Professor Metcalfe's Temptation

Story Info
Self-doubting college professor falls for one of his students.
5k words
4.16
36.9k
3
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Julius David Metcalfe was 21 years and five months old when he graduated from with his Bachelor's Degree in History with double minors in Philosophy and Education; was 24 when he finished his Master's Degree, also in History, with a concentration in Global Cultures; and proceeded to teach high school Social Studies, mostly freshman World Studies but also some American and African American History. After two years plus one year of searching for the right opportunity, he decided to focus on more "mature" students, and was fortunate enough to get a faculty position at North Central, one of the community colleges in his area. Not quite a "real" professorship, but closer. And at his age, he thought, safer for him.

He knew going in that the student body at the college had a different make-up than a "typical university;" that is, maybe 18 to 22 or 23 years old. At the community college, the average age of students was about 26 or 27 years old—more or less his peers, in age at least, from what he saw right away—with a wide range to make up that average, of course: students who finished high school and then got a job, but then realized (especially when the economy started to get rough) that they needed to get better-paying jobs, and needed more education to do that.

He also took note almost immediately that the student body having a "different make-up" also could be taken quite a bit more literally.

One of the major--if very unofficial -- "fringe benefits" of working at the community college, as one of his other male colleagues who taught in the Math department joked confidingly, was what they occasionally referred to as "the scenery." Julius especially, being young and single, felt a certain freedom, limited but real enough, to discreetly look at the specimens of womanhood that walked through the door every day, incurring none of the guilty feelings for furtively checking out over-developed but under-aged girls and then quickly shaking his head as he did when he taught high school.

He observed a lot of the female students giving him the eye as well, either while walking around in the building, or in his classroom. At 5'10'' tall and 180 pounds, with a short natural afro that he kept just a little bit uncombed to go with his scruffy look offset by wearing pristine sweater vests and wool blazers in Fall and winter (he liked to call it "Lenny Kravitz with a day job"), or pressed linen and the occasional lightweight two-piece African garment in spring and summer, Julius kept himself in shape and was used to getting attention, at least in recent years, so it didn't really surprise him. In fact, privately, he enjoyed it, even thrived on pretending not to notice. At the high school, his internal dialogue regularly shifted, or progressed, from "damn, if she was older..." to "Ignore. Ignore for your own good, J; you're supposed to be better than that." This was often while one of the girls, dressed in a shirt his mother would have politely called "incomplete," forced him to look away by leaning over while he sat at his desk, or quickly and unexpectedly squeezed his arm while cooing, "Mr. Metcalfe, I have a question..."

The two streams of thought trickled off from the wider river of Julius being young (even younger looking), and being his mother's son. When his mother didn't tell him as much, which was actually often, he would imagine in one of his own private moments, memory-induced tightness in his chest, that his father would have been proud. Whatever that really meant, he wasn't really sure, but even as an adult it was something he clung to like a teddy bear with one eye missing and open stitching rescued from a fire, peppered with soot. It wasn't until Julius was in his teens that he became aware of the truth. Not a robbery. Suicide. Depression. A note, in part: "...tell Julius when he's older—I said to never do anything he might regret." Years of being closely monitored, protected, coddled, given whatever he wanted, everything except a male figure, everything but a man's sense of boundaries, from the age of seven, began to make sense at the age of 16.

Then, too, his memories--of girls in high school and even during part of college who passed him over or wanted him to be their "friend" when he was short and overweight, his skin still suffering from the twin ravages of puberty's hormonal attack and bad diet, and when he was considered too weird or analytical or too boring, too shy or quiet, or not enough of whatever the opposite of all those things were--stayed fresh.

He had gone through an unusually late growth spurt, one inch in his last year of high school, two inches in his first year of college, one inch in the second, leaping upward from 5'6'' to his current height, as if the truth had set him free. While he grew on the outside, he paid attention to what women seemed to like, paid attention to the kind of person he could be to get what he wanted, courtesy of his mother and his aunt—his father's sister. When he went back for his Junior year with smooth skin, contact lenses and a new wardrobe, it worked. In his senior year he finally secured an on-campus job as a research assistant for the year in the History department (a position usually reserved for graduate students), and was able to move to an off-campus apartment.

Attention and affection were no longer hard to come by but he never completely let go of or forgot the pain of their scarcity. He often thought of his mother's and aunt's platitudes to his younger, less popular self that someday, a woman would love him "just for him" and recognize him for the good man he was bound to become. If only he knew more about who that was, or whether it really made a difference to anyone. Like a small piece of candy from a funny-smelling stranger, it had been at once tempting and repulsive, in the small minutes surrounded by absolutely no one except the demons of his expectations, to find out. What would it be like to disappear? Then he would run through recollections of his primary reason not to attempt to find out.

"You're a good boy, Julius."

"Thanks, mommy."

"You're a good man, Julius."

"Thanks, ma." I'll take your word for it.

Now, for the most part, Julius tried to ignore stuff like the note he got from one student, on the back of her mid-term paper saying "I would do ANYTHING (wink, wink) to make sure this gets an 'A'." Or the one who had a 'D' at the end of April who asked him in a small voice after all the other students had left the classroom,

"Professor Metcalfe, I know I've been messing up but...can I...go down on you if you give me a 'C'?" he told her "no," gave two extra three-page papers to write, and reported the conversation to his department chair, just in case. Thankfully, thought Julius a week and half later, she did the work.

When he was telling one of his friends about such experiences, the response was "Man, you're a good one; I don't know how you do it. I would be all over that. I could only take so much."

"First of all," Julius explained, sipping his Heineken, "I'm a new faculty member—I don't have the protection of tenure, so these chicks aren't worth losing or even risking my job; and second...even though I know they're basically my age, it just doesn't feel right to take advantage...not to mention it's against all kinds of codes of conduct. Ethics 'n all that, y'know? But I'd be lying if I said it wasn't tempting sometimes, 'cause some of these women have absolutely no fear." He took another sip. "Besides, I do pretty OK without having to tip into the j-o-b to get play. Remember when I was talking to..." was followed by a one-night stand story; not the first, second or third of that month.

If anybody had asked him what he was looking for, the response would likely have been a blank stare, and then a slow "for someone to want me, not what they want me to be." Beyond that, he felt, "I'll know when I see it."

He made it through almost four semesters taking the "high road."

She had been on his mind since the end of his first Spring semester when he saw her -- in the slightly light-headed way that someone "sees" and reacts to a sky-spanning rainbow -- while she was registering for classes; he was putting in overtime assisting with registration for the Summer and Fall sessions. He noticed when she got up that she walked with a limp and wondered why; felt the urge to go help her get up from her place three computers down. He did nothing.

Diondra turned up in his Monday night World Civilizations class, sitting right up front. With a class capacity of 40 students but with many of them not showing up on a regular basis—it was not unusual to have as few as 15 or 18 people out of the 30 who had actually registered—he was able to give her a lot of attention, which he was secretly happy to do, without ignoring everyone else. He had to concentrate, or sometimes just look away, to avoid focusing on her softly glossed full lips or the naturally long lashes on inquisitively wide eyes behind rimless glasses; her clear skin a rich brown on her smoothly rounded face, her hair cut short to the scalp in a way that somehow only accentuated her features.

Diondra went to Julius' office hours regularly, asking pointed questions to clarify something about the Dynastic time line of Ancient Egypt, or to make sure she understood the philosophical and scientific achievements by Africans that western scholars attributed to Ancient Greece, or the factors contributing to the demise of the Roman Empire and the transition into the European Medieval Period. She was always composed in demeanor and very thorough, taking copious notes even as she smiled widely at Julius. She never hesitated to ask him to repeat something or explain an issue differently, either in class or in his office. Her papers were well-thought-out, and always submitted early, and when he made some suggestions about writing style or organization, she always gave it back to him better than expected.

Hers was one of the few A's that was genuinely earned and easy to give that semester; and he was pleasantly surprised to see her take a seat in his History of Pre-Colonial Africa on the second Wednesday night in January as well. In the second week of the semester, Julius looked up from grading his first quizzes when he heard a knock on his open office door.

"Hi Diondra, how are you?"

"Hi, Professor Metcalfe, I hope I'm not interrupting." She looked at the stacks of papers on his desk.

"Not at all." He smiled. "As a matter of fact, Miss McNeal, I just finished grading your paper." He handed her the five-question sheet with "100" circled on top. "I need it back so I can record it, but I'm glad you stopped by."

"Whew, that's a whole lot better than my first one in your last class," she chuckled. "You definitely caught me off guard with that one, but at the same time it was good -- it let me know I can't play around."

"Well, that's the idea," he shared. "I like to get an idea of what students are really retaining -- or at least who's studying or even paying attention." She laughed at that.

Julius realized that he liked her laugh. It reminded him of a waterfall.

"It worked on me. I'm glad you drop one, 'cause that was the only the second 'D' I ever got in all my 26 years." That last bit of information took Julius by surprise; he had taken her for about 21 or 22 at the most, but he kept it to himself. That made her only about a year younger than himself.

"You certainly made up for it after that, though," he countered encouragingly. "I really hope you keep up the same level of enthusiasm. How'd you do in your other classes?"

Her eyes rolled up slightly. "Let's see...I got an A in English Comp II, and a B in Psych. I only took three classes for my first semester back since I wanted to make sure I do well, plus I work."

"Back? So you were in school before?"

"Yeah," she continued. "I went away right out of high school but I wasn't ready; I did the usual party and hanging out thing and was gone after two years. I did just enough to last that long, but a lot of the classes I took don't amount to anything. I'm a lot more focused now, though. I have a much better idea of what I want to do." She paused to give Julius enough time to ask the obvious question.

"Oh, what's that?" He obliged.

"I think I want to teach art, like painting and drawing, to kids, and dance too, or even do some kind of therapy with that. I love to do both, and I love children. I'm taking my time having my own, though." She gave a nervous laugh as if she wasn't sure she should have made the last comment.

"Hey, there's nothing wrong with putting school first." Julius started to add "and I wish more young women would do that," but thought better of it. Talking about his student's reproductive future was not exactly comfortable ground even as he found himself relieved to hear that she didn't have any kids. "But I think your goal is a good one --very doable and very admirable." He nodded slightly -- a gesture of acknowledgement.

"I am curious about one thing, though," he continued. "If you don't mind my asking—where do World Civ. and African History fit into that plan? Are they for 'gen- ed's, or were you just interested in the subject matter?"

"I would say both," she allowed. "Plus I had...other reasons." She looked at him quite directly while she said this. Julius felt vaguely warm for some reason He rushed to respond.

"Well, I'm just glad you enjoyed class. I hope you like this one too. In case you're wondering, I also teach African American Studies as a day class. You know, in case you're interested in anything else." He paused, inhaled through his nose, changed the subject and direction. "So, what else are you taking this semester?"

"I'm doing Child Psych, Statistics, and Modern Dance II."

"Two?" Julius raised his eyebrows. "When did you take Part One?"

"Oh, I took it at State," Diondra explained, looking off to the side, "but I still had to do a routine for Ms. Lewis to show what I know." She tilted her head a little. "Really, I've been dancing for a while; I just wanted to add more to my formal background...and it'll help keep my GPA up."

"I heard that...everyone needs some of those classes; I know I had my share,"

Julius said, laughing easily with his student, then waved his hand over the short piles of papers. "Now," he said as more of a friendly request than a command, "I do have to kick you out. Thanks for coming by, though. And don't be a stranger." He winked before he really thought about it. He watched her intently as she turned to leave; fought himself for enjoying the full, even sway of her baby blue sweatpants as she walked away.

She stopped and winked back. "Now, you know better than that. You'll be seeing a lot of me."

Julius rolled his eyes upward after she was gone. "Lord, give me strength."

Diondra's statement proved to be true. Not only did she come to his office in addition to seeing him in class; they also talked in the halls when she was there, saying their "hello's" with a smile, a wave, then a touch on the hand, sometimes a discreet sideways hug from her -- which prompted Julius to say with a chuckle every time, "You're trying to get me fired," but he never asked her to stop. Was it his imagination or did he feel her press the side of her sweater-encased breast against his rib cage a little more emphatically than necessary? And why was he wondering?

In class, he enjoyed her questions about the development of the school at Timbuktu, the Dogon's discoveries in astronomy, the influx of Islam and Christianity into the African continent, her willingness to explore African traditional religion as an objective subject matter for a research paper as opposed to the "crazy voodoo mess" comments he heard from other students in his class when he presented the subject in lecture.

They joked around with each other, like when she teased him about his name, claiming, "Julius Metcalfe sounds like someone who gets beat up a lot."

"Excuse me, I beg to differ...although I did take Karate for a while just in case." He admitted. "But I did used to tell my mother that she set me up. With a name like this, I had to be either a professor or a civil rights lawyer," he said, both of them laughing.

On more than one occasion, Julius told Diondra, "I admire the way your mind works;" once in a while during class but much more often with no one around to hear except maybe the angels watching them.

She invariably responded, "Thanks, Professor Metcalfe," at first with a bashful look and, "I just do what I'm supposed to, right?" in response, and then later, "I do what I can...but I have nothing on you," and then she finally asked "Why?"

"Because you're willing to challenge yourself," Julius explained. "You don't just give me what you think I want to hear, but you ask questions of yourself—and me—that aren't always easy to answer. That's not just admirable, it's essential for..." Julius' voice trailed off as he edited his thoughts.

"Essential for what?" Diondra looked puzzled.

"Ummm...you know, life." Julius answered hastily, if not convincingly. Ethics 'n all that, y'know?

Diondra narrowed her eyes, observing him eat the jerk chicken wrap she had brought him before class, knowing that he rarely remembered to eat before evening lecture, sighed and put her hand on his. "Right. Life." She smiled gently with the left side of her mouth.

"This is sooo good," he thanked her between chews.

"You're very welcome." She got up to leave, stopped.

"Ju...Professor Metcalfe?"

"Yes." He looked up.

She paused. How to tell the truth without saying anything?

"I'm...glad you're here."

Julius swallowed. Before he could respond, she left him to finish eating. She wasn't sure, but she thought she had somehow heard, or maybe felt, his heart beating. She sighed again. Just make it to the end of the semester and it'll be OK.

Starting around the middle of April, when the leaves returned, and winter jackets and heavy clothes got put away, Julius had to concentrate even more when Diondra sat in his class. Up to that point, from the beginning of the Fall Semester even, she had always dressed in nothing less than blouses or sweaters that covered her shoulders, usually most of her arms, and always her whole chest. Now, along with many of the other women at the college, whom he was noticing less, if at all, the neckline dropped to reveal what he had sometimes allowed himself to anticipate would indeed be an impressive line of cleavage; the longer dresses and jeans transformed occasionally into above-the-knee skirts that did even more to inspire his imagination, which he struggled to keep inactive. Just make it to the end of the semester and it'll go away.

After his next-to-last Wednesday night lecture, Diondra came to Julius after class.

"Hey, I have some good news I want to share with you," she opened.

"OK, shoot." Julius packed his lecture notes into a black leather portfolio.

Diondra smiled to herself, noticing the inscribed "JM" at the lower corner.

"Actually, I was wondering if we could talk about it somewhere else."

"Somewhere else like...where?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Don't worry, I'm just talking about getting a bite to eat so I can be comfortable. It's been a long day. I'm hungry."

Half an hour later, after driving their separate cars, they sat over shrimp lo mein and Szechuan broccoli. He was eating with chopsticks and she was using a fork. She watched him scoop the soft fried noodles drizzled with sweet and sour sauce into his mouth from across the table. She looked deep in thought, distracted.

"What's on your mind, Miss McNeal?" Julius asked.

"Teach me to how to do that." She looked at him intently.

"Do what? Use chopsticks?"

"Yes, Julius, use chopsticks. Stop being...what's that word you used the other day...obtuse?" She giggled. "I know it shows the instructions on the wrapper, but I'd rather learn from...a person."

12