Petra Ch. 03

Story Info
Life moves on and people change.
2.9k words
4.52
6k
6

Part 3 of the 3 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 08/27/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Iread2relax
Iread2relax
1,299 Followers

Hi everyone,

This is the final chapter of Petra. I hope you enjoy it.

******

"If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you be" The presenter asked.

Petra sat listening to the presentation. She was excited that her coworker invited her to this special meeting at first, but now she was just uncomfortable.

Everyone had an answer, but not Petra. She never thought of going anywhere exotic. She simply wanted to be home and content. Soon, the small crowd of twenty faced her. She took a deep breath. "Um, home." She whispered.

The presenter laughed and said, "No what place would you like to visit." Petra frowned. She really had no desire to travel to distant lands, and didn't feel like making something up, so she stopped talking. Tired and anxious to show their product, the presenter went on. Petra watched the presentation with trepidation; a sense if discomfort filled her soul.

It was interesting and everyone seemed excited. Petra could not buy it though. Soon it ended with a pitch being made for others to buy in. Petra felt awkward. She knew one thing, she was not buying in. They speaker was encouraging, positive at first even. Then she began to use fear as a motivation. After that, she questioned one's intelligence. With each tool, more people joined the line. Petra remained seated.

Facing her, the speaker blatantly stated, "We are not trying to force you into anything, but if you want better then you have to take the first step. This is not a scam but an opportunity. If you walk away from this, you will regret it."

Petra smiled and thanked her for her presentation, but told her that she simply was not interested. Then she politely left. As she walked home, she wondered if she made the right decision. Was she blowing a fantastic opportunity to become financially independent? Or was this just smoke and mirrors to give people a false sense of security. She was not sure, but she knew it wasn't for her.

Soon she arrived at her small apartment. Letting herself inside, she placed her bag on the counter and decided to make a quick meal. Her mother lived with her now, and she came from her small bedroom and greeted her. Petra smiled. She asked if she was hungry and of course Mom joined her for a quick sandwich and tea. Petra told her about the meeting.

Nadine Lyons listened to her daughter talk. She knew she was a harsh woman, and that because of her cold nature, her daughter had a rough time learning to trust and make friends. As Petra finished her tale, she nodded, and told her that she made the right choice for her. Petra smiled. It wasn't much, but in a small way it was affirmation. Her mother approved.

"Mom, did you go to the shelter today?" Petra asked.

"Yes, I'm helping organize the winter clothing drive." She explained. It was not much, but since moving in with Petra, Nadine was opening up a little. Pastor Munroe helped. The people in the church helped. She sat in sessions with some of the young women. They had such sad stories and she was so grateful that her daughter did not end up having to go through what so many of them did. She understood, but never shared her story. She even regretted telling Petra about the rape, but the girl needed the truth. Nadine sighed, and gently touched her daughter's shoulder. Petra paused and looked at her mother; she waited.

Her mother took a deep breath. "I'm sorry. I was an awful mother. I want you to know I've always been so proud of you Petra. I know your life has not been easy. Mostly it was because of how I raised you, but just because I am the way I am; you don't have to be like me. I never blamed you." She thought of Yuri, " What happened was not your fault. I want you to understand that I never blamed you. Today, some of the girls came in. They are much younger than I was when..." She paused. "Babies, they are babies, and some man hurt them. They hide behind tough talk, and loud demeanors, but I know they are afraid. I know how they feel."

Petra was silent. "Momma, it's OK. I'm here."

Nadine hugged her daughter, and she sobbed softly. "I never told you his name. Your father was a man named Yuri Green. He always bothered me, but I ignored him. One night, I was leaving work late and he cornered me." Nadine exhaled. Petra could only imagine the rest. Her mother finished the gruesome tale. Her father raped her in the backroom of the office building that they both worked in. She went to the police and months after their investigation, he was freed. It was her word against his. His friends vouched for him, and because he had no criminal record, he was exonerated.

A few months later, Petra was born. She was a caramel version of the man that fathered her. By then, Nadine had been forced to resign and relocate. Yuri never contacted her and she raised Petra on her own.

"Mom, I'm fine." Petra whispered. "I know it was hard and I never blamed you. I love you Momma."

"No, you cry at night. I hear you. You have very few friends and that's not good. I never meant to hurt you, but somehow I did." Nadine sighed.

Petra kneeled before her mother. "Mom, I admit my life has not been perfect, but I know you love me. I love you to, so I am not upset with you. I'm fine. Don't worry about me."

Reaching forward, she stroked her mother's cheek. "You have his eyes. Dark, mysterious. I never saw him again after that night. When you were born, I remembered the hurt and pain. He hurt me. But you were my child and I loved you. You were the only person I ever let inside of my heart, and you never let me down. I never meant to hurt you. I need you to know that."

Petra smiled and squeezed her mother's hand. The women shared a smile and soon, they cleaned up and headed to bed.

Petra went to her room. She lay on her bed, thinking. Mom heard her. She thought for certain that no one knew. Taking a deep breath, Petra fought the damning thoughts. She thought of her few friends. And she reminded herself that her Mom was here with her now. She had everything she needed and things would be alright. Refusing to let the tears fall, Petra willed herself to sleep.

The next morning she woke up. Staring at herself in the mirror, Petra decided that she would be happy. No one had the right to take her joy, and she would no longer let them. As she dressed, the scent of freshly made coffee perfumed the air.

She entered the kitchen where her mother was making a small breakfast. They didn't speak, but each woman realized that things would be that they were never truly alone.

Petra was leaving for work when her mother told her to be safe. She smiled and left.

Soon she arrived at the office and her friend, Stacy approached and asked if she enjoyed the meeting. Not one to be rude, Petra told her it was interesting, just not for her. Stacy smiled and thanked her for coming. She understood and would never want her to join something that she was unsure of. She told her if she changed her mind to call and she would help her start her team.

Petra just smiled at her and made excuses to get away from her. She was worried that Stacy was being taken, but this was something she needed to see for herself. Soon, she reported to her office. Her day went by uneventfully. Her boss was traveling, so the office was quiet. He called and she reported in.

Her boss returned and called a meeting. He had news and it was not very good. He was being terminated and a new person would take over. The board of directors made decision to take the company on a new direction. Petra was nervous. She had only recently opened up to John and his wife. A new supervisor could mean bad news for someone like her.

The meeting ended and Petra reported to her desk. She tried not to worry. Before John left, he stopped by her desk and asked that she and her mother come over for dinner. Petra smiled and gladly accepted.

The rest of the day went by with everyone talking about the news John had delivered that morning. At lunch, Stacy and a few f the other team members joined Petra in the break room. Petra warmed her soup as they talked. She listened and replied that they could only wait and see. She would not engage in office gossip with them, and surprisingly, they respected her wishes.

Her day ended and she told her mother of their plans. Her mother was hesitant about joining John and Jenna, but she knew this was something Petra wanted to do, so the women called a cab and traveled to John and Jenna's home. Jenna greeted them warmly and they chatted before eating dinner.

After dinner, John made Petra an offer.

"Petra, I'm actually part owner of a company. It's not as big, but I believe and my new partner believes it can become viable. You are extremely knowledgeable on these commodities and demand. We were wondering would you come on board. Leave with me and join us. I won't lie; it's risky, but as an incentive, my partner and I are willing to give you ten percent of the shares in the business.

Petra was speechless. She loved John and his wife. They were the first people to accept her and she hated the idea of not seeing them.

Jenna spoke up. "I am part owner as well. John and I have wanted to start our own company for years now, since his grandfather passed away. I know it's scary, but we really want you to come with us."

"Think about it. Don't say no. That's all we ask." John stated.

Jenna added, "Think about it. We can do this. Besides, I want you to meet Nathaniel. He's impressive and I think you'll see he's a great guy as well."

Petra paused. She would be with her friends. They were giving her shares in the business, and they seemed to really want her with them.

'

"I can't answer you right now. I have to think." Petra whispered.

Jenna smiled, and hugged her. "OK, we can wait. Take your time." She whispered.

Soon they were ready to leave, and Jenna and John drove them home. As they walked back into their apartment, Petra was silent. Nadine waited.

"What are you thinking" She asked.

Petra sighed, "I don't know, Momma. I don't know."

Her Mom smiled, "John and Jenna are true friends, but don't let friendship and fear decide for you. Take your time and think." Then she retired for the evening.

Petra went to bed also, and she decided. "She trusted her friends, and an opportunity like this was rare. She was going to the new company. Before falling to sleep, she typed her resignation and printed. She was content with her decision.

Petra slept peacefully. She called Jenna and shared her decision. She reported to the office and gave two weeks' notice. No one was surprised. They actually hated to see the quiet woman go, but they knew she would be fine.

Petra continued to help at the church and her confidence grew. Time moved on and she worked tireless with her friends to establish the company. Her mother was a great help. She was hired as the office manager. Her mother's no nonsense attitude kept everyone in line.

Their partner was new to starting a business as well, and he was impressed. Petra met Nathaniel on her first day at work in her new office. He walked in with Jenna and John. She was stunned. John introduced him, "Petra, this is our partner, Nathaniel Williams. He is a design genius. Jenna will serve as his PA, and I need you to serve as my PA. I hope you two get to know each other." He was the most handsome man. Dark brown skin, low afro with a pair of thin wire-rimmed glasses, the man was handsome and he didn't seem to realize it. He spoke so eloquently that Petra almost forgot how to respond.

Nathaniel thanked her for helping them realize their dreams. Their friendship began. He would stop by and chat with her and go straight to work. Petra found herself with the biggest crush on him.

Jenna knew she liked him and would often try to set them up. Nathaniel always refused join them and Petra felt it was because of her. When she was not invited, he would often spend time with Jenna and John. Shaking herself, Petra decided to focus on work, and let any lingering feelings she had for Nathaniel Williams die.

Months past and soon they received their quarterly report. The company was failing. Competition was too great, and they had to decide to fight or fold. They were ready to quit when Petra spoke.

"I came here because I trusted you. I have fought to keep this company afloat. It's a new company so of course things will be rocky at first. But we have a great product, and we will gain new customers. Don't give up, not yet." She looked at Nathaniel, then John and Jenna. Jenna smiled.

"Well, you heard her. This is our dream, let's fight" Nathaniel agreed. Petra's outburst gave John and Nathaniel hope.

Jenna hugged Petra and Nadine, and they left the men to strategize. It took a few days but both John and Nathaniel had a new plan. Working together, they secured new clients and their business began to make steady growth. Things did not change overnight, but they company became profitable.

As the members met to discuss their growth, they realized they had more than tripled their initial investments. Bonuses were offered, but declined, Instead they decided to expand the business.

Petra flourished, and the changes were wonderful. She was no longer the shy girl too afraid of her own shadow. She was no longer the woman that no one knew. She was now independent, happy, and free. Nadine was proud of her. Seeing her daughter thrive inspired Nadine, and even at her age she took her life back. Her health improved and she came out of her shell. There was one thing she needed to do. So one day, she spoke with Pastor Munroe. She wanted to address the young women.

Pastor Munroe permitted her. A special meeting took place and all of the young female members of the church attended as did the young women from the community. Many young women and young men came. They gathered excited about eating a fellowshipping together. Nadine was introduced by Petra and everyone gave her their attention.

Nadine smiled at her daughter and said the words, "Twenty nine years ago, I was raped. My rapist never served a day in jail. I was blamed and made to feel shame and because of my shame, I hid from the world. That is not the worst of it. I hurt my beautiful daughter. In my pain, I failed her. She was never to blame, and she is not at fault for what he did. She is the one true blessing I gained from that horrible incident." The audience gasped.

Petra listened as her mother shared her story. She watched as the women young and old seemed to share a kinship with her. So many women are used and abused that the numbers are staggering, but her mother was doing something that needed to be done. She was snatching the scab off of an old wound. The wound need to heal.

The meeting was fruitful as many of the women and girls shared their hidden shame. Nadine told them they had no reason to be ashamed because they survived.

In that moment, Petra was so proud of her mother. She smiled as her heart filled with admiration for the one woman that meant the world to her.

The crowd soon traveled to the reception area to eat. Everyone talked, and many had questions for Nadine. She answered. So the night ended, the two women returned to their small apartment.

After her mother had gone to bed, Petra's phone rang. It was Nathaniel.

"Hello, is everything alright?" Petra asked curiously. He never called her before.

Nathaniel cleared his throat. "Um, Petra, this is awkward, but I was wondering if we could have dinner together one day this week?" He asked.

Petra liked him. Often at the office, she had to force herself not to watch him. Jenna often told her to ask him out, but she was too shy. Now he was asking her out.

"Um, OK, when?" she squeaked.

Nathaniel sighed, "Wednesday, we can go to Lauren's. I mean unless you prefer someplace else." He added nervously.

"Lauren's sounds perfect. I look forward to having dinner with you. Good night Nathaniel." Petra whispered. Then she hang up and went to bed smiling.

***********

So ends the story of Petra. I want to leave the rest up to your imagination. Feel free to share your thoughts with me and I hope you enjoyed the tale.

Iread2relax

Iread2relax
Iread2relax
1,299 Followers