Persephone's Promise

Story Info
Persephone and Lionel find solace with each other.
5.4k words
4.42
5.4k
2
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Persephone and Lionel find solace and romance with each other

Author's notes:

1. This is a work of fiction. The activities and practices described in this story are not necessarily either condoned or recommended. If you choose to do anything described in real life with real people you do so at your own risk.

2. All characters are fictional and any likeness to any living person is purely coincidental. The story is purely imaginary and, to the author's knowledge, bears no relationship to any factual occurrence.

*****************************

"Now you're certain that nobody's answered the door for the past two days," said the Purser to the taller cabin attendant.

"Yes, certain. We've tried on many occasions but we have been unable to enter because the privacy latch is set. I've checked with the head waiter and they haven't been to the dining room in that time. It's not like they could go incognito; she's blind and he's quite ill with emphysema. How he cares for her I do not know."

"They probably look after each other," observed the Purser. "Ok, if you're certain I'll use my master key to free the privacy lock and we'll see what we find."

The Purser used the key around his neck to unlock the stiff privacy latch. He thought this was only the second time he had ever had to use it, the first time he had found the occupant lifeless on her bed. He hoped for a better outcome this time. At last the latch turned and they hurriedly opened the door and walked into the cabin before recoiling in shock. On the bed, lying beside each other, naked on the sheet, were the two bodies, obviously both dead for some time. Their faces were wreathed in smiles, their hands clasped together; in love, even in death.

******************************

Persephone had not been born blind; when younger, she was completely normal and had only noticed her sight deteriorating after she turned forty. The prognosis had not been good; she had an incurable disease that was affecting both eyes and was likely to be blind within a few years. She was a practical woman, not given to overly exuberant emotions. Her husband of twenty years had recently found a younger woman and the divorce procedures had been completed last Fall. Her only son was travelling the world, sending occasional posts on Facebook, but otherwise, as far as being able to take care of an aging mother, he may as well have been on Mars. Is this what my life comes down to, she wondered, alone and nearly blind at what is really only the mid-point of my lifetime? She carefully walked down the steep stairway, out onto the sidewalk and the few doors along to her favorite café, where she sat at her favorite table and was served with her favorite coffee by her favorite waiter. Being almost blind, it helped to have routines, she had found, but oh, the tedium of such routines. She allowed herself to daydream a little as she idly stirred her latte. Anything to break the mindless tedium of existence.

Lionel wheezed his way across the road, pleased when he reached the safety of the sidewalk. He leant against a wall for a minute or so to regain his breath, remembering his doctor's words about exercise being good for his failing lungs. "Sea air and exercise," were the doctor's last words as he left the clinic after being sent home to die. He stood up once again and shuffled his way the few steps to the café entrance, opening the door and stumbling inside before flopping into the nearest chair. It was only when he looked up that he noticed he was not alone, but was seated opposite a tall, elegant looking woman who was staring at him intently, disconcertingly.

"I'm sorry," he murmured between rapid breaths, "I didn't see you sitting there. I'll just catch my breath then I'll leave you in peace."

Persephone smiled at this stranger who was so obviously having problems breathing.

"You're fine just where you are," she said, reaching out her hand and placing it on his as it lay on the table, grateful for a change to her dull routine. "Just sit there and catch your breath. You are most welcome to stay."

"Thank you," wheezed Lionel, amazed that this elegant stranger would place her hand on his, but rather enjoying the feeling of once again being touched by another human being. It seemed so long since his wife had drowned in a boating mishap on their honeymoon. He remembered that he had been far younger and fitter then and they had been thoroughly enjoying their holiday, until that idiot boatman had capsized the fragile craft on the Zambezi, drowning several of the tourists. Not for the first time he wished he had drowned with his beloved Julie. With difficulty, he distanced himself from these morose thoughts and returned to the present. He looked more closely at his table mate. Those eyes; they appeared to be cloudy, not really seeing what they were looking at. Then he saw the white cane alongside her chair, and the reason for the strange eyes was clear.

"I'm Lionel, "he introduced himself.

"Pleased to meet you, Lionel, I'm Persephone."

"That's a very unusual and very beautiful name. Does it have any particular history?"

"Why, yes, it does. In Greek mythology, Persephone is the goddess queen of the underworld, the daughter of Zeus and the harvest goddess Demeter, and was married to Hades. Quite a name to live up, or down, to," she smiled a radiant smile in his direction, just able to see the chiselled planes of his cheeks. "So, does Lionel have any interesting history?"

"Not really, it's derived from Latin and means young lion."

"Well, it's lovely to have a young lion drop in on me," grinned Persephone.

The waitress arrived and took Lionel's order, while Persephone kept her hand on Lionel's, almost as though she was afraid he would leave. His coffee came and they resumed their conversation, keeping it light and general, both recognizing the other as a person with severe limitations, but mainly as a person with whom they could share experiences, their own limitations allowing them to overlook limitations in the other. They found they had a great deal in common; both were alone in the world, both had lost the love of their life, both were over the mindless boredom of routine and lack of any adventure.

"You know, just because we both have limitations does not mean that life is over for us. I used to live an active life, travelling with my darling wife, Julie, to many foreign lands. I see no reason why I shouldn't do that again. In fact, a long sea voyage would be perfect; my doctor even told me that sea air was beneficial."

"Yes, I also used to travel but now I cannot see well enough to do so on my own. We only met half an hour ago; would it be too forward to suggest that we could perhaps travel together?"

"If you hadn't suggested that, I was about to. What an excellent idea. Do you live close by?"

"Yes, just a few doors away. Would you like to come up to my place? I suppose you're thinking I'm being terribly forward in asking that question, but, hey, life's for living and this can be an adventure. I don't know how it ends; could be you're a murderer and rapist for all I know, but I'm willing to bet you're not and quite possibly a life lived together will be far happier than two lives lived apart. You willing to chance it?"

"Yes, quite willing, and I can assure you that I am not a rapist or murderer, so you're quite safe."

Lionel stood and stepped around the table to assist Persephone to stand and find her cane, then tossed a few notes on the table, winked at the waitress, took Persephone's arm and together they walked out of the café as the waitress watched, bemused.

By the time they arrived at Persephone's apartment, Lionel was gasping for air. What a pity there was no elevator in the building, they both thought. However, she had no doubt at all that he would recover. She guided him into a chair and sat in her favorite chair as she tried hard to watch him recover his breathing. At last he was able to gasp out a few words.

"That was hard work," he said, "A pity there's no elevator."

"Yes, I'm sorry. I just haven't felt the need for one and I know where everything is in here so I'm afraid of moving and having to create mental maps of a new place."

They chatted for a long time as the afternoon sun sank slowly towards the horizon. Although nearly blind, Persephone could detect the change of light and after a time turned on the light as she filled the kettle with water for another coffee.

"Would you like to stay for dinner?" she asked Lionel.

"Yes, that would be wonderful, but only if you've enough. I don't want to put you out or anything," he replied, imagining his almost empty refrigerator and imaging hers must be the same.

"No problem at all. I prepare several meals at a time and then simply reheat them for the next few evenings. I hope you like beef stew because that's what's on the menu this week."

"Beef stew's fine," replied Lionel as he watched her remove the two foil-wrapped meals and place them in the oven to heat. She brought his coffee over as Lionel watched, amazed that she was able to move so easily around her apartment with her visual impairment. He thought about their situations, she bored by routine, himself also bored, both enjoying travel. The only reason he hadn't considered traveling was his emphysema, that and the loneliness of traveling alone. He realized that for her the reason would have been her poor sight. What if I could be her eyes and we could keep each other company? He had resisted seeking a traveling companion because he didn't want to be a cause for holding someone back from doing things, but with both of them having limitations, could they not both empower each other?

He watched Persephone dish the stew and bring it to the table, making a return trip for cutlery, then they sat and ate. The stew was delicious, he thought, lack of sight certainly made no difference to her culinary skills. They talked of places they'd been and would like to go if they were able.

"It's difficult not having a traveling companion," she said, "But who'd want to be burdened with a sightless old fool like me?"

"Well, same goes for me," replied Lionel, "But I would be very happy to accompany you on a trip, except that I would have great difficulty keeping up with you."

She placed her hand on his again. "Sweetheart, you'd be fine. I'm not a spring chicken to be wanting to go night clubbing or visiting every tourist trap. I just like the variety and to be with people, but find that quite difficult. If you'd be willing to accompany me on a trip, I would be very pleased to accompany you also."

He looked at her closely, his eyes meeting her blurred gaze. She seemed very genuine. Did he feel the same? He knew he had only a few weeks, months or maybe a year to live and he would have really liked that time to be as happy as possible. He knew she could help him; he knew he could help her. Was this a match made in heaven? He ginned at the thought that a match with the goddess queen of the underworld could have been made in heaven. He made up his mind.

"Let's do it. Let's find a cruise and go away for a while. I don't have any dependents, nobody to miss me, how about you?"

"No, I have nobody either. That's one of the problems. Yes, let's do it."

Their discussion moved away from this topic as they cleared the table and cleaned up after dinner, but once that was done they again sat in the easy chairs in the small lounge.

"Well, thank you for a delicious dinner and wonderful company," Lionel said, clearly in preparation for leaving.

"That's quite Ok, but you're surely not leaving yet, are you?"

"Why not? I'll contact you tomorrow and we can discuss where we want to go and when. That Ok with you?"

"Darling, you really haven't thought this through, have you." She placed her hand on his again. "If we're travelling on a cruise together, we're certainly not going to be in separate cabins. Not even separate beds if I have my way. It's been so long since I slept with a man, please stay with me tonight. Let's see if we're completely compatible right from the start."

"You mean, um, you want me to sleep with you? Here? Tonight?"

"Yes, of course, honey, is that really so bad?"

"N - n - no, of course not, it's just that, well, um ..."

Persephone's laughter rang through the room. "You're totally lost for words, darling. How sweet." She leaned over from her chair towards him and gave him a peck on the cheek. "If you want more than that you'll have to cooperate."

Reflexively he pulled away a little, then reason re-established itself and he turned towards her, taking her face gently in both hands he returned her kiss on her lips. He felt them open and her tongue enter and begin exploring his teeth. He pulled away, gasping for breath.

"Damned emphysema," he said after regaining his breath, "Can't even kiss properly."

"That's fine, darling, I can't see a problem there," she chuckled. He joined in too. "You ready for bed yet, honey?"

"Yes, let's do it."

Persephone stood and took his hand to lead him to her queen-sized bed. Once there she turned to him and began unbuttoning his shirt, lifting it off his arms.

"Your turn now, sweetie," she told him, "Top half first."

Lionel fumblingly unfastened the buttons of her blouse then removed the garment before reaching behind her to unfasten her bra. After failing in this task, Persephone smiled and reached behind her and unfastened it herself, leaving the rest of the job to him.

"You never been with a woman before?" she asked jokingly.

"Um, not for a while. Is it that obvious?"

"No, not really. You mean you're a virgin?"

"No, not quite, I've had a few girlfriends but nothing serious until I married my darling Julie. We went to Africa on our honeymoon and she drowned when our boat capsized on the Zambezi. Since then, nothing. Women say I'm too fat."

"Oh, poor honey. You're not fat, although I must admit that if you lost a bit of weight your poor lungs wouldn't need to work as hard."

"True, but to do that I need exercise, and to do that I need to be able to breathe."

"Ah well, maybe there's an exercise we can do together that'll help. Anyway, are you going to take this bra off or do I need to do it myself?"

Lionel took the flimsy garment off her breasts and stood back a few feet gazing at her. She certainly wasn't old, but she wasn't a young woman either. Mature, he assessed, mature with experience. Her breasts sagged slightly but were full and firm.

"May I touch them?" he asked.

"Well damn me, you have to ask? Of course, honey, touch away, that's what they're for. It's only kids who are precious about their breasts being touched these days."

Lionel reached out with both hands and gently stroked the soft skin on her breasts, running his fingers over it as you would a precious jewel, his eyes never leaving them as her nipples began to engorge from arousal. He gradually gathered his courage and touched harder, giving a gentle squeeze, then began rubbing her nipples and aureoles.

"Mmmm, that's nice," she murmured, closing her eyes to better feel the sensations.

After a few minutes of that Lionel became aware of something happening 'down there'; he felt himself getting hard, just like he did when he masturbated while watching online porn. He instantly became embarrassed, afraid that Persephone would notice and be shocked. It was at that time that she lowered her hands and began unbuckling his belt. He pulled away.

"No, you can't, not now," he said in a panicked voice.

"Why not, darling?"

"Um, no, you just can't."

"Are you getting hard, sweetheart?"

"No, um, yes. Yes, I'm getting turned on."

"Well, darling, that's wonderful and all the more reason to get these trousers off."

She had succeeded in unfastening both his belt and trousers and simply bent her knees and squatted down, pulling his trousers down with her. Instinctively he stepped out of them. She remained squatting and hooked her thumbs in the sides of his underpants then pulled them down also. His semi-erect cock sprang outwards. He tried to cover it with his hands but was beaten to the draw by her hands, one wrapping around his cock and the other cupping his balls.

"Mmmm, I like what I feel, and what little I can see. I haven't held one of these for so long, darling. It feels real nice, but I'm sure it'll feel even better inside me. It's your turn again, sweetheart."

She stood up and took Lionel's hands, placing them around her on her button and zipper. He unfastened both and her skirt slipped to the floor followed by Lionel pushing down her half-slip until she stood in just her brief panties. Lionel again stood back and admired this beautiful woman, taking in her shapely waist and womanly hips. He felt his cock lurch upwards, almost completely hard now. He followed his natural desires and hooked his thumbs in her panty elastic and pushed them downwards. Persephone stepped out of them elegantly and pressed her body against his, spreading her legs a little so his hard member could slip between them, snug against her oozing pussy.

"Take me to bed, darling, and make love to me, please. It's been so long since I've been with a man."

Lionel obeyed her request, lifting her and placing her on the bed then lying beside her, his hand caressing her beautiful body.

"Don't you want the light off or anything?" he asked.

"Bit late now," she chuckled, "And anyway, it's great to be able to see each other, at least it is for you; your body just looks like a blur to me, but my hands tell me everything."

She rolled onto her side facing him and began caressing his body also. For the next ten minutes they lay like this, each enjoying and responding to the other's caresses. Lionel found that Persephone became very wet very easily; Persephone found that Lionel's cock oozed precum like a leaking faucet. They were both aware of Lionel's heavy breathing, knowing that if he was to mount her and make love in the conventional manner, he would most likely run out of breath after a few minutes.

"Lie on your back, honey, and let me ride you."

Lionel rolled onto his back and Persephone straddled him, sliding his erect cock into her slippery vagina before slowly sinking down onto it, feeling it press against the end, then push even further inside as she adjusted to his length. For Lionel it was as though it was his first time; he'd had such a short time with Julie, so long ago, but since then it had all been masturbation; now this felt amazing. He felt his orgasm approaching.

"Stay still," he ordered.

Persephone froze, unmoving, as his crisis was averted. After a short time, she continued, sliding up then down again, feeling his glans rubbing against her vaginal walls, feeling the ridged top side of his cock clinging to her clit as it slid past, sensing indescribable sensations through her love-starved body. She heard him panting, felt him thrusting into her, felt herself preparing for the climax, then she heard him gasp, thrust and felt spurt after spurt of his sperm as it erupted against the end of her vagina. The feeling was amazing; she was so close, she thrust back and forth a few more times, feeling the sensations mounting, then she bit down on her lip to stifle a scream as waves of ecstasy washed through and over her. A few seconds later she slowly lay forwards onto her lover, their panting breaths joining as they recovered.

"Thank you, darling," sighed Persephone as her breathing returned to normal. "That was wonderful. How was it for you?"

"It was beautiful," wheezed Lionel, "Thank you so much, sweetheart."

They cuddled for a while then Persephone rolled off him and they lay beside one another as they drifted off to sleep.

The following morning, they arose and ate breakfast as they discussed their future together.

12