Penelope Layne

Story Info
A young woman finds her boss as a knight.
12.3k words
4.58
39.2k
45
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
jj26809
jj26809
218 Followers

This could be in either Mature or Romance. There is very little sex but I hope you enjoy it. Thanks again to my friend Kiki for her editing.

*

Penelope Layne was sitting at her desk at the law office where she was a secretary and assistant paralegal. The normally bubbly young woman of twenty five was looking down in the mouth today and seemed to be in another world. When her boss, Charles Vanderwalls, walked in and said good morning, Penny didn't even seem to notice. This was rather strange thought Charles.

"What's with you this morning? Did you break a nail or something?" asked Gertrude Lang, the office manager. Gertrude was the typical old biddy complete with white hair, skinny as a rail and had the stern glasses that hung on a chain. It was thought that had she been a man, she probably could have signed the original Declaration of Independence.

"Leave me alone you old battle axe" spouted Penny.

"Miss Layne, please come to my office" said Charles.

"Right away Mr. Vanderwalls."

Penny walked into her boss's office. Mr. Vanderwalls was an imposing man. He was 6'2" and around 190 with slightly graying hair. He always dressed impeccably with spit shined shoes. As a Naval Academy Grad with a law degree from Georgetown, he maintained his military style as he was still in the reserves. When Penny walked in, he was sitting behind his large mahogany desk.

"Is something wrong Penny? I've never seen you like this. If it's something you wish to talk about, I'm here.

"Thank you, sir. I'm just not feeling too well this morning. I'll try not to let it affect my work."

"Very well then. Please be ready for our meeting at 10 with the usual group.

Charles Vanderwalls was the managing partner of Buckwell, Vanderwalls, Gipson et all attorneys at law. Roger Buckwell, who was Charles mentor and friend, left the firm when he was elected to the state bench. Charles, at the age of 44 became the managing partner. George Gipson was the other primary partner along with about a dozen associates and paralegals. Unlike most law firms in the Dallas area, this firm specialized in mergers and acquisitions as opposed to personal injury. This made the partners quite wealthy.

Penelope managed to get through the day. She woke up feeling queasy and then thought about her period which was a week late. Her and her boyfriend Mitch had been careful she thought but accidents do happen. What if she is pregnant? How will Mitch react? All sorts of things were going through her mind.

She stopped at a drug store on the way home and picked up a pregnancy test. Early the next morning, she peed on the stick and sure enough, it displayed a blue plus. Now Penny became really stressed.

After work, she called Mitch and told him she needed to see him. At about seven that evening she nervously knocked on the door to his apartment. Mitch and Penny had been dating about a year or so. They had met at a party of a mutual friend. They hit it off so to speak. It was not really serious and neither had expected it to turn to marriage.

Penny thought that Mitch could do better. She is 5'4" with medium length straight sandy brown hair and freckles. She had always thought of herself as a plain Jane. Add to that she only weighed about 110 pounds, felt she had a pointy nose and overly large eyes. She knew she was less attractive than most women. She did have a bubbly personality most of the time.

Mitch answered the door and asked "To what do I owe this unexpected pleasure?"

"We need to talk."

Penny sat on the couch and fumbled with her fingers. "I'm pregnant Mitch. I took the test this morning and it came back positive."

Unexpectedly, Mitch went ape shit. "How did that happen? Is it even mine? You stupid cunt, how could you let this happen?" He was now screaming at her.

"Of course it's yours dumbass. I thought you'd be more supportive. It take two you know. I have not been with anyone else since we started dating."

"How much is the abortion? You take care of it and I'll pay my half."

Mitch Young, who was also twenty five, was a general contractor. He was quite successful having earned a degree in construction management was a partner in the business. He was 5'11 and about 190. He was in good shape.

"Your half? You make more than me and I don't want an abortion. One, it's not right and two it could fuck me up and prevent me from having other kids."

"Well don't expect a ring or anything. I always wore protection. It's probably not even mine you whore. Now get out"!

Penny stood up, slapped his face and stormed out. She went home and cried. Things were only to get worse.

Even though Penny was 25, she still lived at home with her parents. This enabled her to pay off her student loans and other expenses. She still could not afford a decent apartment. Her mom was a housewife and her dad owned a number of used car dealerships around the DFW area. She knew she would have to tell them about her predicament if she were to keep the baby. Penny decided to confirm things with her doctor before she broke the news. Unfortunately for Penny, her mom was a devout Fundamentalist Pentecostal. While she attended the church as a kid, Penny gave up on religion when she went to college. This already caused a bit of a rift between her parents and her.

After she got the doctors confirmation, Penny was sitting in her room again crying when her mom walked in. "What's wrong Penny? Why are you crying?"

Penny then proceeded to tell her mother about her condition. While she knew it would be bad, she never expected the outcry. "You little whore. You demon. You're a worthless slut. You need to move out. You have one week to get out of my sight. You're such a disappointment." Penny's mom, Ruth, slammed the door shut as she left the room.

The next day at work, Penny was crying and feeling down. Gertrude being Gertrude decided to berate the girl on her attitude that morning. "What's the matter? Another boy decided to dump you? In my day, girls didn't pine after boys like you. Oh well, I'm sure some desperate guy will hook up with you eventually."

Just as Charles was walking into the office, a pissed off Penelope yelled at Gertrude; "You haggard old prune get the fuck out of my face and do it now. I'm in no mood for your condescending shit. I'm tired of it and won't take it anymore. If you know what's good for you, you'll leave."

"Penny!" said Charles in a stern voice. "In my office, NOW!"

"Yes, Mr. Vanderwalls." Penny slowly walked to her boss' office to get another ass chewing. What a bitch of the last few days, she thought.

"Penny, in all of the time you worked here, I've never seen you like this. What is going on that you ripped the haggard old toad a new one?" Charles had a smirk when he asked that.

"I'm sorry sir. I just have some personal issues that I'm trying to deal with."

"Well Ms. Layne, why do you lay it on me? Maybe I can help in some way."

"I don't know. If I tell you I'm afraid you will think less of me. I couldn't handle that right now."

"Penny, are you in some kind of trouble? Is it anything illegal?" I may be able to help in either case."

"OK, Mr.Vanderwalls. Here goes. I'm pregnant and alone. I'm also scared." She went on to tell him how Mitch and her parents reacted. She has nowhere to go and can't afford anything in a safe neighborhood. She explained that she has no health insurance either trying to save money. She figured the tax hit would be cheaper than the premium payments.

Charles sat back and chuckled. "Is that all? Don't worry your pretty little head about anything. If you will allow me and don't think I'm interfering in your life, I can and will be happy to help. And Penny, I don't think any less of you. And except when we are in formal meetings, please call me Charlie. My friends call me Charlie."

"Thank you Charlie, but I don't want to put you through this. I will try to deal with it the best I can."

"Nonsense. Penny, you have been with me for what four years now? I consider you a friend and want to help. You let me vent when I went through my divorce two years ago. You helped me when Rodger move to the bench. Please let me do this for you."

With a weak smile, Penny agreed.

"Just out of curiosity, what did Gertrude tell you?" Penny repeated what she said and hence her lashing out. "Penny, you got your paralegal certificate in addition to your degree. I am going to start by promoting you to the legal team and not just my assistant. We need to discuss you future at a later date. In the meantime, if you want, you know I have a couple of spare bedrooms at my house complete with private bath. You can move in there if that's OK."

"But what would people think? First of all you are who you are and I'm just plain old me. Then when my skinny ass starts showing, your reputation will be tarnished."

"Honey, this old guy needs his reputation tarnished a little. Let's try it unless you don't want to live with a dirty old man." Charles was grinning when he said it. "Seriously, Penny, no strings attached. I just want to help you as your friend."

"OK Charlie. If I won't be in the way, I would love to be your house guest."

"OK roomie. Please don't take this the wrong way, but are you absolutely sure that the baby is your ex boyfriends?"

"Yes. I have only been with him in the last year. There is no one else."

"Are you willing to do a DNA test?"

"Sure, but why?"

"Because, Mr. Young has some financial responsibilities. You, my dear, have nothing to worry about except making sure that you and that baby stay healthy. Mr. Young on the other hand may be feeling a little stress soon if you want."

For the first time in days, Penny felt a big relief sweep across her. As she stood up to leave, she walked over to Charlie and gave him a big hug and kiss on his cheek. "Thank you for everything Charlie."

After Penny left, Charles called in Gertrude. "Gertrude. Effective immediately, Penny is part of the legal group. You will treat her with the same respect as the other attorneys and paralegals. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes Mr. Vanderwalls."

"You are dismissed. Return to your workspace."

That night after work, Penny packed most of her things and moved to Charlie's house. He lived in a gated community in a large 5000 square foot colonial style house on a three acre lot. The back yard had a nice pool and hot tub. Her room was about 400 square feet with an ensuite bath. The bath was marble with separate tub and shower. She had a large walk in closet complete with a well-lit vanity. "Well, what do you think?" asked Charles.

"It's lovely. It's more than I'll ever be able to afford. Your guest room is bigger than most master suites, I've seen. Again, I can't thank you enough. If I can do anything to help out like cook or clean, I want to pay my way."

"That won't be necessary. I have a housekeeper who cooks for me. She even does my laundry. She will do yours too if you would like."

"Thanks you again Charlie." She again hugged him and continued to put away her things.

The next day at work, Charlie picked out a small but decent sized office. He was going to assign Penelope to her own office, commensurate with her promotion. "Penny." Charles called out. "Please follow me." Penny got up from her desk and dutifully followed him into an empty office.

"What do you think of this office?" It had a medium sized executive desk and credenza with a window looking out to the parking lot five floors down.

"It's a nice office. Are we hiring someone new?"

It's your new office. I plan on giving you more legal research to do as a full-fledged paralegal. You will also be my primary assistant so I want you closer to me."

"Why are you being so nice to me Charlie? I'm nothing special. Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate it, but I don't understand why me."

"Trust me honey. I'm not doing you any favors. You are going to work harder than you ever have. It's not just me helping you with your personal issues. I have been watching you since you came to work here. I was planning to promote you anyway, but figured now is as good as time as any. You'll be putting in longer hours and shouldering more responsibility. I know you can do it, but don't thank me yet."

Penny got settled in to her new digs at Charlie's house and her new job over the next couple of months. Since she moved, she hadn't even seen her parents once. Charles was right about her workload and she was even bringing work home with her. The two usually sat in the living room both reading briefs and working on some corporate strategy. During this time, they would talk about other things. What they like, what they don't like. Penny was mildly surprised that Charlie liked not only country music but classical. She was a fan of the opera but never saw a live one. The agreed on politics but differed about global warming. All in all they got along famously.

While they working one night at home, Charles said; "You know the annual Bar Association Banquet is coming up."

"Yes. That is usually a big deal from what I hear. I assume you are going to attend."

"Yes I am. I was wondering if you would do me the honor of going with me."

"Charles, are you asking me to be your escort like on a date?"

"Why yes my dear, I believe I am."

"I would love to go with you but don't you think you should or could find someone more suited. Look at me. I'm not a lawyer, I'm not that sophisticated and I'm as plain as stale bread. I would just bring you down in the eyes of your peers. Plus, I don't have anything to wear. I've never been to a fancy banquet before."

"Well my lovely Penny, with the exception of you never having attended before, everything you said is bull shit. You are the most up front and real person I know. With you, what you see is what you get. I like that. I can ask any number of woman to escort me and they would go. They would also use it as a way to either get my money or to further their careers. I want to just go and have a good time with someone who is a very dear friend. As far as your wardrobe, you go out and do what you need to do. Spare no expense. Get your hair done, makeup, new dress, all the works. I'll give you my credit card."

"OK, I'll go but I think you're crazy. Remember, the banquet is in another month and I'll be showing a little as well. As skinny as I am, maybe even more than a little. Are you sure you'll want to be seen with me?"

"Of course I want to be seen with you. You are a lovely girl. A lovely intelligent sweet woman that any guy would be proud to be seen with. You just get what you need and leave the rest up to me."

A couple of weeks later on a Saturday, Penny decided to go shopping. Armed with Charlie's credit card, she went to a few dress stores trying to find just the right dress. Having seen pics from past banquets, she knew the style so all she had to do was find the perfect dress. She finally went into an upscale dress boutique and the sales woman helped her find the dress she was looking for. She even arranged for it to be quickly adjusted based upon how big Penny's stomach got. Satisfied with the dress, she went and got matching shoes and a cute clutch. From there she went to buy makeup and a few accessories.

Finally the night of the banquet came. Penelope had her hair done earlier that day and hid in her room getting dressed. The dress was a little black number that accentuated her 34B boobs. It kind of flattened her baby bulge a little but looked sexy. Her 4" stilettos finished the look. For once, she thought she may be passable.

When she came out of her room, Charles was waiting for her in his Armani suit and highly polished dress shoes. "Damn woman, you look beautiful tonight. I'm sure I will be envied at every turn."

"Shut up Charlie. I may be passable and even presentable but nothing anyone would ever be envious over."

"Well I have a little something to spruce you up just a little." Charles then opened a box containing a strand of Miki Moto pearls. Penny's eyes got real big as she stared at the box. "Beautiful jewelry for a beautiful woman." Tears started running down her face as she took them from the box. Charlie put the necklace on and they were off.

The banquet went well and many of his colleagues asked Charles where he found such an exquisite date. The past two years, he had attended alone. For her part, Penny was able to engage in intelligent and often humorous conversation, unlike many of the bottled blondes who were in attendance. Penny presented herself as much more mature than her mid-twenties. Charles was very proud of her. There was dancing and the two took time to slow dance. Penny could feel some of Charlies bulge as the held each other. She was flattered by it all. Charlie was somewhat embarrassed and tried to maintain his distance but his date just pulled him closer. Was she flirting with him?

Upon arriving back home, Penny told Charlie how much she enjoyed the event. "That was the best time I've ever had and I actually felt like I belonged. Thank you for convincing me to go." With that, she went to kiss him good night on his cheek but he turned and their lips met. Tentatively at first but the next was more passionate. "Wow" said Charlie. "Where did that come from? I'm so sorry Penny."

"Don't you dare apologize! That was by far the best date I ever had. You treated me with more respect than any man I've ever known. If you weren't' my boss, I could easily fall for you. You've taken a desperate girl in trouble and made her feel good about herself. You are nothing short of the most honorable man I have ever known."

Charlie stood there with his mouth open, not really knowing what to say. Finally he blurted out; "Penelope, my dear, since you have moved in here, I'm afraid I have developed strong feelings for you. I know I'm too old for you but since we are being open, I thought I'd just let you know. I guess I started having these emotions before that but I couldn't say anything. I think I may even be in love with you so it was easy for me to help you out. Please forgive me if I've overstepped propriety."

"It's OK Charlie. There's nothing to forgive. Let's talk some more tomorrow and flesh things out some more. I don't want this to be a rebound thing and I know my hormones are screwy but I think we should look at the possibilities if you want. I sure as hell do."

"I would like that very much. We'll talk in the morning. Good night love."

They both went to bed, but neither of the slept very well thinking about the conversation. Penny felt wanted and safe and wondered if Charles really meant what he said. He usually didn't say things flippantly. So what if he's older. He is everything a girl could want. "But why would he want me?" She thought.

Charles meanwhile tossed and turned and was thinking about the woman asleep in the room down the hall. She was adorably cute, smart as a whip and had a marvelous sense of humor. What would she want with someone almost twenty year her senior? She was nothing like Jolene, his ex-wife. Jolene was smart and another attorney but had almost no personality. The law was there only commonality. Then there was her baby. Will she be interested in another man after what her ex did to her? Time would tell.

Penny woke up and made her way out to the kitchen. There was a pot of coffee already made. She was dressed in her U. of Texas sleep shirt and she put on some sweats. She looked around but Charlie was not there. She figured he was out for his morning run and hoped he was not upset with her.

Charles came into the house about 15 minutes later. He was out of breath and sweaty. "Good morning dear" he said. I need to take a quick shower and then I'll be out for some coffee. Penny just nodded.

About 15 minutes later, Charlie came back to the kitchen and poured himself a cup of coffee. While he was drinking it, Penny said; "We might as well attack the elephant. I'll go first. Charlie, you're the most wonderful decent man I've ever known. You took a scared little girl and never one tried to take advantage of me. Even though you're older, you never treat me like I'm a child. That being said, you are also my boss. If we do this, I'm looking for something long term. Plus, my baby and I are going to be a package deal. I am falling in love with you Charlie and that also scares the hell out of me just coming off of my relationship with Mitch."

jj26809
jj26809
218 Followers