Playing It Cool

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
redzinger
redzinger
143 Followers

A throat was cleared, "Ummm, I got some port, it seemed more Christmassy." Matt was standing above them looking like a just-kicked puppy, with a bottle and a few glasses in hand.

"Ooh, port. Lovely idea," congratulated Amy.

The penny dropped for Danny - Matt only acted like he had when he fancied a woman. There had been jokes about how incompetent at flirting he was, and that it was usually obvious. So obvious that the boys usually gave him carte blanche just for the entertainment value. Somehow, Danny had missed the signs.

"I got a glass for Emma but she's fallen asleep."

Danny glanced to his other side to see Emma dozing, curled up. Beth was the only one still awake, and she gave Danny an incomprehensible glare.

What had he done wrong there?

He was confused. First Matt, now Beth. Definitely too much to drink if he couldn't figure out what was going on. He excused himself, "Sorry, little boys' room is calling."

The bar group had dwindled by half, and the remainder not watching the classic matches were dozing in chairs or singing mournful songs in the far corner. The break didn't do much to clear his head. On his return, he picked up a couple of blankets, intending to head for the function rooms. Perhaps sleep would be a better bet?

"You know those are the larrrshhtt ones," Jim informed him. As it had quietened and his services were rarely needed, Jim had joined the other drinkers. "I wash keepin' dem for der women." He nodded towards their group.

That meant Danny had to stick around. He wandered back just as Amy got up for her own visit to the loo.

Emma was shifting around a bit in her sleep, tucking her hands in her sleeves to warm up so Danny carefully lay one of the blankets partly over her. Beth and the others had found their own covers so he held the other out to Matt, "Here, last one for you and Amy."

Matt looked guilty, "Danny, I'm really sorry about interrupting before, I don't know...it was clumsy of me. I panicked."

"Why did you panic? Do you like her?"

Matt nodded so hard, his dark hair fell in his eyes, "As soon as I saw her, I had to stop myself from lifting her out of your arms."

Danny laughed, "I'd have been quite happy for you to, my arms were killing me."

"Then when she returned..." Matt rubbed his chest. "And she's really nice and smart and knows about rugby. But you have dibs."

"Nah, the floor is yours."

Matt's shoulders relaxed, "I owe you a million." His shoulders stiffened up, "Fuck, that means I'll definitely have to ask her." He knocked back a mouthful of port.

"What's up?" Amy had returned silently on her socked feet. "Ask me what?"

Matt's gulp was audible. "Amy, wouldyouliketogoforadrinksometime? Please?"

"OK."

"OK? You will?"

"Yes."

"OK." Matt looked lost for words.

Danny nudged him, "This is when you're supposed to find out where she'd like to go and when."

"OK."

"I'll leave you to it." He couldn't spoon-feed Matt what he should do next; he was hardly experienced himself recently. Danny regained his position on the mat next to Emma, and tucked himself under the remaining half of blanket. He only felt a twinge of envy as Matt and Amy moved closer and closer together, instead sipping his port and watching Jonny drop that goal once more, then his eyes began drifting closed.

Mmmm. Something smelled fresh and clean, and felt soft against his face. A little body was snuggled partially over him, breasts against his chest and arm, hips against his awakening groin. Who was it? The bundle of womanhood groaned slightly, and yawned.

And stiffened.

Danny concentrated on staying relaxed, not sure who it was or what he should do. Last he could remember was seeing Jonno holding the Webb Ellis Cup aloft. Unfortunately, his body disagreed, continuing to harden.

Did he imagine her rubbing against him slightly?

"Pssssttt! Emma!"

The hair was lifted away from his face, and he felt a sharp inhale. Then, slowly, the body moved off him. He felt some regret in letting it go, and some deflation in the groin area. Luckily. Otherwise the blanket resettling around him might have looked quite obscene.

It felt colder without his feminine extra. There was whispering around him, some soft snores and the creak of a door, the clink of a glass. And a giggle hushed up.

He slowly cracked his eyes open, to see the TV screen black and dark. Some bright light was coming in around the edges of the curtains, illuminating the bar area. He sat up slowly, his body creaking and aches from the previous day's effort making themselves known.

None of the women's team were there, but Matt was curled around Amy, contented smiles on both of their dozing faces. A couple of others were asleep across chairs, including Jim.

The bar door squeaked and he turned to see Beth sneaking in. The smell of bacon wafted over, and his stomach grumbled. He lifted a hand, and she looked guilty for a moment, then pressed a finger to her lips before crooking it.

Following the captain into the corridor towards another function room, the enticing scent of bacon strengthened as did the buzz of chatter.

"We've raided the kitchens." Beth could speak normally once out of the bar. "We're using the function room closest for breakfast. Some people are going to try getting home or to work once the drive is cleared." There was a cheer from outside, "And others need the energy."

There seemed to be more people in the room than in the bar last night. Danny spotted a couple of families with kids tucking in to platefuls. They definitely weren't around last night. The TV screens were showing dramatic pictures of snow rescues and kids tobogganing down slopes.

"Half of the street lost power when a car hit ice and street furniture. They're sheltering here while the electricity company sorts it out. We've set up a playroom next door." Beth handed Danny a plate of food. "Get that down you, there's digging to do."

"Huh?"

"Shovelling snow."

As Danny ate, he searched for a glimpse of Emma. To no avail; there wasn't a peep of her bouncing brunette head. However, ten minutes later a yawning Matt and Amy came in, the latter on her crutches. They waved before grabbing their own plates of food and joining him, Matt solicitously carrying both plates.

"Sleep well?"

Matt and Amy smiled happily back around mouthfuls of food, glancing and each other and blushing.

"How's the ankle?"

Amy pulled a face, "Throbbing a bit, like my head. Beth has already given me some painkillers.

"Good. Apparently we've some shovelling to do. Well, Matt and I have, to clear the club drive enough for cars to get out, and help some locals."

"People have cars here?"

"A few were leaving them here overnight anyway and collecting them in the morning once they were sober enough to drive."

Matt cleared his mouth, "Mine's one of them. I was going to take a bus or taxi home last night and return this morning. It's going to be a big dig; the snow's really deep out there, over a foot, nearly two in parts."

"Really?" Danny hadn't thought to look outside yet, he'd been distracted by his experience on waking, and that Emma had since disappeared.

"That's one hell of a Michael Fish moment for someone; there was no prediction of snow for the south-east at all. Just a hard frost."

Amy hummed, "They changed the forecast late morning, but by then it was too late for many. Me included, I was Christmas shopping before getting ready for the party and didn't think to check."

Matt teased the woman by his side, "You were underdressed for any kind of weather, admit it."

"Yeah, there is that," she admitted with a grin. "I wasn't planning on walking anywhere though. Strictly taxi and train, with emergency taxi money just in case, hence the fifty-quid note I used for the drinks once I knew I was stuck here. See, I wasn't being totally daft." She nudged Matt playfully.

Danny watched as the two teased each other while they cleared their plates, then Amy excused herself to go for a shower. Matt helped her part of the way, until Amy patted his cheek reassuringly and sent him back.

Matt grinned ruefully as he rejoined Danny with a couple of mugs of coffee, passing one over. "She's going to freshen up, Beth's found some toothbrushes. Wanna go for a walk?"

"OK." They wandered out of the function room towards the main part of the club. "You know, I've never seen you so comfortable with a woman."

Matt continued to grin, "She's wonderful, isn't she? I can't believe she wants to go out with me. We chatted for hours and then she fell asleep in my arms. I'm going to drive her home later."

Potty. Absolutely head over heels.

Danny couldn't help another pang of envy. Which somehow reminded him of Emma. He glanced around, wondering if she would reappear.

"Who're you looking for?" Matt's grin had turned into a smirk. "Emma, perchance?"

"How...?"

"You've always had a soft spot for her."

More like hard after that morning, thought Danny. He felt a twitch in his groin at the memory.

"And she seems to like your company. Nothing's ever happened between you, has it?"

"She's a player, no consorting between players and coaching staff, remember?"

"You're not a coach any more, are you?"

"No, I'm not," realised Danny as he pushed the main club doors open and cold air rushed in. "Ooh, look, someone's built a snowman."

"Fire!"

The first missile splatted into him milliseconds later, then they were bombarded by a barrage of white balls.

"Oh shee-eesus!"

Danny and Matt both backed up and the doors swung closed to the sound of feminine and childish giggles. They looked at each other and laughed at the lumps of snow in their hair and clothes, even lumps sinking into and cooling the remains of their coffees.

"War?" Matt raised an eyebrow at Danny.

"War."

Seconds later, they were pulling their coats on, cups discarded. They paused by the double doors, noting that the frosted glass panels probably gave warning that someone was coming out.

Matt peered through a cleared piece of glass, "Looks like they've set up camp about twenty yards away, they've built up a wall. We'll have to reach around the back to disarm them. Let them waste their fire, then we'll attack."

They dived out of the doors, one going left and one going right, landing in the soft snow. Shouts of alarm rang out, and more white missiles inundated them as they skirted the bunker, just beyond reach of the artillery powered by an adult and a couple of children.

Danny followed the sound of a familiar laugh as the shower gradually lightened. Their stockpile must have been running low.

"Attack now!"

He ran as Matt sprinted in from the opposite direction. Two children jumped out, and began running away, screaming with delight. However, snowballs continued to be thrown from the dugout.

"I'll take the deserters, you go for HQ!" Matt yelled as he jogged after the youngsters, giving them a chance to get away.

Several more hits, and Danny started sending hastily made lumps back towards the snowy barricade. There was a squeal as he must have hit his target.

"Do you surrender?"

"No surrender!" a woman yelled back, and pelted him with another couple of snowballs.

He jumped over, and found the woman he had been looking for.

When he had begun as assistant coach to the women's team, their main coach was Paul. Although competent, Paul had been notorious for being a bit handsy with some of the women. Matters had escalated elsewhere as a result of Paul's flirtations, and he left the club shortly after. The more-professional Marcus had taken over, and Club management had had a word with Danny and Marcus, making it clear that even though they were volunteers, they didn't want a repeat. Danny had taken that to mean staying away from even mild flirtations. So, he'd never even considered the women sexually, even though they sometimes flirted with him. They were out of bounds.

Or were they?

Now he was actually looking at her, laughing, with clumps of snow in the hair escaping from her bobble hat, he realised how much he liked her. She had always been enthusiastic about drills, even in the worst of weather, and listened carefully to his instructions. She was intelligent, great with kids and a joy to be with. He'd missed her since another former player had taken over his role.

"Emma-" He had fistful of snow in his face for his troubles.

Danny charged her, taking her down onto the soft snow but not landing on her. She giggled. "No surrender!"

"Are you sure?" He captured her hands and pinned her lower body down with a restraining leg.

She tried to wriggle away, but couldn't. "Temporary ceasefire?" she asked hopefully.

"Cheeky." Her mouth was so close to his, he couldn't resist a pecking kiss.

Her eyes were wide when he drew back, "Oh." She bit her lip.

Danny's gaze was drawn to the white teeth nibbling the edge of her pink mouth, "Oh?"

Her body softened under his, she stopped fighting as clouds of breath puffed quickly from her mouth.

Sod it, he would kiss her again. He released her hands, and her lips met his halfway.

She tasted minty and fresh and warm and new and like home, all at the same time. Their kiss deepened as they both murmured with delight. He felt her hands in his hair as his tucked her closer.

Clunk!

A ball of ice hit both of them on their heads, breaking the moment. "Ow!" groaned Emma.

He lifted off her as the guilty parties ran away chortling, and helped her to her feet. His body was humming with need, with wanting to get closer to the brunette. "You OK?"

Emma gave an awkward smile and brushed the rest of the snow out of her hair and off her clothes, "I'm fine."

They stared at each other, wordlessly, for several moments, until the opening of the club doors broke the tension.

"Time for you to come in, kids and grown-up kids," shouted Beth. Then she noticed Danny and Emma, "You two can stay out until you've had a proper chat. Don't freeze."

They were left by themselves in the white wilderness. Emma looked so small stood there, this time avoiding his eyes, a pink flush on her cheeks.

Danny summoned up his courage; if Matt could do it, so could he. "So, Emma...would you like to go for a drink some time?"

***The End***

Please vote and comment! Thank you.

Tx

redzinger
redzinger
143 Followers
12