Puppeteer Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Before he could continue I walked to my backpack and took out two buckles. I kneeled down in front of Sorr'an's knapsack and waved him beside me. "Watch me." I unwound the straps and then threaded each of them through a buckle. "Okay, put it on." The Katze sighed but did as I told him. "Okay, now push at the buckles like that." I showed him the motions and Sorr'an imitated them and the rucksack fell to the ground, the straps loose around his feet. "The straps and buckles will hold the backpack but release them if you lift them the right way."

The catboy blinked then grinned at me. "Great! Show me again how to thread them!" I did and it only took two attempts till he figured it out. He tried it twice more and then was satisfied with the results.

Sitting on the edge of his bed he rolled his shoulders and groaned. I massaged my temples for a moment and then decided to help him out. It wouldn't help us if he would be all stiff the next morning. I sat behind him and gently laid my hands on his shoulders. When he turned his head and looked puzzled at me said to him: "Okay, just a short massage to loosen up your muscles so that you're not sore tomorrow. You get used to wearing a backpack soon but till then..." I started to knead his shoulder, my thumbs easing tensed muscles. Soon I was captivated with the warmth that seeped through his shirt, the feeling of the soft and strong flesh under it. Sorr'an leaned back and started to purr. I unconsciously doubled my efforts and then Sorr'an rested his head against my shoulder, his smell invading my nostrils. I blinked and retreated up my hands. 'No, not again.' I cleared my throat. "I think I loosened up enough... I mean, I loosened you up enough. Time for bed, we should get moving in the early morning hours!" With this I went to my bed, not caring to undress further. I just hoped to fall asleep soon.

I woke up an hour before dawn and got up. I wanted to get start as early as possible because it was a four days march to the next city and there were no towns or inns on the road from now. So the earlier we get going the faster we would arrive at Dal Beron. I lighted a candle and while dressing softly called out Sorr'an's name. The catboy lifted his head and looked a little sleepily at me. "Come on, get dressed and we will get moving."

Mumbling something unintelligible Sorr'an pushed back the duvet and sat up. He was naked! I looked away instantly before I realized that I behaved completely stupidly. Sorr'an was a very good looking young man who didn't seem to have problems when someone saw his body, so why not enjoy the view? I looked back and saw how he pulled up his underwear and covered his butt. Damn, now I missed the best part. I enjoyed watching Sorr'an getting dressed -- graceful motions, almost no sounds. He always moved like that I realized. When he was done he looked over his shoulder and asked: "You ready?"

I shook my head and pulled on my boots and vest and then we took our backpacks and left the room. The kitchen was already quite busy, the landlady and two younger maidens preparing the breakfast. We got sliced roast -- leftovers from the previous evening -- cheese, bread and water as a cold breakfast for two coins, refilled our waterskins and then we left the inn and walked down the road.

It was an hour before dusk when we looked for a place to set up a camp for the night, the right time before it went too dark to do so. We had walked the whole day in silence; I tried to sort out my thoughts and dreams, Arias' warning in the back of my mind. I had caught Sorr'an once or twice as he had looked at me but I guessed he was just trying to figure out his travel companion.

We found a small clearing that was a little offside the road and had a small dinner with bread, fruits and fish which Sorr'an generously shared with me. I didn't want to set up a fire because of robberies that happened the last weeks between Arrandar and Dal Beron. It was a little after dusk, we had finished our meal a few minutes ago, when I heard a rustling followed by the sound of breaking branches. A quick glance to Sorr'an showed me that he had heard it, too. I held up my hand and signaled to a tree and the catboy hid behind it. I took a tree close to his and we waited for a moment and then we heard a curse. A moment later there was a flickering light and then it brightened, indicating that someone set up a fire. I looked around the tree and saw the silhouette of a person standing against the fire, their back to me. They looked into the flames and that was their mistake because that made them blind towards everything that was in the darkness around them.

After a small hand sign Sorr'an slid behind a bush that was a few meters to the person's left and I silently approached the figure; my right hand at my short sword, my left at my throwing knives. When I was five meters away the person spun around, calling into the darkness.

"Who's there?"

I drew my katzbalger and took a quick step to the right and two towards them, ready to attack when I recognized them. It was the guy from last night who wanted to travel with us. I lowered my weapon and took another step forward. "You shouldn't start a fire and stare into it, you know? There are bandits around."

A relieved smile appeared on the man's face. "Oh, it's you. What a coincidence. Where's your companion?"

I lifted a brow. "Turn around. But I would do so cautiously."

The man turned and froze. Sorr'an stood about half a meter away from him, slightly crouching in an attacking stance. The guy hissed. "Call him back!"

"What, you think I'm his master or what? But okay. Sorr'an, it's okay. I don't think he's a threat." Sorr'an scrutinized the guy and then relaxed slightly, rounding the man till he stood at my side. "You should extinguish the fire or else you are an easy target for robbers."

Smiling the guy brought out a simple stone that had a rune imprinted on it and threw it beside the fire. A second later I couldn't see the fire anymore and after the man took two steps he was also out of sight but the crackling sound from fire could still be heard. I took Sorr'an's hand and pulled him with me behind the guy and suddenly the fire was back in sight, blinding me momentarily.

"So you are a mage. I thought so. A Lichtbeuger, nice. But you know the fire is still audible and can be smelt.

The guy waved my objection aside. "The light would have betrayed me but robbers normally don't listen carefully and as long as we don't cook meat and keep the fire alive without smoke I don't think they can smell us."

I thought about his arguments. He was arrogant but most likely right. "Well okay, but if you don't want to use the fire for cooking, what do you need it for then?"

"It's cold without one, don't you think? I also like it's cozy atmosphere." I blinked. Cold? It was late summer and still warm enough to sleep under the sky without a blanket! "But why don't we sit down? I invite you to my fire, so we can talk. I like company and perhaps we can travel tomorrow together? If there are robbers it would be much safer. My name is Welf. Welf el'Aman nat'Murna. But Welf will be sufficient."

I looked at Sorr'an who shrugged. "Well, thank you for the offer. We will take it. My name is Niven and this is Sorr'an. We will fetch our backpacks and then join you." Welf nodded and we turned and went to our first campsite.

"How did he make the fire disappear?" Sorr'an wanted to know.

"He used a Lichtbeuger, a stone that contains a spell that deflects the light so that you can't see what's happening in a circle where the Lichtbeuger works." Sorr'an nodded and kept his face straight. "It's magic." I added.

"Yeah, I understood that. You think it will work?"

"Well, it tricked you, right?"

Sorr'an snorted and picked up his backpack then returned to the campfire and I followed him with my rucksack in hands. Welf had set up a tripod, a water-filled kettle dangled from it over the fire. He looked up when we sat down. "Ah, you're back. Excuse me for a moment, I have to attend to personal needs." With this he stood up and vanished into the dark.

I looked at Sorr'an. "What do you think about him?" I asked quietly.

"I don't know. He's a little weird, smells weird. But he tries to hide it."

"Well, he's a magician. Be careful around him, okay?"

Some moments later Welf returned and took three cups out of his knapsack. He filled them with hot, steaming water and then gave one to each of us. He opened a pouch that dangled at the rope that was slung around his waist, took some red-looking leafs out of it and added them to the water in our mugs. "These are southern cherry leafs, they have a mild aroma and help to relax." he explained. I looked warily at the cup in my hands but when Welf added the same leafs from the same pouch to his own water and took a sip I tasted it, too. It was a little bitter with hints of cherry and actually tasted quite well.

"It's good. May I ask where you learned and what kind of magician you are?"

"I was taught by a mage that lived alone in a desert far south from here. He taught me the art of seeing in a magic way, to observe my surrounding with magic eyes."

"Which university took your test and initiated you?"

Welf blushed a little and scratched his cheek, avoiding my gaze. "I didn't get initiated yet. That's why I'm traveling over the continent, from university to university."

"Who tested you at Arrandar?"

"Lady Nad'Norna."

"Belathia? But she's the First Magicae Communicatia of the West. Why would she test an unknown scholar from another special field?"

"Lord Warko wasn't available and he took his whole staff with him on an expedition. The First Magicae looked at all scholars and then decided to test me." Well, Lord Warko was famous that he almost never was at the university but taking one expedition after another. That Belathia chose this boy to test him was no wonder -- he was quite attractive and that small blush on his cheek gave him an innocent note that made him even more appealing.

"She... tested you, hmm? I wonder why you haven't passed; young, healthy men are her favorite... test-objects."

Welf blushed more and coughed. "I couldn't help her with what she wanted because I'm not interested in that way."

I grinned and nodded. "I see and she let you fail. Sounds like her."

Looking at Sorr'an Welf commented: "He's not very talkative, is he?"

"No, he likes to keep to himself."

Welf nodded and we talked for a little longer and then decided to go to sleep, so I rested my head on my backpack and fell asleep. I knew if Welf would try anything I would wake up and Sorr'an didn't seem to have a deep sleep, too. Besides Welf was an adept of magic seeing and that didn't pose a big threat.

The next day we traveled in a group of three. Welf was nice company. A little chatty but it was endurable. His Lichtbeuger was a good thing so we could set up a fire at night. While I sparked the campfire that evening Sorr'an let his backpack slide down to the ground and groaned, rolling his shoulders.

Welf looked at him. "Well Sorr'an, are you stiff? These backpacks can be a pain in the ass, right?" The catboy nodded. "I can give massages. If you want, I would relax your muscles a little. Sit down."

Sorr'an did as he was told and Welf kneeled behind him, starting to run his hands over the little guy's back. I squinted my eyes when the scholar slipped his hands under Sorr'an's shirt and kneaded the shoulders. The catboy started to purr in a low voice and then leaned back, pressing into the touches.

"I'll go and get some firewood; perhaps you two can make yourselves useful and boil some water." I snapped at them and then left the clearing. I fumed -- massages could be done later, it was time to set up the camp! I hit my fist against a tree when the images of Sorr'an leaning purring back into other hands flashed through my minds. Anyway, firewood.

When I returned to the camp Welf flashed me a smirk but I ignored it, took my meal and then laid down immediately -- if they want to exchange massages I wasn't needed.

The next day's travel was uncomfortable. Welf was talkative as ever but I didn't want to listen, didn't want to hear that bugging voice.

When we struck a camp this evening Welf offered Sorr'an another massage and I left to get firewood. 'One has to take care of the chores!' When I was back they had started a fire with the few branches that were scattered over the clearance and a steamy cup waited on my place. Sorr'an looked sleepy, his eyes drooping. 'Pfft, massages wear you out...'

I took a seat and drank the hot, flavored water. "Go to sleep Sorr'an, if you're tired. We need to get up early tomorrow and perhaps we can reach Dal Beron by nightfall."

Sorr'an didn't react. "Hey, did you hear me? Sorr'an?"

It was Welf who answered. "I think he's a little indisposed." He walked around me and presented me his bare forearm, holding it in front of my face while kneeling behind me. I could see a black-inked tattoo; a circle made out of words I couldn't decipher, snakes winded around them, a heptagram in the ring, double-lined and in its center a claw that looked like it reached out of it. Before I could react he drew back his arm and then closed my eyelids with his fingers. I tried to open them again but I couldn't. I panicked and tried to stand up but my body disobeyed my order.

Welf's voice sounded. "Don't try to move, you won't be able to do so. And now that your eyes are closed you won't be able to use your powers, demoneyes!" I mentally cringed with the words. "You were too careless, Puppeteer. Did you think I didn't recognize what you are? Oh, perhaps you thought that I, a small scholar of magic seeing who learned in a secluded desert, wouldn't know of your kind. But maybe you know the tattoo that is inked on my forearm?"

His voice took a proud and arrogant tinge. "The Black University of Udwayon. We have the best demonologists in whole Suenarie. So of course I know about cursed demons in human forms like you."

I could feel his breath against my ear when he leaned forward. "But your companion, the reason you're so jealous, is even more interesting. A Katze. Did you think I wouldn't notice? When we meet at the clearing that evening? His claws were prolonged. And his name, such a nice Katze name." Welf chuckled. "His name. You revealed his true name to me. How delicious. All I had to do was to beshrew the leafs of the demon cherry with a Morkran'ol curse and direct it to him."

Welf's voice now sounded farther away. "I don't think a low being like you knows anything about this curse, this poison. Morkran'ols are demons that fulfils your desire; the desire of lust and flesh. But they make you addicted; you cannot find pleasure and satisfaction anymore in what humans can offer. You crave for their service till they devour you and make you their slave.

Their curse is not that harsh but heat will fill your veins. First you fall asleep, like that Katze here did, but when you wake up, you seek, no, you need release again and again. You will fall for the one that gives it to you first, become their slave and obey their wishes even if they destroy you."

Welf was silent for a moment and then his breath fell in my face when he spoke again. "I will give this Katze his first release after letting him suffer for as long as possible. Did you know that the longer the release is denied the worse the pain and heat become? But if it is given then, the devotion of the slave to his master is even bigger!

I don't like man despite all my flirting -- oh how funny you acted -- so the Katze won't enjoy the release but that's not important. I have thought about what I will do with him once he's my slave. I could sell him to an immensely rich merchant. The transfer of my control over the Katze to a new owner is exhausting but for enough money it's doable.

Or I will whore him out -- do you know that only the richest merchants, magicians and politicians can afford a Katze slave? They are rare these days. I heard that Katzes make great pleasure slaves once they are tamed. So when I whore him out I will do society a favor, don't you think. Spreading joy and fun among so many people...

And when he's broken and decrepit I will give him to people who pay to torture him beyond repair, to death if they want. Did you know there are people who love it to agonize and torment someone till they die a long, painful death? I once saw it -- it's not a nice view, but they pay very much money and I think they will pay even more for a Katze.

Then I can sell his tail, slice per slice. His tail alone is worth a fortune! I think I will keep some slices for me. I've heard the effect is incredible.

What do you think demoneyes? Does it sound like a good plan to you?"

The demonologist took my chin roughly in his hands and nodded my head harshly. "Thought so. It's only a pity that I met you two together. I can't cast a curse for two people at once and you have to admit a Katze is worth more money -- who would pay to have sex with you? Perhaps some magicians would want you because of your eyes, but not nearly as much as I will earn with the Katze.

Still, a Puppeteer to my every beck and call, it was tempting. But don't fear, your death won't be without profit for me. I will take your treasures, your eyes. Maybe I can learn something from them? Or my master will be thankful to get such nice study objects."

I could feel a sharp blade pressed against my eyelids. After a moment it wandered down to my throat. "I'm not a cruel man, Puppeteer. I will kill you before I cut out these gates to hell. You should be grateful."

The pressure against my skin rose, nicked it and Welf hissed: "Now die, demoneyes!"

<<<------------------------------->>>

That's it for now. I hope you enjoyed the chapter - I did enjoy writing it!

I guess not everyone knows what the weapons Niven wears looks like, so here are some links with description, picture and stuff:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katzbalger

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poniard

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stilletto

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirk

12