Priestess of the Heavens

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"As Earth waivers, our remaining brothers and sisters are laboring for us. They are taking the weapons of war, the countless bombs stockpiled over centuries and using them as they once did in the sacred book, the bible. In that story, they beat their swords into plowshares -- they took the tools of war and used them for farming. Now, they are taking the non-nuclear devices bombing the countless abandoned cities and pounding them into rubble. Once those cities have been laid to ruin, they will let nature take its course. The winds and rains will wash them smooth, the birds will carry seeds, the deer and bison will be allowed to return. By the time we are ready to go home, there will be none of our brothers and sisters left. In seven generations we will number over five million and the last of our cousins will have perished. The planet we go to will be wild, and we will go there not to tame it, but to forge a harmonious existence with the oceans and prairies. We will take our energy from the sun and take no more than we can replenish."

"We must wait, but for now we will remember and celebrate. As our ancestors have done since before we could write things down, we will celebrate this day of renewal. Be joyous, be strong. Sing. Sing songs of new life!"

A great cheer erupted and music did play and people did sing. They sang the songs of old earth of new earth, folk songs and anthems, nursery rhymes and even songs created on the wheels themselves. There was food upon food, and even sweets for the children.

Kari was asked to confer blessings on many new unions, newborn children, and unborn children. Children were constantly swarming around her, enchanted by this beautiful, ethereal woman.

The hour grew late, and soon the children were packed off. Kari made sure of the whereabouts of Nuying. She was pleased to see Nuying had forgotten about her prior obsession and was now gathered in group of peers her age in an impromptu drum and dance circle.

The free adults then set off, making their way solemnly to Section 3.

The ritual to follow was one that Kari had indeed inspired, but had never intended to be an annual event. Her union with Pax had been one of necessity and loneliness and the rituals she had observed had been just as much to ease her own mind as they'd been to honor the ancients.

However, the word had spread (by way of Grace, who was now partnered with a lovely woman in the third array). Kari had been forced to tell the story many times, and the first Spring Equinox, she had been approached by six women who had waited to become pregnant because of their jobs and schedules.

"Can I be Inanna?" one of them had asked. If Kari recalled correctly, it had been Bergid who was now the leading genetic engineer and was making massive strides toward at least immunity against any of the known viruses on earth, and possibly toward that magic bullet -- the true 'healing' virus that would bolster anyone's system to the point of universal immunity.

"What?" Kari had asked.

"Well, you can't do it," they had argued. "You just had a child, you're not eligible to become pregnant for a while. We'd like to have a lottery, one of us to be the surrogate for Inanna, any of the unattached men to be the Shepherd.

And just like that, a surprisingly progressive yet ancient ritual was rolled into the fabric of the Wheel society. Every year, there were more volunteers -- mated couples even petitioning to be considered in the mix. Three of the four lesbians on their array ended up having one of their natural children in this fashion (liquor and ceremony can do a lot).

Of course, there was more than one coupling that happened on Equinox Eve. As had been done in the distant past, once the sacred couple was chosen, the other people gathered would pair off and celebrate the very act of creation in a private -- or public -- way.

This time, Kyriana met Kari by the pool and offered to help her prepare. This aspect had also evolved. Voluntary handmaidens would gather to assist the priestess in her duties of purification and readiness. Kyriana and three other women laid Kari out in a secluded grove and massaged with scented oils and perfumes.

"Who do you think will get drawn, this year?" asked Kyriana.

"I don't know," said Kari. Thirty-five volunteers this year, more than ever with guests in from other wheels as well."

"Did you enter?" asked Kyriana, slyly.

"As a matter of fact, I did," murmured Kari. "I checked with the doctor and he said I'm clear for one more, one of my own no less. I doubt I'll get it, but you never know."

As the ritual began, the women began to sing first, and then the men. From the waterfall to the glade, they formed a line and sang a song replete with harmonies."

"I am ready, now I'm ready shepherd. Will you not come in.

"Open the door my lady, lady. Open the door so we can begin."

The song continued and Kari stopped halfway to the pool. The handmaidens removed her robe and she continued forward, her glistening naked body shining in the steamy air of the section.

She arrived at the pool and stepped in, walking slowly until the water closed over her head. In the still rumbling of the water, she said a prayer to Enki and thanked him for his gift of watery life. Turning, she began walking again, emerging like the first woman from the waters of ancient oceans.

"Tell the story," cried Kyriana. "Tell the story of the first time."

She smiled, and recited it again -- telling the story of Kari and Pax, two young and fearful people who seemed so far away from today -- but felt just like yesterday, as well.

"Now we ask for names," she said. "Now we see who will stand in the place of Inanna and who will be Dumuzi in her bed."

A basket was passed to her and she reached in to pull out a slip of paper.

"Inanna will be... me?"

She looked at the paper with disbelief, but didn't have time to question it because a great cheer went up from all around.

Next she picked the man's name.

"Dumuzi, will be... Pax Trentor? Really?"

The shouts were deafening and she couldn't even make herself heard to argue as they were borne on shoulders toward the sacred bed, still placed in the sacred grove -- but now beneath a tent.

Once they were delivered to the tent, many more cheers went up as the sides of the tent were lowered and they were left with Pax, Kari, and Kyriana inside.

"This whole thing was a setup, wasn't it?" asked Kari.

Kyriana nodded vigorously and couldn't stop smiling. Pax, however, looked just as dumbstruck as Kari.

"I didn't have anything to do with it," he insisted.

"Of course you didn't, Pax," said Kyriana, his mate of twenty years. "You'd never be devious enough to do such a thing. I, on the other hand, am fully capable of subterfuge. Besides, it wasn't all that sneaky. The fact is, Patricia is one of the most genetically healthy individuals in the system. You two make healthy, wonderful babies. Beyond that, I'm selfish, I want to see one more lovely child who has my husband for a father. As for me, I'm out of chances."

"But Kyriana," objected Kari. "He's your husband."

"Yes, and a hell of a lifemate he is. Truth is, Kari, we both know you and Pax might make love, but you'll never get each other's heart. You are my dear, wonderful, sister. I also want to see our marvelous priestess have one more child."

With that, she kissed each of them and left the tent.

Pax sat down beside Kari on the bed. The two of them remained there in an awkward silence for quite some time.

"How does this go again?" asked Pax. "It's been a while."

"Just... just give me a moment, Pax. "

Kari stood up and went to the corner of the tent, closing her eyes and saying a silent prayer.

"Goddess Inanna, quicken my womb. I invite you in. Fill me with your spirit, bless me with your love. Goddess Inanna, call on Enki, your kindred God and quicken the loins of this lover. Let the waters of life surge and flourish within him so that he might pour himself into me. Bless me, fill me with your spirit and I will lay with this man in love and joy, welcoming the life we create with your sanction."

She took a deep breath then truly opened up her soul in a manner of an invitation. More than she had ever experienced, she suddenly felt transformed and infused with a peaceful force that took over her body.

She was no longer Kari. She was Inanna.

She crossed to the tent flap and looked out at to the wild beyond. Revelers were gathered in groups, some kissing, some doing more, others simply laughing and celebrating. She looked up and through the glass panels she saw her home -- the great blue orb in the skies where her children were dying. She closed her eyes and could feel the thriving life in the sections beyond, the arrays beyond. She took joy in the hundreds of children who would soon become thousands and eventually millions, ready to return to her planet.

She felt a touch on her shoulder and turned to see the man who seemed like both a man and a complete stranger at the same time.

She hungered for him.

"Come, Dumuzi," she said, seductively. "We have much honey to make."

Their lovemaking was intense, and lustful...and sacred.

After hours of coupling, surprising for both of them at their age, Pax entered her a final time. She was on her back and he was above her, sliding into her with familiarity and surprise at the passionate, groaning woman beneath him. In their brief interlude so many years before, she had been a generous and passionate lover. Now, it was as though she was possessed. Her back was arched in ecstasy, her eyes beckoned him hungrily with every thrust.

"That's it. That's the way, lover," she said, urging him to greater heights. "It's time now. It's time for one more. Spill into me again."

Kari/Inanna felt the warm rivulets of life pouring into her. She reveled at the feeling and pulled Pax even closer to her, embracing the body of a man for what she knew would be the final time of her life. As Pax softened and rolled off of her, she was blessed with a vision so real she knew it must be true:

She saw their son, the son she and Pax had just created. He was old -- ancient. He was dressed in a long flowing robe, and beside him was a woman as old as him, also dressed in white. They were holding hands and their faces were peaceful.

The breeze was blowing.

The planet was green and verdant.

Behind them stood the six generations of children, the wheel children who had only known of Earth as a legend -- as a great sphere of wonder in the sky.

Her children would lead them home.

***

Votes, comments, and favorites are always appreciated! Thanks for reading!