seems Donny had an accident at the wedding, but the damage looked worse than you would think from falling down the grand staircase. I made sure I double locked my hotel room door that evening; beating the crap out of Donny made Madison hot, and she wanted to use me as a human vibrator. I sure missed Carol.

I managed another eighteen months, one extra continent and three more countries before I turned to the Department and said that enough was enough and I wanted to retire. It seems that was a sticking point amongst my bosses and the high-ups; they tried more money, even mild threats, but in the end I had done all I could for my country. The only compromise I was willing to make was to undertake private work with just one company or, in this case, the Department.

I spent the rest of the week signing papers and being told that the last eight years of my life didn't exist. I left with a suitcase of clothes and a hefty bank account; two days later I was in the living room of one of my sister's houses when my grandparents walked in. I made it clear I wasn't staying, and had no interest in even being in Houston other than to see my sisters, but if they wanted to keep tabs on me then I had a little job for them.

The mere thought of having some sort of leash on me was just too hard to resist, so I used their law firm to deal with the legal side when I bought the house.

*******

The Deputy continued to sit and sip from her cup. Oh, she would stare at me for a few moments, but would then go back to looking out the diner's window. Eventually we both finished our coffee and the Deputy tried a different tactic.

"You're the model citizen, Mr. Thompson; never had a parking ticket, not been stopped for speeding, and no record of any wrongdoing.

"It was petty of me, and I just knew I shouldn't do it, but she was just too cute not to bait.

"I did steal an apple once, when I was ten. My father caught me and marched me back next door to confess to our neighbor. I spent the next day painting his fence and reciting the words 'crime doesn't pay.'"

Judging by her blush, I got the feeling I wasn't the only one who could get caught stealing apples. The Deputy unzipped her vest and sighed. I felt for her; those things saved lives, but were never built for comfort.

"You walked into the realtor's the day after Becky posted the Cavendishs' old house up for sale, and the sum total of the move into your house consisted of one suitcase. Everything else you brought from the shops around here or the mainland."

I wasn't going to give anything away just yet, no matter how cute she might be. "I like to help with the local economy when I can, Deputy."

I had seen the look she was giving me a couple of times before. She was clearly getting frustrated, and I wasn't being all that helpful. Finally she shrugged her shoulders and stood, zipping her vest back up as she did. With her glasses back on, and her hat in her hand, she came to the real reason for her visit.

"Carol Burnett died a war hero, Mr. Thompson; her folks don't know you, and want to know why you placed flowers on her grave. You're clearly not a Marine, and a large part of your life is either obscure or fake; every lead about your life stops at that law firm in Houston."

The Deputy seemed to want to emphasize her next point so she leant on the armrest of my chair.

"Carol was my friend, Mr. Thompson, and I plan to find out who you are and the real reason you're here. We WILL meet again, sir."

She patted me on the shoulder just to nail her last statement home. I watched as she walked down to her car while the ferry was loading for its return to the mainland. Habit is as habit does; I went shopping, and even decided on that painting that was still in the shop window when I came back with my groceries. Thankfully they agreed to deliver; that painting was huge and, with them not bringing it round straight away, it gave me time to clear some space and mount some brackets on the wall ready for it.

*******

I spotted her as she walked off the ferry. She ignored me, and continued to wander along the shops for a while, looking in all the windows as if she were a tourist. She even went into the candy store, and came out a minute or two later with a chocolate box under her arm and a bottle of water in her hand. Finally she sat next to me, but even then she took her time before speaking.

"Why are we doing this?"

"Give me permission to talk to the Deputy."

"No. I could have done this over the phone. I hate to state the obvious, but there is only one way on or off this island."

"Yep. But since we are stating the obvious here, Shelby, then we both know you have a boat parked over in Clearwater Cove."

"I fucking hate you when you do this, Aiden. The Department allowed you to live here even though we all knew why. She's dead, Aiden - let it be."

Perhaps for the first time I was able to put into words the thoughts I'd had since I said goodbye to Carol.

"Survivors guilt, Shelby. I know Carol just thought she was doing her job, and that was to keep me alive at all costs, but she paid the ultimate price for doing it."

This time I tried a different approach.

"Shelby, at least let me talk to the Deputy. Let her gauge if Carol's folks can ever know just how brave their daughter was. She's already snooping around in my past, so I know that you will soon take some kind of action against her if she doesn't stop. This way you can kill two birds with one stone; figuratively speaking, of course."

"Don't ever think we haven't already considered killing birds, Aiden. I will put your request to the Department; until then you keep your fucking mouth shut."

As Shelby stood her cell beeped, and she read the text that had just arrived. Her face showed a flicker of anger before she turned to walk along the pier.

"Not going back on the ferry?"

"The locals have already told her you're talking to a stranger that came off the ferry, and the fucking bitch is already waiting at the dock for the ferry to return. Don't let your usefulness to us go to your head, Aiden."

The sight of Shelby's cute ass walking along the pier and heading towards Clearwater Cove did make me smile. I did see the Deputy the next day leaning against her car when I went for my usual walk. I waved, and her sunglasses stared right on back.

I got my answer a week later when the phone rang.

"You can talk to her, but you already know your limits. Just so she knows HER limits, we have given her a gift and a reminder to mind her own business. I'm sure she will catch up with you real soon."

markelly
markelly
2,578 Followers