Punk-Chew-Ay-Shun

Story Info
Simple grammar, for simple folks.
2.2k words
4.08
81.6k
0
24
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Yes, I know its knott spellt that weigh, but sum people seem sew con-fused about simple gramma that I decided to post this humble guide and save them – and myself – some time in future.

The Comma

Comma usage is in some respects a question of personal writing style: some writers use commas liberally, while others prefer to use them sparingly. For instance, the use of a comma before the 'and' in a series is usually optional, and many writers choose to eliminate it, provided there is no danger of misreading:We bought hats, gloves, and boots before going skiing. (Comma unnecessary before 'and')

We ate bread, cheese, and strawberries and cream for tea. (Comma needed before 'and' for clarity)

Use a comma before a co-ordinating conjunction that joins independent clauses (unless the independent clauses are very short):

I wrapped the trout in plastic, but my car still smelled bad for the next week. (Commas with two independent clauses)

He invited her to his party and she accepted. (Comma unnecessary with short clauses)

Use a comma after an introductory adverb clause and, often, after an introductory phrase (unless the phrase is very short):

After the hospital had completed its fund-raising campaign, an anonymous donor contributed an additional £10,000. (After introductory adverb clause)

From the east wall to the west, his house measures thirty feet. (After introductory prepositional phrase)

In the top drawer you will find some nylon stockings. (No comma with short, closely related phrase)

Use a comma to separate items in a series:

Playing in a band can be exciting, but many people do not realize the hard work involved: constant rehearsals, playing until the early hours, handling drunken audience members, and transporting heavy equipment to and from gigs. (The comma preceding 'and' is optional unless needed to prevent misreading)

Use commas to set off non-restrictive elements and other parenthetical elements. A non-restrictive modifier is a phrase or clause that does not restrict or limit the meaning of the word it is modifying. It is, in a sense, interrupting material that adds extra information to a sentence. Even though removing the non-restrictive element would result in some loss of meaning, the sentence would still make sense without it. You should usually set off non-restrictive elements with commas:The people of America, who for decades have lived with grinding poverty and mind-numbing violence, are unfamiliar with the workings of a true democracy.

A restrictive modifier is a phrase or clause that limits the meaning of what it modifies and is essential to the basic idea expressed in the sentence. You should not set off restrictive elements with commas:Those residents of London who do not hold secure, well-paying jobs must resent the common portrayal of the city as a land of opportunity.

Note that you can use two other punctuation marks to set off non-restrictive elements or other parenthetical information: parentheses and dashes. Enclosing parenthetical information in parentheses reduces the importance of that information:Mr. Brown's driving record (with one small exception) was exemplary.

Placing parenthetical information between dashes has the opposite effect: it emphasises the material:Mr. Brown's driving record -- with one exception -- was exemplary.

Nevertheless, you should usually set off parenthetical information with commas.

Equally important in understanding how to use commas effectively is knowing when not to use them. While this decision is sometimes a matter of personal taste, there are certain instances when you should definitely avoid a comma.

Do not use a comma to separate the subject from its predicate:

Registering for our course before September 15, will save you thirty percent of the membership cost. [WRONG]

Registering for our course before September 15 will save you thirty percent of the membership cost. [RIGHT]

Do not use a comma to separate a verb from its object or its subject complement, or a preposition from its object:

I hope to mail to you before Christmas, a current snapshot of my dog Ben. [WRONG]

I hope to mail to you before Christmas a current snapshot of my dog Ben. [RIGHT]

Do not misuse a comma after a co-ordinating conjunction:

Hail fell heavily on the tin roof but, the family was used to the noise and paid it no attention. [WRONG]

Hail fell heavily on the tin roof, but the family was used to the noise and paid it no attention. [RIGHT]

Do not use commas to set off words and short phrases (especially introductory ones) that are not parenthetical or that are very slightly so:

After dinner, we will play backgammon. [WRONG]

After dinner we will play backgammon. [RIGHT]

Do not use commas to set off restrictive elements:

The index finger, on his left hand, is bigger than that on his right. [WRONG]

The index finger on his left hand is bigger than that on his right. [RIGHT]

Do not use a comma before the first item or after the last item of a series:

The treasure chest contained three bottles of rum, some gold jewellery and five thousand pounds of silver. [WRONG]

The treasure chest contained, three bottles of rum, some gold jewellery and five thousand pounds of silver.[RIGHT

The Semi-Colon

You will usually use the semicolon to link independent clauses not joined by a co-ordinating conjunction. Semicolons should join only those independent clauses that are closely related in meaning.

Abdominal exercises help prevent back pain; proper posture is also important.

The auditors made six recommendations; however, only one has been adopted so far.

Do not use a semicolon to link a dependent clause or a phrase to an independent clause.

Although gaining and maintaining a high level of physical fitness takes a good deal of time; the effort pays off in the long run. [WRONG]

Although gaining and maintaining a high level of physical fitness takes a good deal of time, the effort pays off in the long run. [RIGHT]

Generally, you should not place a semicolon before a co-ordinating conjunction that links two independent clauses. Theonly exception to this guideline is if the two independent clauses are very long and already contain a number of commas.

The economy has been sluggish for four years now; but some signs of improvement are finally beginning to show. [WRONG]

The economy has been sluggish for four years now, but some signs of improvement are finally beginning to show. [RIGHT]

It may be useful to remember that, for the most part, you should use a semicolon only where you could also use a period.

There is one exception to this guideline. When punctuating a list or series of elements in which one or more of the elements contains an internal comma, you should use semicolons instead of commas to separate the elements from one another:

Henry's mother believes three things: that every situation, no matter how grim, will be happily resolved; that no one knows more about human nature than she; and that Henry, who is thirty-five years old, will never be able to do his own laundry.

The Colon

When to Use a Colon

The colon focuses the reader's attention on what is to follow, and as a result, you should use it to introduce a list, a summation, or an idea that somehow completes the introductory idea. You may use the colon in this way, however, only after an independent clause:

He visited three cities during his stay in the Italy: Florence, Milan and Rome.

Their lobbying efforts were ultimately useless: the bill was soundly defeated.

My mother gave me one good piece of advice: to avoid wasting time and energy worrying about things I cannot change.

When Not to Use a Colon

You should not place a colon between a verb and its object or subject complement, or between a preposition and its object:

His neighbour lent him: a pup-tent, a wooden canoe, and a slightly battered Coleman stove. (Colon between verb and objects) [WRONG]

His neighbour lent him a pup-tent, a wooden canoe, and a slightly battered Coleman stove. [RIGHT]

Her three goals are: to improve her public speaking skills, to increase her self-confidence and to sharpen her sales techniques. (Colon between verb and subject complement) [WRONG]

His three goals are to improve his public speaking skills, to increase his self-confidence and to sharpen his sales techniques. [RIGHT]

We travelled to: England, Wales and Scotland. (Colon between preposition and objects) [WRONG]

We travelled to England, Wales and Scotland. [RIGHT]

The Apostrophe

I'm a big fan of the writer Keith Waterhouse, and belong to his 'Society for the Aberrant Apostrophe', founded after he spotted so many in common usage in daily life. It drives me further up the wall than anything else!

You should use an apostrophe to form the possessive case of a noun or to show that you have left out letters in a contraction. Note that you should not generally use contractions in formal, academic writing.

The car's engine has finally died. (The noun "convertible's" is in the possessive case)

I haven't seen my friend for two weeks. (The verb "haven't" is a contraction of "have not")

To form the possessive of a plural noun ending in 's,' simply place an apostrophe after the 's'.

He has his three sons' futures in mind.

In many suburbs, the houses' designs are too much alike.

Possessive pronouns -- for example, 'hers', 'yours', and 'theirs' -- do not take apostrophes. This is the case for the possessive pronoun 'its' as well: when you write 'it's' with an apostrophe, you are writing a contraction for 'it is'.

The spaceship landed hard, damaging its radar receiver. ('its' is the possessive pronoun)

It's your sister on the phone. ("it's" is the contraction of 'it is')

Quotation marks

The exact rules for quotation marks vary greatly from language to language and even from country to country within the English-speaking world. In North America, for example, you should place double quotation marks (") before and after directly quoted material and words of dialogue:One critic ended his glowing review with this superlative: "It is simply the best film ever made about surfing."

In Great Britain and Ireland, however, you should place a single quotation mark (') before and after directly quoted material and words of dialogue:One critic ended his glowing review with this superlative: 'It is simply the best film ever made about surfing.'

You also use quotation marks are used to set off certain titles, usually those of minor or short works -- essays, short stories, short poems, songs, articles in periodicals, etc. For titles of longer works and separate publications, you should use italics (or underlined, if italics are not available). Use italics for titles of books, magazines, periodicals, newspapers, films, plays, long poems, long musical works, and television and radio programs.

Once when I was sick, I read a story called 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep' which was later made into a film, entitled Bladerunner, starring Harrison Ford.

Sometimes, you will use quotation marks to set off words specifically referred to as terms, though some publishers prefer italics:

I know you like the word 'unique,' but do you really have to use it ten times in one essay?

'Well' is sometimes a noun, sometimes an adverb, sometimes an adjective and sometimes a verb.

Quotations Marks with Other Punctuation

One question that frequently arises with quotation marks is where to place other punctuation marks in relation to them. Again, these rules vary from region to region:

Commas and periods always go inside the quotation marks.

I know you are fond of the story 'The Cat's Paw,' but is it an appropriate subject for your essay?

Semicolons and colons always go outside the quotation marks.

She never liked the poem 'Ozymandias'; in fact, it was her least favourite piece of Victorian literature.

He clearly states his opinion in the article "Of Human Bondage": he believes that television has enslaved and diminished an entire generation.

Question marks, exclamation marks, and dashes go inside quotation marks when they are part of the quotation, and outside when they do not.

Where is your copy of 'The Raven'?

'How cold is it outside?' my mother asked.

Full stop

The punctuation marks that signal the end of a sentence are the period, the question mark and the exclamation mark. You use the period, by far the most common of the end punctuation marks, to terminate a sentence that makes a statement. You may also use periods with imperative sentences that have no sense of urgency or excitement attached:

Without a doubt, Lady Sarah was much happier after her Marriage.

Turn right at the stop sign.

Bring me a cup of coffee and a jam tart.

When you want to express a sense of urgency or very strong emotion, you may end your imperative sentences and statements with an exclamation mark:

Look out below!

Leave this house at once!

I hate him!

Exclamation marks are, however, rare in formal writing. Use them sparingly, if at all.

You should use the question mark at the end of a direct question:

Who's on first?

Where is my flowered cape?

Be careful not to use a question mark at the end of an indirect question. Indirect questions are simply statements, and therefore end with a period:

I wonder who was chosen as Harvest King in the county fair.

She asked if she could play pinball.

The teacher asked who was chewing gum.

And finally. If you have a spellchecker –use it!

Please rate this story
The author would appreciate your feedback.
  • COMMENTS
24 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Queen Victoria

As one of the Australian commenters stated, trying to teach grammar to the writers of this archive is like pissing into the wind. How many "How to" submissions cover the your/you're, its/it's problem. Several of the commenters make these mistakes. And the difference between American Standard English and British Standard English is great. But the reason for my comment: Victoria was born in 1819, and became queen in 1837. I would think a Brit would have this straight.

The one standard I would suggest is the one that another commenter made: if the punctuation, spelling, grammar, etc, makes it difficult for the reader to read or understand the submission, i.e. when he has to constantly mentally correct the spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc., then there is a problem with the submission.

Many grammar rules are simple pedantry (if this was not a word, it is now!) "To boldly go" is better English than "to go boldly." At least for sci-fi. Split infinitives are ok in English, but not in Romance languages. And remember, the rules against contractions, especially "ain't" and combinations such as "doff" and "don" are elitist. The cockneys speak that way, as well as in rhyming slang, so this has got to be bad English, right? Same in the U.S. If a grammar/spelling/punctuation is used by Blacks, it is by definition bad English, even it it is more correct than applying Romance grammatical rules to a Germanic language

Dreams of DesireDreams of Desireover 17 years agoAuthor
Synchronicity strikes again:)

Oddly enough, Koklore, Lynne Truss is making an appearance on a UK radio station (5-Live!) tomorrow afternoon:) Her excellent book was available as a free cd in 'The Times' newspaper last month and i can tell you her voice is as sexy as her mind is sharp...I'd recommend Eats, shoots and leaves' to anyone with a sense of humour who wants to learn more or simply use as a handy reference for better writing.

KOLKOREKOLKOREover 17 years ago
Try it with humor

Speaking of teaching the unteachable, or pissing against the wind, I recommend reading: “Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation” by Lynne Truss. I found it very entertaining, and almost without noticing, I was learning new rules! Despite the book’s title, the actual approach is not so ‘intolerant’. It actually seems to shift between the descriptive and the normative approaches. Among other things, the book speaks about the similarity between breathing and the location of punctuation marks. That made me breath slightly easier...

Thank you for your guidance. Signed: a constant student, who could use all available didactic tools.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Er?

"The contribution from "Er" demanding a comma after "contained" is absurd. You have a transitive verb with a direct object. Would "Er" write "I told, him"? I hope not."

I'm not demanding that! I am pointing out the mistake in the original article! The original article states that "The treasure chest contained, three bottles of rum, some gold jewellery and five thousand pounds of silver." is correct.

Of course it's wrong.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Good to read this, but not altogether "correct"

To begin with, you are a Brit, and so am I. We know that AmE and BrE have some differences, without even allowing for regional dialect and so on. Even so, there is a concept on both sides of the Atlantic of what constitutes the 'standard', and each accepts that the other is acceptable within its own dialect. Most of what you say makes sense and causes me to nod sagely in agreement, but there are a few places where I would take issue. You have made some typing errors, as we all do. But the first duty of a writer to his readers is to check his work; it is a simple matter of courtesy. In BrE, for example, we put a full stop [period] at the end of an abbreviated word only when it is cut short internally, but not when it begins with the first letter of the full word and ends with the last. Thus, we write 'Dr', rather than 'Dr.' as the Americans do, but 'Prof.' because it cuts the word off before the end. So it is with 'etc.'. Coming at the end of your sentence, it needs two full stops - one for the abbreviation, and a second for the end of the sentence.

There are other [several] instances of erroneous grammar and punctuation in your piece. Most of them are not serious, except that they are in the context of telling people what's right and what isn't. I would be happy to point these out if you request it. For example, "cat's paw" you have all wrong. "Ozimandias" was written in 1818, and Queen Victoria ascended the throne in 1819, so there is no way you can call it a Victorian poem. Shelley died in 1822, which hardly ranks him as a Victorian poet.

As to your other critics, "Good article but small" gets the bit about "my dog Ben" totally wrong, and your version is correct. Somebody points out that "we have to accept changes" - quite right in principal, but only regarding changes which add to the language; we ought to resist changes which detract from it and which tend to blur meanings by offering words and phrases which no longer uniquely convey a particular concept. Take, for example,the word "aggravate", which originally meant to make a bad situation worse [Don't walk in the rain - you will only aggravate your 'flu], but now is used to mean "annoy" or "irritate" as well [My little brother is so aggravating]. The contribution from "Er" demanding a comma after "contained" is absurd. You have a transitive verb with a direct object. Would "Er" write "I told, him"? I hope not. As for "Garbage", I would suggest he goes back to school to learn how to overcome the problem of the supreme arrogance of the sublimely ignorant.

Keep on keeping on. I will send you a private e-mail in case you wish to reply and take up a dialogue. I don't wish to publish my address here, but I think my comments may be of interest to the general reader.

Yours with very best wishes,

Keith

Show More
Share this Story

Similar Stories

The Freshman Ch. 01 Freshman Orientation - Jason meets Cecilia, his RA.in Novels and Novellas
A Plea from One Author to Others How Might You Improve Your Writing.in Reviews & Essays
Writer's Block A writer seeks and finds, a lesbian subject for her book.in Lesbian Sex
The Pledge Mistress Ch. 01 College student Lisa receives a job offer from her professor.in Novels and Novellas
Teamwork The writer's seminar was just the beginning.in Erotic Couplings
More Stories