Quartet: Eleanor Ch. 01

Story Info
Two mature adults meet and the sparks fly.
6.6k words
4.62
44k
9

Part 1 of the 12 part series

Updated 08/30/2017
Created 05/08/2007
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
coaster2
coaster2
2,593 Followers

This is the fourth and final segment of Quartet. I hope you haven't lost interest in the stories, but I felt the last segment lacked something and I wanted to spend more time on the finale. Thanks for your patience.

Eleanor Charlton married George Sunderland on a rainy, cold day in March, 1970 in Calgary, Alberta. It was an omen. She was twenty two years old and he was thirty seven. She was a junior secretary at a Publicity and Promotions firm and he was the twice-married Manager of the same firm. She was no virgin, but she was not very experienced with men and George was her polar opposite. He saw women as disposable and some say he only married them to legitimize the tax deductions. Their marriage lasted less than a year when Eleanor discovered her husband deeply embedded in one of his ex-wives on the sofa in their living room. It was an enlightening experience for her and another liberating one for George. The divorce was granted and a kindly judge awarded Eleanor a sizeable portion of George's income after noting his previous marital adventures and the reasons for their failure; namely an inability to determine which of his various conquests he was married to.

Eleanor had learned a valuable lesson. George was a philanderer and cared little for her conventional marital sensibilities. She would choose more wisely for her next husband, but that would be a long time in the future. In the meantime, she bent her efforts toward developing her career and with a singleness of purpose as she began a steady rise in the Calgary business community. By the time she was thirty, she was recognized as the most influential Promotions person in the city and was sought after for a variety of projects from Major Commercial Property Development to Shopping Centre Promotions. Her income reached almost six figures and she was invited to be the first woman to join the prestigious Calgary Businessman's Club. She joined, only to find it was a hostile environment for a single woman and she seldom used its facilities. Over time, she indulged herself with occasional male companions and her lusty appetites became the underground talk of the business community. She never lacked for willing companions for any social event.

Eleanor had come from a conventional middle-class family. Her father and mother lived in a modest three bedroom home in the University District and he earned his living as a professor at the University. Eleanor's younger sister, Evelyn, was six years her junior and was a completely different personality. Quiet and shy, she had married a strong willed oil field engineer, John Payton, and when the downturn hit the oil industry in the eighties, he moved his family to the coast and began a successful career as a process engineer with an international chemical company supplying the Pulp and Paper industry. They had one child, Julia and Eleanor thought the world of her niece. There was nothing in the background, family or environment that would account for the contrast between the two sisters.

On a particularly cold winter evening, Eleanor met Robert Thompson at the Calgary Businessman's Club where she was hosting a reception for the Heavy Construction Industry. Robert and his brother Harold were the owners of Thompson Bridge and Trestle, a family business they had founded and built from nothing to become the largest rail bridge and trestle constructors in North America. While it sounded impressive, their business largely consisted of repairing, upgrading and maintaining the myriad of wooden trestles already dotting the Western North American landscape. Both Robert and Harold were single; having devoted almost every waking hour to building and running their business. Robert, the elder, was 44 and his brother had just celebrated his 40th birthday. Eleanor, now 35, was intrigued by these two seemingly rough, self-made men. She had never met anyone like them and their openness and straightforward values were a refreshing change from the posturing and posing of the younger businessmen she was accustomed to meeting.

Eleanor's erect posture and 5 foot 9 inch height caused her to stand out among her female peers. In addition, she chose her business clothes carefully to give a distinctly professional appearance. Her fully developed figure did not go unnoticed despite her dress and it was Robert who sucked up his courage, boldly walked over to her and, when she was finally alone, introduced himself.

"Good Evening. I'm Bob Thompson and I would very much like to get to know you, Miss ...?" He was clearly expecting Eleanor to fill in the blank. She wasn't intending to make it that easy for him.

"How do you do, Mr. Thompson. It's very nice to meet you." she smiled slyly.

"You wouldn't do me the honor of joining my brother and me at our table, would you?" he asked carefully.

"I'm sorry, that won't be possible." The sly smile was still on her mouth.

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. I would truly enjoy spending some time with you. It isn't very often that I get to have dinner with a beautiful woman." He delivered the 'corny' line with such sincerity that it was all Eleanor could do not to burst out laughing.

"No offense, Mr. Thompson, but I'll be required at the head table. I'm your host this evening."

"Oh, well ... that's understandable. I guess that way I'll learn your name at least." he said smiling nervously.

"I'm Eleanor Charlton and you can call me Eleanor." Her smile was all Robert Thompson needed to see to know he had found what he was looking for.

"I'll look forward to talking to you some more when the dinner and formalities are finished." he said directly.

Eleanor leaned back slightly and took stock of the imposing figure in front of her. Somehow, she was intrigued by what she saw and would like to know more about this big, rough-edged man.

"Let's do that." she said brightly. "Excuse me; I've got to get things started. I'll see you later ... Mr. Thompson."

"It's Bob ... please." he pleaded as she turned gracefully and strode toward the head table without answering his request.

Eleanor smiled to herself as she walked toward the head table. Mr. Bob Thompson was a giant; at least six foot six and he appeared to be very fit. It must be all that outdoor exercise building bridges, she thought idly. During the dinner, she found her mind wandering and she occasionally looked over at the table where the Thompson brothers sat. There were no women at the table, but that didn't mean anything at this dinner; it was pretty much a men-only Association. She noticed that Bob Thompson was looking over at her on a regular basis as well. She tried to be nonchalant and appear to not notice his glances, but she was drawn to his gaze and was sure he knew that. She noticed that both he and his brother were tanned despite the fact it was January. She idly wondered if it was an all-over tan. She had never bedded a man of his size and wondered if he was that big in every department. She finally awoke from her sexual reverie and realized the evening was coming to an end and she was expected to say a few words to wrap things up; thanking the guests and speakers.

As the room broke up at the conclusion of her comments, Eleanor couldn't help but look over to the Thompson table and felt a moment of disappointment when she saw no one there. Almost immediately, she heard a strong, masculine voice behind her and smiled inwardly as she knew who it was.

"You run a very efficient meeting, Miss Charlton." he said in a surprisingly soft voice.

"Thank you. Why don't we try being less formal, Bob? I'm Eleanor." she smiled.

"You seemed a bit distracted at dinner this evening. I hope I wasn't the cause of that ... or ... then again, maybe I hope I was." he grinned.

"You're hard to ignore, Bob. You stand out in a crowd." she said with a sly grin.

Robert Thompson grinned back at her but was, in truth, completely at a loss for words. He couldn't remember the last time he had been in a social setting with a woman that he was this attracted to. His adult life had been pretty well consumed by the family business and he just hadn't allowed himself time for a woman in his life. He had recently begun to realize just how much he had sacrificed in the past twenty years He intended to change that and couldn't believe his luck to meet someone as captivating as Eleanor Charlton. What was the word his English friend used? Besotted! Worse than that, tongue-tied.

"I ... I guess I'm not used to the small talk, Eleanor. I'm sorry." he said sincerely.

"Don't apologize, Bob. It's a refreshing change from some of the glib young hotshots who specialize in empty small talk." She had put her hand on his arm and he felt a shot of adrenalin rush through him. "Why don't we head for the bar and I'll buy you a drink." she offered.

"Uhhhh ... fine. Thank you." He was clearly flustered and willing to follow any suggestion she might offer.

They entered the bar and Bob recognized a few of the attendees from tonight's dinner. They all seemed to notice the attractive hostess of their dinner was on his arm as they settled into a corner booth by themselves. They ordered their drinks and Eleanor quickly began to draw Bob out.

"What brings you to Calgary on a cold winter's night, Bob?"

"My brother and I have business here. Most of the bridges we service in Canada are between here and Kelowna. I was thinking about moving to Calgary. We're from Revelstoke originally, but this is where the main CPR office is located and that's where most of our business comes from. Besides, maybe it's time we tasted life in the big city." He was looking directly into her eyes and he hadn't blinked or wavered since he had started talking.

"Do you have family here?" she asked with the intent to find out if he was attached or not.

"No, our mom lives in Kelowna now since my dad died. Harry and I are both single, so there's nothing keeping us in Revelstoke any more." He had relayed this information as if he was filling out a form at the Post Office and yet his eyes kept their steady gaze on Eleanor's.

"No women in your lives?" she asked directly.

"Nah. No time and to tell the truth, I hadn't met anyone that would cause me to take the time ... at least ... well, you caught my eye tonight and that's a first." he grinned.

"I'm flattered. But then, you caught my eye too, Bob." She was almost shocked at the admission she had just made. She had been so careful around men over the past years that she was astonished that she had let her guard down so easily and quickly with this big, ruggedly handsome man.

"I thought you would have a line up of guys knocking on your door." he said with a serious look.

"I'm very picky. I have very high standards. No Bozos!" she laughed.

"Well, uh ... well, if I asked you for a date ... uh ... would I have a chance?" he asked as if he were still a high school junior asking the prom queen.

"Ha! Ha! Oh, Bob. You are special. You aren't like any of those guys I know. Yes, you can ask me for a date and yes I will go out with you." she smiled at him.

"Hot Damn!" He had a grin from ear to ear and only after a few seconds noticed that he had hold of her hands in his and was squeezing them in his excitement.

"Easy, big guy. I have to use these hands tomorrow." she said in mock fear.

"Sorry, Eleanor. I guess I got carried away. Sorry!" His apology was offered sincerely and Eleanor realized what made him so attractive was his genuine nature. That was the word that best described him to her: genuine.

"I'll be OK, Bob. A light working cast should be enough." she laughed. She realized she was having fun, but not at his expense. He was so straightforward and honest about what he was thinking that she was truly enjoying him.

They continued to enjoy each other's company and when the time came to leave, he asked her if she would have dinner with him the next night and was delighted when she accepted. He agreed to pick her up at her apartment. She had given him her address on the back of her business card and they agreed on seven o'clock. He would get some advice on the best restaurant in the city and then, thought better of it.

"Before I make a mistake, what's your favorite restaurant?" he asked seriously.

"Well, there's more than one, but I think you'll like Chico's. Why don't you make a reservation there."

"Done. See you at seven tomorrow." he said enthusiastically.

Eleanor turned toward him, put her hand on his arm, stood on her tip-toes and kissed his cheek. Robert Thompson, 44 year old successful businessman and almost a foot taller than Eleanor, instantly flushed a bright crimson. She smiled at his reaction and waved her good night as she headed for the parking lot. Robert Thompson just stood where she had kissed him, rooted to the spot, still with a bright red face and felt another surge pass through him. It was a feeling he had never before experienced.

-0-

Robert and Harold Thompson were the sons of Ralph and Muriel Thompson; originally of Nova Scotia, but now living in the Rocky Mountain town of Revelstoke. When the mines fell silent in North Sydney, Ralph Thompson looked for work in the West where jobs were more plentiful and opportunity for his sons would be better than a dying mining town in Cape Breton. As it turned out, he was right. He quickly found a good union job with the CPR in Revelstoke and for the first time, he could afford to buy a home and not live in a company cottage. It revitalized him as well as his whole family. Muriel found steady customers for her quilts and other crafts and they made many new friends in the community. The boys; then in their early to mid teens, did fairly well in school but excelled in sports; particularly football. Their size was such that they were all-stars on their high school teams both offensively and defensively. They had girl friends and thrived in their new community throughout their high school years.

Robert graduated first, three years ahead of his brother. While their mother wanted them to attend College, neither Robert nor Harold was enthusiastic about it. When they found steady work on the CPR trestle crews, the 'big money' they earned was the seduction that sealed their future. When Robert was almost thirty, he learned from his father that the railroad was going to close the trestle division and farm the work out to private contractors. Instead of being devastated by this news, Robert and Harold approached the division manager and suggested they were competent to take on a contract for repair and maintenance of the trestles in their division. They were quickly informed that they would have to apply to be given an opportunity to bid on these jobs. With the help and guidance of that same manager, they prepared a bid for the section from Revelstoke to Golden, B.C. plus all the branch lines along the way. They spent many an evening working on their costs and deciding how to bid the jobs and their homework paid off. They were awarded a conditional contact for the section and the Thompson Bridge and Trestle Company was officially in business. It was much harder than they imagined. It took them ten years to get themselves to the top of the heap in their profession. It was nothing but self-sacrificing hard work and total commitment to their business.

Neither Robert nor Harold had time for romance or marriage, but that didn't mean they were celibate. They had enjoyed a lusty youth and had 'entertained' many a young lady throughout their late teens and twenties. The formation of their company had put such demands on their time that their sex lives had declined almost to nothing over the ten years they spent building the business. Harold had availed himself of the local 'professionals' on occasion since he had no interest in developing a relationship over time; it was the one commodity he had little of. Harold was a couple of inches shorter than his older brother but was nonetheless still a big man. Like his brother, he was invariably polite and well liked by both their employees and their customers. Considering the rough-neck nature of their business, they didn't exhibit what might be thought to be typical behavior in social settings. Their parent's strong values were carried with them in all aspects of their lives.

As the business had matured and flourished, Robert had acquired a couple of 'part time girlfriends'. Carol, a buxom waitress at the Golden Mountain Inn Restaurant, was a delightful bed partner. She was a divorcee with two teenage girls and wasn't looking for a husband at the time. She was a few years older than Robert and they had a comfortable relationship that satisfied both of them. Robert would visit her on his bi-weekly visit to the far eastern end of his district. Carol did not know about Abigail. Abigail was a single mother of a school age boy and worked at the Three Valley Gap office of a road maintenance company. Robert would drive west from his home in Revelstoke the few miles to her home and they would have dinner and talk about events since they had last seen each other then they would have sex until it was time for Robert to head home. Abby, as he called her, did not know about Carol. Unlike Carol, Abby did talk about marriage and saw it as a way to ensure security for her son. Robert had made it clear that he wasn't the marrying kind but would be happy to help her financially when she needed help. Like Carol, it was a comfortable relationship based on sex and it satisfied Robert. Neither relationship lasted. After almost six years with Robert, Carol set up full-time housekeeping with a local truck driver and ended her relationship with Robert before she committed herself to her new man. Abigail was consistent with her interest in a commitment from Robert and he ended the relationship when, for the umpteenth time, indicated he 'wasn't the marrying kind'. They had been together for almost five years. At age 41, he was once again without a reliable source of comfort and joy.

-0-

Eleanor drove home from the meeting with her mind in confusion. She had not met a man that caused her to be so unsettled and yet excited since her first husband, the lamentable George. She had been around and involved with many men in the past fifteen years and had wearied of the search for Mr. Right. Now, out of the blue, here comes Mr. Big! He's nothing like she though she would want and yet she wanted him. She knew it almost from the moment he spoke to her. She wanted < i>him < /i>.

Just before seven the next evening, Robert pushed the intercom button on Eleanor's mail slot. She answered almost immediately.

"I'll be right down, Robert. Wait for me in the lobby." she said brightly.

"I'll be here." was his quick reply.

She walked out of the elevator less than two minutes later and stepped forward, put her arm on Robert's, stood on tip-toes and kissed his cheek. She stepped back and smiled at him.

"Ready to go?" she asked cheerily.

"Ah ... uh ... yah! Ready." Once again she had completely caught him by surprise and he was struggling not to appear the fool. He held the door open for her and they walked out to the curb where his taxi was waiting. He opened the door for her and then went around to the other side and got in. He gave the driver their destination and they were off.

"You look very handsome tonight, Robert." she said sincerely. He was wearing the same dark blue suit he had worn last night with a clean, conventional white dress shirt and a red and blue striped tie. Very conservative!

"Ah ... thanks. You look ... beautiful. I mean ... really nice." he stumbled. She was in a classic black cocktail dress that came to her knees and accentuated her voluptuous body. The silver spaghetti straps and the vertical, slim red trim along the side slit at her thigh were the only accents. There was more than a hint of cleavage and the side slits in the dress made sure he knew she was wearing thigh-high stockings. The rest was pure, unadulterated Eleanor. She had created the desired effect on Robert that she had intended. He was once again tongue-tied.

coaster2
coaster2
2,593 Followers
12