Quincunx Ch. 29

Story Info
Over the sea and far away.
6.8k words
4.61
7.9k
2

Part 29 of the 30 part series

Updated 10/08/2022
Created 01/31/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Quincunx 29

Chapter 14

I should like to thank my Editor, Kira, For the excellent job she's done.

After bobbing and rolling for about an hour, I disembarked on the quay side. There, there were a few youths who were offering up a carted luggage service and I enquired of them where I might find a respectable Inn.

Following their recommendation, I found a fine looking Inn on a quiet street. After booking in, I used my room to conjure up a bath to give myself a quick wash down before redressing in my Sunday best.

An enquiry at the hotel desk found me a stable where I could hire out a little cart. Once out of the town, the house was a fair way up a well-maintained country track. As I climbed higher, the view out over the ocean was magnificent.

As I got to the open gates, I stopped for a moment to fortify myself. I wanted to make a good impression, convince them I would be an asset to the family as a son-in-law. Things would be much smoother if her parents approved of their daughter's choice.

There was a small open carriage pulled up outside the door, a coachman waiting patiently. I pulled in behind it and hitched my horse to the rail. Ducking under the rail, I started for the door only to stop abruptly when Xen opened the door and exited with a robed wizard.

"Davor!" she exclaimed on seeing me.

She flew to my arms. "Rogue wizards have overthrown the rulers of the Far Isles."

"What!" I exclaimed, pushing us open to look into her face. "I knew of the troubles but this is the first I've heard of wizards being involved."

"Yes, apparently they've managed to reassemble a device from the olden days," she explained, looking earnestly into my face.

"Come on, we have to be off," the wizard behind her said gruffly.

"Braseric," she scolded him, "this is Davor, I met him in the university. He may be able to help as well."

"Fine, fine. Bring him along. The more heads, even young ones, the better," he replied, waving his arms to usher Xen toward the coach.

"Will my cart be alright there?" I asked Xen as we walked to the coach.

"Yes," she replied. "Braseric will give us a ride back."

He opened the half door and helped Xen in then climbed in himself, leaving me to follow and sit opposite them.

"Is anything else known?" I asked as Braseric studied me.

"No, very few escaped; they were the lucky few who were with ones who could control the void. All we know is that they have a magical weapon that can counter any spells cast against it," he replied.

"And them as well no doubt," I mused.

"Yes," he agreed brusquely. "That would be my guess."

"How was your journey?" Xen asked.

"Okay, I'm a bit travel sore yesterday but the bed and bath at the Grandee Inn had wonderful restorative powers," I replied for Braseric's benefit.

"A good choice," Braseric commented. "And what brings you here?"

"My love of Xen, I wish to marry her," I declared, catching Xen's cheeks colouring from the corner of my eye.

"Hmm!" he exclaimed, a little surprised.

"I was calling to ask her father for her hand when I ran into you," I continued.

"You're not from these parts," he stated.

"No, I'm from Skire, but I'm here to settle down with Xen and make this my home."

"Hmm," he acknowledged, settling back into his seat.

I glanced back at Xen, covertly flipping her eyebrows at me, as she, too, sank back into the cushioned seat.

I turned my mind to the rebellious wizards. There was a lot more I needed to know before I could equitably judge, but the use of a weapon struck me as either wild adventurism or desperation. Did they do it because they could? Or because they felt they had to.

Though the Far Isles were two, two and a half weeks sailing away, I could understand people getting nervous about the news of a magical weapon. Especially one dating from the dark days.

I was a little annoyed with it happening now, though I had no firm plan before I was now hostage to circumstance.

We arrived at a fairly imposing building and even had the carriage door opened as we stopped at the foot of the stairs. Braseric led us inside and up the imposing staircase, then to a room near the back.

The room held half a dozen older people around one end a long table. Though they were both ordinarily dressed, two stood out to me as their auras gave their magical nature away, with one looking quite powerful.

"Gentlemen," Braseric called as he entered.

"Ah, good," someone said as people came to order.

We joined at the bottom of the table.

"Braseric, aren't you going to introduce our visitor?" asked the man at the head of the table.

"He's with me," Xen piped up. "I know him from the university."

"I'm Davor of Pikes Manor. If I can help," I said looking around the attentive faces.

"You have a speciality?" asked one of the 'magical' men.

"Exorcism, I can remove redundant spells," I replied.

He looked slightly bemused.

"Never mind that," the guy at the head of the table said.

"That's Jertfut," Xen said quietly to me. "He's head of our council."

"Who's the one that questioned me?" I whispered back.

"Lixwerg," she answered softly.

"Xentha, perhaps next time you will ask first," Jertfut remarked dryly.

"My apologies, but I trust him implicitly," Xen replied.

"Now, there appears to be no more news so we are still in the dark about the weapon. Researchers think it might be the Cruciform of Jakes, it fits what the device does," Jertfut started, drawing all eyes to him.

"Whatever it is, it's resistant to eyes and void tunnels, and at this distance there is little else the wizards can do. They can view the surroundings and have rescued a couple more wizards but the castle is impenetrable."

He paused with a thoughtful look for a second.

"Whilst we don't know their intentions, we must consider whether they have larger ambitions. No doubt they will take a week or two to consolidate their power so there is time to study the situation," he continued.

"The University is organising watchers so we will have warning if the embark. Now have we any ideas?"

I sat back and wondered how my powers might match up against it. The next thing was finding out what the Cruciform of Jakes had been and what powers it controlled. I wondered what kind of library they had here while the rest talked on.

The name of the mystery wizard was Gulic; he was the Councils Advisor and our link to the University. As I expected, none of the ideas were original enough for him to pass on, though he thanked us never the less.

I would have liked to speak to him but Braseric was eager to return us home and Xen unfortunately agreed. I would also have liked the time and privacy to take my own eye-bourn view of the happenings.

The journey home saw me sitting opposite Braseric with Xen occupying the seat next to me. On the ride, I pondered again the cause of the rebellion. The more I learnt, the more nefarious it seemed.

I braced myself for the meeting with her parents as we dismounted the coach, and stood a few moments while Xen bid Braseric goodbye.

"I know this isn't how it was planned but it may be better this way," Xen said as we walked up to the door.

She opened the door and called, "I'm home," as she entered.

As we walked into the hallway a door opened on the left.

"So what's the news?" a young man asked as he walked out.

"Herisk, this is Davor," she told him, then turned to me. "One of my older brothers."

"Ah. Greetings," I said turning back to him.

"Greetings," he answered back.

"Is father with you?" Xen asked.

"No, just mother. Father's off with Gregor," he replied.

"Could you give us a couple of minutes with her?" Xen asked. "Go and tell the kitchen there'll be another for lunch."

"Oh intrigue and secrets," he exclaimed jovially.

"You'll know soon enough," Xen answered, giving me a nudge as she started across to the door.

I followed after her as Herisk set off the other way. It was a lounge, settees and armchairs around a low central table. There were ancestral paintings dotted around the high walls along with plants and statuettes around the skirting.

Seated in an armchair at the far end of the table was an ageing, but still attractive woman.

"Mother," Xen said as we approached. "I'd like you to meet my future husband. He came up to talk to father but the update meeting has messed things up."

"This is very sudden," her mother queried, while trying to mask her shock and concern.

"I know, I wasn't sure he'd come but now he's here, we want to get married."

"Who is he? I assume you met at that university," she questioned.

"Yes, we did. And he's Davor of Skire," Xen answered.

"From Skire, what do you know of him?" she demanded.

"That I love him," Xen protested.

"Davor," she said, turning her attention to me. "Tell me about yourself."

"I'm from a good family, I'm the second son of Lord Pike. My father holds the King's warrant to keep the peace in the Northern Reaches. We have a good lineage and baring accidents and illness, long lived," I replied.

"And where will you live?" she asked. "What monies do you have?"

"Enough for our needs. If necessary I can find employment. As to where we'll live, it depends on what's available."

"Hmm," she mused, turning back to Xen. "Are you sure?"

"Yes mother, I'm sure. I want you all to like him and be happy with us. He's my choice and I'm too old to forbid," Xen replied.

"I wondered if this might happen, for the past couple of days I thought we'd been lucky. Your father's not going to be overjoyed at the news but at least you are settling here."

"I have your support then?" Xen asked.

"Conditionally. I've no doubt he's a fine man in your eyes, but they're clouded with love..."

"He is polite, courteous," Xen cut in excitement colouring her voice.

"Alright, why don't you organise some cofftea for us all," she said to Xen, then to me. "Sit and tell me more about yourself."

I told her about myself, that I'd been destined to manage the estate until my unusual magical abilities had surfaced. By this time, Xen and Herisk had come back into the room and Xen sitting by my side as she served the cofftea.

"So Xentha, what is the news of the Far Isles?" her mother asked as she took her cup.

"No fresh news. The citadel is impermeable while life around goes on fairly normally. Jertfut posed the possibility that they might have further ambitions. He also said we have plenty of time to get organised if they do," Xen replied.

"They won't come here," Herisk asserted.

"No I doubt they will; if they only have one device, then they have all they can command now. Unless they're greedy they should be content with what they have," I opined.

"I hope so," Xen's mother added.

"Let them get on with it I say," Herisk interjected.

"Heri, people should be allowed to live in peace, no matter whether it affects us or not," his mother chided.

"Yes Mother," he answered.

"The problem is the weapon, the council can deal with a few rogue wizards but the weapon will require special measures and planning. That is where the fear lies," I said. "We don't yet know what it is or its full powers."

"But that's something the council will be working on," Xen added.

"I don't doubt it; we know they have an idea already. The Cruciform of Jakes, I think he said," I replied.

"So you don't think we need worry?" Xen's mother asked.

"No, I'd be very surprised if it touched this island in any way. It's up to the wizard's council to solve this problem," I replied.

"Well that's good to know, I hope they can," she said before taking a sip of her drink.

My tummy rumbled quietly enough that only Xen heard. She turned and looked at me. "Hungry?" she asked quietly.

"No," I whispered back with a slight shake of my head. "But I would like to ease myself."

She turned to her mother. "Mother, will you excuse us while I show Davor where to ease himself?"

"Of course, but be quick it must be near lunch time," she replied.

"Yes Mother," she said as she rose.

She paused a second as I stood then headed for the door. I followed on, closing the door behind us as I exited.

"Xen, what's your mother's name?" I asked, as we walked across the hallway.

"Seanne, and before you ask my father's called Mitztar," she replied. "I should have thought to tell you before."

"All settled. Now lead on to the toilet."

I followed her through to the back of the house and through a door into an outhouse. There was a doored cubicle next to a stone sink.

"I'll wait for you outside," she said with a smile.

"Ah, ha," I acknowledged as she backed out.

I did my business quickly, grateful that the roof was vented, then re-joined Xen.

"I know it's not possible now but I'd like to get some time and privacy to send my own eye over to have a look," I said confidentially as I shut the outhouse door behind me.

"I thought you'd involve yourself once you found out," she replied.

"I've known about the revolution since yesterday, the magic weapon is new to me. It might take a talent like mine to defeat it," I answered, dropping my voice for the last few words.

"I know," she whispered back.

"I don't suppose you've got any magic books that might describe that Cruciform device?" I asked as we walked back.

"No, Gulic might, we can call on him later if you want," she replied.

"No, that can wait till tomorrow," I answered. "Let's get this afternoon over with first, that's more important."

"It'll be okay. I think we have Mother on our side," she said as we got back to the hallway.

Seanne and Herisk were still sat where we left them and we sat back down on the settee. Even though it was only warm, I pick up my cup and took a sip to give myself something to do while we waited.

"Lunch is ready," Gregor announced, popping his head around the door.

"Ah good," said Seanne, standing.

She led the way to the dining room across the hallway, with Herisk a step behind her and Xen and I behind him. Mitztar was already seated with his plate of sandwiches, while Gregor was selecting his from the side table.

"Ho! a guest," Mitztar exclaimed as he spotted me.

"This is Davor," Xen declared. "He's come to talk to you about marrying me."

There was a clatter from Gregor but my attention was on Mitztar. His eyes widened as his jaw stilled.

"Marry, but you are still a child," he said after gulping down his mouthful.

"I am of legal age, Father; this is the man I wish to spend my life with. I wish for your blessing but my mind is made up, I will marry him without."

"Father's right. You're too young yet," Herisk interjected.

"This is not your concern. I told you on the trip home I am no longer 'little sister'," Xen countered.

"Quiet!" Mitztar commanded.

He turned to his wife. "Anne?"

"I sense they love each other, the lad seems agreeable enough," Seanne replied.

"I'm not so sure she has enough experience to judge these things," Mitztar countered.

"Experience goes out the window where love is involved my dear, besides she's known him from university and he's decided that being with her is more important than going home to live with his family," Seanne added.

""I'm agreeable to them pledging engagement, they can marry in six months if all goes well."

"No!" argued Xen. "We can enter our names on the register next week, time enough to arrange a small celebration should you want one."

"Why the big rush, you're not...?" asked Gregor, who was now sat at the table next to Mitztar.

"Gregor!" scolded Seanne whilst Xen barked a "NO!" at him.

"Interrogation over, you can talk to them after lunch, you two help yourself and come and sit," Seanne continued.

Xen and I moved around and filled our plates, then sat opposite each other in the only two spaces left. Mitztar started chatting to Gregor about the farm accounts they'd been going over.

Xen and I could do no more than smile at each other while we ate. Herisk finished first, but dallied over the last of his wine, only when Mitztar had eaten his fill and pushed his plate away did he excuse himself and leave.

Seanne finished and took Gregor with her when she left, leaving Mitztar, Xen and I.

"Tell me about yourself. Where do you come from, who are your family?" Mitztar requested.

Xen came around and sat next to me as I told him of my family background. He was surprised to hear I came from Skire but relaxed a little when he learned that my family had its own estate and title.

After I had answered all he had asked of me, he dismissed us, saying. "I need to discuss this with Anne."

As we walked out, I spoke. "I need to see to the horse; it's been tied up outside since I arrived."

"Okay, let me tell Mother first and we can take it around to the stables," she replied.

I waited while she popped her head around the door to inform them.

The stables were an extension to the side of the house; they had one groom and three horses there along with a carriage. Xen had him feed and water mine while we strolled over and leant against the paddock fence.

"Well that went better than I thought it would thanks to Mother," Xen said, taking my hand.

"Your brother isn't keen on the idea," I remarked.

"He's just bossy, comes with being the first born."

"Mm, my older brother an exception, he prefers the simpler pleasures of life."

"Are you going to get involved in the Far Isles?" she asked, gripping my hand tighter.

"Not if I can help it. Let the wizards contain them and destroy the device," I answered reassuringly.

"Yet you want to send your own eye to survey the scene," she argued.

"Yes, if I have to step in I have to know what is happening to know when," I countered.

"I was just thinking you should be careful," she said.

"I will be, I want a normal life."

"Come on then, we'd better get back," she said cheerily.

She released my hand as she stepped away from the fence and we walked back side by side. She led us back to the sitting room, where Seanne was sitting alone reading a book.

"Ah you're back," she greeted us,

"Yes, though I need to be off back to the town soon. Who would be the best person to talk to about finding a house to either rent or buy?" I asked as we crossed to the settee.

"Councilman Blundl," she answered, "he deals with transfers of property."

"You'll find him at his office," Xen volunteered.

"That's fine thanks, I can call on him when I get back," I answered.

"Remind him you were with me at the meeting," Xen prompted.

"I will," I said.

"What magic do you specialise in?" Seanne asked.

"It's more anti-magic really. I am able to counter spells. If Xen commanded the table to rise, I could stop it by taking the magic from her spell," I explained.

"I've never heard of that before," she said reflectively.

"No, I'm quite rare. I can also see magic and the auras of the people who command it."

"Curious," she said. "I expect that with the both of you wizards your children will have a greater chance of inheriting your powers."

"Oh Mother," Xen grumbled. "Having magic isn't everything. As long as they're healthy."

"They will be," I said reassuringly.

"Yes of course," Seanne added.

"Because there's not much use for powers like mine, I'm able to purse my own life," I continued, redirecting the conversation back. "Which leaves me free to move and be with Xen."

"Won't you miss home?"Seanne asked.

"Not as much as I'd miss Xen," I replied. "Home is where the heart is."

"An excellent sentiment, my heart and home is here and I could never leave," Seanne proclaimed.

We went on to talk about what it was like to live on the island. It came out in the conversation that they had six tenant farms and a large flock of sheep on the hills.

Xen offered a guided tour the next day, circumstances permitting; which I accepted provisionally, dependant on my meeting later with Councilman Bundl. After about an hour, I announced it was time for me to leave.

12