Protect and Defend Pt. 01

Story Info
Bodyguard and protectee fall for each other in Afghanistan.
2.3k words
4.45
14.2k
6

Part 2 of the 2 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 10/07/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Six months later

Kabul, Afghanistan

Sandy Creek local HQ // Leo

*

"Good to see you back, Leo," "Doc" Johnson slapped Leo on the RIGHT shoulder, just as he caught up to Leo Yamasato.

Leo smiled back, even as he did feel solid slap. "Doc" Johnson is a rough guy when he's not "on duty" treating people.

"Appreciate you slapping the wrong shoulder, Doc. Though you could have hit either. Those surgeons do a real good job. I'm as good as new. " Leo added, and even did a couple overhead stretches and pulls to demonstrate.

"No nerve damage? I remember you can't move your arm then. " Doc added, as he pointed at the bullet scar on his left bicep just below the T-shirt line.

"Feelings came back an hour or two later, probably just shock trauma, Doc," Leo stated and shrugged. Doc nodded sagely.

"Let's go get something to drink and catch up on old times," Doc said and pointed toward the cafeteria. Leo nodded in agreement.

Both went through the line to snag something to drink. It was almost lunch time, and the line is forming. There are a few Afghan locals who helps with the kitchen and cleaning and enjoying an early lunch before the rush, the rest are all Sandy Creek members who wore the unofficial but standard uniform: black cargo pants and black t-shirt. There was one female Afghan civilian ahead of them in line, hair in scarf, wearing traditional Afghan robe. Leo paid her no attention, assumed she's a local contractor.

Jo found them in line. Jo is actually short for Josiah, and Jo is about as opposite of Leo as one can get. Big, black, and brashy, and honestly think he's God's gift to women... ANY women. But Jo's also a magician with the M-249, wielding the light machine gun like a rifle. AND he can often back up his claims with women, it was totally a bluff. However, he never bothered to learn manners.

"Jo, how's it hanging?" Doc offered.

"Same-o, same-o, Doc. Hey Leo. Good to see you back. " Jo replied.

"Thanks. Off already?" Leo said,

"Gotta so sweat off these calories. Gotta keep these muscles fit, man!" Joe laughed and curled his biceps and made the gesture of kissing one. Doc chuckled, and Leo just smiled. Jo's "muscleman" routine is well known in SCS.

As Jo walked off, he reached over the line and grabbed the ass of the Afghan female. The Afghan female shrieked, but what comes next was a surprise.

Leo was not paying attention to the woman, so he was not prepared for the cup of orange juice that splashed against his face.

Leo's eyes snap closed, but even then a drop seem to have gotten in. That stung, made his eyes water. He's effectively blind.

He heard Doc's voice, "Wow, little lady. You hit the wrong target. That was Jo doing the grab-ass, not Leo here. Jo! Get back here! Uh, Miss, do you speak English?"

The woman replied, "Yes, I speak English." Leo could hear a bit of British accent in her voice. There's a hint of haughtiness, flavored with a tinge of embarrassment.

Doc ordered, "Jo, apologize, now. And somebody get me a wet towel!"

"Uh, I was just funning ya, miss. Don't mean nothing by it."

Doc pulled out his drill sergeant voice. "Jo... I'm warning you!"

"Uh.... madam, I apologize for touching you in an inappropriate manner. It will not happen again. " Joe added hastily, Jo sounds properly scared. Doc was number three in the Sandy Creek pecking order and he was not to be trifled with.

A damp towel was thrust into Leo's hands. Leo carefully wiped his face, esp. around the eyes, letting the tears flush out the any remaining acid. He lowered the towel and opened his eyes, blinking several times, wanting to be angry at the person who tossed a whole cup of orange juice in his face undeservedly. He must be scowling already as his mood soured. First real day back on the job, and this happened. He looked up, a curse about to reach his lips... Then he stopped dead, and his breathing stopped, for he saw something he never expected to see again.

Those bright gray-blue eyes. They... She...

"My lion, we will see each other again." Leo heard Amira's voice in his head.

He forced himself to focus beyond the eyes. No, the cheekbones are different, the chin is sharper, the nose is wider, but those eyes... He suppressed his shudder. He didn't believe one can see a ghost, but he... apparently, just did.

Leo must have went ghost pale, because she frowned and asked with concern, "I am sorry. Are you all right?"

Leo choked out a reply, "I.... I'll need to change." Then he pushed past Doc and other people lined up behind him and fled.

Kabul, Afghanistan

Sandy Creek local HQ // Sonita

(A few minutes earlier)

Sonita Nuristani had always hated soldiers, and by that extension, mercenaries, so walking around in Sandy Creek Security's Kabul compound was like strolling in hostile territory, even though she knew nothing will happen to her here. She was an invited guest, because, as much as she hated to admit it, she needs protection.

Dressed in an Afghan robe typical of the local women, and wearing a purple head scarf, she does not stand out in any way, until you see her eyes. They were a bright gray-blue that immediately attracts attention from all. She wore no makeup. Her dark complected skin was smooth except for some lines right around her brows, as if she often squinted. She had taken to wear Gunnar computer readers just to make her eyes look a little darker. She missed her Western clothes, but she can't wear them in Afghanistan.

She mused that it was not easy being a rebel, so many times in her life. She had rebelled three times, seeking to control her own fate, so placing her fate in the hands of others just... made her feel uneasy. She followed her guide, Maryann automatically while her mind mostly went blank. Maryann is actually very nice. An almost stereotypical Southern voluptuous redhead, with figures that showed even through baggy cargo pants and black polo shirt that has the SCS logo, Maryann exudes charm and confidence. Maryann was the assistant to the head of the Sandy Creek Security local detachment, and was showing Sonita around the camp, introducing her to a merc or two. Sonita chaffed internally at the show-and-tell. Sonita did not need and cannot afford a whole team. The limited budget means she can only afford... One merc to guard her.

While girls could an education in Afghanistan now, opportunities are nearly non-existent. And Sonita was hoping to change that. She was hoping to establish a combination girl's school and a programming studio in Mazar-i-sharif, and both teach them programming (probably Android and iOS apps to make things simple) and take outsourced development that had traditionally went to India. There were already similar schools in Kabul and Herat, but this would be the first in Northern Afghanistan.

Despite attempts to keep it a secret, the news leaked, by some over-enthusiastic Westerners who are eager to boast their donations for a worthy cause. Within days she received variety of death threats from Islamic Extremists to Misogynists and everything in between, who either want her out of the country or dead, they don't care which.

That brought Sonita to Sandy Creek Security. She needs to go to Mazar-i-sharif and get the school ready. Fortunately, the actual school location had not been leaked, or else it would have suffered multiple attacks already. There were stories of other similar schools attacked by paint, battery acid, or worse, gasoline bombs, elsewhere in Afghanistan. And due to many death threats, some of which are quite serious, she had no choice but to retain a bodyguard (paid for generously by one of the donors).

She turned back to see Maryann looked at her with a squint. Maryann then drawled, "My dear Sonita, I don't think you heard a single word I said. "

Sonita blushed, and replied quickly, "You are correct. I was distracted. "

Maryann just smiled, and said "No problem, dear. There's the cafeteria. Let's go get something to drink, and I'll answer any additional questions you may have. "

They walked over and entered the cafeteria. It's a very large room with row of buffet tables on once side, with plates and cups where people slowly serve themselves. There's some TensaBarriers to enforce a proper queue. They got in the line. As they just wanted a drink, they each grabbed a cup and waited behind someone else trying to make a selection from the attendant, who's an Afghan man who apparently did not speak enough English to understand the man trying to order a boiled egg instead of scrambled egg. She reached the orange juice dispenser with a label that promised authentic 100% Florida Orange Juice. She doubted the authenticity, even as she filled her cup and took a sip. It tastes more like Tang than real orange juice.

Sonita sighed, as she sensed a couple more mercs lined up behind her. She paid them no attention, but they were right behind her, so she had to endure the painfully puerile dialog.

"Jo, how's it hanging?"

"Same-o, same-o, Doc. Hey Leo. Good to see you back. "

"Thanks. Off already?"

"Gotta so sweat off these calories. Gotta keep these muscles fit, man!"

Some juvenile chuckles, as Sonita seethed inside. She did not expect the hand that reached her right buttocks and squeezed. Her instinct reacted before her brain, and she immediately turned 180 and threw her orange juice into the face of the soldier who's behind her... only to notice that the hand had belonged to a DIFFERENT soldier who's on the other side of the barrier.

She hit the wrong target, and her mind went spinning in circles. This was beyond embarrassing, as she had basically assaulted an SCS merc.

Before she can utter a word, someone behind the soldier she just drenched with orange juice spoke up, "Wow, little lady. You hit the wrong target. That was Jo doing the grab-ass, not Leo here. Jo! Get back here! Uh, Miss, do you speak English?"

Sonita swallowed hard and managed to utter, "Yes, I speak English".

"I am Doc. Jo, apologize, now. And somebody get me a wet towel!"

Sonita looked over to Jo who is really a giant of a man, well muscled, and a total oaf. Despite causing the incident, Jo still had a smile on his face, as he just waved his hand. "Uh, I was just funning ya, Miss. Don't mean nothing by it."

Doc started to scowl, as he lowered his voice and adopted even harsher tone. "Jo... I'm warning you!"

Jo's smile melted off his face and he started to stutter. Then he slumped his shoulders and actually bowed. "Uh.... madam, I apologize for touching you in an inappropriate manner. It will not happen again. "

Sonita looked back to Doc. Doc just jerked his chin toward the exit, and Jo beat a hasty retreat.

Sonita looked back to the man she had drenched in orange juice. Someone had handed him a towel, and he had buried his face in it. He looked up, still blinking, trying to focus...

He was very handsome. His features were definitely Asian, not like all the white men around me today but there was certainly some European blood in him, for his nose was higher and narrower, and his hair a little lighter than pure black. The wet black T-shirt clung to his chest, showing off well-toned muscle, and his arms, while not bulging with muscle, showed sinewy strength instead.

And those eyes... the moment they focused, they locked on to Sonita, unblinkingly.

And they lit up. It was as if something came alive within him, and Sonita was so surprised she took half a step back, but she cannot look away. Was there... some sort of... recognition? But...

Then in the next moment, those flames in his eyes died, his eyelids drooped, and his face went pale, and he flinched and looked down to the floor.

Sonita surprised herself stepping forward, and asked, "I am sorry. Are you all right?"

He jerked his head up, and their gaze locked again, but this time, his eyes are full of sadness, and in the next moment, it vanished, replaced with cold emptiness.

He muttered, "I... I'll need to change." then he turned 180 and pushed his way through the line backwards and was gone.

Sonita was still looking at his retreating back when Maryann asked, "Are you all right?"

Sonita turned slowly and replied, "I'm fine. Who was that?"

Maryann walked toward a table and sat them both down before replying. "That was Leo Yamasato, just came back from convalescence from injuries suffered from a prior op. He was one of our members who can speak Dari and Pashto."

"Impressive." Sonita said sincerely. Few "Westerners" bothered to learn Dari except special forces types that hunt in hostile territory, though that attitude was changing, "but, why did he have that weird reaction?"

Maryann sighed, "I don't think it is my place to say. You'll have to ask him yourself. What I can tell you is you reminded him of someone he used to know."

Sonita thought about that. She had a lot more questions, but it didn't seem important. What is important is her school / studio. Her curiosity can wait.

Maryann's voice brought her back from her thoughts, "Ah, it's almost 11 AM. Let's go see the See-Oh."

"See-Oh?"

Maryann chuckled, "CO, or commanding officer, is the guy in charge, the boss. I guess I've been speaking merc so long I've adopted their lingo, even though I don't have to. Now let's go see the CO before he shuffles his schedule without me. "