Picking up the Pieces Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
REGade
REGade
152 Followers

"I have two months and two days left to enjoy my twenties," she said, smiling. Brian noticed that she had a nice smile.

She sniffed the air, like she smelled something was wrong. She checked in the girls' room and found all four kids playing one of the new games.

Brian and Marian settled down in the common room to watch television, but turned it off when there was nothing on that interested them.

"Is it getting any better?" Marian opened the conversation.

Brian found himself answering her questions, describing everything about Peggy, her physical characteristics, their interests, and things they disagreed about. She even got him to describe the loss that he felt, and what he talked about when he visited Peggy's grave.

It was very late when they went to bed, and got up to find the four kids talking quietly in the kitchen. Amanda suggested that they make it another pool day, and everyone agreed that it was a good idea.

Brian and Marian took up the conversation where they had left off the evening before. He found that he enjoyed sitting poolside with her while the kids enjoyed the water.

They chatted leisurely, and when she wanted sunscreen spread on her back, he didn't hesitate to comply. Despite fighting the temptation to compare her to Peggy, Brian found that the two women were very similar. He looked specifically for differences between them. Peggy's hair had been dark, while Marian's hair was dirty-blonde. Peggy had always been direct and to the point, while Marian circled an issue until she zeroed in on the best choice. Peggy was maybe an inch taller. They both had nice tits.

That evening after the kids were put to bed, Brian became the questioner, wanting to know about Marian's marriage. She described Tom as a brilliant scientist who was destined to make a meaningful contribution to mankind, had he lived beyond the age of thirty.

"Were you in love?" Brian asked.

Marian had a far-off look in her eyes. "I was desperately in love with him. It was too bad that he didn't share my feelings."

Brian was shocked. "That's sad," he said, letting his mind rush to how Peggy had told him how Matthew had taken his own life. "I hope he didn't commit suicide."

Marian's laugh was sinister. "Tom was a self-absorbed coward. His existence was too precious for him to even think of suicide. He died from a rare disease that took him quickly. He suffered, but not very long."

She was visibly upset. Brian put his hand on her shoulder, and she moved quickly to sit next to him on the couch. She didn't break-down, but she was shaking. Brian held her for a long time.

That was the last of the serious talk between them. The rest of the week was carefree. They let the kids decide the activities, and when it was time to leave, everyone agreed that they'd had a good time.

REGade
REGade
152 Followers